Malmsteen

PDA

View Full Version : Malmsteen

sheumack111
11-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Saw him last nite.....

Dear god the man still has it........ His band rocks aswell..... Not that you really notice them too much.... Douggie White is an awesome singer, and we all know how Derek Sherinan is on keys...... Best concert i will ever see id say......

They did some hendrix stuff like red house aswell as a cover of Rainbows "Gates of Babylon" which was one of the highlites....

They played my fave Yngwie song aswell.. "I am a viking"

Anyway if your considering going 2 a Yngwie concert i highly recomend it.... Hes an amazing performer aswell as guitarist!!!

Klondikekat
11-15-2006, 07:29 PM
The guy gets slated too often for wanking. He's not the most emotional or melodic of the lot, but he's the pride of the genre! And yes, terribly entertaining to watch. What a backing band!

sheumack111
11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
The guy gets slated too often for wanking. He's not the most emotional or melodic of the lot, but he's the pride of the genre! And yes, terribly entertaining to watch. What a backing band!

I find him one of the most melodic of all the shredders... but thats just be...... God his band rocks..... The drummer did an insane solo aswell

backtothe70s
well he do is great doing his thing, but to me he feels arrogant.

like "ok so now I played the theme once, lets do a 5minutes long solo so i can show of with my awsome skills"

gwitersnamps
he's the pride of the genre!
Tallest pygmy in camp.

ferretman
11-15-2006, 11:00 PM
I didn't know that sherinian was on the keys, thats pretty cool.
People slam Malmsteens live perfomances all the time because he jumps around alot and throws picks into the crowd. But I love watching him. Its cool how much he gets into it. And yeah sure he is arrogant but that just makes you love him even more.

sheumack111
11-15-2006, 11:43 PM
I didn't know that sherinian was on the keys, thats pretty cool.
People slam Malmsteens live perfomances all the time because he jumps around alot and throws picks into the crowd. But I love watching him. Its cool how much he gets into it. And yeah sure he is arrogant but that just makes you love him even more.

I cannot agree with you more...... I would much rahter see him charging round the stage full of excitement then watch Petrucci stand in the one spot looking at his guitar not even moving or aknowledging the crowd....... **** who cares if hes arrogant.... Alot of people in this world are, he has an excuse (if there is such a thing) hes one of the greatest guitarists ever.... A virtuoso....

Cheesepuff
11-16-2006, 06:16 AM
Malmsteen's pretty good but there are better you know guys... and I don't consider him the pride of shred(which should be either becker,gilbert,petrucci, or vai), he's just one of the most awesome ones.

xtopher_aaron
11-16-2006, 07:38 AM
to all who flame Yngwie, id love to see you guys pull of stuff like that, let alone create that music. Many people flame him for not 'feeling' it on stage, but trust me, the mans a genius. Maybe its because he comes from a Classical background, that some people might not understand or appreciate, but for those of you who do appreciate classical music, and like rock just as well, you will love Yngwie, he blends the two so well. In my opinion, hes the top dog when it comes to shredding with magnificent melodies, awesomely masterclass, just listen to Magnum Opus, you'll see, its no mindless wanking, its awesome melodic MUSIC, not noise, i assure you, but hey thats me, maybe you prefer Hip Hop or something, but hey, whateva turns ya on mates!!

~1954~
11-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Hes definently the best at what He does- that is Neo- classical rock music... its just that hes very repetitive and sometimes it just seems like all he can really do is Alternate picking runs, Sweeping arpeggios and pedal tone licks.

Stratwizard
11-16-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm seeing him on 13th of December. Can't wait...

hardrock1315
11-16-2006, 04:51 PM
People slam Malmsteens live perfomances all the time because he jumps around alot and throws picks into the crowd. But I love watching him. Its cool how much he gets into it.

To me, that's one of his few redeeming qualities. Why would someone rather watch some stiff ass stuck up dork play guitar with no emotion than watch someone get into it? If I just wanted to hear the music, I'd sit home and listen to the CD. But I go to a concert for the show as well as the music.

I respect him. He's a very talented guitarist. However, I really dislike his music, and he's an arrogant prick, although lately he's been a little better. His cover of Purple Haze is surprisingly good though.

sheumack111
11-16-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm seeing him on 13th of December. Can't wait...

Seriously, it will be the best concert you will ever see........ His entrance the other night..... Soo good.... I wont tell you so it wont spoil the fun :)

Godly Moose
11-16-2006, 07:08 PM
To me, that's one of his few redeeming qualities. Why would someone rather watch some stiff ass stuck up dork play guitar with no emotion than watch someone get into it. If I just wanted to hear the music, I'd sit home and listen to the CD. But I go to a concert for the show as well as the music.

I respect him. He's a very talented guitarist. However, I really dislike his music, and he's an arrogant prick, although lately he's been a little better. His cover of Purple Haze is surprisingly good though.

:no:

sheumack111
11-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Haha... I was just about to quote that and say never say the word "Emotion" and shredder in the same sentance on UG

Reemster
11-16-2006, 07:34 PM
I think what he meant was that some players don't have " emotion" written all over their face (in their performance). Rather than the music not having any " emotion" .

Doesn't mean that, although it may not look like it, a particular player isn't enjoying his own music, of course. :)

garden of grey
11-16-2006, 09:15 PM

im gonna agree with GM, keep the E word out of this!

i am sick of yngwie zombie threads.

sweet_flower
11-16-2006, 09:37 PM
I will be seeing Yngwie in about 8 hours or so....

I am so excited I am wetting myself ^_^

ferretman
11-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Hes definently the best at what He does- that is Neo- classical rock music.
Dude. Thats a big call.

Master Shake
11-17-2006, 10:40 AM
I really hope he plays Gates of Babylon in Perth on Sunday, I love Rainbow! Also touring will Doogie White is a real bonus (obviously) its so sad how he is playing in a nightclub though :sad:
I might try and meet him tomorrow at Kosmics new store opening.

Stratwizard
11-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Why would someone rather watch some stiff ass stuck up dork play guitar with no ******* than watch someone get into it. If I just wanted to hear the music, I'd sit home and listen to the CD. But I go to a concert for the show as well as the music.

I agree. When I go to see a concert I want to see a real show and that Yngwie can definately do.

Dream Theater's gig was one of the most boring gigs I've ever attended. The guys just stood there, played their set and left. They played well, but couldn't get contact to the crowd.

eviledge87
11-24-2006, 08:09 PM
i got my first yngwie cd (Unleash the Fury) about a week before he come to where i live, but i didn't get to go, i was so pissed. People tell me they don't like his solos because they're so detached and just straight blazing, but he's the only person i listen to who sounds like that (besides cooley, but their styles are hugely different) so it doesn't bother me. The show in Columbus OH, where i live, the PA system went out, so apperenlty he solod by himself for about 12 minutes.

Witch-king
11-24-2006, 09:04 PM
I'd love to see him play. I started listen to Rising Force again recently. As Above, So Below is fucking unreal.

hardrock1315
11-24-2006, 11:48 PM

You obviously didn't read my post, I was talking about some other people, not Yngwie.

Godly Moose
11-25-2006, 03:16 AM
You obviously didn't read my post, I was talking about some other people, not Yngwie.

Pfft, no such thing as emotion(Hot human emotions), it's the dynamics, key, and tempo that usually makes people think that something is, "emotion".

bucky_2300
11-25-2006, 01:40 PM
I love Yngwie's live style. He just rocks out without abandon. I like to do that myself, so I can identify. No ninja kicks - but really, if you really get into things onstage and buy into it, the audience will too. Guitar flipping and pick throwing = very cool.

EDIT: Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlciQvsZCsw .

Musical Meds
11-25-2006, 03:23 PM
wish i could see yngwie live. lucky bastages.

breadstick
11-26-2006, 01:24 AM
hehehe...........hes fat. But i like his music

Godly Moose
11-26-2006, 02:34 AM
hehehe...........hes fat. But i like his music

So is 65% of the Adult population of the United States. :)

Stratwizard
11-26-2006, 11:24 AM
hehehe...........hes fat.

Where the **** do you live? In a cave?

Newsflash: He has lost a lot of weight and he's pretty much in the same shape as he was in the 80's.

lexhibit
11-26-2006, 11:28 AM
I love Yngwie's live style. He just rocks out without abandon. I like to do that myself, so I can identify. No ninja kicks - but really, if you really get into things onstage and buy into it, the audience will too. Guitar flipping and pick throwing = very cool.

EDIT: Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlciQvsZCsw .

Agreed, since I took up guitar tossing. We've been so busy we've had to turn down offers for gigs. My band thinks it's just because we're good. He he. THey don't get it. Show biz sells!

NaivexLi
11-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Where the **** do you live? In a cave?

Newsflash: He has lost a lot of weight and he's pretty much in the same shape as he was in the 80's.

But no one will ever believe that.

Why?

Because a fat guy with an accent playing guitar? There isnt much funnier than that

garden of grey
11-26-2006, 05:31 PM
But no one will ever believe that.

Why?

Because a fat guy with an accent playing guitar? There isnt much funnier than that

o rly?

psycho petrucci is much funnier

Night_Lights
11-27-2006, 05:46 AM
as far an im concered, yngwie is a brilliant player. i want to see him live

leviathan \m/

b_r_u_t_a_l
11-28-2006, 08:05 PM
i saw him back march...or maybe it was may...well anyways it was nuts and i was first in front of the stage with no barrier

hes definetly my personal guitar hero

Rox0r713
11-29-2006, 08:49 AM
It would make my freakin' year if he dawned the old sparkley red jacket.

I want to see him live so badly... :cry::cry:

Edit: :down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CB00W5QLk :down:

Stratwizard
11-29-2006, 09:11 AM
i want to see him live

I want to see him live so badly... :cry::cry:

Haha... seeing him live on 14th on December. And in the venue where he's coming to, it's possible to get really close to the stage.

x_beatles_x
11-29-2006, 10:10 AM
yngwie rules thats all there is to it .

powerlord
11-29-2006, 01:54 PM
You guys are forgetting,Yngwie can play anything he wants and any style,he just loves classical and that's what he plays,he has the skill and the speed to go where he wants with the guitar.

Rox0r713
11-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Haha... seeing him live on 14th on December. And in the venue where he's coming to, it's possible to get really close to the stage.

Die, damn you! :gun:

Next time he comes through the USA, I'll be one of the first to get tickets.

Nite27
11-30-2006, 12:39 AM
I've got most of Malmsteens albums, and hes one of the guys I NEED to see in concert. Badly.

luke2206
11-30-2006, 07:43 AM
good god. i just bought Yngwie Malmsteens essential collection. i nearly wet myself with joy!!! how did i not know about him before!!! i'm such a loser

Hidde
12-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Yeah I'm just getting into him. I never though much of him but then saw him on the G3 denver dvd and well... here I am.

On a sidenote: Anyone got settings for Far Beyond The Sun that they could post in the settings thread? There isn't a single Malmsteen setting in 82 pages of the settings thread and asking for it there never gets anything done.

Rox0r713
12-06-2006, 04:49 PM
^Yeah, I've asked there before. It took going to his website to find out:

Amp settings: Bass=2, middle=5, treble=6

And, full rig diagram you can find at:

http://www.bossus.com/bugonline/features.asp?art=malmsteen_rig

Hidde
12-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks man. ^

Night_Lights
12-06-2006, 05:50 PM
DOD boost- settings

"everything all the way up!"

hells yeah.

Axegrinder#9
12-06-2006, 06:22 PM
tone's in your playing man, no amount of OD or EQ-ing will give you someone else's tone just like that

sheumack111
12-07-2006, 12:31 AM
There is soo many key components to Yngwies tone..... His rig is preety simple but its not that that maks his tone unique.....

The Casualty
12-10-2006, 02:42 AM
I hate it when people say he's no good because he shows no emotion. Who cares? Good music is good music, emotion or not.

What a bullshit argument.

RatSkull
12-10-2006, 04:04 AM
I hate it when people say he's no good because he shows no emotion. Who cares? Good music is good music, emotion or not.

What a bullshit argument.

Ya agreed.

I think he shows alot of emotion though.

Check out some preformances of his on youtube.com, it's not like he's just standing this stiff as a board, and he always looks really into what he's doing.

Resiliance
12-10-2006, 06:40 AM
tone's in your playing man, no amount of OD or EQ-ing will give you someone else's tone just like that

Nor will that person's hands and playing, if you haven't got the gear.

Rox0r713
12-10-2006, 09:19 AM

That's very true. As good as someones technique may be, if they play through a garbage rig... It'll sound like garbage. Granted, it'll be the filet mignon of garbage, but it'll still be pretty raunchy.

Check out some preformances of his on youtube.com, it's not like he's just standing this stiff as a board, and he always looks really into what he's doing.

I see plenty of "emotion" or "feeling" in his playing. I love how when he does one-handed legato he always looks at his hand in surprise. Like: :eek: "Holy balls, how am I doing this?!" Not to mention, he always looks like he's having a great time. Aren't joy and surprise emotions? I guess most people just have some kind of misconception that an "emotional" guitar player is one who bites his lower lip, closes his eyes as they roll back, and fondles his guitar like it's giving him a blowjob.

AdamDK
12-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Does anybody know any good Malmsteen CD's that will probably make me love so much I'd get another one? I like Malmsteen, and I really want to get a CD from him.

Witch-king
12-10-2006, 05:01 PM
^Rising Force perhaps.

Axegrinder#9
12-10-2006, 05:12 PM

gear is really overrated...

The Casualty
12-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Does anybody know any good Malmsteen CD's that will probably make me love so much I'd get another one? I like Malmsteen, and I really want to get a CD from him.

Rising Force and Odyssey are good ones.

Resiliance
12-10-2006, 06:47 PM
gear is really overrated...

Depends who it's being rated by...

sheumack111
12-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Rising Force and Odyssey are good ones.

Definatly those two are two the best..... Marching Out is also really good..... I love Sotto and JLT....

The Casualty
12-17-2006, 05:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7gC-EBE__g

Is just me, or does that not sound like Malsteen's voice? :haha

Great performance regardless.

sheumack111
12-17-2006, 05:36 AM
I saw him a few weeks ago and he actually wasnt bad at singing, he mainly backed up Douggie, but took lead for the blues songs that he covered like Red House and Cherokee Warior he was lead singer, and sounded really good i thought.....

Crownman
12-19-2006, 09:35 AM
The last time I saw him live it was horrible. He had several ( meaning about 8) full stack on the stage and every single one was on. I was fortunate enough to be able to hang with the sound guy behind the board and he was having a rough time. The PA they brought would not hardly overpower the his guitar and Yngwie still wasn't happy. Because of the huge guitar sound coming from only the stage volume the whole overall sound was complete crap. There was no way to fix it. Also, the guy was a complete cocksucker to a lot of people there and I lost a lot of respect for the guy. I don't care how talented or famous someone is, they still don't have the right to be complete assholes to the people that they look down on from their high horse.

Resiliance
12-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Umm, I've seen him a couple times, and he always has huge stacks up on stage, but usually he only uses one miced...

Still, proof needed. There's enough false Yngwie slandering to go around.

Crownman
12-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Umm, I've seen him a couple times, and he always has huge stacks up on stage, but usually he only uses one miced...

Still, proof needed. There's enough false Yngwie slandering to go around.

I can't provide proof, this was at least 5 or 6 years ago easy. What I saw with my own eyes though were the multiple channels on the board that were the guitar. Every single bottom cab on each stack was mic'd with a working mic.

Resiliance
12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Strange.

Crownman
12-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Strange.

That's exactly what I said. The funny thing was that the soundguy had them all muted at one point and the guitar was still wayyyyy too loud in the mix. That's how he convinced me that it wasn't him.

I will say though that I had seen Yngwie about 9 months before that in a much smaller venue and he only had one stack on the stage and only the top cabinet was even on. That show sounded a million times better.

HenHouse
12-21-2006, 09:53 PM
so i down loaded the cd "live in leningrad" and on the track "you dont remember,ill never forget" their is a random solo between 3:30 and 4:00 minutes, i was wondering if any one could tell me the name of that tune ?! its tearing me up

Stratwizard
12-22-2006, 05:48 AM
Damn. Yngwie's gig was amazing. God, that guy can play! Not to mention his stage performance.

And for the guy who claimed Yngwie has started to use DSLs: BULLSHIT! He had his wall of Plexis there. My ears are still ringing.

sheumack111
12-23-2006, 03:42 AM
Damn. Yngwie's gig was amazing. God, that guy can play! Not to mention his stage performance.

And for the guy who claimed Yngwie has started to use DSLs: BULLSHIT! He had his wall of Plexis there. My ears are still ringing.

Haha yeah, i saw him a few weeks ago, i still think my hearing isnt the same..... God i dont care though.... Did you get any pick's?

When i saw him he had a wall of JCM800's, they were just for show though, i could see two Plexi's switched on, just offstage near his guitar racks, so i figured that he was using them....

sheumack111
12-23-2006, 03:50 AM
so i down loaded the cd "live in leningrad" and on the track "you dont remember,ill never forget" their is a random solo between 3:30 and 4:00 minutes, i was wondering if any one could tell me the name of that tune ?! its tearing me up

You mean the greensleaves like part??
Or the deep purple style vocal/guitar solo

HenHouse
12-23-2006, 05:51 PM
YES greensleeves! i new it was somthing like that, thanks...i can die happy now

insideac
12-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Derek Sherinan played when you saw him?! Damn, you are lucky haha. Hes amazing. Yngwie isnt the asshole people make him out to be, either. Makes me upset to see that people wont like him or listen to his music because of his reputation. I talked and chilled with him for a little while, he seemed really cool, funny, and humble. I asked him, and he said that it was because when he was young, he was aggressive and stubborn, so that he could make it in the business. Now that he has a secure place in the music world, he can act how he wants now.

Satch_Boogie
12-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Hes a fantastic guitar player, no doubt about that. But he lacks in the emotion department. He can play at extreme speeds, but most of the time I get bored by him. I've seen the G3 tour with him and my God both Satriani and Vai outclass him so bad its not even funny.

The guy likes to show off but after listening to it for a few minutes, it all sounds the same. Its funny to watch him run around like a big ball of lard though :P:

Resiliance
12-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Hes a fantastic guitar player, no doubt about that. But he lacks in the emotion department.

I... Can't...

Ghghurhgurzhiughzuighiuhiuaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/0/0b/290px-Explosions.jpg

insideac
12-26-2006, 06:12 PM
I can't... Ghghurhgurzhiughzuighiuhiuaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

YOU MONSTER! You killed Resi :(. He has emotion, lmao. He has as much emotion as Steve and Joe, just doesnt mouth out the notes as much. Speed has nothing to do with emotion...you can hear a song that is played really slow, and sound like a robot, or a song that is played at 210 bpm with 16th notes that has enough emotion to make you want to cry.

Satch_Boogie
12-26-2006, 07:00 PM
YOU MONSTER! You killed Resi :(. He has emotion, lmao. He has as much emotion as Steve and Joe, just doesnt mouth out the notes as much. Speed has nothing to do with emotion...you can hear a song that is played really slow, and sound like a robot, or a song that is played at 210 bpm with 16th notes that has enough emotion to make you want to cry.I never said speed had anything to do with emotion. Hell its not like Satriani and Vai play slow, its just their music has more feeling to it. Malmsteen's idea of music seems to be "Hey lets throw notes at them as fast as we can! Forget about what they mean to me!"

I still like the guy though, his Rising Force CD is fantastic stuff, Black Star is a great tracks >_>

Godly Moose
12-26-2006, 07:15 PM
I never said speed had anything to do with emotion. Hell its not like Satriani and Vai play slow, its just their music has more feeling to it. Malmsteen's idea of music seems to be "Hey lets throw notes at them as fast as we can! Forget about what they mean to me!"

I still like the guy though, his Rising Force CD is fantastic stuff, Black Star is a great tracks >_>

Ignorance is bliss, no? And what exactly is, "Emotion" per say?(Not human emotions)

Satch_Boogie
12-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Ignorance is bliss, no? And what exactly is, "Emotion" per say?(Not human emotions)Dont you go philosophical on me :no:

Magero
12-30-2006, 05:45 AM
To me his playing is technically brilliant, and technically boring.

ratm_basssolger
12-30-2006, 07:53 AM
I only have Rising Force and its awesome,i learnt how to play Black Star a few days ago,its lots of fun.

Resiliance
12-30-2006, 08:10 AM
Dont you go philosophical on me :no:

If you can't answer the question, just say so. :p:

bucky_2300
12-30-2006, 02:08 PM
I never got the whole "emotion" debate, tbh. Whether an electric guitar is holding one screaming sustained note with all the pain and agony of a human voice crying out to GOD (yes, Hendrix. You can shut up now.) or flying through a brilliantly intricate line that makes me feel like a very small child with a toy acoustic and a whole lot of dreams (Paul Gilbert) I usually like it. In fact, the stereotypical "emotional" playing can get a lot more boring a lot faster for me than the shredding. Or it makes me giggle, if I picture the person's "blues face" while holding that note.

Or maybe we're just seeing different emotions. I know that when I listen to Racer X (particularly Superheroes), Cacophony, or yes, Yngwie, I get a lot of emotion from it - but it's not "Oh dear GOD" emotion. I listen to it and think "Jesus $#%&, are these guys are rocking out and loving it or what?". Because kicking ass at the guitar is fun, and imo, it can be a lot more fun to kick out some insanely fast licks than blues it up one hundred percent of the time. That's what shred/ding is about for me - kicking ass at the guitar and loving every second of it. While I would be the first to admit that wanking gets really boring, I love letting my pick fly free and hit as many notes as it can. And yes, doing left-hand legato complete with the Yngwie "Holy balls!" look on my face.

So yeah, that's my emotion rant. Shred has it, it's just faster.

Resiliance
12-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Shred has it, it's just faster.

That's the quote right there.

sheumack111
01-03-2007, 03:38 AM
I never said speed had anything to do with emotion. Hell its not like Satriani and Vai play slow, its just their music has more feeling to it. Malmsteen's idea of music seems to be "Hey lets throw notes at them as fast as we can! Forget about what they mean to me!"

You obviously havent listened to alot of him have you. To me Malmsteen plays with far more of your so called "feeling" or "emotion" then any of the others listed. Look at the guy when he plays, can you really say that he not "feeling" what the notes mean to him???

sheumack111
01-03-2007, 03:41 AM
I never got the whole "emotion" debate, tbh. Whether an electric guitar is holding one screaming sustained note with all the pain and agony of a human voice crying out to GOD (yes, Hendrix. You can shut up now.) or flying through a brilliantly intricate line that makes me feel like a very small child with a toy acoustic and a whole lot of dreams (Paul Gilbert) I usually like it. In fact, the stereotypical "emotional" playing can get a lot more boring a lot faster for me than the shredding. Or it makes me giggle, if I picture the person's "blues face" while holding that note.

Or maybe we're just seeing different emotions. I know that when I listen to Racer X (particularly Superheroes), Cacophony, or yes, Yngwie, I get a lot of emotion from it - but it's not "Oh dear GOD" emotion. I listen to it and think "Jesus $#%&, are these guys are rocking out and loving it or what?". Because kicking ass at the guitar is fun, and imo, it can be a lot more fun to kick out some insanely fast licks than blues it up one hundred percent of the time. That's what shred/ding is about for me - kicking ass at the guitar and loving every second of it. While I would be the first to admit that wanking gets really boring, I love letting my pick fly free and hit as many notes as it can. And yes, doing left-hand legato complete with the Yngwie "Holy balls!" look on my face.

So yeah, that's my emotion rant. Shred has it, it's just faster.

Thankyou Jesus, our saviour has arrived! I love you.