Easy songs with A, Am, C, D, E, Em, G...

PDA

View Full Version : Easy songs with A, Am, C, D, E, Em, G...

Socks
10-28-2006, 04:31 AM
...and then with some of the other easier open chords eg. D7, Bm, Dm.

Firstly the apologies. I know there's an 'ONLY here' sticky, but it's not really helpful for what I'm after.

I've been learning guitar for 6 weeks now, and am wanting to learn rhythm first (ie. chords) before I do any significant lead guitar learning. When I see threads/posts giving 'easy' songs, I look for the tabs mentioned and find they're anything but. A lot of what I read is "I picked up a guitar for the first time 5 days ago and can already play blah, blah, blah. What can I learn now?". I sit here thinking you can't play that to anything like a decent level, but they're just told to learn some Doomslayer, Deathdestroyer, or Bloodkiller. (Note to self: get back on track)

Anyway, I've been practicing switching between the chords given in the header, and to a lesser degree the other chords mentioned at the top, but it's much more fun doing it with songs. The only songs I've got so far are 'Brown-eyed Girl' (G, C, D, Em) and 'Tambourine Man' (A, D, Em, G). I have looked (and looked) for others, but it's not so easy to find them.

Anyone direct me to any good ones. Music-wise I like British-based stuff like Oasis, Franz Ferdinand, The Who, Travis. The old 'classics' will be good, but I'm not interested in metal, Metallica, Blink182 etc.

Cheers!

trigs
10-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Oasis Some Might Say

AdamDK
10-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Wild Thing is easy, and uses A,D,E and A7 but that's a easy chord.

steven seagull
10-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Pretty much anything by Oasis is a ready-made exercise in open chords! The important thing is to check out the transcriptions and just pick uout the underlying chords to play along to, don't worry if there's techniques you haven't learned in there because you can always simplify it down to the basic chords.

You might find the odd new chord in some of these songs but don't worry about them - you'll be surprised at how quickly you pick them up.

Live Forever
Roll With It
Don't Look Back in Anger
Half The World Away

other stuff you could try...
Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
Whiskey in the Jar - Thin Lizzy
Behind Blue Eyes - The Who
Should I Stay or Should I Go - The Clash
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
Girl from Mars - Ash
American Pie - Don McLean
Tribute - Tenacious D (honestly!)
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
...prettty much any of the early beatles stuff. Lots of 7th chords in there, but all that involves is moving one finger.

Also good on you for learning to walk before you can run. If you do all this kind of stuff now you'll give yourself a good grounding on the instrument. The more complicated stuff will actually go in easier but, more importantly, you'll actually understand what you're learning. Too many people want to jump straight in and just end up learning a load of solos and riffs parrot fashion, they'll be able to play them but won't see how they fit in with the rest of a song.

Socks
10-29-2006, 06:00 AM
Cheers 'Seagull', that's helpful.

One or two of those have got chords in that I'm not quite ready for yet, but most were just what I was after.

Found it takes me a while to work out the timing changes, how long to strum for, and a decent strum pattern, but eventually I can make something recognizable (well to me anyway).

Also found a couple of easy Elvis songs. Not really the sort of thing I want to be playing long-term, but I think it's the best way of progessing.

glynk71
10-30-2006, 05:33 PM
house of the rising sun, there's an f7 in there but thats probably easier to play than a standard f

steven seagull
10-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Bang Bang You're Dead by Dirty Pretty Things is fairly straightforward too.

One or two of those have got chords in that I'm not quite ready for yet, but most were just what I was after.

Nonsense! You're always ready for the next chord! You should start looking at barre chords too , as they really open things up. They're fiddly at first, and getting all the strings fretted with one finger will seem impossible at first but stick with it. They also help you understand the fretboard better, I learned the notes by learning where the barre chords were.

I wasn't up to playing lead, but I was playing lots of chord rhythms - by using barre chords I started to learn my way around the fretboard.

Mongoose87
10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

CowboyUp
10-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Wish You Were Here by Floyd and Tangerine by Zep.

Saikotic
10-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Hotel California, if you want a really easy song.

mart744
11-01-2006, 05:02 PM
ive only been playing for about a year, but ive learned most oasis records now. im a massive oasis fan. i found the easiest ones to be wonderwall, whatever, cast no shaddow, and dont look back in anger. now ive done most of the oasis songs i want to learn ive moved on to razorlight and coldplay. they both have some easy songs, like somewhere else,vice, fix you, clocks. if you like the manic street preachers, if you tollerate this then your children will be next is pretty easy. tumble and fall by feeder. run by snowpatrol.

hope this helps.

mcguinnjustin
11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
here is a list:

Bad Moon Risin-CCR
Simple Man-lynard skynard
Blue on black-Kenny Wayne Shepard
Runaway Train-Soul asylum
Black-Pearl Jam
Last Kiss-Pearl Jam (cover)
Back 2 Good-Matchbox 20
Rockin in the free world-Neil Young
Shine (Acoustic)-Collective Soul
Breathe in the Air-Pink Floyd
Mary Janes Last Dance-Tom Petty
Knockin on heavens door -Bob Dylan
3 am - Matchbox 20

these are some easy ones to get started on, i belevie some of these call for a D6 which is just like the D chord but with the high e played open, useful chord

Dont rely to much on these learn all the other chords start with F and B then all the barre chords will become easy, and you will learn all the other little chords in time open 7ths, sus's etc.. it can seem a little intimidating at first but just stick with it and over time you'll know any chord and if you learn a new one it will be easier to finger if you know a lot of them already

hope i helped