Building a Fender Telecaster

PDA

View Full Version : Building a Fender Telecaster

leeRy
11-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Okay, so me and my buddy decided it would be cool to build guitars in shop class. At first, I thought it was a pretty bad idea because I was sure there was a lot of stuff that wouldn't work out, and I'm sure it would be much harder than I thought.

Well we asked our shop teacher if it was a plausible project, and he thought it was great, so we decided to go with it.

So far we have the body cut out, but we don't have any of the cavities made. Basically we just have the shape of the tele, and we haven't routered out the neck pocket, or the controls pocket, or the place for the pickups to go.

The neck we ordered is in the mail as we speak.

Now here's where I need your help:

What is our next step? Should we cut out the neck pocket, and after we have that should we cut out the place for the pickups?

I'm really confused and scared that this guitar won't turn out...

And I'm also very unsure of the measurements of where to put the control cavity, etc...

I know this is asking a lot, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

svengeance
11-16-2006, 02:13 PM
PRojectguitar.com might have the measurements.You can google for print out templates,although they might be a little off.I would wait to route the neck until You got it with you.Good Luck you should post pics :D

leeRy
11-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Any other advice out there?.

N_I_N-621
11-16-2006, 10:08 PM
You should have routed the cavities before cutting out the body shape, but for what you have it would be best to route the neck first, followed by whatever work is needed for the bridge.

If you're basing it off a standard tele, the pickups are usually covered by the bridge and pickguard, so its ok to be a little sloppy on the pickup routes.

leeRy
11-17-2006, 06:25 PM
How deep should I cut into the wood for the neck pocket? And how far should I cut into the neck (see attached picture).

Anyone whos helps with these measurements will have me eternally in their debt.

Lord_Of_Dance.
11-17-2006, 06:34 PM
So your building a guitar with no prior experiance?

Could be dangerous, but good luck with it, problem is, if you do finish it, which of you will take it home?

StaggHound
11-17-2006, 07:01 PM
You do realise that you can't build a Fender Telecaster, right?

You can build a Telecaster, alright, though.

AlGeeEater
11-17-2006, 08:10 PM
5/8" x 3" x 2 3/16" (depth x length x width)

It doesnt matter what you do first, I personally always
do the neck pocket before the cavities.

Chris

leeRy
11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Well me and my buddy are building seperate guitars. And I realise it's not going to be a Fender Telecaster, but I want it to be as close as possible without being authentic.

And thank you very much for the measurements, AlGeeEater!

If anyone has any info or advice, I would greatly appreciate further help!

AlGeeEater
11-17-2006, 08:17 PM
I have tons of specs for a tele if ya need them, I actually just got done on building a Tele body.

Chris

MilanV
11-17-2006, 08:19 PM
i have a 100 pages PDF document with exact measurements for les paul standard. let me know if that helps.

leeRy
11-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I have tons of specs for a tele if ya need them, I actually just got done on building a Tele body.

Chris

YES! That would be so very very helpful!

Lord_Of_Dance.
11-18-2006, 08:01 AM
I wish you the best of luck. God, school in the US and Canada sounds pretty rough. I gave up DT last year, but we built things like clocks made out of 3 pieces of wood and a small clock mechanism. I'd LOVE to make a guitar as a project. =[[

dave293
11-18-2006, 08:07 AM
i have a 100 pages PDF document with exact measurements for les paul standard. let me know if that helps.
It would be awesome if you could send that to me.

pyromaniac7234
11-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I would love that too please.

leeRy
11-20-2006, 05:41 PM
How deep should I cut into the body for the control cavity?

AlGeeEater
11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
I route mine 3/4" deep.

Ooops, I meant 1" deep, sorry about that.

Chris

dave293
11-21-2006, 01:54 AM
I routed my control cavity 1 1/2", I found that measurement somewhere on the net, don't know how accurate that is. Depth doesn't matter as long as your switch will fit in fine.