Metalcore Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Metalcore Forum

Cedence
10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
I've been recently posting a lot in the hardcore forum, and I can't help but notice the amount of metalcore that the forum is overrun with. Now this may seem like some stupid, genre-bashing complaint, but a lot of the regulars in the forum have the same opinion as I. A lot of the bands talked about in the forum (Atreyu, Lamb of God, Thursday, the list goes on) have very little if anything at all to do with hardcore. Again, I'm not trying to say "OMG they rnt HXC!!1!", but they hardly have any roots at all in hardcore. If there was one forum for all "rock music", that certainly wouldn't work.

So what I'm suggesting is that a forum for metalcore music be created to separate the two continuously diverging genres. Again, it's just a suggestion, but I think it's a reasonable one.

xmurderoticax
10-31-2006, 11:07 PM
Metalcore is an entirely different genre than hardcore. All band invovled in metalcore have influences of hardcore in some way or another (even if it's being influenced from a previous metalcore band). I agree, there should be a seperate forum. Grouping metalcore and hardcore together is like grouping death metal and black metal together.

rcw110131
10-31-2006, 11:07 PM
I fully agree, it's like all the OMGLOLZ tr00 metalheads say "see yourself to the hardcore forum" and the OMGLOLZ troo hXc kids are like "take yo **** to the metal forum".

So yeah, it would pretty much solve all that crap.

FrenchyFungus
10-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Is it needed? The Hardcore forum's not exactly bulging at the seams.

I admit I never go into the Hardcore forum, but don't see the need for a whole nother forum for Metalcore.

jof1029
11-01-2006, 12:42 AM
Grouping metalcore and hardcore together is like grouping death metal and black metal together.
im hoping that was sarcastic, but i get the feeling it wasnt.

there is absolutly no chance of this happening. if blues and jazz can fit together, then so can two genres that are a lot more closely related such as hardcore and metalcore. we dont need more forums for subdivisions of music that isnt all that different (im sure you would like to argue that point, but you have to admit that they arent different like folk is different from techno). really, it just realisticly isnt going to happen.

IndieMetalhead
11-01-2006, 05:59 AM
They should stay together to be honest. Both genres have utter ****e in them, both should be relegated to beneath the emo forum.

rockon1824
11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I know this'll probably piss off a lot of metalheads, but I think metalcore is more influenced by metal than hardcore. When I think hardcore, I think like hardcore punk and stuff. So if you'd move it anywhere, it would be to the metal forum. That would cause the implosion of the solar system however, so it's best to just leave it.

Incubus_SCIENCE
11-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I would die for a Grindcore forum, but you don't see me complaining.

If I was to post, say, the noisecore band An Albatross in Hardcore, you guys would get pissed at me. If I was to post it in modern rock, they would get pissed at me. If i put it in other, they would tell me to move it into metal or hardcore...

So, we don't have the most exact genre list. You just need to learn to accept that music in that forum. There is nowhere else for it, and there is no room to make an entire new section for one genre. If you do it for one, you'll have to do it for everything.

Cedence
11-01-2006, 09:25 PM
im hoping that was sarcastic, but i get the feeling it wasnt.

there is absolutly no chance of this happening. if blues and jazz can fit together, then so can two genres that are a lot more closely related such as hardcore and metalcore. we dont need more forums for subdivisions of music that isnt all that different (im sure you would like to argue that point, but you have to admit that they arent different like folk is different from techno). really, it just realisticly isnt going to happen.

I can see your point of view, but I guess you'd have to be a listener to get what Im saying. I understand that early metalcore has SOME roots in hardcore, but the modern stuff sounds nothing like modern or old hardcore. I understand why they would be grouped together, but it really doesnt work. For every one person that listens to hardcore in that forum, there are 10 people that listen to metalcore or whatever other genre of the sort. They really are completely different genres, if you give each a good listen. If this was done with every forum, there would be about 3 or 4 forums. If Metal and Nu-metal, as well as Punk and "Hardcore" can have separate forums, I don't see why a metalcore forum can't be created.

Either way, I know it probably won't happen, at least not for some time. I'm just trying to bring up a valid point that should be considered. Maybe someday in the future it'll happen.

Kid_Thorazine
11-01-2006, 09:30 PM
if anything metalcore belongs in the metal forum, because most of it sounds nothing like hardcore and a lot like metal, metalcore is a really stupid arbitrary genre distinction in the first place. the only definition ive heard is that it has breakdowns, which somehow associtates it with hardcore, although not all hardcore (especially ealrier hardcore) uses breakdowns, nor are breakdowns exclusive to hardcore, really most of the music is just metal that got a little to popular for metalheads to like it, so they decided to make up a stupid arbitrary distinction.

stepco12345
11-03-2006, 12:11 AM
I would die for a Grindcore forum, but you don't see me complaining.

If I was to post, say, the noisecore band An Albatross in Hardcore, you guys would get pissed at me. If I was to post it in modern rock, they would get pissed at me. If i put it in other, they would tell me to move it into metal or hardcore...

So, we don't have the most exact genre list. You just need to learn to accept that music in that forum. There is nowhere else for it, and there is no room to make an entire new section for one genre. If you do it for one, you'll have to do it for everything.

What's grindcore?

Also, nah, your getting to specific. I'd love an alternative metal forum, but meh, watcha gonna do?

-stepco:p::p:

divid3d
11-03-2006, 08:09 AM
i regularly visit the hardcore forum and i don't see a problem with how it is at the moment. and personally i see more ties between hardcore and metalcore than metalcore and metal, but meh.

but yeah there is plenty of room in that forum for both genres (and grindcore and nintendocore and any other 'core' genres infact) and tbh i haven't seen anyone say "lol that band should be in metal!!" about metalcore bands, and if they did, they would be wrong. anyway, neither metalcore or hardcore generate enough threads on their own to warrant a seperate forum.

so yeah... i say leave it.

unluCKY...

Mascot
11-05-2006, 04:33 AM
As is.

Gurgle!Argh!
11-05-2006, 07:49 AM
ive been saying for ages that metalcore would fit much better in the metal forum.

theguitarist
11-05-2006, 09:18 AM
ive been saying for ages that metalcore would fit much better in the metal forum.

:haha :haha :haha

Dirtydeeds468
11-05-2006, 07:25 PM

Uh. No. :haha

narmi
11-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Not needed

End of discussion.

Cmogi10
11-05-2006, 08:21 PM
just stick it all in a Less then sub-par music forum and lets call it a day.

Gurgle!Argh!
11-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Uh. No. :haha

uh. yes.

listen to metalcore. listen to metal. listen to true hardcore. metalcore is a lot closer to metal than it is to hardcore, as much as anything for the fact that largely it totally ignores the ethics that hardcore is built upon, but also for the simple fact that it sounds a lot more like metal than hardcore.

IndieMetalhead
11-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Very true. but you know spynal and the gang will have a field day if a Trivium or KSE thread pops up in the metal forum. I think the Hardcore forum should be called YCore, where Y = emo/metal/hard/grunge/emo/indie

lol, indiecore. :heart:

BigFatSandwich
11-06-2006, 08:19 AM
uh. yes.

listen to metalcore. listen to metal. listen to true hardcore. metalcore is a lot closer to metal than it is to hardcore, as much as anything for the fact that largely it totally ignores the ethics that hardcore is built upon, but also for the simple fact that it sounds a lot more like metal than hardcore.
whoa. I think you guys are putting way too much thought to this. I say leave it like it is because, well... it really doesn't matter.

at all.

could you imagine if we had a seperate forum for every different subgenre of music out there? metal alone would have at least two hundred.

Andrewbiles
11-06-2006, 09:23 AM
but also for the simple fact that it sounds a lot more like metal than hardcore.

I completely agree, its much closer to metal than hardcore in my opinion, but it wouldn't work. I rarely see complaining in the hardcore forum about a metalcore thread, but if it ends up in the metal forum then it instantly goes to ****, mainly because very few members in there seem to have self-control over what they type.
It would be nice to have a lot of sub forums of forums, but it'd over complicate things and more moaning would ensue. Metalcore is going to pass over soon enough so I wouldn't worry about it, or if anything, combine it with the nu-metal forum as it'd bring more action into that virtually dead forum.

narmi
11-06-2006, 12:09 PM
lol the nu metal forum has completely died

It has been killed off, just like that prick Fred Durst

Gurgle!Argh!
11-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Very true. but you know spynal and the gang will have a field day if a Trivium or KSE thread pops up in the metal forum. I think the Hardcore forum should be called YCore, where Y = emo/metal/hard/grunge/emo/indie

lol, indiecore. :heart:

they might complain about it now, possibly justifiably (although considering how much closer to metal most metalcore bands sound its not surprising some are misplaced), but if metalcore was supposed to be in there they would not have any good reason to complain about it.

out of interest though, why oh why is there still a nu-metal forum? no-one cares about nu-metal anymore...

Dirtydeeds468
11-07-2006, 01:40 AM
uh. yes.

Oh, no, you're completely right, but I'm saying that bands like that (maybe with the possible exception of Lamb of God) would NEVER, NEVER be able to flourish in an environment like the Metal Forum. Most of the regulars in that forum are deadset against it, and the general consensus around that forum is that metalcore just wouldn't work there.

<><
11-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Oh, no, you're completely right, but I'm saying that bands like that (maybe with the possible exception of Lamb of God) would NEVER, NEVER be able to flourish in an environment like the Metal Forum. Most of the regulars in that forum are deadset against it, and the general consensus around that forum is that metalcore just wouldn't work there.Plus the fact that *most* metalcore sucks almost as bad as all hardcore does.

Gurgle!Argh!
11-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Oh, no, you're completely right, but I'm saying that bands like that (maybe with the possible exception of Lamb of God) would NEVER, NEVER be able to flourish in an environment like the Metal Forum. Most of the regulars in that forum are deadset against it, and the general consensus around that forum is that metalcore just wouldn't work there.

and? are they not capable of ignoring threads about bands they dont like? there are plenty of HC regulars who really dislike metalcore. why should metal regulars get special treatment?

FrenchyFungus
11-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Because the Hardcore forum is smaller, and can therefore take metalcore too.

Pan-Tallica
11-07-2006, 09:22 AM
and? are they not capable of ignoring threads about bands they dont like? there are plenty of HC regulars who really dislike metalcore. why should metal regulars get special treatment?They shouldn't get special treatment, but if metalcore was grouped with metal, all the metal forum regulars would be banned within a week. :p:

Oh, and I agree with what Frenchy said... The metal forum can get pretty busy.

theguitarist
11-07-2006, 09:32 AM
They shouldn't get special treatment, but if metalcore was grouped with metal, all the metal forum regulars would be banned within a week. :p:

Oh, and I agree with what Frenchy said... The metal forum can get pretty busy.

yah, erm.

The metal forum has the highest number of posts and threads out of all the B&A sub forums.

Don't know if that's biased by some forums not being pruned or not.

FrenchyFungus
11-07-2006, 09:34 AM
^I checked a few forums, it's not.

theguitarist
11-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Not biased you mean? RIght?

FrenchyFungus
11-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Not biased.

The oldest threads in the forums I checked (Metal, CR, one other) were all from 6th November last year.

duncang
11-08-2006, 03:33 PM
It's actually a good idea to put it in nu-metal (but rename it), since that forum really is dead.

mr. riff
11-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Although I do agree that metalcore is more related to metal, it should stay in the hardcore forum because if you take the metalcore out of there there'll be almost no action going on there. Besides, the metal forum is packed as it is.

Oh, and the Nu Metal forum should be renamed to "Alternative Metal" because most the bands on that forum aren't exactly nu metal.

theguitarist
11-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Why don't we just rename NU-Metal to 'Not-Metal'

:p:

Though I like the odd bit of metalcore my self, I'm not much of a hardcore fan and thus never bother even going into the forum. Not sure if metalcore is just gonna fizzle out, but nu metal did, as many predicted...

timi_hendrix
11-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Putting it with nu-metal seems like a good idea.

rockon1824
11-11-2006, 10:08 PM

Agreed.

Dirtydeeds468
11-12-2006, 05:29 PM

I second teh motion.

mr.joopy987
11-12-2006, 11:21 PM
I don't think so. It is probably best just to keep it with hardcore, as metalcore emerged from hardcore, and really, who is to decide what is metal core and what is "truye hardcore"

Dirtydeeds468
11-13-2006, 02:23 AM
I don't think so. It is probably best just to keep it with hardcore, as metalcore emerged from hardcore, and really, who is to decide what is metal core and what is "truye hardcore"

Meh. Regardless, they're both fading genres, and having two different forums to bear the weight of each one just doesn't make sense.

NoisyPinkBubble
11-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by timi_hendrix

Metalcore fanboys would riot.

timi_hendrix
11-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Metalcore fanboys would riot.

What are they going to do, flail their arms about and flick their fringes? ;)

the nu metal forum is pretty much dead, and interest in metalcore is waning, so it makes sense to put them with each other to give the forum a little more traffic.