What Kind Of Music Do You Compose ?

PDA

View Full Version : What Kind Of Music Do You Compose ?

Necrolust
10-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Despite what you like to listen to . When and if you write music , in what genre you preffer it to be ?
do you do anything special with it ? like mixing 2 genres or smth ?
Discuss.
I mostly compose black metal with classical dark music elements.
but some good old thrash is always cool to write.

mer_der_noms
10-23-2006, 10:03 PM
I usually write alot of broken chord passages..with alot of interesting chord progressions..just because I can..even though I'd kill to be able to play them on my guitar.

:(

Necrolust
10-23-2006, 10:04 PM
I usually write alot of broken chord passages..with alot of interesting chord progressions..just because I can..even though I'd kill to be able to play them on my guitar.

:(

Lol . But you will eventually , these are your compositions , you have them in the back of your head and you will ;earn them one day or another.

I can play my stuff in my guitar but i wonder if anybody would be able to play the orchestral stuff :confused: ..
lol

LedZeppelin
10-23-2006, 10:04 PM
It varies. I have to write jazzier, not as crazy stuff for my band, since we aren't a metal group. It sounds like Porcupine Tree mixed with occasional DEP-style runs and a bit of Dimebag-style blues groove.

But as for my own personal material, mostly tech death/thrash stuff in the vein of Necrophagist/CC/Behemoth.

chrschri
10-23-2006, 10:07 PM
everything i come up with are like soft-rock that sounds like death cab for cutie and the such dont know why but i like to play so who cares :)

mer_der_noms
10-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Don't get me wrong...not saying this to brag..but I'm not to shabby at playing. About as far as to play When by Opeth and Trial by Fire by Testament...maybe thats not saying much..but for some reason I can write this stuff that sounds kick ass but transferring it over to actually playing..seems impossible.

I went through a binge were I learned a bunch of Jazz and bluesy scales..then tried emproving everything..didn't happen. Ha.

greety
10-23-2006, 10:08 PM
I write music that is Blackest ov the black while I eat my toast, which is blackest ov the black.

Rebourne
10-23-2006, 10:08 PM
I write whatever comes out at the time, meaning a lot of happy music in addition to the dark stuff...

RedDeath9
10-23-2006, 10:09 PM
I like mixing a bunch of stuff together, so it basically turns out like progressive metal.

bobthemonkey14
10-23-2006, 10:09 PM
I thought up this wierd classical/spanish/jazzy riff a few hours ago...but most of my stuff is along the emo/blues/jazz vein. Weird combination...I know...but it works for me.

mer_der_noms
10-23-2006, 10:12 PM
I write music that is Blackest ov the black while I eat my toast, which is blackest ov the black.

Yum...I like my toast black..like I like my Jews..nice and crunchy. :liplick:

/antisemitism

Molodov
10-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Prog of all forms.

Tech, experimental, shred, prog folk, prog rock, post rock, math rock, mathcore, jazz, etc.

I sometimes drift into more traditional metal, usually folk/black metal.

HeavyMetal_69
I usually write Stuff like Minuets and Requiems.... unusual i know..lol But writing the soprano part for guitar makes it sound badass with backing chords Played on like a synth(mostly in requeims)...currently i'm trying to find somone who can play the part written chords on guitar but to no avail i still use the damned synth lol to mer_der_noms You'll be able to play them soon enough alls you have to do is practice just start out usign simple chorsds (or if you know enough theory invert the the chords it's easier for guitar)
-Bomberman

Green_Fox
im not sure. i don't write music much. i do like writing lyrics, stories, poems and such. i'd like to write music for them. i'd prefer the music to be atmospheric death doom.

mer_der_noms
10-23-2006, 10:16 PM
I usually write Stuff like Minuets and Requiems.... unusual i know..lol But writing the soprano part for guitar makes it sound badass with backing chords Played on like a synth(mostly in requeims)...currently i'm trying to find somone who can play the part written chords on guitar but to no avail i still use the damned synth lol to mer_der_noms You'll be able to play them soon enough alls you have to do is practice just start out usign simple chorsds (or if you know enough theory invert the the chords it's easier for guitar)
-Bomberman

I use really complex chords..not really to difficult..its like hearing it..then being able to transfer it..I seem to hear it differently. I know music theory..hell..I'm taking 3 music classes. I've moved on past G, C, A, B, F, E, D, Am and G basic chords. Yay for added 13th, minor chords, diminished, sevenths and especially the 9ths. Gotta love contrasting notes.

Necrolust
10-23-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm very into dark classical music which I compose , lol. I usually give emphasis to the choir , the violins and not much to the guitar . The guitar comes up when needed.
But I'm really having a hard time with the midi sounding instruments. They bellitle the song in a way..

AcidBath443
10-23-2006, 10:30 PM
I usually write very stoner rock-ish riffs. I don't do most of the writing in my band though. I do a lot of fills in our songs though, which are usually just blues scale stuff.

/not that good at playing bass

reef_d
10-23-2006, 11:37 PM
neo classical with loads of tapping and arpeggios involving sweep picking

Alucard II
10-23-2006, 11:38 PM
it really depends on what im listening to. i go through periods of listening to different bands/genres, and that will influence what i write at a particular time. i usually write fairly proggy songs tho, often longer than 7 or 8 minutes, ever changing. last week i wrote a couple of folky/orchestral songs. one very like Agalloch, the other, somewhere between Agalloch & Therion.
this week i've been writing some Necrophagist-esque riffs.

Necrolust
10-23-2006, 11:40 PM
it really depends on what im listening to. i go through periods of listening to different bands/genres, and that will influence what i write at a particular time

Me too. For the past 2 months I have been composing therion esque songs. But I always composing orchestral black metal , that means I will follow this genre. I wish the original recordings sections would have that much responses like this thread. lol

Bodom_Shredder7
10-24-2006, 12:19 AM
i write metalcore rofl. with some deathmetal influences some grindcore stuff. but i listen to alot more different stuff then i write. im in a metalcore band so write metalcore. but on my own time ive written a death metal song or two.

Nelshizzle
10-24-2006, 12:24 AM
I try my hardest to make Melodeath riffs by using harmonic minors. I am very fond on playing black metal with Diminished 5ths and octave chords with some pentatonic solos and raspy vocals.

On occasion i'll do some metalcore chugging with some sweet riffs to go along with.

Brutal Death metal is hard as hell to play. Im still trying to get the hang of it. ><"

acknowledge_me_cas :(
10-24-2006, 12:45 AM
I mostly write tech death, but I also write thrash stuff(not to mention most of the songs I know how to play are thrash.)

jumpmanhat
10-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Me and my guitarist (both asian \m/ im korean, he is Chinese/Phili) make asian/Melo/Prog/Death/Thrash/Stoner/Black/mabe even some tech-death, meh. Since we are into many many different forms of Metal, whatever comes out we play, we dont set limits to what genre we should write in, as long as it is heavy, its all good. (lol, out demo so far has like 8 songs, all of them sound like different genres)

kirkisking
10-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Ambeint, minimalistic stuff.

jaaaaa
10-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Celtic folk music with some blackened thrash and doom elements.

Machanix
10-24-2006, 05:59 AM
My riffs are usually fast and thrashy, though sometimes when I'm feeling bored, I detune and make them slow, and heavy. Sludgey would be a good description. Though, the riff I am most proud of sounds nothing like sludge, or thrash, more of a classic Mainden-esque riff, with a cool little solo.

Dyer's Eve
10-24-2006, 06:03 AM
I can't describe it. Listening to my GP files might give you an idea.

whalepudding
10-24-2006, 07:01 AM
I write music that jumps from genre to genre lots of times during each song, since I all metal too much to just write one type. The main styles I write in is Pantera/Metallica thrash with a tiny bit of System Of A Down in it (Not metal I know), Necrophagisty Cannibal Corpsey death, Emperor/Gorgoroth black, and some Opethyness, Children Of Bodomyness, Slayerness and BLSness every now and then.

I also have a few songs that are like a mix of SOAD's first album, Pantera's Floods and This Love, Metallica's Thing That Should Not Be and Call Of Ctulhu, and Children Of Bodom's Angels Don't Kill.

And yes, it does end up as metal, dispite the whole *gasp* ONE nu metal band I'm influenced by.

Bilzzard_of_Ozz
10-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Usually it's kinda techy/proggy and/or with undertones of folk music. While being heavy.

masterofmuppets
10-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Black Thrash

BR00TAL
10-24-2006, 12:39 PM
It changes. I mostly enjoy composing Tech Death and melding it with Metalcore. But over the last year Ive composed several Prog tracks, and many Classically inspired BM tracks.

Metal Matt
10-24-2006, 12:59 PM
When I write stuff for my little side project it usually comes out somewhat bodomish. But for my main project I am combining everything. I'm currently writing a song at employs classical, acoustic Opeth style riffs, some Dimmu style black as well as a some more traditional black. There is some Amon Amarth style viking riffs and some that are very reminiscent of Iced Earth or older Metallica. There's even some decapitated style tech death riffing going on. The solo's are more melodic with quick bursts of shred. Consequently this song is pretty long. It has already eclipsed the ten minute mark and I've got a long way to go (it's a concept song).

Mahoru
10-24-2006, 01:47 PM
I write two styles of music, and I play both: death metal (like Vörnagar or Vital Remains) with my band (I'm the lead guitarist and also "deep growler" xD), and by my own, I love to write and play psycho rock, with dark industrial metal influence (like Dir en grey).

\m/(>.<)\m/

BR00TAL
10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
When I write stuff for my little side project it usually comes out somewhat bodomish. But for my main project I am combining everything. I'm currently writing a song at employs classical, acoustic Opeth style riffs, some Dimmu style black as well as a some more traditional black. There is some Amon Amarth style viking riffs and some that are very reminiscent of Iced Earth or older Metallica. There's even some decapitated style tech death riffing going on. The solo's are more melodic with quick bursts of shred. Consequently this song is pretty long. It has already eclipsed the ten minute mark and I've got a long way to go (it's a concept song).

That actually sounds orgasmic.

trollblod
10-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Ambient, usually with a lot of effects and a darkish overtone.
usually only one or two guitar tracks, a few samples and drums.

I also write pseudo tech-death :)

Metal Matt
10-24-2006, 02:21 PM
That actually sounds orgasmic.

Thanks. It's got a lot of nightwish and dimmu style keys to it as well. Once we get it recorded I'll let you guys hear it.

uuuuhhhhhhhh
10-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Quite a few:
Militiristic Ambient noise (martial music) : http://www.myspace.com/ichhatt
Black Metal / Neo Folk : Baal Merodach
Drone/Doom : Quoth the Raven.
Synth Rock : Violent O (may join this band soonish if everything works out).

Dirtydeeds468
10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Melo-death-ish, with some crazy hooks and licks thrown in.

I've also started to incorporate jazz and classical elements in my music to deepen the dark brooding feel, yet also retain its heavyness.

Mechanixx
10-24-2006, 03:16 PM
I listen to Classic Metal/NWOBHM stuff old school thrash (and all megadeth) and Pantera stuff

but all I can write is punk.... :(

logboy
10-24-2006, 03:20 PM
mainly thrash, but i sometimes come up with some good melodeath and black metal riffs

laffyjam
10-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Depends what I feel like writing

If ive been listening to Cryptopsy or Nile alot, ill probably end of writing a death metal song. If ive been listening to alot of black metal, ill probably write a black metal song ect.

The band im in is black/death/thrash metal, so it's ok to write songs with different tastes.

dustin the wind
10-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Modern Classical Guitar, Folk, Indie Riffs, Blues.

DeathLegionaire
10-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I want to be able to make tech/brutal death, but I'm not that good...yet. I have written some cool acoustic stuff, kindy folky, but at the same time, Opeth-esque. I also have written a few black metal sounding things.

Gman400
10-24-2006, 04:45 PM
I mostly write br00tal satanic moshcore jungled bluegrass post-metalcore metal, but recently I've been experimenting with contemporary jazz.

InfiniteSadness
10-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Usually it's something atmospheric and doomy.

I also write some death/thrash songs for another band but I'm probably going to leave that band and change those songs to make them more interesting. Might replace the thrash by a symphonic BM sound.

Fuzz_Face
10-24-2006, 06:31 PM
experimental funk-thrash

mingles
10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
thrashy death

Spark1284
10-24-2006, 07:47 PM
im working on perfecting the idea of Prog Thrash. its built around more of a modern technical kind of thrash with opethesque interludes, jsut usually slower and darker, as well as really ridiculously weird rhythms and progressions... its kind of beautiful

Gman400
10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
^Sounds pretty cool actually.

But not better than my genre, no offense.

Icarus66
10-24-2006, 08:43 PM
My band kinda mixes a couple elements of different genres, including Black Metal and Death Metal and whateverthefuck sounds good. We really don't like to say "OH lets write this totally grim black metal song!!", We just let it unfold how we put it together and determine whether all the riffs and sections are appropriate...etc. See for yourself: www.purevolume.com/gilgameshusa

/band whoring

Necrolust
10-24-2006, 08:47 PM
^ yeah me too. I start by composing a black metal song but in the end it comes up like an orchestrated black metal song with power and thrash metal elements.. lol..

Ramseus
10-24-2006, 09:01 PM
But I'm really having a hard time with the midi sounding instruments. They bellitle the song in a way..
Do you use soundfonts? If you don't you should because they can get pretty realistic sounding.

Lately I've been writing sort of viking black/death metal, with lyrics based on the Elder Scrolls video games :D

Necrolust
10-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Do you use soundfonts? If you don't you should because they can get pretty realistic sounding.

Lately I've been writing sort of viking black/death metal, with lyrics based on the Elder Scrolls video games :D

I'm acquireing Reason now. I have been told that it is a flawless programm. I hope it will make my songs awesome ;P

strigoi_vii
10-24-2006, 09:43 PM
I mainly compose classical influenced Brutal Death. I play in a Raw Black Metal band though. Talk about restraint haha.

Panasonic Youth
10-24-2006, 11:50 PM
I usually listen to metalcore, but a lot of the stuff I write has more of a metal sound. Lately I've been getting into Nile and Behemoth, and that influence shows in my more recent stuff. I play in Drop D, so that sort of adds that heavy sound to whatever I write, too.

acknowledge_me_cas :(
10-24-2006, 11:58 PM
br00tal satanic moshcore jungled bluegrass post-metalcore metal

:headbang:

into the moat
10-24-2006, 11:58 PM
mostly ill do melodeath and melodic hard rock. i come up with mabye 2 new riffs a day, occasionally ill do tech death just for fun.

into the moat
10-24-2006, 11:59 PM
I usually listen to metalcore, but a lot of the stuff I write has more of a metal sound. Lately I've been getting into Nile and Behemoth, and that influence shows in my more recent stuff. I play in Drop D, so that sort of adds that heavy sound to whatever I write, too.

lol, B standard and dropped A here.

kirkisking
10-25-2006, 01:25 AM
Aside from the ambient stuff/noise, I also write a lot of goold old classic death metal style stuff. Gore themed lyrics lol.

Necrolust
10-25-2006, 01:33 AM
the only thing I cant do is writte lyrics.. I hate that.. lol