How "clean" do lyrics have to be?

PDA

View Full Version : How "clean" do lyrics have to be?

Herr_Grinch
10-29-2006, 02:06 AM
I want to submit a song I wrote in the "Songwriting and Lyrics", but it does use an assortment of swears (which I could censor). However, the bigger question: My song has "anti-religion" values tied into it, because its about my life growing up as a boy raised as a Christian, and how much they lied to me. Am I able to still post this song?

Yes, it may offend people, but its how I feel. Anyhow, I thought it better to ask before posting, so I don't offend people.

deportivo
10-29-2006, 02:21 AM
go for it. at worst, you get flamed and warned.

lespaul_rentals
10-29-2006, 02:34 AM
Yes, you're allowed to. You have freedom of speech in the S&L Forum. As for the cussing, just let the UG swear filter take care of it.

divid3d
10-29-2006, 02:36 AM
from the S&L rules:

"No offensive songs/lyrics
This can be a problem because there's some leeway for interpretation so I'll clear things up: if your lyrics contain racist, homophobic, sexist, grotesquely disturbing, overtly and graphically violent or just plain insulting lyrics, including lyrics with flagrant 'censor aversion,' then it will be closed and there's the likely possibility for a warning. And I have the final say on what's offensive or not."

for a definite answer though, send a PM to pooch0072, jallas, or Mascot.

unluCKY...

Herr_Grinch
10-29-2006, 02:37 AM
Thanks guys, I'll post it

Herr_Grinch
10-29-2006, 02:42 AM
from the S&L rules:

This can be a problem because there's some leeway for interpretation so I'll clear things up: if your lyrics contain racist, homophobic, sexist, grotesquely disturbing, overtly and graphically violent or just plain insulting lyrics, including lyrics with flagrant 'censor aversion,' then it will be closed and there's the likely possibility for a warning. And I have the final say on what's offensive or not."

unluCKY...

I read that, but I was unsure for a couple of reasons:

A) I'm not angry at Christians because they beleive in a God, its that they've affected me greatly in a negative way. So its more personal, rather than just "hate". Its more how I perceive how the religion works, or rather, how its actually practiced.

B) The S&L rules aren't specific on religion.

But my lyrics can clearly be percieved as offensive, think Marilyn Manson

On second thought, I'm not goign to post after confirmation from one of the guys you gave me.

Craigo
10-29-2006, 05:30 AM
Some people consider racism to do with regilions. I'd PM your song to a mod if your ths unsure, and no matter what happens, always post a warning that it might be offensive and that mods have cleared it anyway.

Jacob6293
10-29-2006, 09:58 PM
from the S&L rules:

i don't think it says anything about religion......

go for it.

bigwillie
10-29-2006, 10:33 PM
From the S&L rules, I'd say you're OK.

caz_guitar_dude
10-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Ok, i'm a S&L regular and have been for quite a while. I myself have posted "anti-religious" poems on there and it's been fine; you have, within reason, freedom of speach and opinion. So as long as it's not "GOD SUCKS!!!!!! SATAN RULESSS!!! JESUS WAY GAY!!!!!" sort of thing, it's absolutely fine.

Oh and as for the swearing, everyone just makes one letter in the word italic or bold to get around the filter; swearing is quite a common place in S&L, but only if it's justified and used correctly.

Hope i helped clear things up a bit.