Okay, i tried out a gorgous les paul today. But it was so heavy. Is that bad?

PDA

View Full Version : Okay, i tried out a gorgous les paul today. But it was so heavy. Is that bad?

Guitar-freak
11-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey. So i was at this guitar store today, and tried out a gibson les paul standard with a 50's style neck, and i simply loved it. It was great. It was really heavy, heavier than any other les paul i've tried before. And thats really what set it apart from any other les paul i've tried before. But i've heard somewhere that the best les pauls are lighter? How can this be true when the sound i got from this one was of another world? Much more bassy than the others i tried, and a lot less muddy too.

What do you think? Should i get it? Coz i really liked everything about it. It had a gorgous finish, the best flames i've ever seen in any les paul. My only complaint is the action, which was a little too low. But that can be adjusted of course. So, what do you think? Should i get it and make some action adjustments? Or are the heavier les pauls simply not worth it?

Edit: Also, i've only played guitar for about a year, and im not sure if i can trust my own ability to know which guitars are good, and which aren't. For those saying that I should get it if I like it.

Yngwi3
11-18-2006, 04:51 PM
go for it, i personally like the weight of my les paul, i duknow why but it gives some....some other feeling to me (and not a dislocated shoulder XD)

hurricanes67
11-18-2006, 04:52 PM
If you want it, get it

latinosuperstud
11-18-2006, 04:53 PM
well i would assume itd be beter if its heavier... mahogany is a heavy tonewood...

and the difference in guitars might be subtle on the same amp... but they are drastic on different amps... so try out all the guitars you consider with your own amp

samuwel
11-18-2006, 04:53 PM
i thought the heavier ones were better actually?

if u like the sound, you should definitely get it. unless onstage acrobatics are a big part of your stage performance? these could be limited by the weight

Justice_Fish
11-18-2006, 04:54 PM
It might have heavy Sustain.

Take it!

theguitargod420
11-18-2006, 04:56 PM
take it back it sucks, the lighter the better, trust me!

rockinlewis
11-18-2006, 04:59 PM
well, when i got a les paul, i found it really heavy at first, but i got used to it and now it just feels normal

anewhope
11-18-2006, 05:07 PM
The lighter LP's are for girls :rolleyes:

Jehuty
11-18-2006, 05:37 PM
well, when i got a les paul, i found it really heavy at first, but i got used to it and now it just feels normal

Exactly. I remember when I got my first guitar, which was a Squier Strat and I thought it was heavy. You just have to get used to it.

Jimbo999
11-18-2006, 05:39 PM
yeh it'll feel heavy for a week or two but i'll become normal quite quickly.

DaddyTwoFoot
11-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Heavier a lot of times means more wood, which = more tone.

danzig-_-
11-18-2006, 05:44 PM
take it back it sucks, the lighter the better, trust me!
too much weed there, dumbass.

i say buy it! heavy=more sustain=better tone
i wish i had a bubinga LP with a through neck...isnt bubinga even heavier than mahogany?

TehJermie
11-18-2006, 05:55 PM
If it's really that heavy, you should do some weight training. That would benefit your music performance too(If any.) Also, in the music world, I notice that heavier things seem to be more toneful IMO :p: Strings, Guitars, Amps(I've heard some old amps that are built like frickin' tanks, but they sound amazing.)

dr_love6977
11-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Ok, I sell Les Paul's for a living. The guitar is a little bit heavier because of the 50's neck. It's much larger than the slim-tapered 60's neck. Mahogany is a very heavy wood, an excellent tone wood. More wood = more sustain. That unique, bassy tone comes from the new Burstbucker Pro pickups, which Gibson designed for the 2006 Standards. All in all, the guitar is an awesome instrument. Buy it!

P.S. Lighter does not mean better.

dr_love6977
11-18-2006, 05:59 PM
too much weed there, dumbass.

i say buy it! heavy=more sustain=better tone
i wish i had a bubinga LP with a through neck...isnt bubinga even heavier than mahogany?

Yeah, bubinga is much heavier than mahogany. The only bubinga guitar I've seen as of late tho is a Spector bass.

Mattalac
11-18-2006, 06:22 PM
I imagine if its TOO heavy, then it'd hurt your back and neck..
But it's a Les Paul, so there is no such thing as too heavy.

smoothguitar32
11-18-2006, 06:35 PM
definitely get that thing it is just an adjustment. In a week it'll feel totally normal.

Guitar-freak
11-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah, i don't care about the weight because its too straining. And people who say you're a pussy if you think its too heavy, are just the stupid gibson fanatics to whom i pay no attention.

Thanks to everyone who helped though ;)

The reason i was worried about the weight is because someone on these forums have said that the les pauls with the best tones were the lighter ones, the ones that weigh between 8 and 9 Ibs were the ones that had the best tone.. Ah well.. maybe i'll get it :P

Yngwi3
11-18-2006, 07:26 PM
do it ;) :p: and post pics after :)

:cheers:

TimmyPage06
11-18-2006, 07:29 PM
If you aren't a hunchback by the time you're 30, you need a heavier guitar.

MetalUpTheAss
11-18-2006, 07:32 PM
I disagree with nearly everything said so far.

Heavier Les Pauls are made with African Mahogany, lighter ones with Honduran Mahogany, which tends to be more toneful.

However, woods are NOT 100% consistent, so it's very possible you've got a very nice sounding, but VERY heavy Les Paul, and it's possible for a light one to sound like poo.

Personally, I'd play around more... see if it's JUST that one Les Paul that really appeals, or if there's something new going on that's more consistently good. If so, find a light one.

It's NOT worth breaking your back to play a guitar.

timi_hendrix
11-18-2006, 07:33 PM
You said it sounded great and you loved the feel of it.

So buy the guitar!

Guitar-freak
11-18-2006, 07:42 PM
I disagree with nearly everything said so far.

Heavier Les Pauls are made with African Mahogany, lighter ones with Honduran Mahogany, which tends to be more toneful.

However, woods are NOT 100% consistent, so it's very possible you've got a very nice sounding, but VERY heavy Les Paul, and it's possible for a light one to sound like poo.

Personally, I'd play around more... see if it's JUST that one Les Paul that really appeals, or if there's something new going on that's more consistently good. If so, find a light one.

It's NOT worth breaking your back to play a guitar.

African mahogny is actually the lightest type of mahogny there is. South american mahogny is the really heavy mahogny species. I dunno about the honduran mahogny, but i doubt it can be much lighter than african mahogny.