Does the S1 switch on the American Deluxe Strat turn single coils into humbuckers?

PDA

View Full Version : Does the S1 switch on the American Deluxe Strat turn single coils into humbuckers?

Pacarazzi
09-26-2006, 10:40 AM
About 2 months ago I got a new 06' American Deluxe Strat, and I want to know some more about the S1 switch. The guitar's sick by the way. So I usually play with my switch down in position 4, which in the diagram is labeled Middle+(Bridge/Special Capacitor). That, and position 2 which is (Neck+Special Capacitor)+Middle, have a beefier tone than positions 1, 3, and 5 with the s1 down.

So we've got a band goin, and my friend (our drummer) said he saw somewhere in the diagram that positions 2 and 4 make the single coils sound like humbuckers. Is this true?

Also I was wondering, what is the tonal difference when you use the S1 switch and you have a humbucker? like on the American Deluxe HH or HSS Strat with the humbucker ? I really want to know, since a lot of websites say the S1 provides alot of great tones, but really shines on guitars equipped with humbuckers.

If anyone knows about wiring, if I wanted to get a stacked humbucker (or maybe two for the neck AND bridge), would it be able to function with the S1 switch? or would the S1 not work with new pickups?

And lastly, should I get a humbucker or two on my strat? I play harder rock, and really like the beefy tones I get with my S1, and if humbuckers help even more thats what I want.

Dirk Gently
09-26-2006, 10:44 AM
The S1 switch changes the pickup wiring from parallel to series. Nothing else. And the switch should work with any pickup. You should probably do all stacked humbuckers, IMO.

mrbreeze
09-26-2006, 10:46 AM
doesn't that throw them out of phase, thus cancelling hum?

Dirk Gently
09-26-2006, 10:48 AM
doesn't that throw them out of phase, thus cancelling hum?
Phase has nothing to do with hum. It's combining two pickups of opposite polarity producing opposite magnetic fields that cancels hum.

mrbreeze
09-26-2006, 10:53 AM
not being much into electronics, I'm not sure I'd understand this if I did take the time to read it, but this is from the Fender site. Scroll down about mid-page, toward the right hand side, click on the link to the .pdf document.

http://www.fender.com/products/s1/

Pacarazzi
09-26-2006, 10:53 AM
The S1 switch changes the pickup wiring from parallel to series. Nothing else. And the switch should work with any pickup. You should probably do all stacked humbuckers, IMO.

I don't really need 3, plus I'd keep the middle pickup for songs where I still need single coil pickups. Can you ellaborate on that? What's the difference between parallel and series? and how stupid am i for askin that?

Pacarazzi
09-26-2006, 10:56 AM
ALSO, I meant does it produce the sound of a humbucker?

Dirk Gently
09-26-2006, 11:01 AM
A series sound will get you closer to a humbucker, but not quite. If you want a humbucker sound, get a humbucker.

Do you know how an electrical circuit works? Well, series means that in the circuit, one thing comes right after the other, so it goes...

Pickup 1--->Pickup 2---> output

Parallel means that the objects exist in their own circuits, so it goes...

Pickup 1 ---> output <--- Pickup 2

A series configuration gives your tone a little more body. On a normal Strat, the pickups in combination would be parallel. On a humbucker, though, the 2 coils are wired in series. And you're not stupid for asking. Most people on this site have little idea about the physics of how their instruments work.

Pacarazzi
09-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Damn thanks man you know your stuff. Well my birthday's in a few weeks, n I'm already gettin less stuff cuz of the money my parents put in to the strat, so I'll put what I've got left into getting two humbuckers since you've cleared things up. Now I wanna know, what kind of stacked humbuckers (under $100 each) do you suggest? I want a really beefy sound, and I still have my MIM strat it I ever need single coils. I looked briefly online and from what I saw my #1 choice is LW-HS1 hot humbuckers at $83, my second was the Seymour Duncan hot rails at $73. What do you suggest? I think I'm gunna go make a thread on this right now.

Dirk Gently
09-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Well, I use a DiMarzio Chopper in the middle position on my Strat and I'm really happy with it. The volume and distortion keep up with 2 full-size humbuckers. It's like the Hot Rails, but with a little less high end. DiMarzio Fast Tracks are also pretty good.

mrbreeze
09-26-2006, 01:04 PM
speaking of rigs with S-1 switching, check this one out:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Special-Mahogany-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511165

Pacarazzi
09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
So what kinds of stacked humbuckers will work with the S1 and which won't? Anyone know about the wiring that could tell me?

Dirk Gently
09-26-2006, 02:57 PM
The wiring has nothing to do with the pickups themselves. It has to do with how the pickup circuit paths are changed. It will work with any pickup.

Pacarazzi
09-26-2006, 03:48 PM
You sure? cuz I called n asked a guy at american music where i got my strat if i would replace the bridge pickup with a LW-HS1 Hot Livewire pickup and he said since it was passive(?) the S1 switching wouldn't work with that kind of pickup. help?