what would be a good metal pickup for a basswood guitar?

PDA

View Full Version : what would be a good metal pickup for a basswood guitar?

AnarchyGuitarst
10-15-2006, 04:35 AM
i play in a thrash metal band, and i'm building my own guitar from scratch. it's either gonna be shaped like a b.c rich ironbird or an explorer (with the esp head)...

it's for a school project so i'd like to keep it cheap but at the same time i want the sound in the end to be a decent one because i'd like to be able to play it live.

it's gona be made out of basswood, so what kind of pickups should i be looking at?

i only need a bridge pickup for now, what would work?

duncan distortion...invader...live wire-metal...jb...

dimarzio d sonic...x2n....super distortion...

those are a few i'm lookin into right now...which would work best? i want alot of crunch, and not too much treble but i also don't want a fat sound. no dimebuckers! we play mostly pantera, children of bodom, testament, arch enemy type stuff.
so let me know what you think!

sheumack111
10-15-2006, 04:38 AM
Why dont you take a look at the 50000 other threads about someone wanting to upgrade thier pickups in a basswood guitar???

hmmm_de_hum
10-15-2006, 05:51 AM
Pantera - Bill lawrence Xl-500
COB - EMG Hz
Testament - .......?
Arch enemy - JB

i think thats what each band has in bridge position, dont go for the invader.....its really muddy, the live wire is pretty cool but its gonna be a bit complicated trying to wire an active and passive (assuming its dual hums) If it was me i would use the B.L but thats is just because imo it gives the fattest sound...

Punk_Ninja
10-15-2006, 05:53 AM
SD live wire FTW
but i'm geussing you dont want the hasstle of an active?

AnarchyGuitarst
10-15-2006, 10:55 AM
i don't have a problem with wiring an active pickup, my friend knows how to do it.

what pickups on my list would sound liek crap on basswood? i might as well eliminate them now...

duncan distortion...invader...live wire-metal...jb...

dimarzio d sonic...x2n....super distortion...

incockgnito
10-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Evo - neck - solos
D-Sonic (notice the 2 instalation options - "With the solid bar toward the bridge, the sound is a little brighter and better-defined, and this is the direction we recommend for heavy strings and low tunings. With the adjustable polepieces toward the bridge, the sound is warmer and a touch louder, and we think this works best for standard tuning and more solo-oriented playing") - bridge - for metal a'like rythm

Both pickups have split-coil and parallel options for even more variety of sound

Dave_Mc
10-15-2006, 11:35 AM
not an invader, that'll be muddy in basswood.

i don't have much experience with the others...

AnarchyGuitarst
10-15-2006, 01:21 PM
yeah the d sonic sounds pretty cool, i heard it on the dimarzio site. the thing is, the sample song they have for it is a linkin park song...so i have no idea what it would sound like for leads. it's like perfect for rhythm though.

would it be cool on a basswood? oh and i play in standard tuning a whole step down...

incockgnito
10-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Well, D-sonic is also "new" (2004) Petrucci sound, don't bother with LP s*** they sound like s*** ewen on PRS guitars with DiMarzios... I'm going to have Evo/D-sonic set in next week or two, if you are not hurry I can give you sound examples then on basswood Ibanez thru POD XT

AnarchyGuitarst
10-15-2006, 01:41 PM
that'd be great. i loaned my dad like sixty bucks today so i can't but it anyway. i'll wait two weeks to buy the pickup, just to be sure about what i'm gettin :)

AlGeeEater
10-15-2006, 01:50 PM
I like Duncan Distortions in basswood.

Chris

Dave_Mc
10-15-2006, 04:06 PM
^ that might work pretty well in BW, chris... I tried it in alder and it was a bit trebly (could have been the krank playing a part too :( ), BW might warm it up.

:cheers:

AlGeeEater
10-15-2006, 04:17 PM
^ that might work pretty well in BW, chris... I tried it in alder and it was a bit trebly (could have been the krank playing a part too :( ), BW might warm it up.

:cheers:
Yeah, i'd stay away from using Distortions in any wood that leans towards the brighter end of the tone spectrum. Distortions work good in mahogany & korina!

Chris

Dave_Mc
10-15-2006, 04:27 PM
^ yeah.

is it just me or do the big production companies pay no attention whatsoever to what wood the pickups they select work well with?!

:haha

AnarchyGuitarst
10-15-2006, 10:16 PM
the duncan distortions sound nice, i've played them in a basswood warlock i'm pretty sure...it sounded good. but i don't like warlocks.

yeah, so so far i've got duncan distortions and dimarzio d sonic's that'll work :) now i just need to decide between the two.

incockgnito
10-25-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm really sorry but I'm not going to have sound examples for you - yesterday I f*** up, I was drunk and I stepped on my guitar's neck (it was 95% ready to rock&roll, I was waiting only for new strings) Now I'm gona have to buy new body, I don't have money so....

AnarchyGuitarst
10-25-2006, 09:50 PM
aw man, hey well thanks for offering to help. i hope you can get a good guitar, sorry to hear about your old one though.

Generalpwnt
10-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Ford F-150. I think it's made of metal...

Walternativo
10-26-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm really sorry but I'm not going to have sound examples for you - yesterday I f*** up, I was drunk and I stepped on my guitar's neck (it was 95% ready to rock&roll, I was waiting only for new strings) Now I'm gona have to buy new body, I don't have money so....

Say what you will but that is rock n roll.

IXI Streak IXI
10-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Needs some more EMG's.