Comp Ideas Thread - Oct/Dec

PDA

View Full Version : Comp Ideas Thread - Oct/Dec

#1 synth
09-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Well, September is over so its time for a new one of these I assume! Yay! so as to not deviate from Steve's threads I will introduce what this is all about. This thread is the place where dreams are born, packaged and shipped off to sweatshops. This is the place where all of your wildes imagination becomes manifest. This is the place where the word jezebel may be used and accepted as a formal greeting. This is the Competition ideas thread.

The purpose of this is for you, the forumers, to spew out outlandish ideas for competitions and have the rest of the forumites say yay or nay to the ideas (they may also bray like a horse, as those words rhyme). If said forumnizers do like your idea and you have a fair amount of support for the competition then go ahead and make a 'sign-up thread'!

A sign up thread is one in which you designate two things:

1. what the heck the specified competition is about
and
2. what the rules for the competition are.
(actually, theres a third one)
3. sign-up slots so you can edit in the participents so have so far.

And remember people, things sometimes get hectic in here so always use protection, you dont want to end up getting Nelson pregnant {...again}

Further to the suggestion that we should have a seasonal Comp here are other "Holidays" we could have as comps....

Martin Luther King Day - Jan 15th
Burns Night - Jan 25th
Valentines Day - Feb 14th
Chinese New Year - Feb 18th
Presidents Day - Feb 19th
Mardi Gras - Feb 20th
April Fools - Apr 1st
First Day of Spring - May 1st
Memorial Day - May 28th
Longest Day (Summer) - Jun 21st
Labor Day - Sep 3rd
First Day of Autumn/Fall - Sep 23rd
Columbus Day - Oct 8th/12th
Guy Fawkes Day - Nov 5th
Veterans/Armistice Day - Nov 11th
Solstice - Dec 21st
Xmas Day - Dec 25th
New Years - Dec 31st Jan 1st

Jammydude44
09-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Jezebel!

Anything on your alphabet comp, btw?

I'd like to see some sort of comp up, so I'm willing to go and make one, I have some ideas of what I want:

Limerick comp
Nonsense comp
Four lines comp

First two I would just love to see attempted, and they are accesible to most writers. The four line comp would be to see who could write the finest four-line verse; show your talent in the smallest amount of lines.

What d'ya think, everybody? I'm dying to see some more competitons in here.

And can I enter a comp I set up? It wouldn't be biased or anything, I don't think, I mean, it's a public poll.

Jamie

Retribution
09-30-2006, 09:14 PM
I'd love a one-liner comp.

It'd be fun.

And you'd have to get creative... ;)

I also would love to do away with public voting and go to judges, but that will never happen.

P.S. I'm not going to be around here too much.

Jammydude44
10-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Right, I'm going to start a sign-up thread for a four line comp- four lines because that's the minimum lenght of a piece you can post in S&L.

I'm doing this cos no comps have happened for a while and nothing is getting started.

If it's against any rules to vreate a sign-up thread (which I dont htink they are) I'll close it / it can be locked.

Jamie

Dæmönika
10-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Can we have something like an Autumn-themed contest? I just think we should have four of these competitions a year for each season, as descriptions and word-choice would be different each season, and the gaps are big enough so we can compare past with present.

Jammydude44
10-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Sounds good Mike. You willing to set one up though?

I'm all for another competition, I want to see this contests forum alive and, well, competitive.

Jamie

Dæmönika
10-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Sounds good Mike. You willing to set one up though?

I'm all for another competition, I want to see this contests forum alive and, well, competitive.

Jamie

I'll attempt to write up some rules and such, then PM them to you just in case I've done something wrong or missed something out; I've not done this before, y'see? So would this be a Super Comp?

Jammydude44
10-29-2006, 02:54 PM
I'll attempt to write up some rules and such, then PM them to you just in case I've done something wrong or missed something out; I've not done this before, y'see? So would this be a Super Comp?

Ha, I would't know what comp it owuld be, I took a gamble for the four liner one.

I'm sure you wouldn't need to Pm me, I think the rules are pretty self explanatory- I mean, YOU make the rules :D

Jamie

stratkat
11-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Ive been thinking about setting up "Emo Lyrics comp. 2006" Im pretty sure I set up the the first one about a month after I joined, I'll probably set it up at the biginning of december.
Last year I think I had 18 people in it.

Jammydude44
11-04-2006, 05:34 AM
I don't think it's been too long since the last one, it happened somewhen after I joined. I don't think we need another so soon.

Mike, any news on an Autumn comp? Or we gonna wait for a winter one :D

Jamie

Dæmönika
11-04-2006, 09:48 AM
I don't think it's been too long since the last one, it happened somewhen after I joined. I don't think we need another so soon.

Mike, any news on an Autumn comp? Or we gonna wait for a winter one :D

Jamie

Hang on, there's been a lot of stuff hindering me (death of my guinea pig, etc.) so hopefully I can get this thing going this coming week.

EDIT: Although, if I start this going next week, by the time it's finished we'll probably be very close, if not in Winter, so I might just start a winter one now.

SilenceEvolves
11-04-2006, 07:41 PM
december and october are not chronometrical, lol.

i think we should do one on transportation.

oooh even better idea. alright catch it, a generations of ug competition. first gen = bluepiantcult, abetterbassist, lessthanthat, etc. second gen = xarcadiax, me, something vague, vicious sid, thehurtwithin, etc. third gen = anyone else.

The Hurt Within
11-05-2006, 01:09 AM
^ we always try this idea, and it always fails.

I'm game

I'm not sure about this idea but I thought about doing a Laika comp, for those that dont know WHO it is heres a brief overview.

Laika was launched on the Russian satellite Sputnik II, in 1957, aboard was a Russian breed dog named Laika. Laika was the first living organism to be flung into space. Unfortunatly for the dog it didn't survive the journey, many reasons are attributed to its death, it is now widely believed that it died an hour into the flight from panic, the Russians say it died 5 days into the journey through malnourishment, some believe it died when the satellite returned to Earth over barbados 5 months later as a burning ball. Anyway thought it could make for some interesting pieces, no?

BTW all the ideas are cool, get em up asap.

Dæmönika
11-05-2006, 03:19 PM
december and october are not chronometrical, lol.

It's a shame it's November now.

I'll get this thing done tomorrow morning.

stratkat
11-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Okay I have an idea.
I dont know if this has been tried before, but maybe we could have a comp where the person who sets up the comp picks a band, for example lets say Fall Out Boy, and all pieces entered in that comp would have to follow the structure and rhyme scheme of a fall out boy song of there choice or the thread starters choice. But people could set up hundreds of comps like that, with a million different songs and bands.

Dæmönika
11-09-2006, 02:01 PM
The problem I see with that is that there will be many people left out in each competition, and also that bands may change the way they write their songs over periods of time, so you'll end up just having an eclectic mix. May I also add that the songs you hear on the radio are very simply written compared to the vast majority of writings you see here. There could well be cases of people not bothering to enter because they would see themselves as having to dumb down to accommodate the band they will be asked to emulate. Although I don't think this has been done before, I just think there may be too many holes to fill.

Jammydude44
11-09-2006, 02:07 PM
^ Seconded

Jamie

stratkat
11-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Well how about this, a comp where you have to follow the structure and rhyme scheme of a single song (basicaly the same thing I said before). You'd be able to write about whatever you want, it'd just have to be the same structure as the song the thread starter chose. Also the subject you use for your entry couldn't be related to the subject in the original song, for example if the threadstarter chose "When September Ends", your entry couldn't be about war. Since the structure and rhyme schemes are already set, I think it might make a few good noob comps.

Dæmönika
11-10-2006, 12:21 PM
For noob comps, yes. I suppose you could use your former idea as well for those comps.

punchupatatigge
11-10-2006, 01:20 PM
I was thinking along the lines of a romantic poetry/prose competition. We'll split the two, if we have enough applicants. Unrequited love, love, attraction, human nature related to these, lack of love, whatever you really want. As long as its related somewhat to love.

I'm mostly interested because I never really wrote anything about the topic until yesterday =]. Also, I've seen quite a few authors on this site that write alot about it. Should be interesting =].

yawn
11-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't venture into the Songwriting and Lyrics Forum very often, but how about this:

Each of us writes a song based on a certain famous piece of artwork. We could take our favorite painting or sculpture as inspiration, and either write a set of lyrics that narrates what's happening, or write a set of lyrics that respond to what's happening.

I, for example, might want to use any of the following:

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/goya/goya.shootings-3-5-1808.jpg
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~colbert/saturn.jpg
http://www.angelo.edu/faculty/rprestia/1301/images/IN415aBern.jpg
http://www.uni-leipzig.de/ru/bilder/passion3/rubens01.jpg
http://galerieverdun.com/abstract_art.jpg
http://blog.chosun.com/web_file/blog/139/49639/Michelangelo-Sistine_Chapel-Creation_Of_Adam-1024X768-onBLK.jpg
http://www.wga.hu/art/b/botticel/5allegor/10primav.jpg

Yes, no?

Dæmönika
11-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Stuff about artworks and whatnot.

Good idea. I really like the sound of that.

Teghvir: That would make a great Valentine's comp for February.

yawn
11-10-2006, 06:03 PM
^ Man if I just said that, I coulda saved a lot of time :o

The Hurt Within
11-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Well Yawn you have the go ahead if you ever read this.

yawn
11-22-2006, 09:11 PM
^ To make a lyrics competition thread?

The Hurt Within
11-22-2006, 09:16 PM
^eh? Whats that all about? I'm interested btw.

I meant the Artwork Comp though.

yawn
11-22-2006, 09:21 PM
^ You mean the competition where you write lyrics inspired by a certain piece of artwork?

The Hurt Within
11-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah thats the one, its a great idea. If you need to know how its done, just see one of the two new comps i've got up. You just need the sign-up thread then set a due date, then post the polls.

punchupatatigge
11-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Would anyone be for an observational free-form comp? I'm terrible with observational poetry, as I don't observe hehe, but I think it would be a good way to practice =]

Jammydude44
11-23-2006, 12:58 PM
I think it's one for the future, I think we should get these comps underway first, save cluttering up the forum with all sorts of comps.

Jamie

punchupatatigge
11-23-2006, 12:59 PM
I didn't mean now, as at the moment I think I'm signed up for at least 5 comps, heheh.

yawn
11-23-2006, 12:59 PM
^ Agreed.