PM - Suggestion

PDA

View Full Version : PM - Suggestion

Pan-Tallica
10-02-2006, 08:10 AM
If you're offline, and someone sends you a PM, you get a pop-up notification next time you sign in, telling you who sent the PM, the subject, etc... That's great to have. I really like that feature. However, the one thing I've never understood about it is this:

The first pop-up you get tells you who the message is from. The second one asks, "Would you like to open this message in the current window?" (or something along those lines). Your options are OK and Cancel. Cancel opens a new window and automatically takes you to your inbox. Pressing OK, however, does nothing.

Wouldn't it make sense to have three options?

OK = Takes you to your inbox automatically (in the current window)
NO = Takes you to your inbox automatically, but in a new window (like what cancel does now)
CANCEL = I'll do it later

I understand that the system is fine as it is, and how miniscule this "problem" is, but I just figure it's a little thing that could make a few people happy. I figure I'll get a couple "You're too lazy to click the inboz button?" replies, so I'll say it now: I'm not lazy, it just doesn't make sense to me that clicking OK does nothing...

FrenchyFungus
10-02-2006, 08:19 AM
I don't get these pop ups.

:cry:

Pan-Tallica
10-02-2006, 08:23 AM
I don't get these pop ups.

:cry:Oh. I thought they were automatically turned on. Well, there's an option to turn them on under "Options" in the User CP.

EDIT - http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/8475/pmng7.png

Logz
10-02-2006, 08:23 AM
pan...
The popup box is a feature of javascript. We cant control what the buttons say ;)

FrenchyFungus
10-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Oh. I thought they were automatically turned on. Well, there's an option to turn them on under "Options" in the User CP.

:cool:

Pan-Tallica
10-02-2006, 08:27 AM
pan...
The popup box is a feature of javascript. We cant control what the buttons say ;)Heh, go ahead and laugh at the guy who knows nothing about computers. I've earned it. :sad:

:cool:Pfft, and I thought I had the chance to teach you something about the site.

:sad:

Logz
10-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Heh, go ahead and laugh at the guy who knows nothing about computers. I've earned it. :sad:

*takes you under my wing*

:p:

FrenchyFungus
10-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Pfft, and I thought I had the chance to teach you something about the site.

:sad:

You did :p:

Pan-Tallica
10-02-2006, 08:34 AM
You did :p:I thought the :cool: smilie meant, "I'm too damn cool to get pop-up notification every time I get a PM."

At least this thread wasn't a total waste of time, then. :p:

paintITblack39
10-02-2006, 09:13 AM
pan...
The popup box is a feature of javascript. We cant control what the buttons say ;)
Can't Medick or zappp change that though. They do have full access.

FrenchyFungus
10-02-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't think they can actually, I remember someone suggesting changing "Cancel" to "No" in the message that asks if you want a PM receipt, and they said they couldn't change that.

Logz
10-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Can't Medick or zappp change that though. They do have full access.

Nah, javascript maybe a scripting language, but it has "set" options. You can make te box appear with whatever message you want in it, but theres no way you can change what the buttons say.The only editable thing in the box is the "would you like to view your private message" or whatever message

Its hard to explain.

DorkusMalorkus
10-02-2006, 09:17 AM
The Okay button doesn't work because of popup blockers I thought...

kirbyrocknroll
10-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Well I have pop-up blocker so I just press cancel to open it in a new window anyway.

Dang pop-up blocker!

BumOffBarney
10-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Pannie, Pannie, Pannie .. THE METS?! PFFT!

I never get them either but thats okay cause the only people who pm me are angry at me :(

IndieMetalhead
10-02-2006, 03:19 PM
I don't think they can actually, I remember someone suggesting changing "Cancel" to "No" in the message that asks if you want a PM receipt, and they said they couldn't change that.

*raises hand*

leaping badger
10-02-2006, 04:53 PM
if i click to open in new window it never works, is it a pop-up blocker? i get the pop-up telling me abut new mail.

Machanix
10-02-2006, 11:15 PM
I don't think this would be able to happen, as one of the mods a few posts above me said, the po-up boxes are in Java-Script. For those who have Java off, they wouldn't know about it, and for those who have it on, they would bitch about. Plus, there's a possibilty that the site would lag like a muhfuka.

Good suggestion, though.

:cheers:

rockon1824
10-03-2006, 03:34 PM
^Dude, the pop-up message is already there, he just wants to change its contents.

IndieMetalhead
10-03-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't think this would be able to happen, as one of the mods a few posts above me said, the po-up boxes are in Java-Script. For those who have Java off, they wouldn't know about it, and for those who have it on, they would bitch about. Plus, there's a possibilty that the site would lag like a muhfuka.

Good suggestion, though.

:cheers:

Javascript does not require the runtime environment to load unlike Java itself. javascript control is 9 times out of 10 built into the browsers, so it has to be fairly generic in order to work on all the platforms

and its not a suggestion, it's already there.

divid3d
10-03-2006, 05:50 PM
erm. when i press OK it opens the pm in the current window, when i press Cancel it opens it in a new window, as it should.

unluCKY...

IndieMetalhead
10-03-2006, 05:52 PM
erm. when i press OK it opens the pm in the current window, when i press Cancel it opens it in a new window, as it should.

unluCKY...

You intarnets is 1337orzz

no, seriously, you're probably the only person it works for ;)

divid3d
10-03-2006, 09:01 PM
hmm well it did. i just got a pm now though and it didn't work and i got the stupid popup blocker message. what changed to make it stop working when it always used to?

unluCKY...

IndieMetalhead
10-04-2006, 04:30 AM
hmm well it did. i just got a pm now though and it didn't work and i got the stupid popup blocker message. what changed to make it stop working when it always used to?

unluCKY...

either you allowed popups from the site and its decided to f*ck itself up, or you magically held Ctrl every time you clicked ok ;)

paintITblack39
10-04-2006, 06:52 AM
Nah, javascript maybe a scripting language, but it has "set" options. You can make te box appear with whatever message you want in it, but theres no way you can change what the buttons say.The only editable thing in the box is the "would you like to view your private message" or whatever message

Its hard to explain.
Can't they change the functions of those buttons though?

Logz
10-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Can't they change the functions of those buttons though?
They could probably change the functions, but not the text. They couldnt change "cancel" to "no"

paintITblack39
10-08-2006, 02:17 AM
They could probably change the functions, but not the text. They couldnt change "cancel" to "no"
That's what I basically said.

Now we need to make sure that medick or zappp take care of this

*waits*