Leaning the Guitar on a wall

PDA

View Full Version : Leaning the Guitar on a wall

Driven:Weak_015
11-16-2006, 10:40 PM
would leaning the guitar against ur wall with the strings facing outward have any effect on the neck of the guitar versus leaning with the strings facing towards the wall or is that just a myth?

thanks in advacne

Wayward_Son
11-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Probably in theory, but I'd doubt you'd notice. I wouldn't do it if I had a really nice guitar, but I do it all the time with my cheapo Dean.

madpickin03
11-17-2006, 12:02 AM
No, but its risky if someone would accidentally knock it and it'd fall. Or someone was running and bump the neck then it could break in half.

TinTin8
11-17-2006, 12:05 AM
No, but its risky if someone would accidentally knock it and it'd fall. Or someone was running and bump the neck then it could break in half.
ditto ... ive had this happen ... not to that extent though ... just knocking my guitar down and denting it etc etc

Pikka Bird
11-17-2006, 12:32 AM
I'd never lean it against anything for the reasons mentioned. Besides, a stand costs just a few bucks. A decent one won't cost much much more than a set of strings. And please don't go cheap with it, as certain kinds of that soft stuff they put on the prongs will eat away at your finish or actually bind to it, which can result in flakes of the finish coming off when you pick up the guitar if you've let it stand there for a few weeks for some reason, eeech!!

AlGeeEater
11-17-2006, 08:14 AM
It's fine.

Chris

danzig-_-
11-17-2006, 01:13 PM
it happened to my rg.
i dont use it anymore, so i just leaned it against the wall so that i could put my precious LP on the stand instead.
after like 3/4-1 month it kinda bended inwards making the action a bit higher.
but thats probably only because ibanez RG necks are thin and weak.
all i did was loosen the strings, and lean it against the wall facing the opposite direction for a while, now i leave it in a case under my bed.

PsychoFreak
11-17-2006, 01:36 PM
now i leave it in a case under my bed.

Genius! Now I know where to put my Squier when I get my RG321MH for Christmas!

Chief_Siddall
03-27-2010, 11:59 AM
would leaning the guitar against ur wall with the strings facing outward have any effect on the neck of the guitar versus leaning with the strings facing towards the wall or is that just a myth?

thanks in advacne
No, this is not a myth. If your guitar is leaning against a wall for an extended period of time with the strings facing out (guitar back to the wall) your guitar neck may develop a forward bow. You will notice this immediately upon playing your guitar because the action on you guitar will literally, suck out load!

I’m guilty of doing this as I am quite sure most others are as well. If they haven’t they’ve probably only been playing for a very short period of time. Like I said, I do it myself for short periods if I don't happen to have a stand setup. In this case I always lean it strings facing the wall, amp, or cabinet; mainly because it has a better contact surface with the object it is leaning against; if the back of the neck is resting against say an amp or something, it is more likely to slip sideways and fall because it is a rounded surface where as the fret board is relatively flat.

With that said, I would never recommend leaving your guitar leaning against a wall or anything else for longer than a "take five." If you lean it against a wall for only few minutes, nothing will happen to the neck regardless of which direction it is facing...unless of course you or someone else knocks it over.

Best policy; when you’re finished playing for the day you should always put your guitar in a good well fitting hard-shell case. If you're going to take a break for a few hours or if you’re on stage consider investing in a high-quality guitar stand. I like the Hercules hanging stands because they are built tough and are very sturdy. I use the double stand for rehearsals and gigs, that way I can keep both my primary and backup instruments close at hand, and very very safe!

Be well,
Chief Siddall

Tackleberry
03-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Leaning against a wall is just a bad idea all around. Leaning against a wall with the weight of the guitar pushing in the direction of the string tension for long periods cant be a good thing in any case. Put it in a case or in a stand of some kind, problem solved.

Dionysos95
03-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Ehm, guys? This is a 3-year old thread...

r0ckth3d34n
03-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Where the hell do people find these threads? Why would someone search for this...?

kenshinakh
03-27-2010, 09:24 PM
lol at digging up old threads.. I lean my guitar's against the table... Luckily my guitar's neck is good so nothing happened.

cbex57
03-28-2010, 02:17 AM
i dont have enough stands for my guitars so i lean my bass up against the wall and now the neck is slighty bowed and feels weird to play

Rt1Rebel
03-28-2010, 03:19 AM
i dont have enough stands for my guitars so i lean my bass up against the wall and now the neck is slighty bowed and feels weird to play

Really? How long does it stay that way? I don't lean my guitars against the wall, but I often lean them against a sofa and stuff, not usually on the neck and not for very long. I figured the risk is knocking it over or sitting on it. This is amazing.

johnro6659
03-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Any time you lean a guitar on anything you run the risk of it hitting the floor and breaking! Stands and wall hangers are cheap, a lot cheaper than a neck repair or replacement. Do yourself a favor and buy one! The best place to keep a guitar is it's case for longer periods of time.

As far as leaning it a certain way I have never noticed and ill effects on a neck I have only heard the same old rumors. When you lay a guitar in a lot of cases the main support for the neck is 3/4s the way up the neck and the body is usually not flat against the inside of the case most of the time if that doesn't effect the neck leaning it on something will not.

John

ron666
04-24-2010, 09:56 PM
For short periods of time, this would not hurt, but if you do this for a long period of time, then there is a strong possibility that you could knock the guitar over accidentally. Then, there would be a strong possibility of damage.

So for short periods of time, this is okay. But if you are not going to be playing for a while, then it makes sense to put it away in the case the guitar came in when you bought it.

Why risk damage, right??

Ron666

DIMEBAGLIVEDON
04-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Four year thread guys.

r0ckth3d34n
04-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Four year thread guys.

Yes, but interesting discussion.

I think it might also have something to do with the kind of neck joint you have. I would think bolt-ons would have the most lee-way because they're not part of the body as much as a set, set-thru or neck-thru neck are.

Also, I've had my guitar leaned up against my entertainment system ever since I got it almost two years ago, and it has never been knocked over. So... I guess it would depend on how you place your guitar against something.

When I get the WV-40, I'll need a stand though, hahaha.

ron666
05-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Why take a chance on your guitar getting knocked over?? Its better to pack it in the guitar case and lay it flat in a location where it is unlikely to fall over. This prevents a lot of problems.

ron666

notverycreative
05-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Sorry if I'm not supposed to post in such an old thread, but quick question..is it okay if I have my guitar in a gig bag leaning against a table? Or will it have the same effects as if it wasn't in a bag at all?

thamason69
05-23-2010, 11:45 PM

thats why mine needs to find a new home... my sisters cat knocked over my cort, and put a very nice chip in the body, i was going to snap that little bastards neck!!

zincabopataurio
05-23-2010, 11:58 PM
This sounds incredibly dumb, tbh. Does anyone have actual proof, as in, they measured the action on their guitar, then leaned it against the wall for a few days and measured the action again? I would like the see that happen. Leaning the guitar against a wall doesn't apply much pressure at all, I doubt there would be much difference, if any at all.