Why are so many Shred guitarists seen as "tasteless"

PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many Shred guitarists seen as "tasteless"

bbqBBking
11-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Why the hell is it that players like Petrucci and Vai and constantly labeld as "wankers" and "tasteless" while guitarists such as Slash and Jimmy page are hailed as being so "emotional"? Ive been watching videos of so many of these "tasteful" players and I keep seeing them throwing out the most unimaginitve disgusting ****. Look at this video for example:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jp2S9FuCpEA

There is not one ****ing tasteful moment in this god damn solo, Slash basically spends his solo spot taking a shit. The whole time it seems like hes trying to play as fast as he can, but it just ends up sounding like ass. So its ok to totally sacrifice all musiciality to try to play fast, as long as you dont actually have a decent technique to do so? This video is only one example, but practially every classic rock guitarist goes into these type of moments, and nobody seems to notice. Yet when a player with good technique starts playing fast people will immediately dismiss it as wanking.

Im not saying that Vai or Petrucci dont have their moments of self indulgence, im saying that before you label them as tasteless wankers, realize that Slash, Page, and all these other players hailed as the kings of taste also have quite a few moments of jerking off. Why is that these players get so much leeway to jerk off while other guitarists labeled as "shredders" get dismissed as soon as they touch a guitar?

madpickin03
11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Mtv

diablomastabarb
11-13-2006, 10:20 PM
maybe people are so used to seeing crappy technique, they think it's good, and when given the opportunity to see proper technique, they've been exposed to the wrong technique for so long, they think it sucks lol

irockaflyingV
11-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Its the hair.

evening_crow
11-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Let me try to explain this...

"You're Gay!"

no...i'm just joking...in reality, i believe it's due to the fact that 'shredders' do nothing but play unusually fast. sure it's fine, but the speed does nothing but show what seems to be a lack of technique. i'm saying that playing really fast hides any possible technique (i say possible since i'm sure there's shredders who have good technique). basically, it's just a bunch of fast notes and nothing else, where as other players such as slash use technique.

i know it takes talent, but it sounds like a bunch of random notes smashed together at high speeds, rather than a well-constructed melody.

first_aid
11-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Thats why Dream Theater rocks out with its **** out. They can shred like a bunch of mofos but never sacrifices quality in the process. That is, if you like prog metal

Godly Moose
11-13-2006, 10:43 PM

"You're Gay!"

no...i'm just joking...in reality, i believe it's due to the fact that 'shredders' do nothing but play unusually fast. sure it's fine, but the speed does nothing but show what seems to be a lack of technique. i'm saying that playing really fast hides any possible technique (i say possible since i'm sure there's shredders who have good technique). basically, it's just a bunch of fast notes and nothing else, where as other players such as slash use technique.

i know it takes talent, but it sounds like a bunch of random notes smashed together at high speeds, rather than a well-constructed melody.

You seem to be an expert... please define technique will you? Also not everybody here thinks that the wikipedia definition of shred, is what "shred" really it is. They don't only play fast, just because they play at a high tempo that means that they're showing no technique what so ever? That statement is so ignorant that it's not funny. Also random notes? I would like to see any music out there that's just random notes. Also Slash probably has one of the most horrible technique out there. All he ever played was minor pentatonics. Your statements are lacking in any rational thought what so ever. Sorry, but you head must be so far up your ass that all you see is black.

PooKoo
11-13-2006, 10:50 PM
this entire thing is pointless. Reported.

If you want to rant about how people should respect shred, well, realize. People in the shred forum do, that's why it's the shred forum.
And at least, please, don't make a thread.
And please, at least, if you do, don't put a slash video in it.
And I like slash too.

Also, we don't need you to attract people here that know they don't belong here, for the soul purpose of flaming/arguing their one sided points, allowing us to argue back with slightly better grammar, thus making us think we're superior.
Resi? Where are you?

kshelt76
11-13-2006, 11:01 PM

"You're Gay!"

Number 1, IMO, it takes a hell of a lot more technique and talent to play something fast and have it sound good, than it does to play four notes a second. A two year old monkey could play four NPS, but playing 20 NPS, well that's not so easy. And if you think it sounds like crap, go get some Steve Vai and tell me that there's no well-constructed melodies in his music. Listen to Window to the Soul or Boston Rain Melody and tell me he doesn't know how to write well-constructed melodies.

Threadstarter, more than likely, the reason why shredders get a bad name is because of jealousy. A lot of people sit around and say, well, I can't play like Steve Vai, or Yngwie Malmsteen, or Joe Satriani, or Petrucci, etc, etc, so they decide to rationalize with themselves. By saying that those guys are just a bunch of "wankers" who play really fast, but don't have any rhyme, reason, or emotion behind their playing, the person makes themself feel better for having a lower talent level. It's the same as the people who have sigs on here and such that say, "I refuse to shred." Shredding means that one is technically proficient at playing their said instrument. Now, for whatever reason you began to play the guitar, what person in their right mind wouldn't want to be as good as possible at their instrument. No one would, but those people tell themselves that it doesn't take talent or technique to shred, so that they can feel better about not being able to.

Shredders also get a bad name because of crap like "Eruption" that everyone goes crazy over. It's solos like that one that people hear, they say, "That's shred? That's just stupid crap", and decide to hate shred forever.

Another thing, you want to know why Slash is so well loved, and Vai isn't. It's because Slash played for a mainstream rock band(G'n'R) so his music is much more well known. On the other hand, Vai isn't as well known amongst people(usually only guitarists know of him) so there are a lot of people who don't know who he is, and thus think that he must not be a very good musician, or else they would have heard of him already.

bbqBBking
11-13-2006, 11:11 PM
this entire thing is pointless. Reported.

If you want to rant about how people should respect shred, well, realize. People in the shred forum do, that's why it's the shred forum.
And at least, please, don't make a thread.
And please, at least, if you do, don't put a slash video in it.
And I like slash too.

Also, we don't need you to attract people here that know they don't belong here, for the soul purpose of flaming/arguing their one sided points, allowing us to argue back with slightly better grammar, thus making us think we're superior.
Resi? Where are you?

Stop being a dick. Why wouldnt I put a Slash video in it, it was a great example of what I was talking about. Sticking up for shred in the shred for, how inappropriate. What was I thinking?

What if somone who "doesnt belong here" came in with an attitude against shred and read the post and decided to be a bit more open minded. Why do you just assume everyones points will be one sided, and that there cant be a decent discussion of the subject? Seriously though, why the **** do you have to be so mean? I didnt do anything wrong, this post fits this forum fine, chill out.