Wood Question...

PDA

View Full Version : Wood Question...

UniverseZero
10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
No, not what wood gives what tone....

What makes mahogany, maple, alder and ash great guitar woods?
What makes agathis and other woods crappy guitar woods?

Plywood is obviously crappy because of the lack of continuity of the grain and the tone loss given by the glue between each layer but what about the others?

AlGeeEater
10-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Nothing seperates them really, it's ALL opinion. Agathis isn't crappy though, it's just used on general crap guitars where the quality of the guitar as a whole is bad. It's actually a very nice tonewood.

Chris

Calum_Barrow
10-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Like Algee says, it's all down to preference of the player. Some people may even prefer plywood - you never know.

Tedward
10-30-2006, 06:18 PM
it makes me feel fuzzy inside knowing my guitar is made of mahogany.

Toms' anominous
10-30-2006, 06:21 PM
/\ dude i know what you mean thats why i love mahogany and an oak one wood (see what i did there?) be awsome is it anygood?

CorduroyEW
10-30-2006, 06:26 PM
price and sex appeal.

If flamed mapel didn't look hot it would never be used on a guitar. People like a guitar that looks good and they will pay out the ass for it. Figured, curly, flamed, and quilted wood is all bad for tone but it is what what call "master grade" wood. Why? because it looks nice.

As far as tone... We are used to a certain sound and we try to and make what we are used to. Do you really thing that the "BEST" pickup was the first pickup ever made? I don't think so. but that is what we fell in love with so that is what we go after. For tonewood, we go after what looks nice and what we are used to hearing. We are used to hearing mahogany for metal, and alder for classic rock so thats what we think is best. It has nothing to do with the actual property of the tonewood. It's all about what we have been told, what we are used to, and what we think looks nice.

fire within
10-30-2006, 06:28 PM
i like the mahogany sound, dunno why, i just do

tubadude
10-30-2006, 06:42 PM
*raises hand*

if figured woods are bad tonewoods, why are stradivarious violins that are known for their tone have flamed maple back and necks?

Ervinr82
10-30-2006, 06:45 PM
My danelectro reissuie is made just like it was back in the day, its hollowbody plywood, and im not going to lie it sound really good. some famous guitarist still use them today.

CorduroyEW
10-30-2006, 06:48 PM
*raises hand*

if figured woods are bad tonewoods, why are stradivarious violins that are known for their tone have flamed maple back and necks?

because strads used wood that had been soaking in solt water for 50+ years and stradivariouse was just that good. Even though we know exactly what he did to make his violins we still can't reproduce them because he was that 1 in a 1,000,000.

peever
10-30-2006, 08:00 PM
what makes wood "good" or gives it its tone is the vibrations in the wood pores
mahogany, alder, ash, and maple are all popular tone woods because the frequency that they vibrate sounds somewhat pleasing to the ear

forsaknazrael
10-31-2006, 02:40 AM
/\ dude i know what you mean thats why i love mahogany and an oak one wood (see what i did there?) be awsome is it anygood?

Oak is not known to have good resonant properties, but hey Brian May's Red Special is partially made of oak. It also has a mahogany neck and mahogany veneer and such...is semi-hollow...but...let's not split hairs.

UniverseZero
10-31-2006, 08:25 PM
I ask it because of the fact that I live in Central America, and I would like to ask what kinds of woods i could use that grow in this area, because i am almost sure that I can't get mahogany or maple, or ash or any of those American woods..... some have said rosewood but..... what can i do?

dave293
10-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Being in central america you should be able to get hold of some mahogany or maybe cocobolo, Balsamo, at least some form of useable hardwood. Ask at any saw mills or lumber yards, if they don't have any they may know where to find some.

UniverseZero
10-31-2006, 09:10 PM
I am sure there is usable wood... the question is which?

Cocobolo ok...... I will ask (wich btw is just another kind of rosewood)
Mahogany ok.... I will ask
Balasamo wtf? never heard about that one....

dave293
10-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Balsamo is a central american wood sometimes used as a brazilian rosewood substitute. There will be other woods you can use i was just listing central american woods used in guitarmaking of the top of my head.

UniverseZero
10-31-2006, 09:52 PM
hmmm... ok, wikipedia doesn't know anything about it but i will ask at the lumber yard :p

MrDelirious
10-31-2006, 11:47 PM
careful with the cocobolo, the dust from that can ruin your whole day. :(

dave293
11-01-2006, 01:12 AM
hmmm... ok, wikipedia doesn't know anything about it but i will ask at the lumber yard :p

http://www.windsorplywood.com/tropical_woods/balsamo.html