Band Practice: Setup and Positioning

PDA

View Full Version : Band Practice: Setup and Positioning

T.J.
10-22-2006, 02:46 PM
What, In your own experiences, is the best way to setup your band equipment and member placement to result in the least feedback and best sounding (to the practicing members of the band and not some observer standing in the corner)

I ask because my band got back into rehersal just the other day (been very busy on other things) and our setup I found wasn't very good. We just bought 2 honkin big house speakers (75watts self powered) along with the 2 smaller speakers that came with our PA and of coarse we are using all of them to practice. I find that I need to stand away from the drums further because its all I can hear when a drum roll is done. Right now I'm putting my bass through the PA cause its easy on the POD to do so, but Im wondering if we should mic the guitar and send it through the PA as well because right now I find it a lil loud and not mixing properly and on the other side I only have a lil ****ty $50 mic to do it with right now.

If you would be as so kind as to view the picture of our setup I provided and advise me on what should be done to help us out, hell maybe even draw your own pic if your as bored as I am! (also take notice that speakers, amps, and mics are positioned the way the lil lines are coming out of them and the long lines are cords) I hope my crazy pic is understandable...? (I had to put the pic in a zip file otherwise it was to big)

AngryGuitarist
10-22-2006, 02:49 PM
It should not be in a narrow room, but a place with alot of space, the PA system can have alot of problems if in the wrong place. horrible feedback Etc, Windows around the room can also effect everything, because the PA and amps etc bounces off of it... This can all be a huge mess but you just need to find a place Spacious and make sure to cover all the windows and Have the drums facing the guitar/ bass amps and the PA facing its own direction.

kryzay311
10-22-2006, 02:50 PM
my band just practices with the drums and amps in a circle so we are all facing eachother. after we tweak levels and whatnot, it works/sounds fine.

jazkel24
10-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Thats a sexy good picture :)
But really, i don't know, maybe... yeah. i don't know.

Dutch_Apples
10-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Who's the creepy guy in the corner? Someone's dad?

Every band I join seems to have a different set-up. Here are some ideas we've used before:

1. Set up a wall of sound where you stack all the amps together and have the drums in front.

2. Put drums in a different room (this and all examples will depend on the housing setup)

3. Set up like you are on stage

4. Put an amp in each corner (this is the best we used)

take_it_t
10-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Are those two smaller speakers monitors. Basically the best way would be to have a speaker per person as a personal monitor of the overall sound I find this works out best.

batman123
10-23-2006, 02:50 PM
you probably dont need 4 pa speakers, I would just use two of them as monitors and then set up everything in a circle and have the two speakers pointing the singers

T.J.
10-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Who's the creepy guy in the corner? Someone's dad?

haha no, I just added it in cause I was bored when I drew it.

Now with 2 PA speakers Im not sure if they will be enough because Im thinking of running both bass and guitar through the pa and plus 2 of them are not that great. Personally im thinking about the stage setup cause thats what worked a while ago I remember

Invictious
10-28-2006, 02:41 AM
PA----GUITAR WALL OF AMPS----DRUMS----BASS WALL OF AMPS----PA

note, PAs should point outwards..
Most bands do that live.

roast
10-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Id put the PA speakers in the corners, facing out, but not directly towards the drummer, as the sound will reverb from the dumkit. Other than that, idk.

Elusion777
11-03-2006, 08:55 PM
here's what I'd do:put the "honkin big speakers"where the small p.a.speakers are but tilted in about 45 degrees or so and have those on the main channel,the small p.a. spkrs should be your monitors on the floor in front of you and your other vocalist and have the p.a. setup so your bass doesnt come out them,vocals only,move your amps to beside the honkin big spkrs same angle,then you and the guitar guy can each take a corner of the room and personally I'ld kick that creepy guys a$$ right the f... out of there haha but seriously this way no mics are faceing spkrs and evryone can hear wahts goin on.....good luck!

civildp1
11-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Now with 2 PA speakers Im not sure if they will be enough because Im thinking of running both bass and guitar through the pa and plus 2 of them are not that great. Personally im thinking about the stage setup cause thats what worked a while ago I remember

unless its a huge room, Just use the PA for vocals and don't bother running the bass and guitar through it.. Their amps will be plently loud.

drjimuk
11-07-2006, 06:11 PM
unless its a huge room, Just use the PA for vocals and don't bother running the bass and guitar through it.. Their amps will be plently loud.

Agreed, you sound like you must be practicing at some pretty extreme volumes!