Interested

PDA

View Full Version : Interested

mikedunk
11-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey just a question from a classic rock fan, im really interested in what you shred guitarists find so good about shred? personall whenever i have seen videos featuring this type of mucisianship i find them empty, boring and repetitive, that is only my opinion though and i am opened to be proved otherwise, thanks.

madpickin03
11-23-2006, 08:58 PM
oh boy

this'll be fun...

mikedunk
11-23-2006, 09:03 PM
uh oh lol

SnowballofDoom
11-23-2006, 09:03 PM
It's all music... we like it.

I'm sure there will be better answers, but I think most of them will come down to that.

mikedunk
11-23-2006, 09:06 PM
im not dsissing the music im interested in it myself and am simply curious about it

tpot06
11-23-2006, 09:06 PM
It all comes down to personal taste. Thats whats so great about music in my eyes. Im not really a fan of shred, though I think Satriani is great, but I can understand why others like it.

NaivexLi
11-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Its music
its another way of expressing yourself, a different style through a guitar.

Sure, some people are actualy good with words and can write poems and lyrics.
other people can write more bluesy guitar stuff, jazz, good classic rock songs, southern rock, punk...you get the idea.

I guess there is no real reason to say why I like it other than I just find it appealing, its just my cup of tea, to say.

Can I ask though, what videos have you seen and of who?

Maybe we can give you some other ideas of people to look at that could give you a different view of it.

chase09
11-23-2006, 09:20 PM
I am curious, are you watching videos of shredders playing actual songs, or just people playing random things really fast.

VaiSatchLaiho
11-24-2006, 12:39 AM
I like the originality of guitarists like Buckethead.

Godly Moose
11-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Hey just a question from a classic rock fan, im really interested in what you shred guitarists find so good about shred? personall whenever i have seen videos featuring this type of mucisianship i find them empty, boring and repetitive, that is only my opinion though and i am opened to be proved otherwise, thanks.

Please show me said videos. I doubt you're actually probably seeing something, that what the majority of us actually listen too. And for the love of god don't post any Dragonforce videos.

Shreddin 4 Life
11-24-2006, 02:43 AM
well, (to me) it's just a different style that tends to appeal more to other musicians who crave more than the average technical proficient music. Similarly, it's also played by musicians who want more of a challenge than the average-paced stuff as well

either u love it or ya don't--it really is an acquired taste & passion.

also, yeah some of the ^ posts raise a good point: which "shredders"are in question exactly? That could be/make a big difference...

TheUltimateSin
11-24-2006, 03:13 AM

I lol'd

And don't think for one minute that being a classic rock fan is an excuse. I am a classic rock fan, and I like shred music more than you could fathom.

xxdarrenxx
11-24-2006, 04:58 AM
why is it for us weird to liek shred. Myself find it weirder to listen to popmusic (not all) bu tmost boyband stuff. What's interesing about that. The one drives a car but doesn't race with it the other likes racing but get bored with driving below for instance 60 mp/h. comparison are to be made in almost any subject. we just like it because.. we like it I guess.

True; that some music you need to get into, just like you need to learn to speak spanish to talk to spanish people.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel "attracted" to shred. But I appreciate your appreciation for our appreciation of shred. (don't know if that sentence is right :p: )

Lemoninfluence
11-24-2006, 05:34 AM
you also have to remember that shred itself isnt a genre. Its a collective term used (by most people) for fast or technically proficient guitar playing. some people will love marty friedman and hate shawn lane, others might like vai an satch but cant stand MAB.

'Shredders' come in all shapes and sizes from jazz to prog to neoclassical to just plain cheesy 80s metal. I personally listen to 'shred' a) because I like the songs (I dunno why, why does the threadstarter like classic rock?) and b) to try and improve my technique. If I listen to this stuff and try to learn it, I'll have to improve my technique to be able to play it.

The more technically proficient you are, the less barriers there are when writing your own music. If you have the ability to express yourself in more ways then its more likely that you can find something to fit the way you're feeling at one particular moment in time.

Vantastic!
11-24-2006, 01:16 PM
basically shred is nothing short of amazing. if you watch some "shredders" you'll think "oh this is lame" because all they do is play real fast and try and show off , but if you watch someone like steve vai or stach then you'll see that shred isn't just about playing fast and showing off it can be just as melodic as it can be technical, and i also like classic rock so i'm not gonna ask you why you like it because it is awsome too.

xxdarrenxx
11-24-2006, 01:27 PM
But Shred isn't the deciding factor of what you say. Vai and Satch are Virtuoso's and their musical abilty's is what made them most great not just there "shred".

paddyo
11-24-2006, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I2e_E7kGsI
Boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYoWCWo89tk
Empty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilq1j_XbEHs
Repetetive.

;)

FretboardToAsh
11-24-2006, 02:31 PM
hey guys i'll just copy my answer from the other thread that has exactly the same question(to letter exact),here goes...

i'm not too much into shredding itself, i tend to like a lot of different styles from trashmetal to freejazz. but for me the shredding is so much fun(doing it as well as watching) cause i like to train, i can have fun with the most horrible exercise just training and making myself better.

shredding is the result of so much training, and it is very satisfying(is that correct english?)to do for me that is,
hell i even get the kick from seeing someone shred and knowing exactly what that preson is doing and knowing in some cases that you can do better than that.

it has to be in your interest to be good, real-****ing-good without flaws or doubts. not trying to skip away with a song existing of 3 chords and a 6 note melody, but showing that your technique is perfect and getting a good feeling about it...

after all your playing because you choose to, and you like what your doing.

my rant about it, take for what you will