strip guitar paint

PDA

View Full Version : strip guitar paint

iHeart_LesPauls
11-20-2006, 09:39 PM
What's the best most efficient way to strip paint off a guitar.
Possible, Chemicals, burning it off, or are their any other more efficient methods? also please elaborate on how to properly do both methods of paint stripping or another way if possible.

jamrockradio
11-20-2006, 09:47 PM
by "burn it off" i hope you mean use a heat gun. that still doesn't work great, it really depends on the guitar you have. i would use a sander, make sure you go with the grain of the wood.

hinobla
11-20-2006, 09:50 PM
just paint over it

WokCreations
11-20-2006, 09:58 PM
just paint over it

Yeah that would be the easy option, assuming you want more paint on it. If you want the grain to be shown on the finish then I guess that won't work lol.

GnGonzalesjoe
11-20-2006, 10:08 PM
There all efficient if you do the job right. People use Chemicals, burning it off instead of sanding because it requires less work.

kaplac
11-20-2006, 11:50 PM
checmical stripping isn't very effective, since a lot of companies use polyurethanes and they are pretty hard to take off sicne tehy are essentially plastic. Burning does work to a degree, but you need to snad off hte burn marks in teh end. And if your just planning on doing a solid color just scuff up teh original plaint job with 220 grit paper and paint over it, no need for a S&S or grain filler jsut go straight to primer

TehNez
11-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Wetsand with 220. Then gradually go to finer sandpaper until you reach 2000.

dave293
11-21-2006, 01:45 AM
^You don't need to wet sand for stripping, 2000 is way too fine for body prep work 220 is perfect.

AirCraft Remover by kleen strip works on poly finishes btw.

Some info on stripping.
http://reranch.com/101.htm#Stripping

iHeart_LesPauls
11-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks alot, for these great suggestions.

TehNez
11-21-2006, 05:24 PM
^You don't need to wet sand for stripping, 2000 is way too fine for body prep work 220 is perfect.

AirCraft Remover by kleen strip works on poly finishes btw.

Some info on stripping.
http://reranch.com/101.htm#Stripping

I forgot to include this is for if your repainting: You don't need to sand down to the wood, as the original paint makes a perfect primer. And yes, you don't need to wetsand, but its highly recommended, as many paints give off lead dust, and the water will prevent it from going airborne.

kaplac
11-21-2006, 07:49 PM
yeah. 2000 is WAY too much sanding esp for just a simple roughed up surface for paint to adhere to. And theprevious paint works as your sanding sealer and grain filler, not your primer. Primer is still needed after yo uscuff hte body. Abd I can see where your comign from wiht the wet sanding bit, but if your really worried about lead then wear a mask, beacuse your not going to be able to wetsand everything so you'll need one anyways.

TehNez
11-21-2006, 08:46 PM
yeah. 2000 is WAY too much sanding esp for just a simple roughed up surface for paint to adhere to. And theprevious paint works as your sanding sealer and grain filler, not your primer. Primer is still needed after yo uscuff hte body. Abd I can see where your comign from wiht the wet sanding bit, but if your really worried about lead then wear a mask, beacuse your not going to be able to wetsand everything so you'll need one anyways.

You can wetsand everything if you know what your doing.

dave293
11-22-2006, 08:10 AM
2000 is still to fine even fine your painting over a factory finish.

Dust should not be a problem if your wearing a mask (you should always wear a mask with whatever you are sanding!) As for lead dust, not a problem. There isn't any lead in any paints used on guitars, the only instance i can think of lead being a problem is in some pre-1970's house paint.

TehNez
11-22-2006, 01:18 PM
2000 is still to fine even fine your painting over a factory finish.

Dust should not be a problem if your wearing a mask (you should always wear a mask with whatever you are sanding!) As for lead dust, not a problem. There isn't any lead in any paints used on guitars, the only instance i can think of lead being a problem is in some pre-1970's house paint.

It's still not worth taking the risk. It's the same reason I don't just "wear a mask" when I'm getting rid of asbestos dust from brakes...Sure, newer brakes don't use asbestos but why take the risk? Dust stays airborne for quite a while, and especially if there are other people in the area, a mask isn't enough.

dave293
11-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Working in a well ventilated area (preferably outside for stripping) and using a -good- mask airborne dust isn't a problem.