Middle Eastern Tunings

PDA

View Full Version : Middle Eastern Tunings

ledhed68
11-24-2006, 11:27 AM

Ok, so does anyone know any good Middle Eastern Tunings besides DADGAD?
thanks in advance

Guitarmeister
11-24-2006, 11:34 AM
what the hell?

Roythebattousai
11-24-2006, 11:43 AM
idk how middle eastern it is... but ive been experimenting with
DGCGCD alot...

The Rain Song...

SethMegadefan
11-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Middle Eastern music isn't based off of tunings, but rather scales and modes. Phrygian, Harmonic Minor, Arabian, etc. Look for some at wholenote.com (http://www.wholenote.com/default.asp?iTarget=http%3A//www.wholenote.com/basics/scales.asp).
But there isn't really any tuning that emphasizes anything Middle Eastern in any way.

rock_and_blues
11-24-2006, 01:27 PM
^^^your partially right, using those scales will give you a middle easter sound, but the true essence of middle eastern music is the drone. so whats needed is how to create a droning sound whilst playing melody lines using those scales.

SethMegadefan
11-24-2006, 01:29 PM
^^^your partially right, using those scales will give you a middle easter sound, but the true essence of middle eastern music is the drone. so whats needed is how to create a droning sound whilst playing melody lines using those scales.
That's a certain branch of classical Indian music, yes, but that's not all that signifies Middle Eastern music. When you get right down to it, there are probably hundreds of scales and modes that fit many very different styles of Middle Eastern music, and the drone is just one of the many of them.
It's certainly something to try, though. I can't argue with that.

rock_and_blues
11-24-2006, 01:35 PM
yes, theyre are definetly hundreds of modes and scales that fit the context of middle eastern music, however when used in conjunction with a droning sound, it creates a much more authintic feel in my opinon. for example i'll play on the D string and the G string simultaneously. using the d string for the droning effect and playing lines up and down the g string. it just gives off a more middle easter vibe in my opinon.

SethMegadefan
11-24-2006, 01:38 PM
however when used in conjunction with a droning sound, it creates a much more authintic feel in my opinon.
Yes, because it's an effect used in a lot of classical Indian music. :) I'm not disagreeing with you, because it's definitely a useful effect. I just wanted to stress that it wasn't the only way to achieve a Middle Eastern sound, is all. But it's no doubt an option.

rock_and_blues
11-24-2006, 01:46 PM
im definetly agreeing with you its not the only way to acheive the effect, but i was trying to copy the droning of a sitar on the guitar (which was abit of a challenge due to the symphathetic (sp?) strings of a sitar), but hey to each his own right, that was just the sound i wanted.

ledhed68
11-24-2006, 02:36 PM
thank you guys very much, you have no idea how much that helped