UG Competitions

PDA

View Full Version : UG Competitions

jazkel24
10-14-2006, 04:04 AM
So... i had an idea...

well, ya know how theres contests and competitions on the main page? and how theres sometimes songwriting/lyric writing competitions? well, i had an idea...

so we make a UG contest, for.. hm... haven't gotten that far, but it could be something like best band video, or most creative chord progression or something... you get the point.

but basically, we need a reward. so i was wondering about having it, so that every person who enters into the competition throws in like a dollar or two, and the person/people who win get the money at the end, or something that UG buys with the money, like some new sets of strings or something...

i searched, and couldn't find a thread on this, so i'm posting it... what do you think? obviously it needs some work, ie. what the winner is based on, how to make it so you can't cheat, who can be unbiased judges, and of course how to collect money off everyone, but how would that be?

feel free to post, and flame, i don't care...

cheers.

~JAzkel24~

MaAal_MaAan
10-14-2006, 04:12 AM
sounds like fun. I'd sure enter

jazkel24
10-14-2006, 05:09 AM
mm... yeah, i suppose, but i reckon there could be enough people old enough, or willing to ask their parents for use of a credit card...

i don't know, it's just an idea, it needs some thought, and i'm really just putting it out there.

Resiliance
10-14-2006, 05:11 AM
Unbiased judges? Riiiight... Good luck with that.

rockon1824
10-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Unbiased judges? Riiiight... Good luck with that.

I was gonna say the mods could be judges. But then you went ahead and posted that. :p:

jazkel24
10-14-2006, 08:22 AM
I don't know mate, i mean, yeah the judges can be biased when you're voting on songs and stuff, and not getting anything for it, but you gots to be pretty brave to cheat when theres real money or prizes flying around...

or maybe have a group of say 10 that vote between themselves.

paintITblack39
10-14-2006, 02:48 PM
The winner should be modded for a day. :p:

jimmiew
10-14-2006, 02:59 PM
ya that would work...have an account set up on PayPal for UG and have it ran by some mod and what we COULD do is do it as a poll so that all of UG decides who wins.......but well have to like make sure only the person who creates the thread knows who did each song so that nobody can vote for someone just because theyre friends with them or something...just number the songs...thatd be cool...cause we could do as many threads with 10 as we need, take the winner from each one of those, starts threads for those people, then take the winners from there and just keep doing this till we have a winner
then announce the person who wrote that riff so every1 knows that they pwned the whole forum

cokeisbetter
10-14-2006, 03:23 PM
The winner should be modded for a day. :p:
Actually, I think that UG would fight like mad for some free modship.

Rankles
10-14-2006, 03:42 PM
The money idea is terrible, it's more like a pool or a gamble.

As for the idea of contests with rewards eh, they;ve been done before. Prize was Pit mod for a week.

paintITblack39
10-14-2006, 04:31 PM

As for the idea of contests with rewards eh, they;ve been done before. Prize was Pit mod for a week.
I'd love to be a pit mod for a week. Explain more about how these contests happened, please :).

jazkel24
10-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey, that's a decent idea. But still, i reckon i wouldn't mind playing for even like $50 or a couple sets of guitar strings...

yeah to Jimmiew, the poll idea would be cool, if we could figure it out... so... anyone feel motivated to do anything about it?

IndieMetalhead
10-15-2006, 08:41 AM

Needs to be done again. last one was ages ago :p:

kirbyrocknroll
10-15-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't think it's a good idea. We have cover song and lyric competitions. How would we decide on a fitting prize? The money thing wouldn't be too much of a good reward...and UG can't give away free modship whenever someone wins...

jazkel24
10-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Get something with good retail value that most musicians could use- metronome or something, so if they didn't want it, they could flog it off to someone else. But the modship idea wouldn't be permanent, just mod for a couple of days or something.

The thing is, that's all we have, cover songs and lyrics competitions we don't have ones to reward original songs, or classical work, or um... other stuff (i think, if i'm wrong, tell me).

FrenchyFungus
10-15-2006, 06:45 PM

Prize, or forfeit?

yawn
10-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Involving money with it will only result in either lack of participation or attempts to secretly collaborate with the judges.

The prize should be an hour of free buttsecks with the mods.

paintITblack39
10-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Needs to be done again. last one was ages ago :p:
I like the modship for a week idea.

That_Pink_Queen
10-15-2006, 08:33 PM
^That's no fun for the mods though.

kirbyrocknroll
10-15-2006, 08:44 PM
I like the modship for a week idea.
Then most people will realize it's not all about banning stupid people for fun ;)

And like That_Pink_Queen said, it's probably not fun for the mods.

FrenchyFungus
10-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Then most people will realize it's not all about banning stupid people for fun ;)

And like That_Pink_Queen said, it's probably not fun for the mods.

It's not????

<_<
>_>

kirbyrocknroll
10-15-2006, 09:11 PM
It's not????

<_<
>_>
It's all about being a good user and helping keep this place in order.

Just kidding, it's about lobster raping