Raking?

PDA

View Full Version : Raking?

Zaphod_Beeblebr
11-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Now i've been playing bass for a couple of years and i don't think i'm that bad, on the other hand i'm no virtuoso, but i do have a question:

Is raking a bad habit?

I've been raking ever since i started playing, but i think it's hindering my string skipping, so is it really a bad habit when trying to build some serious speed or should i just train myself out of doing it only when skipping strings?

Incubus_SCIENCE
11-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Not if you can control it. I rake a lot, but I don't feel it hinders my technique. It is much easier to play downward runs while raking. Raking with 3 fingers really gets you some interesting sounds... So, its not a bad thing. You just need to learn how to get it controlled.

jazz_rock_feel
11-01-2006, 11:07 PM
In my opinion it is because it is a lot harder to play faster when raking. Like when playing some crazy Jaco stuff there is no way Jaco rakes because it is ways faster to use both fingers instead of just one on the way down it's crazy hard I mean you COULD if you really wanted to but it is a lot harder to make the speed right. I might be talking about the wrong kind of raking the thing I am talking about is also called dragging where on the way down you use all your index finger instead of alternating index middle and I think you might be talking about RAKING raking. If so ignore this post

StygianFury666
11-02-2006, 04:03 PM
In my opinion it is because it is a lot harder to play faster when raking. Like when playing some crazy Jaco stuff there is no way Jaco rakes because it is ways faster to use both fingers instead of just one on the way down it's crazy hard I mean you COULD if you really wanted to but it is a lot harder to make the speed right. I might be talking about the wrong kind of raking the thing I am talking about is also called dragging where on the way down you use all your index finger instead of alternating index middle and I think you might be talking about RAKING raking. If so ignore this post
Jaco rakes all the time... he even explains it on the Jaco Pastorius Electric Bass video he made

RHCP-baSs fan
11-02-2006, 04:06 PM
wats raking?

jazz_rock_feel
11-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Jaco rakes all the time... he even explains it on the Jaco Pastorius Electric Bass video he made

Yeah I am definitly talking about a different thing ignore my above post.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
11-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I think i'm just gonna train myself out of it completely, training myself not to do it for the past few days has already increased my speed by quite a ways and my string skipping is infinitely better, thanks again.

crazypeanutman
11-02-2006, 08:12 PM
:cheers: practice and dedication can break almost any bad habit. glad its working out for you.

MX4Life
11-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Is raking like sweep picking backwards?

mangablade
11-04-2006, 01:54 AM
^ well sweep picking goes both ways, raking is just upstrokes.

i dont see a bad thing about it, as with sweep picking, its more economical to save hand motions.

Face The Slayer
11-04-2006, 02:10 AM
You can't really play more than one note on each string though, with raking.

Niff
11-04-2006, 03:51 AM
I rake with short ones, like Seek and Destroy:

G|-----7h8p7--------------------5----|
D|---------------7h8p7--------5--7--|
A|-0-0--------0---------0-8-7--7----|
E|--------------------------------------|

mangablade
11-04-2006, 12:46 PM
You can't really play more than one note on each string though, with raking.

thats why i would just rake if theres one note per string for a riff / lick etc.