about tabs and chords

PDA

View Full Version : about tabs and chords

rosannapaclibar
10-05-2006, 09:08 PM
:) hello.... i am beginner @ playing guitar... so i cannot read some tabs,,, anyone here could teach me how to read d tabs???..

i'LL wait for you kind response...\../

munit
10-05-2006, 09:17 PM
well its not really that hard, i prolly am not the best guy to explain it, but here goes nothing.
for instance when you see
e|--------------------------
B|--------------------------
G|--5----------------------
D|--------------------------
A|---------------------------
E|---------------------------
that means to play the 5th fret on the G string.
G|-------------------------
D|--------------------------
E|---5----------------------
Means to play the 5th fret on the Low E string.
G|-------------------------
D|---5----------------------
E|---5----------------------
means to play both frets at the same time and so on and so on....
if you need it explained more feel free to pm me.

treefiddey
10-05-2006, 09:18 PM
the string slosest to the floor shows up as the top string in tab so...

e--------------1---------
B-----------1------------
G--------1---------------
D------1-----------------
A----1-------------------
E--1---------------------

in this case you would start with the thickest string (the E string) and play the first fret. then move on the the A string and play the first fret on that string, then move on to the D string, play the first fret on that string and so on.

Amano
10-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Hello,

as there are are a few threads dealing with tab reading I just picked this one as it seems to be the latest,

i have two questions concerning tab reading; hope someone can help me out

1: what exactly does it mean when there is "x" on the tab ... i normally just ignore these notes and they seem not to be important to songs in anyway but i really would like to know now what they actually mean. somewhere i read it means muted string? but where is the difference between muting a string and not playing it? and how can i mute a string :) ..

2: there are few songs that have something like this "0/2" .. my question here, how am I supposed to slide from 0 to 2 ? or actually the question is where is 0 ?? i couldnt quite figure that out ... at the beginning i thought perhaps to start sliding from 1 but that doesnt sound right .. so could someone explain this to me too please.

thats pretty much it, hope someone can help me out,

thanks very much

regards

amano

Mark-O1987666
10-13-2006, 04:40 PM
In response to your first question, the 'x' does mean mute the string, but not as in, dont play it. What you do it, gently rest your fret hand on the string and strum that string I.E

e-------------------------
B-------------------------
G------------------------
D---x-x-x-x-x-x-x------
A---x-x-x-x-x-x-x------
E---x-x-x-x-x-x-x------

Just 'mute' those strings, by resting your fret hand on them, and strum the 'chord'. IT should give a horrible scratching type sound :-]

As for your second question, when on the tab it says 0/any fret, it usually means slide from no-where. Which sounds stupid, just pick a random fret thats lower than the one you're sliding up to and quickly slide up to it..

Hope this helps you

Mark-O

Spark1284
10-13-2006, 06:27 PM
0 just means leave the string open and play it without hitting any frets, and to go from 0 to 2 u really cant do, but if u do it quickly enuff going from 1 into 2 should be fine, but if not u can start your finger behind the nut and slide over it and the 1 into the 2, which can be tricky. and the x's like the guy said are string muted, but its different from pam muting which is resting ur right hand on the bridge and playing the note, string muting doesnt have any real note value and its sole purpose is pretty much just to make noise. if u listen to a song like train of consequences by megadeth, half the song is muted, and a song liek creep by radiohead, that sick sound that goes CHUG CHUG right before the choruse is string muting

Amano
10-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey,

first of all thx for the quick reply, was very useful. I understand the theory, i am just struggling to put the bit about the "slide from nowhere" into practise, i mean i just cant make it sound it right. take for example "sweet home alabama" ... right at the beginning when it says slide from 0/2 , 2/0 and 0/2 again .. i tried to do it as suggested to slide from the fret below up but it sounds no where near right. Perhaps i just need practise but i thought i would post anyway in case someone has got another good advice ...

thanks a lot guys

amano

Spark1284
10-16-2006, 02:10 AM
well good news, your playing it wrong, thats actually hammer ons and pull offs, whatever gave u the idea its a slide idk, but try 0h2 2p0 0h2 and i think ull be alot more relieved

Amano
10-16-2006, 07:47 PM
haha yeah now it makes more sense, thx for pointing this out, i was playing the chord that comes up when u click "top 100" chords, seems to be wrong, thx again,

regards

amano

10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
I just started playing guitar a few months ago and I really want to know how to play these high, screaming notes like itīs done at Panteraīs "Becoming" or Machine Headīs "Davidian". It would be nice if anybody could tell me. Thanks in advance.