Best Guitarists of 2000s

PDA

View Full Version : Best Guitarists of 2000s

larry jones
09-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Everyone seems to think that the guitar solo has died- NOT I!!!

:headbang:

In fact, there are several phenominal guitarists that have played mainly in the 2000s

Some of them are Buckethead, Jesper Stromblad (In Flames), Tony Rombola (Godsmack), Synyster Gates/ Zacky Vengeance (Avenged Sevenfold), Dan Donegan (Disturbed), Matt Heafy/ Corey Beaulieu (Trivium), Matt DeVries/ Ron Arnold (Chimaira), and Brent Hinds/ Bill Kelliher (Mastodon).

I WANT TO KNOW WHO YOU THINK IS THE BEST OF THE 2000S AND WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

el57
09-24-2006, 01:11 AM
oh boy :rolleyes:

Jespers from Inflames, the godsmack guy and the distrubed guy being "phenominal" is prettty laughable

My personal favorite guitarist of the new millenium would be Muhammed SuiÁmez from necrophagist

brandendude
09-24-2006, 01:16 AM
i got a pick from synester gates :)

Kartman
09-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Steve Vai.

el57
09-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Steve Vai has been since 80's and the peak of his career was years before the year 2000 so I don't really see why he would apply. Yes, he still makes music now but hes not really a "2000's" guitarist.

aznrockerdude
09-24-2006, 01:21 AM
No Dragonforce?... lol

I vote for Trivium just because their solos sound catchy.

BlackList666
09-24-2006, 01:22 AM
i would say definatly matt heafy and Corey Beaulieu, even tho u mentioned them, but they are the next old metallica

Mr. Raw
09-24-2006, 01:23 AM
synyster gates.

ce12872001
09-24-2006, 01:31 AM
john frusciante, jack white, john mayer, maybe tom morello(too 90's?),

Panasonic Youth
09-24-2006, 01:35 AM
Off the top of my head:

Matt Heafy/Corey Beaulieu-Trivium
Alexi Laiho-Children of Bodom
Mark Morton/Willie Adler-Lamb of God
Herman Li/Sam Toteman-Dragonforce
Jon Donais-Shadows Fall
Jeff Loomis-Nevermore

Loomis-Amott
09-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Christopher Amott-Arch Enemy (I hate that he got out of arch enemy)
Loomis-Nevermore
Laiho-Bodom
The guys in Kalmah

into the moat
09-24-2006, 01:48 AM

In fact, there are several phenominal guitarists that have played mainly in the 2000s

Some of them are Buckethead, Jesper Stromblad (In Flames), Tony Rombola (Godsmack), Synyster Gates/ Zacky Vengeance (Avenged Sevenfold), Dan Donegan (Disturbed), Matt Heafy/ Corey Beaulieu (Trivium), Matt DeVries/ Ron Arnold (Chimaira), and Brent Hinds/ Bill Kelliher (Mastodon).

not quite.the llead from chimaira sucks. syn gates solos sound all the same, teh guys from trivium r far from teh best, although dan donegans solo in stricken is awsome he is by far not the best or the most technicly profficiant, same goes for mastodon, godsmack and in flames. buckethead is pretty good the i love the song spider crawl. i still wouldnt say he is the best tho. it is a hard decision.

comptonassdavis
09-24-2006, 02:06 AM
anyone but synester gates and alexi laiho

John Mayer has proven himself pretty able and strong standing. He's nowhere near virtuoso but he's got his ground and that's what it takes to be a good guitarist in my books...

pratt121
09-24-2006, 02:21 AM
I really don't feel your music taste, threadstarter. Disturbed? Blah.

I'm gonna go through and make a few comments on some of my favorite guitarists of the recent years, and my own opinion is in there... but just because I say something negative doesn't mean I don't like them or feel they're overrated, if I put em on here it's cause I think they're impressive.

John Mayer is one of my favorites of the last few years, the stuff he did with the "Trio" is pretty awesome and his new CD isn't bad, either. I think he's turning people on to the blues by mixing it with some pop melodies and structures and that's always a good thing.

Morello is great, but enough has been said about him. He's got undeniable style but I wish he would just stick to the basics a bit, it feels like it's almost a gimmick sometimes.

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is technically about as good as I've seen. His style is a nice mix of the eclectic and the latin flare thrown in. His guitar tone is pretty cool. He's a showoff, but he's definitely in a band that is designed to show off musicanship, so it works out.

Frusciante is pretty good. I think RHCP could be a lot better than they are if they dropped Kiedis and got a singer with some range, dynamically and stylistically, and his guitar tone barely ever varies.. but he's always coming up with cool stuff and I like RHCP's style as is, it just gets old after a while and I can't listen to an entire double album of theirs. But Frusciante is awesome, so he's an A in my book.

Like I implied I'm not really into metal. I don't care about whether a guitarist can rip so much as I care about their style and their tone and so forth. So there are your picks from me, a minority here at UG, apparently.

henza_x
09-24-2006, 02:41 AM
trivium > avenged
im sorry but ascendency > city of evil
friggin even hilary duffs greatest hits > city of evil.

synster gates was good in waking the fallen, before he got buff and the muscles seemed to wreck his head. that being said its obvious zack has improved HEAPS since waking the fallen.

Corey and Matt are GREAT guitarists.

sjones
09-24-2006, 03:30 AM
^^^I disagree. Trivium is a good band, but A7X is so much better. Plus, Trivium is basically a Metallica rip off band. I like both bands, but A7x is much more interesting to me.

larry jones
09-24-2006, 03:38 AM
i forgot herman li/ sam totman

my bad

larry jones
09-24-2006, 03:39 AM
and omar rodriguez-lopez

technically, petrucci and frusciante apply too

Evil_Empire24-7
09-24-2006, 04:41 AM
Ron Thal , Nuff said.

NileFTW
09-24-2006, 05:59 AM
^Ron Thal AND you forgot Guthrie Govan, they own this damn thread foo!

Jakeylee111
09-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Jeff Loomis ftw.

Evil_Empire24-7
09-24-2006, 08:43 AM
^Ron Thal AND you forgot Guthrie Govan, they own this damn thread foo!sorry forgot Guthrie Focking Govan Foo! :p: .

guns4ever
09-24-2006, 11:08 AM
i love syn gates/ zacky v of a7x.... city of evil is awesome and some of their solos are so trippy and i love it. all the guys mentioned in this thread are great though too and worthy of consideration.

Jaffaps2
09-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Buckethead, the most ****ing pathetic guitarist ever.

Acϵ♠
09-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Guthrie Govan, Claudio Sanchez/Travis Stevers :)

TheSeventhOne
09-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Alexi Laiho and Michael Amott.

I know he's quite good, but seriously, Matt Heafy phenomenal? Give me a break!

DaddyTwoFoot
09-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Since when is Buckethead a 2000's guitarist? He's been releasing albums since the early 90's.

deathinfire2112
09-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Buckethead, the most ****ing pathetic guitarist ever.

no my friend you are the most pathetic guitarist ever, because u probably suck ass and buckethead doesnt suck ass. so **** you.

pAIGEaSHLEY
09-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Keith Urban: Been playing since he was 6, has sold millions upon millions of albums, is recognized for his AWESOME guitar skills, is the best guitarist on earth!

Jehuty
09-24-2006, 04:37 PM
^^^I disagree. Trivium is a good band, but A7X is so much better. Plus, Trivium is basically a Metallica rip off band. I like both bands, but A7x is much more interesting to me.

I totally disagree. I dont see ANY similarity between Metallica and Trivium.

caughtinamosh
09-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Gravy - Mushroomhead
Ler - Primus
Buckethead

cubedeathk
09-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Probably Sten Hostfalt or John Mayer

TooLateForRoses
09-24-2006, 05:01 PM

The retard probably doesn't even know what he's talking about. One of his little emo friends probably told him that "twivium r t3h sux b-cuz i heareded that thay r t3h next muhtallica"

From that he probably assumed that they are a Metallica clone...

jof1029
09-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I really don't feel your music taste, threadstarter. Disturbed? Blah.

Like I implied I'm not really into metal. I don't care about whether a guitarist can rip so much as I care about their style and their tone and so forth. So there are your picks from me, a minority here at UG, apparently.
im in the same boat, i definatly dont feel the whole metal thing. the fact that every guitarist named is metal makes me think that people equate speed and distortion with skill. i really dont agree with that, but as pratt said, people like us seem to be in the minority on UG.

to be honest i dont listen to a ton of stuff that people on here would say has challenging guitar. doesnt matter to me, cause i like it. a lot of these bands i listen to play very well and very consistently, even if the stuff isnt overly complex. jasin todd from shinedown is an example. nothing too complex or anything, but the guitar always fits the song and everything ive seen from him live he nails it. the guy plays well and sounds great, but nothing is excruciatingly fast or over the top technical.

also, you can look outside of the mainstream, and even just to people playing small shows in your town to find some great musicianship. this jazz trio played a small show at my school last year and the guitarist was pretty impressive. he wasnt brilliantly fast or anything, but the music sounded great and their was a great flow in the band as they jammed. when the keyboard player took a solo, the guitarist fell nicely into the back and provided a great rhythm that filled the sonic space nicely. and that is why i would say hes better than so many of these metal guitarists. to my ears they all seem to have the need to stand out all the time and cant fill in the background with something interesting. it sounds to me like its either over the top, or lacking.

anyway, its kinda useless to name a bunch of guitarists and say that i think they are great. people here have their own opinions that i dont agree with and that doesnt bother me.

Paradigm Shift
09-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Alexi Laiho has been around before 2000's so he shouldnt be in that list.

Glen'sHeroicAct
09-24-2006, 05:14 PM
i definatly dont feel the whole metal thing. the fact that every guitarist named is metal makes me think that people equate speed and distortion with skill.

you're right... jack johnson is the best guitarist of the 2000s.
(note sarcasm(even though i like him(but not like like, i just listen to his music to chill sometimes(hes not a bad guitarist, but he doesnt play fast electric(but that doesnt make him bad, there's just good electric guitarists who are better))))) (and im not a metal head.) who is this trivium? but seriously. i hate trivium. and mushroom head.. haha, i freakin saw a commercial for their new album last night. i laughed my ass off when i heard the name combined with the music. MUSHROOM HEAD! what kind of name is that! it reminds me of those big gas-spewing mushrooms in the pikmin game. man, what a stupid name. ... mushroom head....

Seraphia
09-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Thomas Erak. He is brilliant in in every aspect. Plus he sings while he does all the crazy stuff he does. I mean how the hell does he do that??? Definitely one of the better guitarists of the 2000s.

metalmaster362
09-24-2006, 08:27 PM
michael romeo of symphony x

SunshineMan89
09-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Frusciante. He doesn't always play shred, but he can, and his guitar invariably just sounds right for the song. His rhythms are great and his solos are awesome-and he doesn't feel the need to show off in every single sonng, prefering to sound good instead.

IlIk2plygUItAr
09-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Tony Rombola (Godsmack)

:p: ROFL

Billy Talented
09-24-2006, 09:51 PM
I think Tom from Audioslave

Acϵ♠
09-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Tom Morello is an overrated effects *****.

pinballwizard92
09-24-2006, 10:47 PM
I like Disturbed because their solos may not be the best, but they are a halluva lot better the A7X.

Billy Talented
09-24-2006, 10:48 PM
I'd also have to say Dimebag Darrell from Pantera

larry jones
09-25-2006, 01:06 AM
no my friend you are the most pathetic guitarist ever, because u probably suck ass and buckethead doesnt suck ass. so **** you.
thank you my friend :)

larry jones
09-25-2006, 01:07 AM
I'd also have to say Dimebag Darrell from Pantera
dimebags solos in the 2000s sucked balls compared to his 90s ones

larry jones
09-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Tom Morello is an overrated effects *****.
wow u really dont know anything, do u?

tom morello friggin takes tremolo picking to the next level in like every solo, and even in songs like bulls on parade and sleep now in the fire (where he does stuff no one has ever done)

WOW

larry jones
09-25-2006, 01:10 AM
michael romeo of symphony x
wow im going to shoot myself thanks for catching me so i can finally commit suicide

larry jones
09-25-2006, 01:12 AM
im in the same boat, i definatly dont feel the whole metal thing. the fact that every guitarist named is metal makes me think that people equate speed and distortion with skill. i really dont agree with that, but as pratt said, people like us seem to be in the minority on UG.

to be honest i dont listen to a ton of stuff that people on here would say has challenging guitar. doesnt matter to me, cause i like it. a lot of these bands i listen to play very well and very consistently, even if the stuff isnt overly complex. jasin todd from shinedown is an example. nothing too complex or anything, but the guitar always fits the song and everything ive seen from him live he nails it. the guy plays well and sounds great, but nothing is excruciatingly fast or over the top technical.

also, you can look outside of the mainstream, and even just to people playing small shows in your town to find some great musicianship. this jazz trio played a small show at my school last year and the guitarist was pretty impressive. he wasnt brilliantly fast or anything, but the music sounded great and their was a great flow in the band as they jammed. when the keyboard player took a solo, the guitarist fell nicely into the back and provided a great rhythm that filled the sonic space nicely. and that is why i would say hes better than so many of these metal guitarists. to my ears they all seem to have the need to stand out all the time and cant fill in the background with something interesting. it sounds to me like its either over the top, or lacking.

anyway, its kinda useless to name a bunch of guitarists and say that i think they are great. people here have their own opinions that i dont agree with and that doesnt bother me.
yeah ur pretty much right...

but u didnt really give any examples of guitarists to add to the list- u just flamed me

anyway, i guess kenny wayne sheperd might apply here... maybe...

radiantmoon
09-25-2006, 02:13 AM
what about wes borland. This guy doesnt get the respect he deserves. He has been one of the most innovative players in the 90s and 2000s , Whether you like limp bizkit or not, there is no denying the man is one of the top players in the game.

larry jones
09-25-2006, 02:22 AM
what about wes borland. This guy doesnt get the respect he deserves. He has been one of the most innovative players in the 90s and 2000s , Whether you like limp bizkit or not, there is no denying the man is one of the top players in the game.
name one great just one great limp bizkit guitar solo or even guitar riff

just one

TheNoseBleedKid
09-25-2006, 05:57 AM
John Butler has acheived limelight in the 2000's so I'll note him.

jof1029
09-25-2006, 06:59 AM
yeah ur pretty much right...

but u didnt really give any examples of guitarists to add to the list- u just flamed me

anyway, i guess kenny wayne sheperd might apply here... maybe...
wait, that was flaming? i dont think i said one negative thing or tried to insult anyone. if you think that was flaming you need a thicker skin. besides, i clearly stated i wouldnt name any guitarist because people always just argue.

in other news, learn how to use the edit button. posting twice in a row is discouraged, posting 5 times in a row is just obnoxious. please edit your posts from now on instead of posting multiple times.

Acϵ♠
09-25-2006, 07:47 AM
wow u really dont know anything, do u?

tom morello friggin takes tremolo picking to the next level in like every solo, and even in songs like bulls on parade and sleep now in the fire (where he does stuff no one has ever done)

Tom Morello takes a beautiful instrument and abominates it with his silly array of effects. He turns the damn thing into a mere sound mixer. When i want to hear some cool effects, i;ll listen to some trance music. Morello, i hate his style.

Aidy Damage
09-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Matt Bellamy, no doubt about that.

rhcp lover
09-25-2006, 08:53 AM
and omar rodriguez-lopez

technically, petrucci and frusciante apply too

atlast im not the only one who say that frusciante is technically good

perfect_flaw
09-25-2006, 09:08 AM
To be different from everybody else - Tommy Emmanuel. But, to be the same to all of the rest of you metal guys - Herman Li and Mark Morton. I know speed doesn't equate skill, but damn Herman Li plays pretty fast... But without any "feeling" as some people say...

suicidalmoose
09-25-2006, 09:11 AM

nedavis
09-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Jack White, hands down. He plays every genre of music and has turned guitar from instrument to a tool.

And he's black.

pratt121
09-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Heh Heh. Most people are talking about the electric guitar and mainstream rock. I just want to remind everyone that you don't have to play rock or the electric to be a skilled guitarist.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ug9tmffllUI

I'm an acoustic boy at heart so... this stuff makes me smile. And some of those bluegrass-y jam bands have some of the best players in the world.

jof1029
09-25-2006, 12:32 PM
^ man, i love stuff like that. it sounds so nice and full, and is just awesome. whats the name of that band? and would i be able to find their stuff at a regular cd store or are they a real small band?

pratt121
09-25-2006, 12:59 PM
That's Nickel Creek. That song in particular is called Stumptown. You should be able to find their stuff at a CD store. The album I recommend most is "Why Should the Fire Die?"

http://www.nickelcreek.com/music.htm
The first 3 are good, Doubting Thomas is amazing, and they also throw in some nice jams.

If you're into it I also recommend anything by Ryan Adams. The guy is the next Dylan, Conor Oberst can suck it for all I care. PM me, we'll have a music sharing session when I get back from class.

vampwizzard
09-25-2006, 01:04 PM
in no particular order:

brad paisley
tom morello
john mayer
those dudes from dragonforce
frusciante
mike mccready and stone gossard

Simto
09-25-2006, 02:37 PM
John Mayer is without a doubt the best guitarist of the generation. I mean, name one other guy who can take blues somewhat into mainstream?

And just look at the guy live! he's the most talented guitarist out there right now.

And to everyone who think John sucks as a guitar player... just listen to the Trio, it's amazing.

timi_hendrix
09-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Matt Bellamy.

DaddyTwoFoot
09-25-2006, 04:18 PM
John Mayer is without a doubt the best guitarist of the generation. I mean, name one other guy who can take blues somewhat into mainstream?

And just look at the guy live! he's the most talented guitarist out there right now.

And to everyone who think John sucks as a guitar player... just listen to the Trio, it's amazing.

But he doesn't take the blues to the mainstream. He releases his crappy pop stuff as singles, not his blues stuff.

Cheap Poison
09-25-2006, 04:47 PM
John butler

AR GTI
09-25-2006, 06:03 PM
and omar rodriguez-lopez

correct. best guitarist of the 2000's hands down. incredible style, his playing is just butter. seriously nobody is as creative as he is.

josh

Blackout826
09-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I still say John Petrucci

TooLateForRoses
09-25-2006, 06:36 PM
John Petrucci was around in the 90's though...actually I think DT started in like '88 or something.

epiguitar77
09-25-2006, 07:48 PM
i wouldnt say zacky, hes good dont get me wrong, but hes not like syn gates in the band. i would say syn, heafy and beaulieu are also really good, and even though frusciante might not shred like syn or heafy his sense of music IMO is so much better.

all three of them though are amazing musicians no doubt

o yeah herman li and the other guy from dragonforce are amazing

Vantage
09-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Buckethead can play many styles....so he gets my vote :p:

TooLateForRoses
09-25-2006, 07:58 PM
We already went over the fact that Buckethead was around in the 90's though. This is ONLY about people who began producing albums in 2000 or later.

pratt121
09-25-2006, 09:00 PM
But he doesn't take the blues to the mainstream. He releases his crappy pop stuff as singles, not his blues stuff.
Everyone assumes pop = crappy. Not so.

It might be accessible for a lot of people but that doesn't make it watered down. "Daughters" was a pretty good song. "Waiting on the World To Change" is well written. "Body Is a Wonderland" not so much.

And he BEGGED his label not to release some of those songs as a single -- look at "Who Did You Think I Was?" -- that song is all about people's expectations of him and the reality. He used his position of being in the spotlight to turn people on to the blues (people like me, who had never even listened to it before). What's wrong with that?

SGstriker
09-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Kenny Wayne Shepherd

radiantmoon
09-25-2006, 09:55 PM
name one great just one great limp bizkit guitar solo or even guitar riff

just one

ignorance is bliss in your case, or maybe you are just deaf. Its really quite an easy question because he is a great guitar player. Here goes some great riffs he plays :

counterfeit
sour
pollution
break stuff
take a look around

just listen to three dollar bill and significant other and you will hear heaps. As far as solos, wes is more of a textural player and doesnt solo in the cliche sence and closed minded view of people such as yourself. At the end of the day what is good or bad comes dont to the indivual persons opinion because what sounds like a great riff to one person will sound crap to other people. imagine a world if we were all the same. Anyway name one great riff or solo you have written, just one.

larry jones
09-25-2006, 10:44 PM
yep forgot him :peace:

Acϵ♠
09-25-2006, 10:47 PM
You know what? I'll throw in Trace Bundy too. He's an AMAZING acoustic guitarist, possibly the best one i've ever heard.

larry jones
09-25-2006, 10:47 PM
o yeah herman li and the other guy from dragonforce are amazing
everyone seems to be forgetting sam totman

larry jones
09-25-2006, 10:55 PM
counterfeit
sour
pollution
break stuff
take a look around

just listen to three dollar bill and significant other and you will hear heaps... At the end of the day what is good or bad comes dont to the indivual persons opinion because what sounds like a great riff to one person will sound crap to other people. imagine a world if we were all the same. Anyway name one great riff or solo you have written, just one.
i cant say ive written anything phenominal in my 1 year with the axe
however that is besides the point

im not bashing bizkit fans, i just dont feel that he has any talent whatsoever

Burning_Angel
09-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Peter Lindgren. Mikael Akerfeldt > j00

They can play absolutely anything. If you want shred, listen to White Clusters Solo. If you want acoustic, listen to Harvest, Jazz = Bleak/Moonlapse Vertigo, etc.

DaddyTwoFoot
09-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Everyone assumes pop = crappy. Not so.

It might be accessible for a lot of people but that doesn't make it watered down. "Daughters" was a pretty good song. "Waiting on the World To Change" is well written. "Body Is a Wonderland" not so much.

And he BEGGED his label not to release some of those songs as a single -- look at "Who Did You Think I Was?" -- that song is all about people's expectations of him and the reality. He used his position of being in the spotlight to turn people on to the blues (people like me, who had never even listened to it before). What's wrong with that?

Excuse me? When did I say pop was crappy? Oh, wait a minute, I didn't. I said his pop crap is crappy. The Trio is excellent.

feltgrape
09-25-2006, 11:23 PM

John Mayer is amazing!

IMO the new album sucks though, doesnt sound like his other stuff, which is what i liked.

pratt121
09-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Excuse me? When did I say pop was crappy? Oh, wait a minute, I didn't. I said his pop crap is crappy. The Trio is excellent.I didn't say you said pop was crappy, I just was being tangential.

Dapimpy
09-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Adam Jones...duh

comptonassdavis
09-26-2006, 06:21 PM
not john frusciante

blackhorsemen
09-26-2006, 06:31 PM

The guy from Godsmack ?? are you serious ?? His solos are all the same , just wah wah stuff with some old pentatonic licks

Goin' Mobile
09-26-2006, 07:07 PM
No one.

hamett91
09-26-2006, 07:59 PM
i would say definatly matt heafy and Corey Beaulieu, even tho u mentioned them, but they are the next old metallica

Shut up. I'm tired of everyone comparing Trivium and Metallica. They're nothing alike.
Metallica=Metal Up Your Ass. Trivium=Takes it up the ass.

Sorry if you like Trivium, but I just can't stand how people compare the two.

Eclectia
09-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Ok im just gonna come out and say it; I am a better guitar player and musician than Tony Rombola, and I'm sure alot of other people on here are too. Most of those guys the thread starter mentioned sound just like a million other guitar players.
I think it will be alot harder in the 2000's to pick guitar heros, because of (what seems to me) a gradual slide in the music industry from recognizing and promoting creativity and originality to caring only about marketablility. The best guitars of the 2000's I think are going to be in small somewhat underground bands, just waiting for you to discover them. Not that there won't be great guitar players in more mainstreamish bands, but i think the less known guys will be more rewarding, waiting like gems for you to discover.

RedDeath9
09-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Paul Waggoner

http://www.myspace.com/betweentheburiedandme

radiantmoon
09-26-2006, 10:50 PM
i cant say ive written anything phenominal in my 1 year with the axe
however that is besides the point

im not bashing bizkit fans, i just dont feel that he has any talent whatsoever

your telling me wes borland has no talent at all? thats the biggest load of bulls%t I have ever heard on this site. he is actually very good and innovative. I could care less whether you like bizkit or not but to say wes borland has no talent comming from someone who has been playing for 1 year is ridiculous. The man can play, you are just deaf.

pratt121
09-26-2006, 10:55 PM
your telling me wes borland has no talent at all? thats the biggest load of bulls%t I have ever heard on this site. he is actually very good and innovative. I could care less whether you like bizkit or not but to say wes borland has no talent comming from someone who has been playing for 1 year is ridiculous. The man can play, you are just deaf.
Yeah well, I don't see anyone backing you up either.

AvrilFanUK
09-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Mark Tremonti - Alter Bridge/Creed
Matt Heafy & Corey Beaulieu - Trivium
Synyster Gates & Zacky Vengance - A7X
Dan Donghan - Disturbed

radiantmoon
09-26-2006, 11:48 PM

why do i need backup? the man has talent, simple as that.

rhcp lover
09-27-2006, 04:26 AM
why do i need backup? the man has talent, simple as that.

i second that

Saintsatan
09-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Buckethead
Alexi Laiho
Jani Liimatainen
Michael Ammott.

Well Nothing of that Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, As I lay dying, From first to last. It's all crap and all sound emo.

Remebol
09-27-2006, 11:43 AM
me... lol

walkinbazooka
09-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Petrucci.

Spoony_Bard
09-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Claudio Sanchez and Travis Stever.

pratt121
09-27-2006, 08:40 PM
why do i need backup? the man [wes borland of limp bizkit] has talent, simple as that.
I wouldn't deny that he's a good player. And I never did.

But I WOULD deny that he's in the same league as a lot of guitarists listed on this page, and I WOULD deny that he's one of the best of the last 5-6 years. I don't want to sound mean, but at the risk of hurting my e-reputation as a nice guy, this isn't a thread where you name every competent guitarist of the last 5 years, you name the BEST ones. And he just plain old doesn't stack up to a guitarist like Omar Rodriguez.

larry jones
09-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Adam Jones...duh
hes mainly 90s (Jambi and Lateralus r good from 2000s though)
i love aj, but he just doesnt belong due to when he played mainly :peace:

larry jones
09-27-2006, 09:10 PM
thank you partt121 you took the words right outta my mouth :)

EZLN libertad
09-28-2006, 08:36 AM
hes mainly 90s (Jambi and Lateralus r good from 2000s though)
i love aj, but he just doesnt belong due to when he played mainly :peace:

thats true, but they did release 10,000 days recently, so his new stuff counts

*cough*jeff loomis*cough*

Acϵ♠
09-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Guthrie ****ing Govan. Amazing.

steamin'
09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Neil Zaza!!!

goose3612
09-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Steve Vai has been since 80's and the peak of his career was years before the year 2000 so I don't really see why he would apply. Yes, he still makes music now but hes not really a "2000's" guitarist.

who is a "2000s" guitarist? I beleive the question was who is the best guitarist of the 2000's

my vote goes to morello

Drmckool
09-28-2006, 03:59 PM
how about John frusciante. he's insanely good

Acϵ♠
09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
^^ no he ****ing isnt. im sick and tired of people saying he's liek omg soooo good.

He's alright. At best.

EZLN libertad
09-28-2006, 06:18 PM
i agree with ace
and synyster and zacky?
cmon, anyone who changes their name for publicity and a band has got to have minimal talent...

Paroxysm
09-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Petrucci.

His Suspended Animation album beat the living hell out of TOT and 8VM from DT.

ar73m
09-28-2006, 08:06 PM
I don't see how can anyone say the Disturbed/In Flames/Avenged Sevenfold guitarists are "great"..... They're okay for the style they play in I suppose, but they've done nothing new, they've done nothing inspiring or interesting, and I doubt they ever will. They're nowhere close to being anything like Vai, Petrucci, Satriani, even Hammett or whatever; and again, I really doubt they ever will be.

Of all the newer bands' guitarists, the Dragonforce duet is probably the only one I find interesting, just because they do stand out of the crowd not with retarded image (Avenged Sevenfold anyone?), but with their playing and style (even though I'm not really a fan of it).

Then again, I hardly listen to any younger bands so I probably miss lots of things.

Edit: oh, remembered a name - John 7? or whatever was the number, is pretty cool. (the dude from Manson's band who now plays with Zombie). He's got style and he's got skill, though he does seem like a very shy and reserved person from his interviews; hopefully that won't stop him from progressing and developing and expressing himself.

And for all of you saying Petrucci - he's hardly a 2000's guitarist... He started out in 80s, and while he still writes tons of good things, I don't think it's fair to put him in this league.

radiantmoon
09-28-2006, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't deny that he's a good player. And I never did.

But I WOULD deny that he's in the same league as a lot of guitarists listed on this page, and I WOULD deny that he's one of the best of the last 5-6 years. I don't want to sound mean, but at the risk of hurting my e-reputation as a nice guy, this isn't a thread where you name every competent guitarist of the last 5 years, you name the BEST ones. And he just plain old doesn't stack up to a guitarist like Omar Rodriguez.

well you did say he has no talent whatsoever which was a stupid thing to say. But these things simply come down to opinion and he in my opinion is one of the best in the last 5 to 6 years. I almost fell off my chair in laughter when you named omar rodriguez but that is your opinion. If what was good or bad came all down to what one person thought it would be a boring world. So we can agree to disagree on this one.

pratt121
09-29-2006, 03:19 PM
well you did say he has no talent whatsoever which was a stupid thing to say. But these things simply come down to opinion and he in my opinion is one of the best in the last 5 to 6 years. I almost fell off my chair in laughter when you named omar rodriguez but that is your opinion. If what was good or bad came all down to what one person thought it would be a boring world. So we can agree to disagree on this one.
I didn't say Wes Borland has no talent.. I think you're confusing me with someone else. I said nobody is backing you up on saying that he's one of the best. And I said why. He's competent, but in order to be great you need to stand out, and he doesn't. his work with Limp Bizkit is just flat. Now, someone told me he has solo stuff, but I havent heard it, and if I hear it and change my mind, I'll let you know. But you haven't mentioned it yet, so I assume you're talking about Limp Bizkit, who is taken about as seriously musically as Deuce Bigelow at the Oscars.

And Omar Rodriguez is far more talented than anyone who plays Nu-Metal rap/rock (which is, in my experience, the absence of style... just energy rather than actual style). I'm not sure why that's so ridiculous to you.

blamehoffman
09-29-2006, 03:32 PM
not sure about 2000 but Sikth's Pin is the greatest my dream band would be
Guitar - Pin from Sikth
Guitar - Fredrik Thordendal from Meshuggah
Drums - Danny Carey from Tool
Bass - Tim Commerford from Audioslave
Vocals - Jacob Bannon from Converge
Second Vocalist - Maynard James Keenan from Tool

guitarted
09-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Thomas Erak

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

I haven't really heard anything besides these two's bands...

Part of the problem is since metal has had this so-called revival everybody has jumped on the bandwagon, but they all sound the same, which is terrible.

But at the same time I hate metal (with the exception of maybe Mastodon).

I_am_spartacus
09-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Muhammed Suicmez...He pWns all

larry jones
09-29-2006, 05:02 PM
But at the same time I hate metal (with the exception of maybe Mastodon).
yeah mastodon rocks

soccermom
09-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Mattias Ekundh, mofo's the guy can coax sounds of the beast that is the guitar.
Synster gates gets stick, but i think he is preety good, and he aint no music dyslexic. He studied at Berkley.

search49
09-29-2006, 06:35 PM
There's a little indie instrumental folk guitarist named Dominic Gaudious who's pretty awesome. Some of his songs (especially live) can start sounding the same, but his album "The Clearing" is very good. He's an excellent technical player.
And I must keep championing Nick Zinner of YYYs. He's not the greatest solo player, but his rhythm and background guitar, especially the early stuff, it so cool I can't not mention him.

Punk as atticus
09-29-2006, 06:50 PM
dude i vote like alexi laiho, the dudes from dragonforce, jeff loomis, steve smyth, jon donais, michael amott, willie adler and mark morton, and michael akerfeldt and peter lindgren. i DO agree with the trivium guys being up there. but if we're talking metal guitar heroes of this decade, those guys are the guys you look for.

rockergurl09
09-29-2006, 10:49 PM

I can't believe you left so many out!!

get the A7X guitarists out before everyone flames you
and you forgot
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
JOHN PETRUCCI
various obscure awesome guitarists from youtube
and there are a lot of past legends that are still alive

rockergurl09
09-29-2006, 10:53 PM
how about John frusciante. he's insanely good

you need to expand your horizons buddy. Sure, RHCP is one of the most tolerable popular "2000's" band I've heard, but they aren't "insanely good"

John Frusciante is decent at best.

radiantmoon
09-30-2006, 12:58 AM
I didn't say Wes Borland has no talent.. I think you're confusing me with someone else. I said nobody is backing you up on saying that he's one of the best. And I said why. He's competent, but in order to be great you need to stand out, and he doesn't. his work with Limp Bizkit is just flat. Now, someone told me he has solo stuff, but I havent heard it, and if I hear it and change my mind, I'll let you know. But you haven't mentioned it yet, so I assume you're talking about Limp Bizkit, who is taken about as seriously musically as Deuce Bigelow at the Oscars.

And Omar Rodriguez is far more talented than anyone who plays Nu-Metal rap/rock (which is, in my experience, the absence of style... just energy rather than actual style). I'm not sure why that's so ridiculous to you.

im sorry but that is bulls%t. his work is not flat and is actually very original and innovative. he is really a great player. omar is sloppy and messy he is definately not one of the best. I have no idea why you cannot hear his talent in bizkit? as i say it all comes down to opinion and we beg to differ. Unless what is good and bad all comes down to you and what you say.

Nor'Easterbass
09-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Buz from Unearth. Just listen to all his solos. They're technical as hell, sound fuc.king amazing, and will make ur jaw drop when u see him play them. He's a great guitarist of the new millenium.

Nor'Easterbass
09-30-2006, 11:10 AM
im sorry but that is bulls%t. his work is not flat and is actually very original and innovative. he is really a great player. omar is sloppy and messy he is definately not one of the best. I have no idea why you cannot hear his talent in bizkit? as i say it all comes down to opinion and we beg to differ. Unless what is good and bad all comes down to you and what you say.

Agree with first guy: NuMetal is absence of style and talent. NuMetal and new bands that play watered down "heavy metal" like disturbed are a generic trend and nothing more. sorry to break it to you.

jof1029
09-30-2006, 01:53 PM
you need to expand your horizons buddy. Sure, RHCP is one of the most tolerable popular "2000's" band I've heard, but they aren't "insanely good"

you do realize that frusciante doesnt just play with the RHCP dont you? his solo stuff is great. he is a great guitarist, just doesnt sit there and shred the whole time. i wouldnt consider him a 2000s guitarist tho, hes been around since the 80s. i would in no way consider the chilis a 2000s band, especially since the band has been around longer than most people posting in this thread have been alive.

i still stand by what i said earlier though, some of you people need to realize that there are guitarists outside of metal that are good. technicality isnt everything.

Nor'Easterbass
09-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah but i would take Vai or Malmsteen over Frusciante any day dude. just the truth. RHCP are great songwriters tho and frusciante is still one of my favorite non-metal guitarists.

VR2005
09-30-2006, 02:38 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I forgot that commerical music has gone down the drains ever since the 80s hit...man, that sucks.

pratt121
09-30-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm asking you this with a completely straight face:

Are you pulling everyone's leg here? Having funsies with us? Or... is it the more frightening alternative?

larry jones
09-30-2006, 08:09 PM
i forgot a few guys here are some additions:

Karl Sanders of Nile
Jeff Loomis of Nevermore

you could make a point for including these guys (even though they were mainly 80-90s):
steve vai
satch
john petrucci
tom morello (all 90s)

radiantmoon
09-30-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm asking you this with a completely straight face:

Are you pulling everyone's leg here? Having funsies with us? Or... is it the more frightening alternative?

so in other words you are saying what is good or bad comes down to what you personally think. I might aswel throw away all my cds and get you to give me a list of what to buy. I try to say that it all comes down to personal opinion but you still dont seem to get it. that is ignorance. Wes is a a talented, innovative player and to me he is one of the best. simple as that. peace.

rockergurl09
09-30-2006, 10:41 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I forgot that commerical music has gone down the drains ever since the 80s hit...man, that sucks.

shame... no incredible commercial music since the 80's aka Golden Age of Music.

by the way, the cat in your avatar looks EXACTLY like my cat except mine's a lot leaner. Just had to say that.

pratt121
10-01-2006, 12:40 PM
so in other words you are saying what is good or bad comes down to what you personally think. I might aswel throw away all my cds and get you to give me a list of what to buy. I try to say that it all comes down to personal opinion but you still dont seem to get it. that is ignorance. Wes is a a talented, innovative player and to me he is one of the best. simple as that. peace.
You're calling ME ignorant? No, I get it. I understand that you have an opinion. I still don't know WHY. You have yet to PROVE to me that your opinion is qualified.

No, you have a right to your opinion, but I think your opinion sucks. I'm not the only one, either. And I think you have horrible taste in music. And I'm not afraid to say my own, but I won't try to change your taste or opinion. You think a guy who plays Nu-Metal rap/rock is a talented innovative player and Omar Rodriguez (critically acclaimed, widely regarded as talented/innovative) is "messy and sloppy"? And I'M ignorant?

morco
10-01-2006, 03:06 PM
TOM MORELLO (for his insane style, and his top class technical skill, BY FAR the best.)

the runner up

NOEL GALLAGHER (for his songwriting talents, and his great sounding solos, top class)

VR2005
10-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Yeah that was her like a year ago, she's gotten really tiny lately. It's probably because she's 16 years old.

spuime4c1es
10-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Off the top of my head:

Matt Heafy/Corey Beaulieu-Trivium
Mark Morton/Willie Adler-Lamb of God
Herman Li/Sam Toteman-Dragonforce
Jon Donais-Shadows Fall
Jeff Loomis-Nevermore

I agree with this.. minus lamb of god.

they don't do it for me.
but yeah..
I'd replace them with Ville - Insomnium

Wonthefu
10-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Probably nobody will agree with me, but I like Daron Malakian's playing a lot. He's got speed, but the riffs also fit well.

Adam Jones from Tool is another standout player, for the fact his playing always fits too. His tone is magnificent, and hearing him play aways cheers me up. And while I realize it's not from the '00's, Undertow is one of my favourite albums ever.

ouchies
10-01-2006, 08:30 PM
out of those guys id say buckethead

sjones
10-01-2006, 08:40 PM
i agree with ace
and synyster and zacky?
cmon, anyone who changes their name for publicity and a band has got to have minimal talent...
So people who use stage/changed names suck eh....
Slash, Bob Dylan, The Edge....

yeh...all of them definately suck...retard.

Acϵ♠
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM

omfg.

Have my babies rockergurl!!

I *loathe* Frusciante. I actually said a few pages back he's decent at best. Great minds think alike son!

Note to radiantmoon:

You like Limp Bizkit, therefore your opinion automatically doesn't count.

radiantmoon
10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
You're calling ME ignorant? No, I get it. I understand that you have an opinion. I still don't know WHY. You have yet to PROVE to me that your opinion is qualified.

No, you have a right to your opinion, but I think your opinion sucks. I'm not the only one, either. And I think you have horrible taste in music. And I'm not afraid to say my own, but I won't try to change your taste or opinion. You think a guy who plays Nu-Metal rap/rock is a talented innovative player and Omar Rodriguez (critically acclaimed, widely regarded as talented/innovative) is "messy and sloppy"? And I'M ignorant?

as i say it comes down to opinion and i cant stand the mars volta. And why do i have to prove to anyone why my opinion is qaulified because i certainly dont care if you like it or not. What i cannot stand is ignorant people trying to tell me I shouldnt like a certain player because they think they suck. you have no grasp on what music is about my little friend. And to judge my whole musical taste on one guitar player I have mentioned is getting even more ignorant, someone didnt get enough cuddles as a baby?? am I right? Oh and now i see your playing the whole genre sucks game, my god you must have been beat up with the ignorant stick. Anyway I have tried to make peace and say it comes down to opinion but you still have to break my balls. You do relise that wes borland is highly acclaimed in his own right but you are too ignorant to see that. Oh and I do have one more opinion incase you didnt notice, your ignorant. peace

ReelBigPhish
10-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Come on people TREY ASTIANSO
(did i spell the last name right?)
anyways....the guitarist from phish is AMAZING

pratt121
10-01-2006, 11:04 PM
as i say it comes down to opinion and i cant stand the mars volta. And why do i have to prove to anyone why my opinion is qaulified because i certainly dont care if you like it or not. What i cannot stand is ignorant people trying to tell me I shouldnt like a certain player because they think they suck. you have no grasp on what music is about my little friend. And to judge my whole musical taste on one guitar player I have mentioned is getting even more ignorant, someone didnt get enough cuddles as a baby?? am I right? Oh and now i see your playing the whole genre sucks game, my god you must have been beat up with the ignorant stick. Anyway I have tried to make peace and say it comes down to opinion but you still have to break my balls. You do relise that wes borland is highly acclaimed in his own right but you are too ignorant to see that. Oh and I do have one more opinion incase you didnt notice, your ignorant. peace
I don't need you to prove it to me, I'm just trying to get you to explain your opinion to me. Give me a few reasons why you like him, instead of just praise for all this stuff he does. Give me a few good songs to listen to where he actually shows off unique style, not just the crap that I've heard. If I'm ignorant to why he's good, show me why he's good. That's the point. I disagree with your opinion, but rather than defend your opinion in a way that I can respect, you instead lash out in personal defense and call me names? And I didn't get enough cuddles as a baby?

Prove to me why Wes Borland (and his fans, as there appear to be legions of them... cough) understand(s) what music is all about more than someone from The Mars Volta, or better than any of the names listed in this thread? Just give me something solid that you can base all this garbage on, and I'll lay off you. But until then, you're just saying nothing... you're just insulting people and being an idiot.

I don't care about complexity in music. Most of the stuff I like is minimalist. Acoustic guitar, vocals, maybe a few other instruments but nothing overly complex for the sake of complexity. Depth is different from complexity. And I think that in order to call me ignorant you would have to know something of my influences other than "I don't think the guy from Limp Bizkit is one of the best guitarists of the last decade." If I said that to a random person, they wouldn't call me ignorant, they'd agree. So give me a reason that I should agree with you other than "We have different opinions and that's that..." -- what is your opinion based on? I'm trying to probe for information here, and the fact that you're unwilling to give it makes you look like a jackass who's wrong.

iliveincoto
10-01-2006, 11:08 PM
the fact that you two (radiantmoon and pratt121) are still arguing shows that you are both ignorant. You have different tastes in music, get over it.

With that said, I think Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is the most innovative guitarist of the 2000's, however, don't think I am siding with pratt121. I think you should both shut up and get a life. The fact that you are arguing over a public internet forum about which guitarist YOU like better just reeks of immaturity.

pratt121
10-01-2006, 11:14 PM
the fact that you two (radiantmoon and pratt121) are still arguing shows that you are both ignorant. You have different tastes in music, get over it.

With that said, I think Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is the most innovative guitarist of the 2000's, however, don't think I am siding with pratt121. I think you should both shut up and get a life. The fact that you are arguing over a public internet forum about which guitarist YOU like better just reeks of immaturity.
And here come the mudslingers.

Who cares if it's immature? It's the internet. I don't want to insult his opinion, just understand it. Because, what the hell, I don't get it at all.

iliveincoto
10-01-2006, 11:21 PM
And here come the mudslingers.

So now your trying to insult me? Get over the fact that people have different opinions. You say you are "trying to understand why." The fact is you are carrying something on that could've ended a while ago. People start reading this thread in order to post what they like and maybe see what else is out there, and here you come talking sh** on other peoples' opinions. It's an OPINION. Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean you should rip on someone til they tell you what you want to hear. Nobody wants to read all your BS. GET OVER IT.

Or at least do everyone else a favor and take it to PMs.

Acϵ♠
10-02-2006, 07:18 AM
@ iliveincoto:

You're not any better for getting involved. I think a certain kettle is calling a certain pot a certain colour...

uncballer11
10-02-2006, 07:31 AM
herman li and the other guy from dragonforce

iliveincoto
10-02-2006, 09:35 AM
@ iliveincoto:

You're not any better for getting involved. I think a certain kettle is calling a certain pot a certain colour...

haha well played.

You're right though. I am getting myself involved. I'll just let them go then.

jof1029
10-02-2006, 12:14 PM
^ exactly. i mean why contribute to the degradation of a highly useful and informative thread :rolleyes:

for those of you who didnt get it, this thread is completely useless and pointless.

radiantmoon
10-02-2006, 10:22 PM
I don't need you to prove it to me, I'm just trying to get you to explain your opinion to me. Give me a few reasons why you like him, instead of just praise for all this stuff he does. Give me a few good songs to listen to where he actually shows off unique style, not just the crap that I've heard. If I'm ignorant to why he's good, show me why he's good. That's the point. I disagree with your opinion, but rather than defend your opinion in a way that I can respect, you instead lash out in personal defense and call me names? And I didn't get enough cuddles as a baby?

Prove to me why Wes Borland (and his fans, as there appear to be legions of them... cough) understand(s) what music is all about more than someone from The Mars Volta, or better than any of the names listed in this thread? Just give me something solid that you can base all this garbage on, and I'll lay off you. But until then, you're just saying nothing... you're just insulting people and being an idiot.

I don't care about complexity in music. Most of the stuff I like is minimalist. Acoustic guitar, vocals, maybe a few other instruments but nothing overly complex for the sake of complexity. Depth is different from complexity. And I think that in order to call me ignorant you would have to know something of my influences other than "I don't think the guy from Limp Bizkit is one of the best guitarists of the last decade." If I said that to a random person, they wouldn't call me ignorant, they'd agree. So give me a reason that I should agree with you other than "We have different opinions and that's that..." -- what is your opinion based on? I'm trying to probe for information here, and the fact that you're unwilling to give it makes you look like a jackass who's wrong.

I guarantee if you told some people they would agree with what your saying but I can assure you that it wouldnt be everyone. And I can also tell you a lot of people would agree with me saying the mars volta are **** and some people would disagree. Thats called an opinion. Now that I have cleared up the definition of what an opinion is seeing you clearly didnt know before I will move on to why I like wes borland. His use of dynamics are awesome and intuitive, his rhythm playing is tight and explosive , his interplay with the other band memebers compliments them perfectly,his guitar parts are creative and very original. At the end of the day it is quite hard to explain why I like a certain guitar player, but the most important thing is that the music touches me and his certainly does. listen to three dollar bill and significant other as I think he was at his best on these 2 albums, but hey thats just my opinion. :cool:

Acϵ♠
10-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Like i said: you like Limp Bizkit so nothing you say matters.

Omar Rodriguez is great.

John Frusciante is overrated.

The end. This thread oughta be closed.

radiantmoon
10-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Like i said: you like Limp Bizkit so nothing you say matters.

Omar Rodriguez is great.

John Frusciante is overrated.

The end. This thread oughta be closed.

your maturity and insight really shows. :p:

Shinozoku
10-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Alexi and Roope from Children of Bodom.

Matt and Corey from Trivium (their old stuff mostly, I haven't heard but two of thier new songs, but there's still some of the old stuff there)

John Mayer

Morello and Froosh

The Amott brothers from Arch Enemy

Herman and Sam from Dragonforce (I don't care what all you guys have to say "oh, they're covering up crappy playing with effects, all they know is speed, yak yak blah blah dribble dribble dribble", listen to more than just Inhuman Rampage before judging them. Also, at the end of IHR is a ballad of sorts that has some beautiful slower soloing in it)

These are my opinions and I'm sticking to them. If you have a different opinion about these players, then please state said opinion in a dignified manner. Just because you don't like a person's style doesn't mean they suck. Anyway, I've rambled enough.

xXxC.CxXx
10-03-2006, 12:01 AM
deffinately hendrix.......................................................................im jokin dont shoot

pratt121
10-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Interestingly enough Radiantmoon that's a lot of the reasons I like Omar Rodriguez and John Mayer and all the other guitarists in here... I guess you have just a wierd style. Style is a matter of opinion, and now we can lay this to rest. I just hadn't heard any of the reasons for your opinion and I wanted to coax them out of you. In fact all I was doing was trying to understand your opinion and where it comes from (and I criticized it because you hadn't backed it up at all) which is the opposite of ignorance, from what I'm told.

And to everyone else who tried to intervene, shut the hell up. This is a website where I talk to strangers about stupid things like the guitar because we all know our real friends wouldn't listen, since when do I have to take it seriously? This isn't a place for structured debate. "When the yellow light shows, candidates will have 30 more seconds. When the red light shows, they will wrap up their sentence and move on to the next subject."

jman32892006
10-03-2006, 03:08 PM
If anyone wants to see some of the best guitarist, go to google video...

search for guitars SUCK...

watch all 5 videos....

Be amazed.... :)

`NeXxuS`
10-03-2006, 07:46 PM
That dude from Necrophagist.

ReelBigPhish
10-03-2006, 10:38 PM
i guess nobody likes phish and trey....defenently a great

radiantmoon
10-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Interestingly enough Radiantmoon that's a lot of the reasons I like Omar Rodriguez and John Mayer and all the other guitarists in here... I guess you have just a wierd style. Style is a matter of opinion, and now we can lay this to rest. I just hadn't heard any of the reasons for your opinion and I wanted to coax them out of you. In fact all I was doing was trying to understand your opinion and where it comes from (and I criticized it because you hadn't backed it up at all) which is the opposite of ignorance, from what I'm told.

And to everyone else who tried to intervene, shut the hell up. This is a website where I talk to strangers about stupid things like the guitar because we all know our real friends wouldn't listen, since when do I have to take it seriously? This isn't a place for structured debate. "When the yellow light shows, candidates will have 30 more seconds. When the red light shows, they will wrap up their sentence and move on to the next subject."

call it weird if you like but I think liking john mayer and mars volta is weird so lets put it to rest. peace.

Tyler17
11-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Zacky Vengence, Synyster Gates - Avenged Sevenfold
Herman Li, Sam Totman - Dragonforce
Matt Heafy, Corey Bealieu - Trivium
HANDS DOWN....

IF YOU DISAGREE YOU SUCK.....

catchtherainbow
11-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Tom Morello
Alexi Laiho
Billy Howerdel (yes his composing skills are great)
Dave Navarro (not shredder but he makes the guitar sound good)

and most importantly,

SLASH...I dun care, he's timeless...

C-Dextrous
11-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Daron Malakian

Matt Bellamy

Joe Bonnamassa

Daggorath
11-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Jeff Loomis + Alexi Laiho.

Enough said. They're both technically awesome and great composers. Yes there are probably faster/more impressive guitarists out there, but these guys write as good/original as I've heard in this millennia.

de.sandman
11-15-2006, 03:11 AM
what? no Mark Tremonti?...i vote him! say what you want, he's the guy who got me inspired to pick up the guitar. :)

Slash Jr.
11-15-2006, 07:27 AM
^ :cheers:

Mark Tremonti can rip.

Jim #4
11-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Corey Bealieu - Trivium
Buz McGrath - Unearth

those two are insane players, especially if you consider their age...

not to forget Marc Rizzo...listen to his solo album...

Mr.Rodgers
11-15-2006, 02:28 PM

Listen to the opening riff of Unrepentant from The Crusade by Trivium...

...then listen to Through the Never off of The Black Album by Metallica and tell us they don't sound anything alike..

Klondikekat
11-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Mark Tremonti(Alter Bridge)
Chris Broderick(Jag Panzer)
Jeff Loomis(Nevermore)
Corey Bealieu(Trivium)
Tom S. Englundh and Henrik Danhage(Evergrey)

notsojoeyb4eva
11-15-2006, 04:46 PM
WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Where's Matt Belamy(muse)????? One awsome guy. Frusciante. John Mayer. Kasabian's guitarist. My chems lead guitarist. Dirty Pretty things frontman. John fratteli (gig in one month whoooo)
Yeah you'll all disagree
uuuh

Hidde
11-15-2006, 06:42 PM

Buckets been playing since the late 80s

Ummm... Tom Morello's pretty good but he's been playing for a while too.

tbsff_7
11-15-2006, 10:02 PM
john frusciante
and mike mccready

veepirate
01-10-2007, 09:46 AM
herman li and synister gates and the dudes from trivium.... tough choices im picking syn since he has an exotix or evil or exotic evil tone if that even is a technical term

oh and like the dude above said slash is lasts forever

Zacky~Vengeance
01-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I know they might be longshots but i love the solos made by Dan JAcobs and Travis Miguel from Atreyu..Might not be the most techniqal but they still kick @$$.. Other then that i say Matt and Corey from Trivium and Syn and Zacky from Avenged

CowboyUp
01-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Dan from Disturbed ain't the best, but his solos are quite tasteful and listenable.

Paradigm Shift
01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
John Petrucci, even though he started in the 90's, Dream Theater has put out several great albums post 2000 and a new one is coming out this year... absolutely amazing guitarist

`NeXxuS`
01-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Jeff Loomis has mad chops.

bodomfan666
01-10-2007, 01:08 PM
alexi laiho ( children of bodom )
Mark Tremonti(Alter Bridge)
Jeff Loomis(Nevermore)
Corey Bealieu(Trivium)

Sid Vicouis
02-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - The Mars Volta
Nick Valensi - The Strokes
Dave Baksh - Brown Brigade (Ex-Sum 41)
Ian D'sa - Billy Talent
Daron Malakian - System Of A Down

guitarkid2113
02-17-2007, 08:48 PM
John Frusciante- RHCP
John Mayer- Trio
Mike McCready- Pearl Jam
Stone Gossard- Pearl Jam

$DIME RULES!!!$
02-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Herman Li Sam Totman R the best hands down No one shreds as good

justin_fraser
02-17-2007, 10:52 PM
John Mayer and John Frusciante are my favorites from this era.

Wells902
02-17-2007, 11:46 PM
John Petrucci

/thread

Guitarplaya27
02-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Synyster Gates/Zacky Vengeance-Avenged Sevenfold

a great guitar duo right there

larry jones
02-18-2007, 02:38 AM
Wow, when I first posted this thread, I had terrible music taste...****.

Shows how much new stuff I've learned in the time I was gone.

Doesn't say anything about Goncalo Pereira, Rusty Cooley, Guthrie Govan, or Tony MacAlpine...lolerz