how long should i practice guitar in a day

PDA

View Full Version : how long should i practice guitar in a day

penis rash
09-30-2006, 04:23 PM
hay i was wondering how long i should practice guitar in a day to get really good. I can't practice all day cause i've got school and stuff but just a reasonable time cause i want to get better than my frined. well does anyone have any suggestions?

richwatkinson
09-30-2006, 04:30 PM
As long as you possibly can. Im talking, every possible spare moment.

Also, change your UG Username....

RJMan
09-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Read the article in bottom corner about practicing its really good. Its not time, its efficiency. And to really get good at guitar, you have to love playing it, which means you should be playing it whenever you can because its fun

Johnljones7443
09-30-2006, 04:38 PM
hay i was wondering how long i should practice guitar in a day to get really good.

The speed in which you progress will be determined by the quality of your practice, not quantity.

just a reasonable time cause i want to get better than my frined.

You really do have a disadvantage if you're using your ego as means to practice - no matter how long you practice, with that kind of attitude.. you'll never get where you want.

penis rash
09-30-2006, 05:12 PM
no i enjoy practicing but i find it better to have someone i can try and become better than thats all its not boosting(can't spell today) rights or anything. oh and when u say quality practice what exactly do u mean?

axe_grinder247
09-30-2006, 05:54 PM
The speed in which you progress will be determined by the quality of your practice, not quantity.

You really do have a disadvantage if you're using your ego as means to practice - no matter how long you practice, with that kind of attitude.. you'll never get where you want.

i agree, if your sole reason for practicing is to become better than your friend, than you shouldn't even do it

^the old avatar is back!

jman32892006
09-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Also, there is no "better" and "worse" in guitar, at least when starting off. Everybody develops their own natural styles, and that would be like comparing apples to oranges. So if your trying to get "better" than your friend, you might as well give up now.

penis rash
09-30-2006, 06:09 PM
but i play guitar cause i enjoy it i didn't start guitar to become better then my friend its just over time i wanted to catch up with him if thats a bad thing well im guilty

fronkpies
09-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Well penis rash.. :haha

Apart from what johnjones said about the wrong attitude (IMO the worst reason to pick up an instrument is to get better than somebody else) Remember that there is right and wrong practice. 8 hours of wrong practice will get you no were, 30 mins 3 times a day (for example, if you dont have loads of spare time) of the right kind of practice will help you progress faster.

Johnljones7443
09-30-2006, 07:22 PM
no i enjoy practicing but i find it better to have someone i can try and become better than thats all its not boosting(can't spell today) rights or anything.

I know where you're coming from, and most people here will know what you're talking about, as do I - and I used to have the same attitude..'Gotta practice so I can be better than this guy!'. What you're doing is letting your ego get the better of you, you're letting the desire to sound good cloud over the reason music wants to be played.

At some point, you're going to realise that playing music with your ego is going to hinder your progress - it makes you scared of playing music. No joke, you have that desire to be better than your friend, you fear not being as good as him - and that's not going to motivate you through 'rough patches' or help you 'reach for your goals', it's going to hinder your progress.

Music takes time, penis rash. It takes time. It takes patience. It will take aslong as it wants to take - when you hinder that with your ego and superficial desires to 'sound better' than someone, it takes more time.

Using something like.. 'I want to become better than Dave from down the road' as motivation for playing music is one of the worst things you can ever do for your progress as a guitarist and a musician.

but i play guitar cause i enjoy it i didn't start guitar to become better then my friend its just over time i wanted to catch up with him if thats a bad thing well im guilty

It's not a bad thing to want to be better than him - that's your ego playing tricks on you. You can't help it, it isn't a bad thought, or something to be ashamed of - it just is not going to help you.

It's paradoxial - the more you want to sound better than Dave from down the road, the more you're going to sound worse than Dave from down the road.

oh and when u say quality practice what exactly do u mean?

I mean good practice. Perfect practice. Effortless practice.

Whatever you want to call it.. practice in which you're progressing and improving, instead of playing because you feel that if you don't, you're a failure, you're lazy and you're never going to sound good.

If you pick up your instrument and practice perfectly, effortlessy and with patience, concentration and awareness for just 5 minutes every day - you will progress and you will improve. Steadily.

If you pick up your instrument and practice half-heartedly, with fear, ego and thought - for 2 hours a day.. you're not going to improve any faster, probably slower.. than those 5 minutes.

When you feel you're not gaining anything from the practice anymore, whether it's after 5, 10, 120 minutes.. don't be scared to put the guitar down and re-focus and practicing correctly, instead of feeling you have to practice through some kind of barrier to prove yourself as a guitarist.. you don't.

Remember that there is right and wrong practice. 8 hours of wrong practice will get you no were, 30 mins 3 times a day (for example, if you dont have loads of spare time) of the right kind of practice will help you progress faster.

Exactly. ;)

larry jones
09-30-2006, 08:12 PM
As long as you possibly can. Im talking, every possible spare moment.

Also, change your UG Username....
i dont agree

some people have lost movement in thier hands (johhny greenwood- radiohead) and had to go through surgery for playing like 10-12 hours a day

moderation is good, but (dont quote me on this) u should practice bout 5 hours or so a day if u really like the guitar

bluesrocker101
09-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Penis rash :haha

Anyways... Its all done in quallity, not quantity... I think someone said that earlier. Check the lessons or columns.

El CumanÚs
09-30-2006, 10:04 PM
My advice would be practice one hour of whatever you want, then drop the guitar for a while, then continue if you can.

penis rash
10-01-2006, 07:05 AM
thanks guys :D for the help i will try not to let my ego get in the way of me playing guitar.

Caressing Death
10-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Well I know Petrucci used to practice 63 hours a day.
Practice as much as you can.

feltgrape
10-01-2006, 12:40 PM

Sigged hahahaha

penis rash
10-01-2006, 03:10 PM

63 hours a day there only 24 hours in a day hmmm i guessing this is a joke

Ktulu Master
10-01-2006, 06:17 PM

He also uses special chemicals.

Daisuke
10-01-2006, 06:52 PM
63 hours a day there only 24 hours in a day hmmm i guessing this is a joke

:haha .. Well guessed!

Anyway, good luck practicing.

Mr.Music-Theory
09-25-2008, 10:28 AM
In order to develop new skills and get good at anything, you must do it a lot. If you want to progress as a guitar player, then you need to get your instrument in your hands every day. You don't need to practice for hours on end, but you ought to get in at least 30 minutes each day. It doesn't have to be all at once. Your practice time can be broken up into smaller sessions with 10-15 minutes here, 10-15 minutes there.

It's inevitable that you'll miss a day now and then. But if you plan on playing guitar every day, then you're sure to cover most of them.

If you should ever have extra time, then certainly you can practice for longer periods. Just be sure to get some playing in even on busy days. Grabbing your guitar before you go to bed and reviewing things for 5 minutes will at least help you to retain what you've learned and keep your finger calluses from getting soft.

Another key to successful guitar playing and productive practicing is getting involved with some type of guitar activity or commitment. For example, schedule jam sessions with other musicians, start a band, book a gig, study with an instructor, take a guitar theory (http://guitar-music-theory.com) class, play at church, or any other opportunity you can participate in. These ideas will not only increase the time you spend with your guitar in hand, but you'll also enjoy the social interaction and fellowship.

Play Until Yer Fingers Bleed!
Mr. Desi Serna (Google me!)
http://www.Guitar-Music-Theory.com
Pentatonic/CAGED/Progressions/Modes

:-D
09-25-2008, 11:40 AM
^Jesus, you can't be serious. This thread is two years old.

*reported*

J.A.M
09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Holy f*ck we need a rule against necroposting.

LoveIsHell
09-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Practice as much as you can but not too much to the point where you feel like youre gonna cause injury. Efficiency is the key though, pissing about with cover songs isnt really the answer as i used to do as a novice, but doing excersices that i.e pertrucci and gilbert etc reccomend pays dividends for developing your techniqiue and skill.

Faded Grey
05-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Thread Ressurection, go!

Your practice is about quality and not quantity. 30 minutes to an hour each day will yeild solid results. When some people over practice, by going longer than they should have, their focus dwindles down, and this can lead to anti-practice. I see anti-practice as practice that's essentially just wasted time, and can lead to bad habit formation.

J.A.M
05-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Gonna quote this handsome gentleman right
here;
Holy f*ck we need a rule against necroposting.

AeolianWolf
05-22-2010, 09:27 PM
^Jesus, you can't be serious. This thread is two years old.

again.

jesse music
05-22-2010, 11:38 PM
4 years old... *facepalm*

fivedrunkduck
05-23-2010, 01:21 AM
I usually played 'seriously' about 2-3 hours a day, depended on the mood. Now, I don't practice that much anymore.

Tempoe
05-23-2010, 01:32 AM
I played about 7-8 hrs today in about 5 sessions. Usually 3-4 but I have lots of free time.

brickhouse420
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Give me 100CCs Bzzzt*
Boom Boom .... Booom, Boom
It's Alive!

I agree that practice is important but the proper way is key.
If you practice with out focus or a drive then 5 hours a day may not be all that productive. But imagine a 5 hour routine where you take 4 10 minute breaks to regain focus. If there is no distraction and you are concentrating as hard as you can. If you loose focus for more then 5 minutes solid, you take a 5 minute break and go back at it.

I am new to guitarist but that is my input. Id also avoid smoke breaks, (Any kind of smoke), it's always good to get a lot of oxygen to feed your brain so you can find it easier to focus.

What I want to know is, does any one have a good FREE online guitar routine that can help beginners? Like a solid routine one can follow for doing 5 hours a day, with extreme focus.

King Of Suede
02-10-2012, 11:12 AM
A half hour a day is a good start. An hour a day is excellent. More than that for anextended period of time is even better

brickhouse420
02-10-2012, 11:15 AM
I wanna do 40 hrs a week but i also h r a full time job so most of my practice will be on the weekend

I heard there is a 10000 rule

Pettah
02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
haha I hope this thread gets resurrected in 2014 :D

AlanHB
02-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm gonna kill it.