Prog. Thrash Piece (Crit 4 Crit) [PTB, MIDI]

PDA

View Full Version : Prog. Thrash Piece (Crit 4 Crit) [PTB, MIDI]

Hallows_Eve
11-23-2006, 04:34 PM
So far I've got a piano/guitar solo intro and two guitar riffs. This is my second serious song (Well 3rd, but I just gave up on that neo-classical piece I was working on). Feedback? (Give some 1-10/10 ratings) And leave a link to your song so I can leave crit back.

EDIT: New Version at Post 17.

psilocyndreams2
11-23-2006, 04:45 PM
that was pretty sweet.

it doesnt look finished, so hit me up when you do finish it.

sumfears
11-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Sounds good so far can't wait to here the ifnish version.

Spark1284
11-23-2006, 05:13 PM
the rifff in bar 30 took some time to warm up to, but other than that great. the finished thing should sound great if it keeps going like this

altosaxgeek5
11-23-2006, 09:54 PM
I agree with Spark... the transition to the new lick was a bit awkward. I think it would flow more smoothly if you just added some small, driving quarter note or eighth note piano chords for the first 4 measures before the piano totally leaves.
Also, some of the solo licks could be smoother.. there's just something about them that leaves something to be wanted for me.

crit mine?http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462265

psychotim
11-24-2006, 10:50 AM
The intro was kinda like a evil classical thing witch was cool.
I think the solo thing ended to sudden.
The riff after that was kinda cool.
Then the last riff came and i cant say that i liked that one very much.

Nunwhxre 666
11-24-2006, 12:55 PM
I really liked the intro piano peice. Very metal sounding. The solo was decent but some parts sounded kinda awkward, but that might just be me. The riff at measure 30 was a decent riff, but it just came out of nowhere. No transition or anything. And I really liked the last riff. I have a feeling this is going to be a really good song when it's finished. Keep it up.

And if you get the chance, could you crit one of my songs? Links are in my sig.

Welsh-Metal
11-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Nice idea there, but i felt that the solo guitar piece lacked impact. I don't know if you are intending on adding another guitar, but i think it would give it some more driving power.

As for the solo, it seemed to just be alot of fast notes, i didn't feel the part, and i thought it kinda lacked structure.

Nice start though, piano sounds cool, finish it up and it should be sweet.

Crit mine please (Link in sig)

Hallows_Eve
11-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Fixed the solo, Swapped out the old 2nd riff for a new Atheist-influenced one. I'm going to use the last riff as the chorus, and it's not finished yet. Added an transition riff between the piano part and guitar, too. I really like the new version of this song :cool:

Btw, this is my first use of odd time sigs (3/4 in this case), so I'm not sure how it turned out.

Influences for Song: Atheist, Yngwie Malmsteen, Metallica, Cacophony, Dream Theater

Nunwhxre 666
11-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I really like this new version. It still has it's downpoints though. Like measure 35 - 46 still don't seem to fit with the rest of the song. Measures 48 - 78 were ace, bro. Big fan of that riff. Only thing is, where you have the piano/guitar, instead of the piano playing the 16th notes on the A strings just have the piano play the A5 powerchord as a quarter-dotted note. It would probably sound much better, considering pianos rarely play stuff like that.

Some on the upsides are the dueling guitar solo thing at the beginning. That was really cool. And I thought measure 34 was pretty cool too.

Overall, decent peice. 7.5/10

If you get a chance, could you check out one of mine?

Hallows_Eve
11-25-2006, 07:30 PM
I'll check out those other two songs you told me to check out today or tomorrow.

Anyways, I ditched that 1st guitar riff that everyone hated and put in a new arabic part in it's place, fixed the piano during the 3/4 part, added some bass and changed around some of the riffs (I know it's soon for another update, but I want the first half of this song to be perfect before I move on).

Added Influences: Litham

EDIT: Btw, I was thinking I might seperate the two parts of the song (1st part being everything up until bar 52, 2nd being bar 52 and after) into two seperate song since they don't seem to go together that well but I don't want to trash either of them (I put a while into writting both of them).

Burning_Angel
11-26-2006, 01:18 AM
I can honestly say, I liked everything about it so far. Cant wait for a finished product.

PS: That must be a bitch on the fingers.

gutsman
11-26-2006, 01:31 PM
great stuff. sounds like a halloween song of some sort hehe

Spark1284
11-26-2006, 03:45 PM
wow just fantastic, i like how it is, i dont think theres an issue with the two parts different, they flow well, but the part where the piano is playing the same thing as guitar... it sounds great but pianos are so muhc mroe than just a cool effect i personally think it should be played like a piano and not like a guitar, but thats all ur choice u are a guitarist after all

altosaxgeek5
11-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Wow. That was really, really cool. Flows very well. I like the Arabian lick a lot, too, much better than the original lick that was there. 8/10

Nunwhxre 666
11-28-2006, 05:30 PM
The latest version is ace, bro. I loved the bass at measure 36, pure awesomeness right there. Wish my bass turned out like that. =\. I like the new arabian riff, pretty cool stuff there. Measure 53 and on sounds much better now that you fixed the piano. I have a feeling this is gonna be an awesome song when it's complete. 8.5/10 for this new version. Keep up the good work.

BTW, if you're interested I have a new song, the link isn't in my sig yet, but it's posted already, so just look for it. I'd appreciate it. =]

Hallows_Eve
11-29-2006, 07:54 PM
New Finished Version.. Uses a lot more really ****ed up time sigs and it's 4:15 in length. Crit 4 crit plx.

SGxMastodonxSG
11-30-2006, 01:54 AM
My god, that was amazing, I loved every riff, ****ing incredible. I especially liked the intro/outro Piano.
Beautiful, man. Beautiful.

flyingsquirrel
12-01-2006, 10:35 PM
nice

thats pretty good, not really my style, but its good.

Fallenblood
12-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Great song! I really like metal with an oriental feel, and the piano fits in nicely.

Grovermans
12-02-2006, 12:33 PM
it was pretty good for a thrash metal song,
but i really don't like thrash metal, so... yeah.
i can't really think of anything to change cause
i don't know anything about thrash metal so
i can't really think of anything else for you to put.

Marek99
12-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Damn, I like it.

Took me 2-3 plays to get into it, but man thats a one cool piece, my favourite part is the outro,..catchy guitar ;)

-MT

Hallows_Eve
12-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Added bass, the song is pretty much completely done now.

riffmasta93
12-09-2006, 02:02 PM
not bad at all i love how you fit the piano in =D

RPotts
12-11-2006, 02:49 AM
Original, catchy, interesting, good use of piano, driving. A bunch of good qualities to it. Also, the 19/16 bars are fluid and not overly obvious, which seems to be a fad these days. I think it was a little bit arpeggio laden, lotsa sweeps and ascending arpeggios. It's definetely one of the better pieces on UG.

aprescott_27
12-11-2006, 03:07 AM
That was cool. I liked the part at bar 34. And 97-100. Those are the parts that stood out. I liked the whole thing a lot. Nice work.

Just ... damn. 9.5/10.

Care to crit my latest? Link is in my sig.

Bodomizer
12-11-2006, 05:45 PM
wow man. that was amazing. definitely one of the best pieces i've seen on here. The riffs were amazing and so were the solos. some of the stuff seemed kinda impossible to play.. well at least the way you have it tabbed.. but it doesn't really matter. Great song.. very very creative. If you get the time could you crit any of mine? preferrably viKing. thanks alot man and good job.

MadMudgeN
12-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Haha, I'd actually listened to this like 4 times before you requested, and I think it's pretty friggin sweet. The piano goes really really well with the whole thing, and it's definitely interesting. My fav part is probably where the piano and distorted guitar play the exact same thing; it sounds really powerful especially with the piano. 9/10 dude, it's sweet.