Hey, where's the fUnK??

PDA

View Full Version : Hey, where's the fUnK??

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 03:15 AM
Hey UG,

I've been listening to some really good funk groups lately and have really been inspired by them.. and then I come to see what UG has to offer on this category of music and I see that there is close to nothing on it.

Under Band/Artists forum there is no Funk section.. there is all of these hardcore.. nu metal.. pop punk w/ a side of hardcore/emo and a hint of lemon lol. These aren't
even real categories of music compared to funk.. It would be nice to maybe eliminate one of these and put funk in place of it.

There are so many artists that could fit under 'funk'. Plus, I really don't think we need that many different categories of metal and emo music lol.

Actually, now that I think of it.. UG's artist/band forum is not a good selection of categories in general. There is not a country, funk, acoustic, or reggae section. Could we consider a move to open up more of a variety in this forum?

Thoughts/suggestions/feedback?

BumOffBarney
11-26-2006, 03:25 AM
tbh, i dont see it getting much traffic.

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 03:26 AM
read edit in my post

BlueZephyr
11-26-2006, 03:27 AM
try the 'other' (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18) board.

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 03:33 AM
try the 'other' (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18) board.

Naaa, not gonna cut it. There's only so many genres you can fit in 'other'.
I think 'Country', 'Funk/Reggae', and 'Acoustic' should defenitly be added. And I am sure they would get plenty of traffic.

Please dont tell me that you all would rather an emo, nu metal, etc. sections rather than these. Think about it.

Resiliance
11-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Ain't enough demand.

(And what kind of a genre is "acoustic"?)

fronkpies
11-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Just out of interest if I was going to make a thread about Funkadelic could I put it in classic rock? or would it have to be in other?

Andrewbiles
11-26-2006, 08:57 AM
If its the original funk sound then I'm sure the Blues & Jazz forum would welcome it in, but we're not going to add those sections to the B&A forums at the moment. Why? Because these boards have the selection that the majority of the users want. Yes, it would be nice to have a funk forum, but then it'd also be nice to have a post-rock forum and a metalcore forum and a rap forum. We can't have forums for absolutely everything. One of the more popular forms of music on this board lately seems to be rap, at least more popular than funk, but that won't get its own forum. The Other forum caters for these threads about music that not everyone is interested in. Funk is great, I completely agree, but like mentioned before, it doesn't receive enough traffic to warrant it getting its own forum. That B&J forum barely gets much traffic, but they're both hugely important to music. Funk can happily fit in there or the Other forum and always has.

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 11:43 AM
First, how can you possibly know what everyone on this site prefers? There's like 150,000 members.

What I'm saying is, in order to widen the musical spectrum on this site (which can only be good) why don't you all condense these categories into one, to make room for others. Ex) Condense nu metal and metal into one and make sure you include that it is for both.. condense harcore and emo into one. Condense classic rock and modern rock into one.

By doing this, people can explore and discuss about even more genres.. again, such as country, acoustic, funk/reggae, classical music w/e it may be.

Notice I did put funk and reggae together, there is no doubt in my mind that it would recieve plenty of traffic and interest. And by 'acoustic' I mean like dave matthews, jack johnson, classical music, or any other group/artist/genre that deals with all acoustic/orchestra sounds.

Also, funk/reggae itself is different from B&J.. its funk/reggae. Its like you saying that one type of punk is different from another.. funk/reggae is different from B&J. We have 2 different forums for punk though. We don't have to get rid of them.. we can condense these branches into one, let people know that they are still there and make room for a couple of others that may be really important.

FrenchyFungus
11-26-2006, 11:51 AM
First, how can you possibly know what everyone on this site prefers? There's like 150,000 members.

What I'm saying is, in order to widen the musical spectrum on this site (which can only be good) why don't you all condense these categories into one, to make room for others. Ex) Condense nu metal and metal into one and make sure you include that it is for both.. condense harcore and emo into one. Condense classic rock and modern rock into one.

By doing this, people can explore and discuss about even more genres.. again, such as country, acoustic, funk/reggae, classical music w/e it may be.

Notice I did put funk and reggae together, there is no doubt in my mind that it would recieve plenty of traffic and interest. And by 'acoustic' I mean like dave matthews, jack johnson, classical music, or any other group/artist/genre that deals with all acoustic/orchestra sounds.

Also, funk/reggae itself is different from B&J.. its funk/reggae. Its like you saying that one type of punk is different from another.. funk/reggae is different from B&J. We have 2 different forums for punk though. We don't have to get rid of them.. we can condense these branches into one, let people know that they are still there and make room for a couple of others that may be really important.
nu metal and metal together?
The world would implodify lol.

There's enough traffic in both the punk and pop-punk/emo forums to justify two forums, funk just isn't popular enough to justify a forum.

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, notice I did combine reggae and funk together? These two genres can't justify a forum???? I think it would do very well. And what about all forms of country music? What about acoustic/orchestra? You won't know until you've tried it. This isnt just about funk.. I'm talking about condensing these forums into one..NOT getting rid of them. It just makes more space, and variety.

Greenday389
11-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Combining Nu-Metal and Metal will just create an apocolypse.

If there isn't much Funk stuff in the Other Forum I don't see why it should go anywhere else.

timi_hendrix
11-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Well, notice I did combine reggae and funk together? These two genres can't justify a forum???? I think it would do very well. And what about all forms of country music? What about acoustic/orchestra? You won't know until you've tried it. This isnt just about funk.. I'm talking about condensing these forums into one..NOT getting rid of them. It just makes more space, and variety.

Know why I put all the "I"'s in bold?

This is your opinion.

You're the first one to ask about a funk/reggae forum, or "acoustic" (which is ridiculous, acoustic songs can fit into all kinds of genres), and country fans see no problem with fitting it into "Other".

Most people on UG like the genres that have their own forums, hence those being the most popular.

You're not listening to the people telling you this, and your view doesn't represent everyone on the site's.

Allowing funk threads in blues & jazz seems fine to me.

:cheers:

Jearl
11-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Condense nu metal and metal into one and make sure you include that it is for both.. condense harcore and emo into one. Condense classic rock and modern rock into one.

yeah...that'll go over well :rolleyes:

Strat_Monkey
11-26-2006, 01:19 PM
You're the first one to ask about a funk/reggae forum

He's not the first to ask about a Funk forum...

He's the second :D

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Why is everyone so worried about mixing nu metal and metal ? WTF?? You guys think a nuclear war will go down? Its not like putting cats with dogs.. its just music. The thing you all are not seeing here, is that there are many different types and styles of each genre of music. You think there is only one type of blues? one type of jazz? one type of ska? No of course not. That is why we need to combine all of these types into one generic forum for each genre. This shouldnt cause any conflict at all... its a music forums not a political forums.

You can't just put out a bunch of little sub forums for punk and metal, and then stick everything else into 'Other'. It's much smarter to combine each subforum in order to include each main genre. Hardcore is not a main genre.. nu metal is not a main genre. Both of them can fit into another to make one.

If your saying that we should just include funk into blues/jazz then that's just like saying we should just put hardcore with emo.. pop punk with reg. punk.

FrenchyFungus
11-26-2006, 03:58 PM
nu metal is an entirely different genre from metal.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394084&highlight=slipknot

The system works, it ain't changing.

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 04:02 PM
lol, nice retalliation.

I'll make sure never to make good suggestions on site feedback again. To many people sitting around with shotguns waitin to shoot somethin else down.

Andrewbiles
11-26-2006, 05:24 PM

How can I possibly know? I don't definitely know, but I've been modding the B&A forums for years now and there is a huge lack of interest in funk music. Yes, some threads do appear, but most of the time they're asking for recommendations or wanting to talk about RHCP. I don't remember ever seeing a thread about The Meters or Chic. Sometimes a Stevie Wonder thread will appear or possibly a Prince or James Brown, but very rarely.
Reggae generally gets talked about in either the Other forum or sometimes in the punk & ska forum. But again, the threads aren't all that common and when they appear its often very general and not many replies.

That is how I know. I'm not saying it'd be a bad thing, I'm just saying it wouldn't live up to what you hoped or be worth the effort of putting it up and trying to look after it.

Nu metal and the metal forums combining is just not a sensible option. It would create a ton of work for everyone (keep in mind the moderators of the board don't get paid and its just a spare time thing) to clear up and it wouldn't ever settle down.

A classic Rock & modern rock combination just doesn't really make much sense. They're two of the more popular forums in the B&A section and people tend to like it that way. At least from what I can tell.

You think there is only one type of blues? one type of jazz? one type of ska? No of course not. That is why we need to combine all of these types into one generic forum for each genre.

Please explain that first line to me and relate it to what you're asking.

You can't just put out a bunch of little sub forums for punk and metal, and then stick everything else into 'Other'. It's much smarter to combine each subforum in order to include each main genre. Hardcore is not a main genre.. nu metal is not a main genre. Both of them can fit into another to make one.

If your saying that we should just include funk into blues/jazz then that's just like saying we should just put hardcore with emo.. pop punk with reg. punk.

We can't? But its been that way for years... You're lying.

Yes forums could be combined with ones relating to one another, but it just causes more conflict and at the moment the B&A forums are actually in quite a good shape, so why ruin a good thing?

Hardcore was with emo, pop-punk was with punk... They were seperated due to user conflicts, and looking back through my memory I don't ever remember someone moaning about a funk or reggae thread when they've been in the B&J or Other forums.

Just please trust us that there's really no need for a funk/reggae forum. Why not have a dance forum? People on here like dance/trance/drum n bass music. Why not have a rap forum? People are fans of hip-hop, grime, general rap. The reason? Because there's not enough interest amongst users for them to warrant having their own forums.

The only forum in the B&A section that probably doesn't need to exist for much longer is the nu-metal one, but the rest are fine as they are and there are no need for changes at the moment.

rhcp_freak
11-26-2006, 05:33 PM
i want funk aswell. im surprised that anyone even posts in the emo section.

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 05:42 PM
What I'm saying there is that UG decides to pick apart emo and metal music.. seperate it, but not jazz or blues or any other. You combine jazz and blues.. but not nu metal and metal. I just don't quite understand. Why can't UG do a trial for funk/reggae to see how it goes?? You said ur self that nu-metal is going under.

I guess I am asking why is there seperation of different types of one genre and not others. What is the sub-forum limit on a forum?

jof1029
11-26-2006, 06:36 PM
^ the separation of different types of genres is based on what makes the most sense for the general populace of UG. there are a lot of metal fans and are/were lot of nu-metal fans. they dont get along. thus, there are forums for each of them. the same kind of idea goes for all the forums. funk doesnt have the high demand that genres like metal and shred have on UG, so it doesnt make sense to spend space on it. would i rather listen to funk than metal? yes, but that doesnt mean i think it deserves its own section. it just isnt as popular as other genres.

the system we have at the moment works. eventually one genre will die down and maybe a new subforum will be added. nu-metal seems to be the one going, but no one can say for sure. will funk replace it? no one can say for sure, but i think that there seem to be other genres more popular with the UG populace.

basicly what it comes down to is what makes the most sense for the wants/likes of the average UG users and what will keep the most conflicts down. combining current subforums and adding a funk/reggae subforum doesnt seem to fit that at all.

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Alrighty then, that is as far as I can say/go.. you mods have the power, so when the time DOES come, please think about sticking funk/reggae in place of nu-metal. It seems like that time is right around the corner.

Andrewbiles
11-26-2006, 08:59 PM
But why funk and reggae?
It just doesn't make sense to have a forum that few people will ever venture into other than to say that they enjoy it and want some recommendations.
The reason blues & jazz are together is because they are the formation of rock, they are generally guitar music, but there just isn't the demand on here for a huge volume of traffic into there, hence they're stuck together. Funk and reggae would be just as empty as the nu-metal forum is now, and in my opinion that should probably become something else soon because of the lack of interest.

Lots of people probably do like funk and reggae music, I know I'm a bit of a funk fan (not a nut, but I enjoy it), but people on here just don't talk about it. It'd be like adding a folk forum in, there are plenty on here that enjoy it (I know a few in the Alt & Indie forum are fans and the Punk & Ska forum), but there's not really enough of these people that would be regular in there to warrant making a forum for it.

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Well, you have to try it or else you won't know for certain. If it fails, then we'll all know that UG wants something else. But I could think of a list of other categories to replace emo, hardcore, or nu-metal.. but it seems like nu-metal is the one that is most likely to go.

And I think funk/raggae would fit alot of groups/artists well and would be a very enjoyable sub-forum.

FrenchyFungus
11-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Since the 9th of November 2005 there have been:

324 threads containing the word "funk" in B&A
184 threads containing the word "reggae" in B&A

They just aren't popular enough, sorry.

Carnivean
11-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Good, that's 508 total threads that could be in that sub-forum.. plus whos to say that the fan base of this genre won't grow once a sub-forum is created? We've obviously seen that this hasnt happened with nu-metal.. there is always a total of 2 people in there at any given time.

Hopefully, in a few years, people won't be discussing this and it won't be a problem. Forums for all main genres of music will hopefuly be available to users on a music site. =\

Wait.. I just noticed that you only scanned B&A for 'funk' and 'reggae'.. there are other parts of this site too lol

Dreadnought
11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Answer's no! Not enough demand for it.

We recognize the demand better than you do, grasshopper.