4 part eerie acoustic song [gp5/midi]

PDA

View Full Version : 4 part eerie acoustic song [gp5/midi]

§tratocaster
11-11-2006, 09:49 PM
:dance:
this is a song that i wrote in about 2 days (only a couple of hours total) based on the chords of a nick drake song.
enjoy! :D

here is an mp3 version of the song (http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/15/133115/music/song.mp3) , run through gp5's RSE, and then through DFX audio enhancement. its not entirely up-to-date with what ive changed, but i think ive really only changed the ending so the rest should be correct.

below is the updated gp5 and midi files.

Snipy
11-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Nice start I love it, keep up the good work.
Reminds me Western Films :D

§tratocaster
11-12-2006, 11:35 AM
yeah i couldn't really classify it so i just said eerie lol. thanks for the crit.

ShadowintheSun
11-12-2006, 04:56 PM
That is really good, mate. U need to finish it then post it!

ShadowintheSun
11-12-2006, 05:45 PM
That is soooo good. It reminds me of the Zelda games i used to play yrs ago. Really nice and calming, good job, 9.5/10.

P.S i have midi on my songs now. Can u crit them (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462170)?

§tratocaster
11-12-2006, 07:30 PM
^ LOZ OOT FTW!!!

anyway, yeah the triplets remind me of some part in the gerudo valley song. maybe i should have called the title "crazy flamenco video game coolness on acoustic"

varga88
11-15-2006, 06:54 PM
haha yeah this is really really nice,!

Sarcasmo
11-16-2006, 02:40 AM
very awesome. its my preference to distort the lead guitar though. i think maybe ill learn it. Now that people have mentioned it, it does seem to remind me of zelda or something along those lines.

mine
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459518

GiantRaven
11-16-2006, 03:30 PM
The lead guitar + chord + arpeggio sounds very nice :D

The Bass could be improved a lot though

I didn't like the ending, it didn't really work very well

Crit me? (link in sig)

§tratocaster
11-19-2006, 07:01 PM
sarcasmo: first off thanks. i considered adding distortion but couldn't decide where so i left it out.

giant raven: I did change the ending because i agree it didn't work at all... i think its sounds good now though. and yes the bass is really lame. ill try to work on that over thanksgiving break maybe. thank you as well.

Nunwhxre 666
11-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Well, I'm not big on acoustic songs. But, this is REALLY good. One of the better peices on here. Good to see not everyone on here sucks and writing music. Lol. I really liked the leads. And I could definitely see this in a Zelda game. Lol. The only thing, like stated before, is the bass is pretty weak. Other than that this is an amazing song. 9/10.

Crit mine? The folk song is complete. And there are 2 other songs in sig.

RedDeath9
11-19-2006, 08:41 PM
I liked it a lot. It kind of reminds me of Zelda... I wouldn't really change anything, it was all really good. The only thing that I didn't think was the tapping part, but it was still good. 9.5/10.

Hawker45
11-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Hey i really like this, way better than what i could ever do, keep it up.

Notorious Nessy
11-20-2006, 05:54 AM
dude!!!!! that was utterly amazing!!!! the guitar solo thing was really skilled....you've practised well, id like to get a copy of your song, when are you getting it out? im a true guitar fan and you're great... keep it up!!!! (",)

§tratocaster
11-20-2006, 07:02 PM
ty to all of you.

notorious nessy: i don't know if ill be able to record this one... it really needs acoustic guitars and i don't have a way to record mine since it doesn't have an output thing.
but ty for the compiments all.

gregorisgod
11-20-2006, 11:32 PM
It's quite cool.

As has been said before, definately wouldn't sound out of place in a Zelda game (that could be taken either way, it's a compliment this time).

I like the use of a less common time signature, and the lead parts are fantastic with the Rhythm arpegios. The guitars compliment each other well.

EDIT: When the second lead guitar comes in, the sound is great, sounds very... complete. /Edit.

A bassist would kill you if you handed him that part though.:p:

And the drums... well, drumming is shite on GP to be honest, but it works.

Overall, I like it. And you've already crit my first thing, watch out for some more though?:p:

§tratocaster
11-20-2006, 11:36 PM
haha yeah ill def need to work on that. im no theory head though so i dont know how well it will work.

gregorisgod
11-20-2006, 11:48 PM
haha yeah ill def need to work on that. im no theory head though so i dont know how well it will work.

Join the club haha, I know scales, and keys etc from playing piano, but I find that knowing too much theory is limiting...

It's a lot easier to write bass lines with a bass obviously (I cheat and use my digitech whammy).:p:

Gibson06
11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
It's really good, almost like a classical piece. Is is supposed to be an instrumental? Anyways, its rally nice (other that those cymbals in the background... so annoying...) The solo is increadible. Very well done. 9/10 Thanks for the crit btw

§tratocaster
11-22-2006, 05:58 PM
well i think the ride-cymbal background thing will stay in...

anyway i turned the volume down on the arpeggio guitar during the tapping part because some notes sounded a little sketchy
and i started on the bass dilemma but i didn't post it yet.
[/post]

edit: [/page] as well :D

beadhangingOne
11-23-2006, 12:24 AM
this is sick dude

just one thing though, is this going to just be instruments or is it going to have vocals?

cuz i think u should make a different riff for the vox to be over (if there are any), that would be awesome

§tratocaster
11-24-2006, 12:06 PM
i think it'll be instrumental. thanks anyways though!

edit: i fixed the ending cymbals on the drum thing... not a big update but there were incomplete measures so i fixed it.

dontbestupid47
11-25-2006, 01:11 AM
you obviously know youor music cuz that song is amazing, the arpeggio guitar was well thought out

one thing i would do is bring some life into the bass, especially inbetween lead guitar 1's solos and the tapping part

but thats just me

good job and keep doin whatever your doin

siddyjain
11-27-2006, 04:31 AM
That was amazing :eek:

I can never play like that

§tratocaster
11-27-2006, 08:44 PM
well yeah i suck at life so i didn't get around to the bass problem....

thank you, minister of technology, for your royal, flawless, immaculate comment.[/suckup]

but good news! i might be able to record this after Christmas because i might get an acoustic pickup??? plz santa!!1eleven1!!!

siddyjain
12-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Are you a member of this UG republic thingo?

§tratocaster
12-01-2006, 06:47 PM
^haha i think i missed that day/week that it was made!? so no lol.

anyways...
i got rid of those text things above the tab in gp.

and i was thinking about adding another guitar so i can get a nice natural harmonic intro... i'd have to change the tuning alot though...we'll see what happens.

psychotim
12-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah that was sweet dude.
Kinda reminded me of megaman at some parts, and i love megaman.

siddyjain
12-09-2006, 02:47 AM
crit mne: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480856

§tratocaster
12-10-2006, 10:35 PM
^that link doesn't appear to be working.

[]

i added that intro...its just some random harmonics... make sure to tell me what you think on that because im not sure about it.

[]

siddyjain
12-11-2006, 05:00 AM
I deleted the thread - i'm gonna make some changes...will post it later in about a week coz I got my exams :D

mattvl
12-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Very cool, I'm not wishing I had guitar pro...I'll have to look into it. I really didn't see that piano coming at all, it adds amazing depth to the song. Whenever I can get my hands on guitar pro I'll have to give this one a few rounds on the guitar(s)...maybe even bringing out the keyboard (assuming that's what I'm hearing in the midi).

skaguitarist182
12-16-2006, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the crit man, and that song was beautiful! I have been meaning to write something of this style for a while, but never really got around to it, what type of scale do you use to achieve that flamenco style, the harmonic intro was a good add, it all came together beautiful, I give it a 9/10 good job!

§tratocaster
12-16-2006, 07:08 PM
mattvl: indeed that is a piano/keyboard doing the chord things at every measure. yeah i believe guitar pro has a much better layout than powertab and i would recommend getting a copy of it...legal or not.

skaguitarist: i have no idea what scale it is...i just kind of put the chords in guitar pro then played something along with it, then wrote it in if it sounded good. =]
yeah i think i like those harmonics as well.

thanks to both of you.

axe_grinder247
12-17-2006, 02:09 PM
it's pretty good, but i think that it gets a little too predictable because you end many of your phrases on a C# - but other than that it's good...it has potential to broaden into even something more...reminds me a bit of an epic dream theater intro

good job

§tratocaster
12-17-2006, 04:06 PM
interesting...

thanks for pointing that out. i didn't notice that at all until now.

PunkFan99
12-18-2006, 11:04 AM
that rocked. not my style but it was still really good. keep it up.

jimmmypage#1
12-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Ya, that wassssssssss pretty fine.
i had to listen to the midi file and yes first thing that came to mind was
zelda or something of that sort.
but when you look past that,
that song would sound awesome.
i really like the lead part.
9/10

you crit me i crit you
WOO!

§tratocaster
12-21-2006, 11:44 PM
thanks to both of you.

i made measure 21 a little more complex...(32nd notes ftw!!)

and measure 24 a little simpler...
it doesn't sound any simpler but it's easier to play

also the 2 measures before the tapping solo thing i changed... i think i like the way it turned out.

btw does anyone have any ideas on how i could
resolve those phrases without using C#?

the_captn_flint
12-23-2006, 01:17 AM
dude!
this is freakin' sexy! It does remind me of zelda, and some of that new age stuff you get in europe. Does anyone here know what I'm talking about???

Stobbeez
12-23-2006, 10:08 AM
The whole song was very cool, the only thing that sounded off to me was the harmonics at the beginning.. I'm not sure how to describe it.

Good job 8/10

RedDeath9
12-23-2006, 06:24 PM
:haha I find it rather funny that hthedinga posted his "Idle Wing" song in January 2006, and you posted this in November 2006. They have the same amount of replies, and this is probably gonna get a lot more.

§tratocaster
12-24-2006, 12:08 AM
captn flint: no i don't know what you are talking about

stobbeez:yeah i made the intro sound weird/out of key on purpose.

reddeath: :eek: ...... :cool:

but 14 of these posts are mine. :(
edit: 15 :D

Fatt Sorum
12-24-2006, 12:14 AM
Cool song, i love the little hammer/pull parts at the end of most bars in the intro.

I enjoyed the tapping section, well played out without being overly technical.

Ending wasn't much to my taste - I didn't really like the strummed chord ending, but the rest of the song was great.

Crit mine? (in sig)

Greenfinger182
01-02-2007, 07:30 PM
That's odd....my Guitar Pro 5 refuses to open it....

GrungePb
01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
this is so sick man, i would love to hear a real version of this.....LIVE

axe_grinder247
01-03-2007, 11:21 AM
well, might i suggest using pitch axis theory and perhaps changing the tonal center in a few parts to add some variety...you can read up on it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_Axis_Theory)

saddam
01-03-2007, 04:17 PM
that was pretty goddamn fantastic man! I am very impressed!

crit mine?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495467

RedDeath9
01-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Ok, I'm gonna crit the new version.

I don't know about that little intro part, with the harmonics, didn't really like it.

I still love the piano chords, and it feels like it's all building up to something... I still didn't really like the tapping part, it kind of ruined the build-up for me, and towards the end it starts to get kind of boring...

:haha But I still loved it.

§tratocaster
01-04-2007, 11:37 PM
well, might i suggest using pitch axis theory and perhaps changing the tonal center in a few parts to add some variety...you can read up on it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_Axis_Theory)

i feel really, really dumb reading that page.....:sad:

but im not sure what im looking for in there? i dont know what mode or anything im in because i dont know theory worth anything. but it does look like it could improve my song... im just not sure how.

EDIT: thank you saddam but... shouldn't you be dead?

...bad joke im sorry. :(

umm yeah
thanks to all who complimented
and to whoever said it won't open, i dont know why... try importing the midi.

saddam
01-05-2007, 09:05 AM
I don't get the joke :)

§tratocaster
01-05-2007, 10:15 PM
^ well uhh... saddam is kinda teh deadz0rz lol

i added some triplets to the bass during the tapping. also if you look at the piano part i put the chord names in the first four measures.

those are some pretty far out chords... :D

edit: ok, the bass thing sucked, so i changed it back

saddam
01-06-2007, 11:18 AM
heh i get it, bad joke indeed :D

§tratocaster
01-07-2007, 11:05 PM
if you have the time, make sure to check out the mp3 version here (http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/15/133115/music/song.mp3)

PinkIsCool
01-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Nice. That was really damn good. You obviously know what you're doing.

ctb
01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
That was so nice, so calming. Good job. :)

Albarranator
02-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Great song, I'm impressed. Keep on it man, you're a great musician!!

JadeFalcon5
02-16-2007, 08:50 PM
WOW
speechless

amazing composition,
mind if i use this to practice soloing over?

dang, i like it

The Powerslave
02-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks for critting my bass stuff, so here you go:-

I see what you are trying to do with the harmonics at the start, and although it leads into the intro well they dont sound very good to me. When everything comes in although the bass and piano are pretty simple they work together very well, so I'd probably keep them the way they are, as making them more complicated wouldnt really work in my opinion. The guitar bit is excellent. If we take it as a 4 bar pattern then I'd say bar 10 needs a little bit doing to it. At the minute it seems to take one beat too long to reach that high e? Try seeing if you can place in the 5th beat, as in bar 9. Currently to me it seems as though its waiting for it to come, and it sounds odd to me. On the whole the lead guitar is very good, although possibly turn it up a bit, or make it stand out more. From bar 45 onwards I'd probably make the bass do a bit more, as its a bit sparse currently. Its taken a bit of listening, but the two lead guitars do just about work together. At first they seemed to clash, but it doe snow seem to work well. As I think others have said the ending isnt bad, it just could be better. Cant really suggest how, but it could do improving. Overall though those were nitpicking comments, and it really is very good.

§tratocaster
02-20-2007, 06:58 PM
^which measure # are you talking about?

and i really have no clue...at all when it comes to bass. i know bass can really make a song sound great, but idk bass is hard.

and i can see what you mean about the ending, it isnt quite the best, but i dont want to just fade out, i want to have kind of a final chord thing.
ill think about some options.

Albarranator
06-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Impressive! And yeah it's sounds a little bit like the Zelda's game