[Powertab] Sea

PDA

View Full Version : [Powertab] Sea

Andrewbiles
10-30-2006, 01:38 PM
This is a track I wrote and recorded ages ago but recently started playing again and decided to tab it out as I found I was slowly forgetting parts and having to think hard to remember them. Its not very technical and there isn't a ton to it, but its a nice one to play and it contains some of my favourite chords so thought I'd try and get some opinions on it.

Also, if anyone can help me with the odd time signatures at points I'd appreciate it.
:cheers:

I'll happily comment on a track of yours if you do mine (links make it a lot easier ;))

DarkSonata
10-30-2006, 03:43 PM
I liked it a lot. It was very soothing and I liked how you used uncommon chords, the progression was great. The only thing I would reccomend would be to change the open notes that come after the same note on the 5th fret of a lower string, it sounds wierd having three of the same notes in a row. Give mine a look...thanks. here is the link.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456240

Andrewbiles
10-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah, that does sound really bollocks on that powertab, but played on an actual guitar I think it sounds a lot better. The original recording of it is up here (http://primordial-chaos.dmusic.com/music/) with a bit more to it (didn't like the break in that version though). Also I didn't include the slide of the 2/4/5 on the powertab as it just doesn't do slides very well. I'll have a listen to it in a minute.
Cheers for listening, glad you enjoyed it :cheers:

HumanitysDeath
10-30-2006, 08:34 PM
I really liked that. The intro reminded me of something Brand New might do.
I liked just about all of it.
But, it seem kind of empty. Like, there could be more to make it sound fuller. Get me?
Maybe another guitar, or simply bass. But I think something could help fill it out.

If you don't mind critting mine, there's a link in my sig.

Andrewbiles
10-31-2006, 10:40 AM
I really liked that. The intro reminded me of something Brand New might do.

:( - Just glad it was only the intro ;)

There is more than just the one guitar, just couldn't be bothered to write it all out. There is a second guitar, a bass and a djembe (I think thats what it is, can't remember).

Nunwhxre 666
11-01-2006, 02:34 PM
It was really good. I loved the chord progression and the use of chords that are rarely seen. As you said, the intro sounds better on real guitar, so I got mine and played the intro. It does sound good on guitar, but Powertab makes it sound bad. So, an overall good job. Crit mine if you get a chance. (Forever In My Heart) Link in the signature.

Andrewbiles
11-01-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm glad you gave the intro a shot on the guitar, the MIDIness of powertab just ruins the feeling the notes have. So much to hate about MIDI.

banjo02
11-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Wow. What a calming song. Seriously. I was in a really crappy mood before listening to this, but I feel a bit better now. As other people mentioned, I greatly enjoyed the use of rarely seen chords. At first it felt a bit akward, but as the song progressed, my liking for those chords grew. Honestly, there really isn't anything I'd want to change about your song. It's just so.. mellow, y'know? I love it man, keep up the awesome work.

aprescott_27
11-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Are you supposed to be missing a note in the first bar? It drives me nuts for some reason. Other than that, I liked it. I thought the dissonance was a bit much in some cases, but PowerTab makes it sound worse than it is, usually.

Overall, nice, I liked it. Crit one of mine? Links are in my sig.

Spark1284
11-01-2006, 11:15 PM
score checker?

Andrewbiles
11-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Wow. What a calming song. Seriously. I was in a really crappy mood before listening to this, but I feel a bit better now. As other people mentioned, I greatly enjoyed the use of rarely seen chords. At first it felt a bit akward, but as the song progressed, my liking for those chords grew. Honestly, there really isn't anything I'd want to change about your song. It's just so.. mellow, y'know? I love it man, keep up the awesome work.

Thank you :D

Are you supposed to be missing a note in the first bar? It drives me nuts for some reason. Other than that, I liked it. I thought the dissonance was a bit much in some cases, but PowerTab makes it sound worse than it is, usually.

Overall, nice, I liked it. Crit one of mine? Links are in my sig.

Yeah, it is supposed to be like that. I like it for some reason. On paper it doesn't look right but in my head, when I'm playing it, it sounds just right. I think it may be because I'm playing the riff four times through and so it adds up to an extra 2 beats on the end of standard 4/4 bars, but then the emphasis on the leading notes aren't changing each time round so I'm not 100% sure why it sounds ok (at least to me).
Anyway, glad you liked it :cheers:

gutsman
11-03-2006, 08:49 AM
very tranquilizing and mellow piece.

the timing seems weird at a few places though (7 quarter notes in a 4/4?) but maybe you intended it that way. also, it's seems a bit stretched out at times..

but other then that its good. the melody is catching and gives off a nice atmosphere. thumbs up!