[GP5] The March Through the Marsh (Progressive Rock?)

PDA

View Full Version : [GP5] The March Through the Marsh (Progressive Rock?)

SGxMastodonxSG
10-10-2006, 07:45 PM
K, well this song isn't really finished yet, but I want your guys' critique on what I have so far. I had The Mars Volta in mind when I made this, and it really does show. But, anyway, let me know what you think.

Edit: Added a Midi version.

Edit 2: Fixed Volumes on Midi Version

RedDeath9
10-10-2006, 09:44 PM
That was awesome. Loved the intro. I liked how you managed not to stay in 4/4 the whole time. The only thing I would change is the solo, doesn't really fit the song. Actually I don't think a solo would fit this song at all. 9/10.

Crit mine? :cheers:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445715

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436146

Fatt Sorum
10-10-2006, 09:54 PM
indeed, it is quite different

i also loved the intro - the drums were well set out, not only througn the start, but through the whole song

nexteyenate
10-10-2006, 10:07 PM
the song was quite hectic in the beginning (but very impressive and awesome) when things slowed down it was even better. awesome song 8/10
Crit mine?? its in my sig

bradbradbrad
10-12-2006, 03:57 AM
Awesome. Definetly Mars Volta-ish, with the sudden changes in dynamics and so forth. And the Mars Volta are my favourite band, so hurrah.

The drums are great throughout.

The chord that plays before the softer parts sounds like the chord that plays when you get killed in Goldeneye for the N64. Awesome.

I actually really liked the solo, once again, alot like something Omar would play.

I like how it's constantly varied and exciting all the way through.

Overall, awesome song. 9/10.

ouchies
10-30-2006, 10:07 PM
That was amazing, everything was really perfect for me.

It was chaotic in the beggining, but you really made it work. And even though it slowed down it kept my attention all the way through. Really good job.

Nunwhxre 666
11-02-2006, 07:34 AM
I'd write a long paragraph giving a detailed explanation of the ups-and-downs of this peice, but I'm in class right now. So I'll stay simple. It was really good. Crit one of mine? Links in sig.

Sarcasmo
11-02-2006, 05:16 PM
While it was pretty creative, i think it was a little too chaotic for my taste. I thought parts like "phase 5" detract from the flow however. It just seems like it needs more. Anyway, overall i thought it was good and was very "mars volta-ish"

mine
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459518

siddyjain
11-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Is the title related to Lord of the Rings in any way?

SGxMastodonxSG
11-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Is the title related to Lord of the Rings in any way?

No. It's completely random, as are all my titles.

Captian Xero
04-11-2007, 04:20 AM
Awesome. Definetly Mars Volta-ish, with the sudden changes in dynamics and so forth. And the Mars Volta are my favourite band, so hurrah.

The drums are great throughout.

The chord that plays before the softer parts sounds like the chord that plays when you get killed in Goldeneye for the N64. Awesome.

I actually really liked the solo, once again, alot like something Omar would play.

I like how it's constantly varied and exciting all the way through.

Overall, awesome song. 9/10.

you know... I couldn't think of a better way to word a crit for this song.

sebastian_96
04-11-2007, 04:51 AM
It was really good, thinking outside of the box is always good :D
I like the changes of pace and time signiture
I usually hate rock organ's but this is choice :liplick:
Crit mine?

phungar
04-11-2007, 06:27 AM
good song rock organ sounded kidna gay ... but 9/10 you should record it on youtube and put up link wanna see u play it

gutsman
04-11-2007, 07:47 AM
fantastic. a little repetitious, and the ending felt cut-off but still excellent

8.5/10

Pieceofmind019
04-11-2007, 07:27 PM
that was pretty amazing all the way through the only thing i didnt really like was the rock organ everything else was very well writen and flowed with each other its obvious you put alot of thought into the song.

I espesially liked the intro because as someone said before it was chaotic and had the lead solo lines that went perfect with the feel of the song i would add more of those to give the song more color in areas also i turned the volume of the first two guitars up so you could here em i think it sounded better i dont know if you intensionall wanted them very distant or if it was just a mistake but it sounds better turned up. and that last breakdown was amazing

Overall this is a pretty amazing piece that kept me interested the whole time and as i said before the onlything i didnt like was the rock organ Good work though9/10

Crit mine if you get a chance (there below in my signature)

SGxMastodonxSG
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
gutsman: It feels cut-off because I never finished this. Maybe I should get back to it. :P
pieceofmind: I think the sound on my GP5 is kinda weird, cause I always have to turn the guitars down, and the drums up to make it sound right.
phungar: I wish I could play it. I made this entirely on GP5, with a little help from my guitar. I've only been playing for about 3 years, 2 when I made this, and there's obvious parts that a 3 year player couldn't play.

everyone: thank you so much for the praise and criticism. I'll try to crit everyone who asked for a crit. Again, thank you.

ch715dallat
04-11-2007, 08:38 PM
i found the verse and breakdown very Petrucci-like ;) nice

zakatak9389
04-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Wow man, this is like nothing I've heard before. That's a good thing though. The only thing that I would say you might want to change is the solo a little. Other then that, I like the organ, it usually sounds pretty lame in GP, but you made it work nicely. Another thing is that some of the phases seemed to last for too long, where there was nothing going on for like 10 bars like in phase 5. Overall though, it is a unique song, and sounds very cool. 8.7/10

I know you already checked out Firestorm(thanks on that man ;)), but if you get a chance maybe crit my other songs :) .

gonzaw
04-15-2007, 06:39 PM
The intro was very nice, but the rock organ was like overpowered, it blocked all the other tracks...
The guitar part in the verse was awesome...
The chorus was depresing, but it was very good
The guitar part in the breakdown was also very good, maybe you should let the last note ring one more bar, or something.
The solo was good, but a little bit strange, don't know why.
You should do some adjustments with the rock organ, cause you can't even hear the solo or the verse.

Very good song 9/10

Crit mine? (in sig)

SGxMastodonxSG
04-15-2007, 06:44 PM
The intro was very nice, but the rock organ was like overpowered, it blocked all the other tracks...
The guitar part in the verse was awesome...
The chorus was depresing, but it was very good
The guitar part in the breakdown was also very good, maybe you should let the last note ring one more bar, or something.
The solo was good, but a little bit strange, don't know why.
You should do some adjustments with the rock organ, cause you can't even hear the solo or the verse.

Very good song 9/10

Crit mine? (in sig)

There has to be something wrong with my guitarpro's sound, cuz I can hear everything, and with the organ at 16 it's still hard to hear.
Whatever :P

pete07
04-15-2007, 06:47 PM
The title of this song reminds me a lot of Mastodon for some reason. It's a very unique and original piece, i like the chaotic feel it has in places, although the organ was a little too loud and drowned out the guitar, the guitar definatly needs to be louder on the solo. I like the way you use some unconventional structures to your riffs and have instruments other then the guitar driving the song forward, so big props for that. The one thing i would say is in phase 5 i thought it sounded a bit too drawn out, maybe cut it down a little.

8/10, a few minor adjustments and it'll easy get 9 or 10

crit mine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567350

yogurt_overdose
04-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. I really like this song, as I'm quite a fan of The Mars Volta. The only minor problem I have with it is the solo, and this might sound weird but it seems a bit too...I don't really know how to say this....it keeps in time/key too much for my liking. The thing I like about these kinda songs is that they don't conform to normal phrasings and such, which you have definitely done in the other sections.
I think the solo would have to be more improvised, which I know would be hard to do in GP, but it could really make the piece if you were to record it properly. But as it is now it's still a strong 9.5/10

Thanks for the crit as well, if you get a chance wanna have a look at my other song?

:cheers:

duncang
04-16-2007, 10:41 AM
I didn't like it all that much to be honest, the keyboard sound was far too heavy and the drums were too high in the mix. A lot of it was weird for the sake of being weird (like The Mars Volta, actually...).

When I turned down the keyboard and drums (so I could actually hear the rest), it was still pretty boring. I'm sure with real production sounds and vocals it would be better but it was rather dull.

The solo was totally out of key also.