SLASH distortion pedal?

PDA

View Full Version : SLASH distortion pedal?

invincibleneo
11-05-2006, 03:45 AM
Im looking for a cheap and good distortion pedal which gets my tone close to SLASH. Please dont suggest the SLASH signature pedal because it isnt cheap. Max. $50.

darthbuttchin
11-05-2006, 03:50 AM
My total guitar magazine recommends to buy a danelectro fab distortion. However to get a proper slash sound, you need a guitar with humbuckers.
oh and you oughtta use the search function really, because i swear someone starts a thread about getting slash's tone evry day or so.

Ambulance X
11-05-2006, 03:57 AM
God dammit, why do so many n00bs have to ask about how to get so and so's tone with a distortion pedal when they USE AN ALL-TUBE AMP.

Solution: Buy a Marshall Silver Jubilee or JCM Slash.

ZombieModeRocks
11-05-2006, 04:25 AM
you can never get any slash tone out of a digital ( cheap ) pedal. and i'm tired of this kind of ****. i wanna sound like who and like who with $2.00 in the wallet. wtfiw

The_0thersid3
11-05-2006, 04:31 AM
surely, if it was possible to get a slash sound out of a pedal slash would use that pedal instead of spending all that money on all that gear??

secondly which era of slashs playing are you refering to? his tone has changed over the years even if there was such a thing to sound like him which era of his playing would it be refering to.

i suggest a boss blues driveri think that can get a smiliar sound but seriously you have to get a tube amp before you can get close to any of these guys awsome tone, but if your not rich then i recomend the line 6 pods because magazines like total guitar use them to get loads of peoples sounds.

darthbuttchin
11-05-2006, 04:44 AM
why dont people spend money on pedals etc to get their own sound? Surely if you get on stage and have your own sound, you are gonna be more respected than getting up and playing every song, including originals with the same sound as a well known rockstar. If Slash's Tone is a tone that you like, then hone your tone towards it, dont replicate it. Just my two cents there. I know id rather be myself than a Slash wannabe.

That_Pink_Queen
11-05-2006, 05:53 AM
I can get a Slash tone out of a pedal I built(it sounds so Slashey I drew a top hat on it and named it slash in a box, lol), but I haven't been able to get it out of anything purchasable(pedals that is). I have nice amps, don't really want my pedal anymore. Yours for 70 bucks.

Not to advertise or anything...

Pretty much all you can get for that price is a DS1 and the Dano pedals, none of which will get you where you want.

dertjoe
11-05-2006, 08:25 AM
some kids dont have money for a tube amp dude, i mean i remember countless hours of my teens getting the van halen tone, or the metallica tone, i would agree the blues driver would be a solid choice to get a tone close to slashs on a budget, dont look at Dan Electro cheaply built and prone to breaking, if you had more money id say a MXR DoubleShot or a Rocktron or Line6 pedal of somekind but the Blues Driver seems to be the best bet

Ambulance X
11-05-2006, 10:26 AM
some kids dont have money for a tube amp dude, i mean i remember countless hours of my teens getting the van halen tone, or the metallica tone, i would agree the blues driver would be a solid choice to get a tone close to slashs on a budget, dont look at Dan Electro cheaply built and prone to breaking, if you had more money id say a MXR DoubleShot or a Rocktron or Line6 pedal of somekind but the Blues Driver seems to be the best bet

Well boo ****in' hoo if you can't afford a tube amp. If you want good tone, you're gonna have to pay top dollar. You're not gonna be getting Slash's tone with a Line 6 Spider II (I dunno what the guy has) and a Boss DS-1. And I also agree with whoever said that you should hone your own tone. Personally, I'm building my rig loosely based on Thomas Erak of the Fall of Troy's rig, but I'm going beyond his rig and making my own. There's nothing worse than stepping on stage and sounding exactly like another person.

Gabel
11-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Well a thundercheif or BSIAB would get yo clsoe, but those are alot more.

dertjoe
11-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Well boo ****in' hoo if you can't afford a tube amp. If you want good tone, you're gonna have to pay top dollar. You're not gonna be getting Slash's tone with a Line 6 Spider II (I dunno what the guy has) and a Boss DS-1. And I also agree with whoever said that you should hone your own tone. Personally, I'm building my rig loosely based on Thomas Erak of the Fall of Troy's rig, but I'm going beyond his rig and making my own. There's nothing worse than stepping on stage and sounding exactly like another person.

hes pry a young kid so i doubt hes gonna step on stage anytime soon man, he most likely wants to play GNR to improve his skills and you kinda want the same tone to play the songs properly, i mean when i was 15 SS wasnt really out there so i had a JCM800 combo, but nowadays SS is everywhere so your first amp will pry be SS, and then you get a part time job when you get better and work your ass off for a decent amp or guitar

invincibleneo
11-05-2006, 03:25 PM
You guys are so heavily JUDGEMENTAL!!!!!

All I asked for was help with buying a freakin pedal!!

Ok look I do have fair amount of knowdge in guitars and amps, but thats about it. I do know I need a Tube amp for that tone. Im planning on buying VOX AD30VT.

But the reason for this thread is for me to get a GOOD distortion pedal, and for guideline I mentioned: SLASH!! Y'all slashed me for that!! :gun: I did that cause I know there are million distortion pedal. There are probably more pedals than humans out there! So I wanted to make it easier.

Isnt $50 dollars enough?

And I do agree that I should have my own sound. But you guys are WRONG. The personalised sound comes from my personal style of playing. How I use the vibrato, bends, legato. Thats how MY style will be identifyied. I like his tone and want to use that as a bench mark.

Also DONT agree with the dude who says his tone has changed over the years. Because if u hear his solos in the G n'R era they're quite similar to the tone Fallen to pieces. His solo tone hasnt changed much. With Velvet hes just playing a lot heavier.

SamDking
11-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeh, there's nothing worse than stepping on stage and sounding exactly like another person. :rolleyes:

How about not being able to play? Your playing is always the overiding factor when performing. Not your tone. You could have the same tone as Slash but a completely different playing style and I bet not one person in the crowd would say, "That guy sucks, he's got the same tone as Slash".

[/rant]

invincibleneo
11-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Hey this guy made my point exactly wid me!! KUDOS!! :headbang:

Untitled001
11-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Im looking for a cheap and good distortion pedal which gets my tone close to SLASH. Please dont suggest the SLASH signature pedal because it isnt cheap. Max. $50.

$50 should get you the Silver Jubilee he used :p:

AC/zeppelin/DC
11-05-2006, 04:59 PM
I dont know if you would need a distortion pedal to get slashes tone...I have the 30 watt Vox Valvetronix, and I found the perfect Slash tone...the settings are all on valvetronix.net, it sounds amazing.

davedoom
11-05-2006, 05:08 PM
God dammit, why do so many n00bs have to ask about how to get so and so's tone with a distortion pedal when they USE AN ALL-TUBE AMP.

Solution: Buy a Marshall Silver Jubilee or JCM Slash.

there should be a warning like yours all over this site, guys like this are really startin to grind my gears.

common sense really, does Slash use a distortion pedal? NO!

So why would you think theres one invented? Everyone would have one then and everyone would sound like Slash. :rolleyes:

Idiots - ok, rant over :peace:

That_Pink_Queen
11-05-2006, 06:55 PM
That Vox you want isn't a tube amp, just to let you know. It has a tube, but it's not a tube amp.

kurdtkobaign
11-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Wow...what a bunch of imature little kids we have here (save for dertjoe, samdking, and pink lol). Stop cuttin the kid down cause he wants someones tone. Ambulance..dude...you bash the kid then you confess youre building a rig based on Thomas's from TFOT (Who Ive seen about 20 times live, and TBH his tone isnt spectacular live. Ive actually talked to the guy every time Ive gone and seen him and he himself said hes never happy with his tone but its not important. What IS important is how well he plays)..

Ambulance X
11-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Wow...what a bunch of imature little kids we have here (save for dertjoe, samdking, and pink lol). Stop cuttin the kid down cause he wants someones tone. Ambulance..dude...you bash the kid then you confess youre building a rig based on Thomas's from TFOT (Who Ive seen about 20 times live, and TBH his tone isnt spectacular live. Ive actually talked to the guy every time Ive gone and seen him and he himself said hes never happy with his tone but its not important. What IS important is how well he plays)..

I'm very loosely basing it on Thom's. I'm hoping for an AD30 in the future and I'm considering a Dual Recto or a 5150 at the moment. If I were to get the AD30, I'd probably use it for my rhythm and cleans. I really want a 5150, but since I use cleans, that really keeps me from wanting to buy it. I've been considering just buying a JCM900 to AB with it.

Metallica32791
11-05-2006, 09:26 PM
ill sell ya a 5150

AC/zeppelin/DC
11-05-2006, 10:05 PM
How much? Combo or head?

Metallica32791
11-05-2006, 10:10 PM
head

Metallica32791
11-05-2006, 10:10 PM
im lookin like 580..shipped

invincibleneo
11-06-2006, 02:07 AM
dude go make another thread for ur trade-off ****.

Ok so SLASH doesnt use a distortion pedal??????? Thats like a huge surprise for me. If u hear Welcome to the jungle I clearly hear some like a Overdrive or distortion with delay. Even in Live and Let die, Aint it fun. Does November Rain have a distortion in solo?

See I know I cant get a exact tone for any amount of money. But I just want to be close! Im not foolish to ask for the EXACT tone in that price. But on those lines and goals.

If u guys are imply that his core tone is because of a amp, can u guys suggest a decent distortion pedal. Cause Im also interested in other genres like Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Aerosmith, Jet, etc

Ambulance X
11-06-2006, 02:12 AM
dude go make another thread for ur trade-off ****.

Ok so SLASH doesnt use a distortion pedal??????? Thats like a huge surprise for me. If u hear Welcome to the jungle I clearly hear some like a Overdrive or distortion with delay. Even in Live and Let die, Aint it fun. Does November Rain have a distortion in solo?

See I know I cant get a exact tone for any amount of money. But I just want to be close! Im not foolish to ask for the EXACT tone in that price. But on those lines and goals.

If u guys are imply that his core tone is because of a amp, can u guys suggest a decent distortion pedal. Cause Im also interested in other genres like Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Aerosmith, Jet, etc

Overdrive and distortion are two completely different things. OD drives the tubes into distortion and distortion is just... distortion. I can't even describe it. It's drive in a box. And if that's "distortion" you're hearing, it's probably an OD, which works only with tube amps.

kurdtkobaign
11-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Boss DS-1.

dertjoe
11-06-2006, 05:36 AM
there should be a warning like yours all over this site, guys like this are really startin to grind my gears.

common sense really, does Slash use a distortion pedal? NO!

So why would you think theres one invented? Everyone would have one then and everyone would sound like Slash. :rolleyes:

Idiots - ok, rant over :peace:

to be fair clapton never used a distortion pedal yet they have a pedal based on his tone, same thing with scott ian, and dan from disturbed, they can make a pedal to sound like anyone

The_0thersid3
11-06-2006, 05:41 AM
boss blues driver is your best bet and when you can afford a tube amp the blues driver will get you some sweet sounds as well.

kurdtkobaign
11-06-2006, 05:44 AM
^ which is the most retarded thing evar, IMO (to dertjoe). The Weapon used to be like $149?!?! Putting someones name on it is just an excuse to sell a sub-par pedal for 10x its worth.

invincibleneo
11-06-2006, 06:04 AM
Boss Blues driver models the tone correctly?

BTW can y'all be kind enuf to xplain to me why the VOX AD30VT has a tube but isnt a tube amp???

xifr
11-06-2006, 08:17 AM
It has distortion, but not a distortion pedal. There isn't just one type of distortion and that's it. A distortion pedal is not a magic box that goes BOOM instant good tone.

What amp do you currently have? You'd be better off trying to mimic Slash's eq settings in order to get the tone. I've found that EQ is the most important thing next to your playing, especially live. While you won't get the gain voicing, it'll still sound close enough.

BTW can y'all be kind enuf to xplain to me why the VOX AD30VT has a tube but isnt a tube amp???
Amps consist of two sections, a pre amp, which models the tone, and a poweramp, which amplifies it. In a tube amp, each of these sections have 4 or so tubes. In a hybrid amp such as the vox ADVT, they just have one tube, replacing the others for solid state transistors. In reality it's just marketing hype, so they can confuse people like you and others who do not have experience in buying amps.

invincibleneo
11-06-2006, 08:46 AM
But I got recomendations for that amp from jenny and dave. I ought to believe they're better than most arnd here........confused now.

I dont really have an alternate to the VOX ADVT. For that price I cant get an all tube amp can I?

jj1565
11-06-2006, 09:21 AM
for the price the hybrid vox moddler is probably the (one of) best amp u can get.

if u can find a small ibanez tube amp or maybe put together a 5 W epi tube then fine, but ud still have to buy a pedal to drive them to the tone u want.

he's not saying the vox is crap, he's saying that its not a tube amp, its a "hybrid"

maybe u could find a used blues junior for around $300, but even then ud need another hundred for pedals.

dertjoe
11-06-2006, 11:24 AM
^ which is the most retarded thing evar, IMO (to dertjoe). The Weapon used to be like $149?!?! Putting someones name on it is just an excuse to sell a sub-par pedal for 10x its worth.

im not saying their priced well at all im just stating a pedal can be made to sound like anyone, emulation has come along way, sure your not gonna get that awesome tube break up or great warmth but you will get a tone that will at least help you get a heros tone to practice their songs and hopefully pickup some techniques, honestly i think alot of sig pedals are outrageously overpriced but kids by them like candy so of course their gonna keep being produced

kurdtkobaign
11-06-2006, 04:07 PM
im not saying their priced well at all im just stating a pedal can be made to sound like anyone, emulation has come along way, sure your not gonna get that awesome tube break up or great warmth but you will get a tone that will at least help you get a heros tone to practice their songs and hopefully pickup some techniques, honestly i think alot of sig pedals are outrageously overpriced but kids by them like candy so of course their gonna keep being produced
lol I know. I was agreeing with you 100%. :cheers:

invincibleneo
11-06-2006, 04:12 PM
How can sig. pedals b overated?? Or overpriced. I guess they deliver what they promise. John Frusciante has used Jimi Hendrix Pedal almost on every song in stadium arcadium.

Source: Total Guitar Summer 2006 Issue

xifr
11-06-2006, 06:45 PM
How can sig. pedals b overated?? Or overpriced. I guess they deliver what they promise. John Frusciante has used Jimi Hendrix Pedal almost on every song in stadium arcadium.

Source: Total Guitar Summer 2006 Issue
What I think is that you need a bit more experience. I'd say just get a distortion pedal so that you know what they're capable of and what they're not. You cannot substitute an amp for a distortion pedal. Period. Even something like the Soldano Supercharger will not sound the same as a Soldano amp. Something like the Hendrix pedal might get passably close with the right eqing, but it won't sound the same as a Marshall Plexi stack. I repeat what I said earlier, distortion pedals are not a magic box.

kurdtkobaign
11-06-2006, 06:48 PM
^ Dude the Soldano Supercharger + a Hot Rod 50+ = cream in teh pant13s. lol

xifr
11-06-2006, 07:02 PM
^ Dude the Soldano Supercharger + a Hot Rod 50+ = cream in teh pant13s. lol
That's because you're pairing up the Soldano Supercharger with a Soldano amp :rolleyes: ;)

kurdtkobaign
11-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Exactly! lol

xifr
11-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Exactly! lol
If not kinda pointless... a Soldano has all the gain you need and a Supercharger is mega expensive. ;) :p:

kurdtkobaign
11-06-2006, 09:20 PM
If not kinda pointless... a Soldano has all the gain you need and a Supercharger is mega expensive. ;) :p:
Yeah. A guy in a local band (www.myspace.com/schoolyardheroes) has a Soldano Hot Rod, which is single channel. He plugs into the Low input for a nice, smooth crunch...he also uses the volume on his guitar for cleans. And when he goes into that searing high gain tone he boosts the amp with the Supercharger and BAM...heaven. To my ears anyways...

invincibleneo
11-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Hmm I thgt I was listening to a already established and respected guitarist! Im mean like he said it so it might be really good. But your making a point too. I do need experience but its not easy ya know! I live in INDIA!! I have **** out here. Really sad stuff. Some crap Laneys, MG's, Stranger, and one local company. Thats about it! Its sad, i cant even try out different equipment and gain knowledge. I get so jealous of u guys.

kurdtkobaign
11-07-2006, 04:10 AM
Hmm I thgt I was listening to a already established and respected guitarist! Im mean like he said it so it might be really good. But your making a point too.
:confused:

slingshotmb
11-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Mt-2

SamDking
11-07-2006, 01:54 PM
^ Lol

invincibleneo
11-07-2006, 02:33 PM
I was refering to John Fursciante talking about the Jimi Hendrix Pedal.

Metalcomesfirst
10-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Mt-2

:golfclap: this is me clapping for your excellent opinion

ECistheBest
10-06-2007, 11:22 PM
i hate it when two words get together in one thread.

"cheap" and "pedal".

result is absolute ****.

muffinman123192
10-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Danelectro Fish N' Chips is an exception. $29 for a nice EQ. Not obviously like an MXR but still...