What does X or (2) mean in a bass tab?

PDA

View Full Version : What does X or (2) mean in a bass tab?

fuzzai
11-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Hey guys,

Currently learning how to play the bass, got a buddy that plays guitar teach me verry basic stuff and bad habbits i should not start with. doing a good job.

Got a question however, for yous, he's not around at the moment ;)

going trough some tabs, i noticed that one song im trying to learn, goes like so..

E: 5--5--5--5--X-X-7-X-X-7......

What does the x represent? is it a mute?

Also learning Another song, i noticed this in a part.

--------(0)--7--5-..... <--- not the exact fret's, and i don't remember what string, but i think it was basicly an Open D, however the () around the 0. Just wondering what that means.

Thanks, and sorry for the noobish questions, if i knew what they were i would search to see how to properly do them like i did for the hammer on and pull off's ;)

thanks in advance!

TechnicolorBoy
11-17-2006, 01:06 AM
I believe that the "X" represents a mute. The (0) means that you can choose to play the note or not, it doesnt really matter.

garden of grey
11-17-2006, 01:09 AM
I believe that the "X" represents a mute. The (0) means that you can choose to play the note or not, it doesnt really matter.

it either means that or the notee is fretted but not played. When fretted, it makes some smalls sounds and adds some overtones.

bama
11-17-2006, 01:15 AM
i dont play bass but in regular guitar the x is a mute and the (2) is a harmonic or some tabbers use it as a optional note or maybe even a note that their not sure about but sounds good.
some tabs have explanations of symbols at the bottom

fuzzai
11-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks much guys!

dimebag4eva
11-17-2006, 10:37 PM
when a note is in () it means its a ghost not meaning its played but not heard so much so like u would play it and right away play the next note so it kinda like lingers there but isnt really noticed most of the time ,so u can not play it if u dont want to

TinTin8
11-18-2006, 02:39 AM
when a note is in () it means its a ghost not meaning its played but not heard so much so like u would play it and right away play the next note so it kinda like lingers there but isnt really noticed most of the time ,so u can not play it if u dont want to
thats the right def.