What am I meant to do with a Metronome?

PDA

View Full Version : What am I meant to do with a Metronome?

uniross
10-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi,

Everyone says to practice with a metronome but nobody tells me how? Am I meant to play a note every time it sounds or in-between? Maybe I'm meant to get it all in after the first but before the second beat or start on the first and end on the second? If I?m playing multiple notes how do I know what I?m meant to be doing and when?

As you can probably tell I?m very confused and an explanation of what I?m supposed to be doing would be most helpful.

Thanks to anyone that can explain what I?m supposed to be doing. :)

Wayward_Son
10-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Just use it as a simplified drum beat of sorts. Play along with it in a general beat, but if the song you're playing has 8th notes/16th notes/syncopation, play off the beat of the metronome like you would if you were playing along with a CD or drummer.

t3hrav3n
10-20-2006, 06:29 PM
do you know what tempo is? if not, do a wikipedia search on tempo and metronomes and that should explain it all.

basically, it's so your playing will be even and sound better. playing with a drummer is better, but that can't always happen, especially when you're just starting out

yawn
10-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I know how ya feel threadstarter. I've been playing for 2 1/2 years and I STILL do horribly with understanding rhythm. Even if I'm given standard notation with the time signature, I'd still not be able to accurately figure out the duration of each of the notes (assuming it's not just a simple note-to-beat rhthym).

Anyways, my suggestion would be to play along to GuitarPro and PowerTab songs. That way, you play along with the song AND you play along with the metronome. Then you can get a feel for how to play along with a metronome.

Gibson_SG_uzr55
10-20-2006, 10:33 PM
*reported*
Wrong forum, truckers.