Top 50 Guitarists vote?

PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Guitarists vote?

SethMegadefan
11-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Here's the backstory:
A user called fake_username had a thread in UG Contribution regarding the 50 greatest guitarists of all time, only the whole list was based on his own personal opinions. So, this got me to thinking: what if everyone on UG could vote on who they thought were the 50 greatest guitarists?
If a mod or someone could tell me that this idea's solid, I'd gladly agree to do all the dirty work. Here's what I had planned:
The voting thread would consist of a hugeass list of possible candidates, and in a post, a member would list their top 50 favorites. It would be a big post, but it'd be like the UG awards kinda, and it'd be very important. Users won't have to pick from the big list; the big list is just a guideline to give users some ideas.
The voting thread will only be open a couple weeks or so, and then I'll count up all the votes. I figure the points will be based on what place each guitarist is in in a post. The guitarist in User1's #1 spot will receive 50 points, the #2 spot will get 49, #3 will get 48, and so on until #50 gets 1 point. I'll do this for every post, adding the points to each guitarist along the way. At the end, the top 50 guitarist with the most points can be easily determined!
So basically, I've got most of the startup work ready. I essentially need approval that this idea would be possible, and then the voting can begin!
Any feedback, as usual, is greatly appreciated. :)

mr_fruitbowl
11-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Sounds pretty cool..but far too much effort...imo not worth it.

UGROQFAN
11-26-2006, 04:54 PM
that was so much to read and I didn't really get it but the top 50 guitarist thing is a good idea :D

sam b
11-26-2006, 04:57 PM
yeah sounds good (as long as i'm in the top 50 :p: )

achiles03
11-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I think it'll work man.

Mantiscabinet
11-26-2006, 05:00 PM
maybe you could make it so people choose their top 15, and then you make the top 50 outta that list...probably a lot easier for you to tally and shit

mr_fruitbowl
11-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Mantiscabinet makes sense...

BumOffBarney
11-26-2006, 05:21 PM
or even make it so that people give 3 points to their fav, 2 to their second fav, and 1 to their third fav then add up all the points that various guitarists got.

SethMegadefan
11-26-2006, 05:33 PM
maybe you could make it so people choose their top 15, and then you make the top 50 outta that list...probably a lot easier for you to tally and shit
This idea was great.
or even make it so that people give 3 points to their fav, 2 to their second fav, and 1 to their third fav then add up all the points that various guitarists got.
But this idea was even better. We'll try this one, then.
Just a quick question: which forum should I put this in? Just Bands & Artists?

SethMegadefan
11-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know why my topic on this in Bands & Artists got closed? I mean, it was an approved idea in here, was it not?
I'd like an explanation, is all. :(

IndieMetalhead
11-27-2006, 12:36 AM
i didnt see an approval. see what colin has to say, or if any mod posted when closing the thread.

ufossuck
11-27-2006, 02:31 AM
So rather than having a list based on one person's opinion that only said person will agree with, we'll have one based on many people's opinions that no one will agree with?

BumOffBarney
11-27-2006, 04:15 AM
i dont know why it was closed in B&A but i dont mind it being in the pit. ill wait for another mod to come in and post what they think before giving you a definite answer though.

16kramer05
11-27-2006, 04:24 AM
I think it's brilliant. It's sure gotten me thinking...

198x
11-27-2006, 08:20 AM
I'd say it's easier with BumOffBarney's idea. It'll be way easier just to do that method than everyone's top 50 (or 15) seeing as alot of people would post.

You could tally up the results in a spreadsheet and post the final 15.

Sounds like a good idea... now all I have to do is convince people to vote Billy Ray Cyrus hehehe

Andrewbiles
11-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Does anyone know why my topic on this in Bands & Artists got closed? I mean, it was an approved idea in here, was it not?
I'd like an explanation, is all. :(

Approved? It wasn't. I explained in the PM why it was closed, but it is again open.

i didnt see an approval. see what colin has to say, or if any mod posted when closing the thread.

Colin?
Sorry, I'm useless with real names on this site, but who's Colin?

Derigiberble
11-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Please don't, who really cares who some random on the internet you've never met before thinks is the best guitarist in the world. It will just end up with somebody like Hendrix, Clapton or Page being top of the list. It's like saying "The best race car driver in the world is Jeremy Clarkson" when it's cleary not the case that he's the best at anything, except maybe being an arse, and even then, he probably gets topped on that list by Jimmy Page. It's just bullshit, and it just leads to arguments. There's no best guitarist in the world.

/Thread.

ufossuck
11-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Please don't, who really cares who some random on the internet you've never met before thinks is the best guitarist in the world. It will just end up with somebody like Hendrix, Clapton or Page being top of the list. It's like saying "The best race car driver in the world is Jeremy Clarkson" when it's cleary not the case that he's the best at anything, except maybe being an arse, and even then, he probably gets topped on that list by Jimmy Page. It's just bullshit, and it just leads to arguments. There's no best guitarist in the world.

/Thread.
Indeed you are correct. These lists are stupid and pointless. Has anyone ever seen a list of the best guitarists that didn't piss people off? It's the same every time, Hendrix takes the first position and all the Led Zeppelin fans get a bee in there ass about how Jimmy Page is the best. And then Lenny Breau, Randy Bachman, Dick Dale and others that were/are way better than Page won't be on there. And then there's alway Kurt Cobain and John Mayer and all those talentless hacks who make it on there.

See, already agruing.

BumOffBarney
11-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Colin?
Sorry, I'm useless with real names on this site, but who's Colin?

moi.

Andrewbiles
11-28-2006, 08:42 AM
^ Ah, sorry about that. Was just a bit confused as I'm the only one (of the normal mods) that can close threads in that section.

Jeremy Clarkson is a legend, leave him alone. He's always been 'Top Gear', without him that programme would've finished in the 90s.

paintITblack39
11-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Its gonna lead to arguments. I suggest it'd be better if we did 'US's Top 50 Favorite Guitarists'. That'd make a little more sense.

DownInAHole.
11-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Good idea...I love Seth.

tubab0y
11-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Its gonna lead to arguments. I suggest it'd be better if we did 'UG's Top 50 Favorite Guitarists'. That'd make a little more sense.

better?

good idea, though. don't call it the best, and no one can argue. we should look for diversity, add in john williams, wes montgomery, and such.