Fender mexican strat vs. Fender american start?

PDA

View Full Version : Fender mexican strat vs. Fender american start?

oha
11-10-2006, 10:24 AM
im going to buy a new guitar and Im almost sure that i will buy a Fender stratocaster..
and i went to the shop and he showed me an american one and a mexican one...I asked him what is the difrrence (except that the american costs about 1000 Isreali shekels) and i couldn't get an understandable answer..
so can anbody tell me the diffrence?and is it realy worth to pay more for the american strat?

thanks

GuitarBoy-IL
11-10-2006, 10:30 AM
hi dude, im from Israel too. the americna strat costs 6500 sheqels. if you buy it it from th US you can get it in about 850$, that's about 3500 sheqels. it's way better than the mexi, the mexis are horrible, not assembeld well. go and try it out.

mrbreeze
11-10-2006, 10:31 AM
the cost of American labor adds to the price of the American version. Plus, more care will be put into the intrinsics like finish, set-up, etc. Quality control may or may not be an issue with the Mexicans, as with all guitars, you should look it over good before you take it home. Make sure there is nothing wrong with it that a reputable luthier can't adjust for you.

The quality of the wood may not be as good as in the American counterpart, but you would need an occilloscope to measure any difference. Others think the electronics are weak, but I attribute at least a little of this perspective to personal preference. I own three Mexicans, all are different, but I love them all the same. For what I paid for them, I could only have purchased ONE American (which I will someday add to my collection)

7PlaGues
11-10-2006, 10:32 AM
amer strats use better wiring harnesses, jacks, pots, necks, pickups, the whole nine yards. better woods, hardware, etc etc..the list goes on and on.

JJK
11-10-2006, 10:33 AM
American Strats have better:

Tuners
Wood
Pickups
Tremolo and Bridge
Necks
Bodies

Basically everything is better in a US Strat. It's really worth the extra $600.

GuitarBoy-IL
11-10-2006, 10:34 AM
oh, and the neck on the MIA feels way better than the MIM imho

delizio37
11-10-2006, 10:42 AM
i have a mexi strat and quite honestly i know the quality isnt as good as an american strat, but i just changed the pickups to the " fender hot noiseless" and it sounds like night and day. if i were you i would get a mexi and just put new pickups in it ...it sounds sooo much better

hendrixmusicman
11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
dont buy a mexican one. its about as bad as buying an israeli one. you might as well go put a indonesian kid in a crate with the parts you need to make the guitar and tell him he's not getting out till he puts them together, because mexican standards suck. Now, other mexican fenders like the jaguar and other stuff thats not standard doesn't suck, but don't buy a standard mexican.

JJK
11-10-2006, 10:47 AM
dont buy a mexican one. its about as bad as buying an israeli one. you might as well go put a indonesian kid in a crate with the parts you need to make the guitar and tell him he's not getting out till he puts them together, because mexican standards suck. Now, other mexican fenders like the jaguar and other stuff thats not standard doesn't suck, but don't buy a standard mexican.

Oh c'mon, they aren't THAT bad. They're not as good as US Strats but they aren't garbage by any means. If you want crap get a Squier.

GuitarBoy-IL
11-10-2006, 10:50 AM
have you ever played an Israeli guitar? I played a Jerusalem guitar, classical, was amazing. we also have Budagov, it's made in china, but Israeli designed by one of the best guitarists in Israel - Shmulik Budagov.

oha
11-10-2006, 10:56 AM
ok i think i got the difrrences...thanks

red star
11-10-2006, 11:18 AM

dam dude there is no way in hell they're as bad as this guy describes them. if you play the MIMs at guitar center, they play like crap becasue they dont set them up. american one definantly are better but mexis dont suck

HendrixII
11-10-2006, 11:26 AM
american all the way

mrbreeze
11-10-2006, 11:53 AM
If you have the money, buy American. But I'd defy any of you to be able to judge the difference between the materials, tuners, most of the hardware etc., in a side-by-side test. The workmanship MIGHT be an issue, due in part to the mass production, get-'em-in-the-store philosophy. The stock pick-ups might not be suitable for the tastes of some/many people, but ar far from "junk". However, the same could be said of the stock pick-ups on the American Fenders. As I said before, I own three of them, none are falling apart, all stay in tune, intonate correctly, play easily, look and sound nice - if I played them for you while you were blindfolded, you'd never know whether it was an American or Mexican.

This_Kidd
11-10-2006, 12:01 PM
This thread is filled with complete bull****. American strats are better than mexicans yes, but mexicans are still great value and one of the best guitars for the money. If you have enough money for the american, and you feel that you need to spend that much money on a guitar, then by all means get it. But if you think that you don't really need the american, I'd say to buy a mexican, they are still superb guitars. Maybe if you want to go inbetween you could either get amore expensive mexican like the 60th anniversary, deluxe players strat etc. or a cheaper American like the highway 1's.

Sorry about the length of that but with people talking bollocks about mexican strats being total ****e I just felt compelled to get my point across.

P.S. Whatever you decide to get, make sure you play it first and check it over, as although you're more likely to find fault on a Mexican strat, there's a chance there will be faults on an American.

urik
11-10-2006, 12:10 PM
ahi you can buy HW1 strat for 5000 shekels. and if you for any coincidence, study guitar in kley zemer in ashdod, then you get a 20% discount. go with a HW1 american strat if you cant but the STD or DELUXE one. But don't go for a mexican. americans are much better
and by the way, tithadesh in advance ;-)

Joranges
11-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Amen to what This_Kidd wrote.

Honestly if you're buying one either online or "blindly" in a shop; either way you're probably going to end up with a ****ty quality guitar.

I've had my shares of buying Fenders and it doesn't matter if it's American or Mexican, there are always a few that slip away and are of worse quality. Except, most of these problems are usually fixable - I like to get my guy to setup my guitars immedately after purchase anyways. So as far as I know, I haven't seen a single (stock) Fender with badly polish frets, twisted necks, improper wiring for the electronics, etc.

What you do see/hear people always moaning about is that "oh the action sucks" or "the neck doesn't feel right" or "the finish on the body wasn't shiney enough", etc, etc.

Anyways, to actual factual things you could actually consider..
*The body woods are generally the same - Alder or Ash.
*The necks are generall the same - Maple, bolt on.
*The fretboard are generally the same - Rosewood on Maple or One piece Maple.
*The number of frets on an American and Mexican is different - American has 22 frets, Mexican has 21. Not that big of a deal to me really.
*The hardware on a Mexican & American are different - the Mexican ones are more prone to rusting since they're not stainless steel.
*The tuners are physically different - people claim that the Mexican ones suck and cause your guitar to be out of tune 24/7, I beg to differ.
*Pickups are different - the Mexican ones are cheaper/worse sounding. Then again the stock American ones aren't much better.

That's all the ones I can name - but go to the Fender site and download their manual; its that booklet that comes with the guitar when it's new. It pretty much tells you exactly what the differences are.

--Edit:
Personally, I'd take a standard Mexican over an American Highway (the older ones anyways - they released a new model a few months ago) anyday.

The American Highway has a really really really ****ty finish.

pugnapugnapugna
11-10-2006, 12:14 PM
What This_Kidd is saying is absolutely true. Some guitars are just lemons. You can play two different mexican strats and they could be completely different. Same goes with american, but not as much since the quality control is better on american guitars.

My advice would be to save yourself some money and go mexican. Just shop around for a while and find the very best you can. Then you can improve it with better hardware, pickups, pots, you name it, while saving yourself some money.

fronkpies
11-10-2006, 12:18 PM

You have never played a mexi have you?

Dont say you have, because if you had you would know you can get really good ones.

This_Kidd
11-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah for the people who say the tuners on Mexicans suck, on my 60th anniversary mexi strat I have to check tuning about once every two days, and if a couple of the strings are out, theyre usually only out by 1 or 2 of the increments on my tuner. Although the 60th anniversary mexi strat may have upgraded tuners on it, I'm not sure.

Edit: Hey I've got a question, it is relevant to the thread aswell, but also it's a good question for me to ask too :p: .

The 60th anniversary mexi strat comes with 3 tex mex pickups, how do these compare to the stock pickups on mexican strats and the stock pickups on american strats? Also would it be a good idea to switch them out or are they good enough?

chimera2510
11-12-2006, 03:30 AM
Hey if any of u guys have an american fender stratocaster, could u plz get me hte dimensions for the fender logo on the head

THX

:) :) :)

Sceptile_Master
11-12-2006, 07:29 AM
I tried both a mexican and usa one. The mexican was still a good guitar but the tuners didn't seem to have the same quality and sound wasn't as defined and well straty. Nice guitar still though. They both played pretty nice. I left with the usa one though.

R_H_C_P
11-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Search, dammit.

And you can get amazing Mexican Strats, I got one and it stands up to a MIA Strat anyday.

paintITblack39
11-12-2006, 10:03 AM
You have never played a mexi have you?

Dont say you have, because if you had you would know you can get really good ones.
Yep, some Mexicans can be a gem and live up to American standards.

EDIT:
This statement sounds like a political affair :haha

Night Revolver
11-12-2006, 10:10 AM
mex strats are fine - change the pickups and get a nice setup and you're pretty much set.

red star
11-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Search, dammit.

And you can get amazing Mexican Strats, I got one and it stands up to a MIA Strat anyday.

yeah man my mexi plays awesome too. it plays (to me) just a nicely as any of the americans i played at the store. the tone isnt as good as the americans but thats because of the cheap stock pickups which i plan on replacing with lace sensors this christmas