help with tab legend

PDA

View Full Version : help with tab legend

Demonsiege21
10-10-2006, 08:51 PM
i just started playing guitar and i was wondring if someone could answer my question , i have the red hot chilli peppers song "under the bridge" almost all the way down but some part i cant figure out , theres are letters and such above the tabs and iv been looking for a legend or somehwere that tells me what all these things mean , it woudl be really helpful if you told me .

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Synjazz
10-10-2006, 08:57 PM
almost every tab has it's own legend, look it up on google or something, or look at another tab u'll see em.

You Lie In Ruin
10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
well. tell us what they are and maybe we can help you out.

Pan-Tallica
10-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Are you using a tab from UG? If so, which version? What are the symbols/letters that you don't understand?

I'll do the best I can do without any of that info:

H - Hammer-on
P - Pull-off
PM - Palm muted (I've also seen ".", "P", and "M" used to symbolize this).
Letters such as W, Q, E, H, and S can be used to show timing.

I have a hunch that what you're seeing is chord names, however. Sometiems tabbers put the name of the chord that is to be played above the tab itself.

Anyway, get back to me with more information (copy and paste the section you're having difficulties with if it's from UG) and I'll try to help you a little more.

Demonsiege21
10-10-2006, 09:24 PM
sorry guys had to do dishes , the ones i dont understand are an h and p above 3 notes played fairly quickly on the same string and "c#m A" above a power chord and "c#m" over a power chord slide

kirbyrocknroll
10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
I think you are talking about the chords. The H and P probably mean some legato/hammer ons and pull offs.

MidnightsPunk
10-10-2006, 09:32 PM
I am trying to study to read tab and know as much as I can to be a very well playing musician. If anybody can help me it would be very appreciated.I've got some knowlege on standard notation but tab music I am not familiar with that at all.My question is how do I write, read, and play tab music very well I know that's a lot but I just need the resources to learn.

kirbyrocknroll
10-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I am trying to study to read tab and know as much as I can to be a very well playing musician. If anybody can help me it would be very appreciated.I've got some knowlege on standard notation but tab music I am not familiar with that at all.My question is how do I write, read, and play tab music very well I know that's a lot but I just need the resources to learn.
By not hijacking threads :p:

Anyway, I hope you find this lesson helpful.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=reading+tab&w=lessons

Well, these two lessons...

MidnightsPunk
10-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Thank you for all your help someday I will return the favor. :D

Pan-Tallica
10-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Thank you for all your help someday I will return the favor. :DMost UG members are more than happy to help you out, but remember this: A well written lesson will help you 100X more than what a member can write up in three or four minutes. Use the lessons; I'm sure you'll benefit from them.

:cheers: