Comp Ideas Thread - Dec/Feb (Inc. Comp FAQ)

PDA

View Full Version : Comp Ideas Thread - Dec/Feb (Inc. Comp FAQ)

The Hurt Within
11-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Firstly thanks to Dylan for running this for a good half a year.

So you have a good idea for a competition? Then here you can tell your ideas to the S&L community, and if you recieve a good response, go and start a sign up thread. This involves outlining the competition rules, (restrictions on structure etc.) themes, (love, death etc.) member requirements (e.g. Newbie comps means only users here for under 6months can enter) etc. And a sign up list, which you should update regularly as members sign up. Then what? When your roster is full, or you have as many competitors as you can keep track of, give them a due date for your pieces. Work within reason, but don't leave it too long either! (Usually its a working week, 5 days)

Types Of Competitions

Newbie Competition
A Newbie Competition is one established just for the new members of the Songwriting and Lyric's community. Usually, eligible competitors are those that have registered after a certain time period. And any type of piece (lyrics, poetry, prose) is eligible for being entered. There is no specific theme that competitors have to follow.

Point Distribution For Newbie Competitions:
1st Place- 3pts
2nd Place- 2pts
3rd Place- 1pt

Quicky Competition
A Quicky Competition is one established to be set up and run quickly. Any member of S&L is eligible to participate, as well as being able to submit any type of piece (as long as it is not ridiculously long). There is no specific theme that competitors have to follow. Pieces are usually due on the date the competition was established, or the day after, so that the poll can go up quick (hence the name).

Point Distribution For Quicky Competitions:
1st Place- 3pts
2nd Place- 2pts
3rd Place- 1pt

Regular Competitions
A Regular Competition makes up the majority of Songwriting & Lyric competitions. Any member of S&L is eligible to participate, but these competitions usually follow a specific theme. An example could be a political competition, where each competitor will have to write a piece about something political, whether it be about war, government, economy, etc.

Point Distribution For Regular Competitions:
1st Place- 4pts
2nd Place- 3pts
3rd Place- 2pts

Super Competitions
A Super Competition are usually competitions that are held around holiday's or designed to be on a special theme. Any member of S&L is eligible to participate, but these competitions usually follow a specific theme. An example could be the Halloween competition, where the theme would be to write a piece that pertains to Halloween in some way, whether it be ghosts, demons, vampires, trick-or-treating, witches, etc.

Point Distribution For Super Competitions:

1st Place- 5pts
2nd Place- 4pts
3rd Place- 3pts

========================================================

Competition Rules

You can be eligible for any competition (as long as you meet requirements, such as for the newbie competition)
You have to submit your piece for the competition by the due date.
NEW RULE- If you do not submit your piece for the competition you signed up for by the due date, you will receive a deduction of 1pt. If you need an extra day due to reasons such as vacations or just being inable to get it in on time, you must notify the competition starter before the due date.
NEW RULE Pt.2- Competition starters MUST notify Jammydude (Jamie) by a PM or posting so in the Points thread for any competitors that did not send in a piece without an explanation so that those people can receive their deduction.

The Grand Championship

The Grand Championship will be triggered when someone hits the (25) point mark. This will halt the start of any new competitions and 1 vs. 1's. All competitions and 1 vs. 1's running during that time will be allowed to finish. No new competitions or 1 vs. 1's will be allow to begin again until the start of the next season. The top 10 will then go into a one of a kind competition, using any piece they've ever wrote, with no specific competition rules. The winner of this competition will be declared The Grand Champion Writer Of (Specific Season). The winner also gets instant access into the next grand championship.

Further Information

Polls need to be "public" this is activated when you create the poll. Towards the bottom of the poll posting thread is a check box 'Make poll public' check that.

The reasoning behind this:

- Clicking this box means that people can see who voted what. So that means there will be NO CHEATING. Now, I don't believe, or I wouldn't want to believe, that anybody here would actually cheat just to win an S&L Comp, but unfortunately, it has happened in the past and the sad truth is that people would cheat just to win a 1v1 against some person on the net. I am pointing no fingers AT ALL. But with this option, it means that people cannot cheat. They cannot.

Seasonal Comps

Further to the suggestion that we should have a seasonal Comp here are other "Holidays" we could have as comps...

Martin Luther King Day - Jan 15th
Burns Night - Jan 25th
Valentines Day - Feb 14th
Chinese New Year - Feb 18th
Presidents Day - Feb 19th
Mardi Gras - Feb 20th
April Fools - Apr 1st
First Day of Spring - May 1st
Memorial Day - May 28th
Longest Day (Summer) - Jun 21st
Labor Day - Sep 3rd
First Day of Autumn/Fall - Sep 23rd
Columbus Day - Oct 8th/12th
Guy Fawkes Day - Nov 5th
Veterans/Armistice Day - Nov 11th
Solstice - Dec 21st
Xmas Day - Dec 25th
New Years - Dec 31st Jan 1st

Dæmönika
11-28-2006, 05:06 PM
May I suggest a quicky comp (once the ones still going are all but finished) revolving around landmarks in various countries? What I have in mind is sending entrants each a picture of a famous landmark and they have to write a pong either about it, or mentioning it.

The Hurt Within
11-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Yes that sounds fine with me, wait until the majority of finals are about to go up before getting this underway. It might be worth allowing the users to choose their own landmarks though. And make it a regular comp too.

stratkat
11-28-2006, 07:59 PM
I have an idea for a comp, although it would probably turn out to be a really bad one. A forced writing comp, threadstarter would pick a date/time, then everyone who signed up would check the thread on that date/time to see what they'd have to write about (threadstarter picks subject), and they'd only have 24 hrs. to complete and turn in there piece. The only good thing about a comp like this is the challenge of writing a peice with a limited amount of time.

I think this would turn out badly because some people wouldn't have anything to submit, and it just doesn't sound like the greatest idea. I don't plan on setting up a comp anytime soon I just thought I'd share this idea.

The Hurt Within
11-28-2006, 08:03 PM
I quite like it, I'd be game, I reckon you should make it -2 points for failure to submit. For the added pressure.

punchupatatigge
11-28-2006, 08:04 PM
I think thats somewhat similar to the Quicky comp.

Anyway, my suggestion is a Romanticism competition. Can be romantic love, but when I say Romanticism, I mean actual Romanticism.

Oh, romantic love poetry would be good for a Valentine's Day Comp. But I really want to do the above one.

#1 synth
11-28-2006, 08:49 PM
I just want to give a big

THANK YOU

to Steve for really stepping up in his modship and getting this forum back on track!

I love that idea strakat, do it. Now.

stratkat
11-28-2006, 10:07 PM
You really like my idea :confused: Okay then I'll start sign-ups sometime next week(or at least until some of the other comps are over), the date will be about one week after sign-ups. I didn't think people would think it would be a good idea, I like the idea about taking away -2 points for late pieces to add pressure, the only problem I have with it now is chosing a date, it would have to be a date where the majority of people here would have nothing to do, like on a Saturday or a Sunday, I want to do it before christmas break, so the holidays won't interfere with the comp.

edit: Also I won't be entering a piece, it wouldn't be fair since I get to pick the subject, I wouldn't cheat but it would be very easy for me to.
I like the romanticism poem comp idea, but wasn't there a good valentines one in the last comp idea thread?

Update on comp: Okay I'm gonna start sign-ups for the Forced Writing comp (name may change) December 8th and I'll give the subject December 15th around 7pm (US central), that way people can have friday night and most of Saturday to write their piece, of course I might change the dates. Does anyone have any objections to the date or time?

Another Idea: I also have another idea for a comp, if people would actually sign up for I'll do sometime in May maybe, my idea is for every entry to write about what they want, poem, or song, the only challenge is I'll pick three letters they can't use, so if I chose S, T, A (that would really make it difficult) they couldn't use any word using S,T,orA. But it just doesn't sound like a good idea, but neither did the last idea to me.

( I didn't want to double post so I just colored the different sections different colors.)

guitarsuperman2
11-30-2006, 01:47 PM
well i like both ideas. in fact im up for the first one. only problem with the second idea is that vowels r used in alot of words...so you if u made the three letters t,s,b it would work a little better, just a thought though. but im definatly up for the forced writing comp

The Hurt Within
11-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Just to let everyone know I am going to be running a comp soon in which you will have no idea what you're signing up for. It will have no information before you sign. Once you have signed you're in without fail. This will be a difficult comp, so dont enter lightly. It will test your abilities.

:D

streetcarp19
12-03-2006, 03:01 PM
^tehe, i like how your evilness shows more clearly through your mod-ship... :p:

Amalgam
12-10-2006, 09:56 PM
I always thought a One-Up Contest would be good. I don't know if this has been done before, but it's a 1v1 that goes like:

1st Person:

Grass is green
It turns brown
Now the flowers
All fall down

2nd Person:

Flowers within the morn
As new daylight comes through the morgue
And a hope for the new century comes fast
Just as the dew on the petals shine like glass

I figured it would be maximum of 20-50 posts (depending on your preference) and in the end, whoever seemed to do the best throughout the thread wins.

Just a suggestion

monstertaco
12-13-2006, 05:15 PM
GREAT IDEA>>> A PARODY CONTEST... PICK A POEM WRITE A PARODY THEN SUBMIT BOTH POEMS FOR PEOPLE TO JUDGE!!!

sory for the dramitic use of caps im just in a loud mood

stratkat
12-19-2006, 01:15 PM
I have an idea, how about a "Thought Shot Comp." The piece would have to have at least one charater, and the piece would keep going from the story to the character(s) thoughts. I'll make the rules more detailed if anyone likes the idea, and I'll have it set up sometime in January.

Edit:Okay in the middle of January I'm gonna run two comps, the comp where you can't use certain letters, and the comp idea above. Unless someone has a problem with either comp, and if you do plz tell me.

songman101
12-24-2006, 03:04 AM
:cool: I would like to go 1on1 for a lyric on homelessnes. It's been done and redone
yet 1 week looking at what goes on in this country ,one will see more than
he wants too. % days starting 26th dec t0 31st.@12.00noon .this is my first post
request. songman101 :cool:

The Hurt Within
01-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Just to let everyone know, if they want a thread revived that I've deleted tell me by midnight tonight, otherwise they're hard deleted, and not even I can revive them!

amy_gail
01-01-2007, 05:43 PM
well here is an idea... you guys could have a comedy comp.... (only if its dedicated to me though ..;)) you basically write a sketch.. it has to be original and has to show some of your personal humor in it... and to be clear you cant just copy jokes....
i dunno if you want you guys could add a theme to it...

Jammydude44
01-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I vote everyone competes in more 1 vs 1s :)

stratkat
01-17-2007, 05:51 PM
I have another idea, how about a N. America vs Europe comp, because most of the writers I see on here are from one or the other.

Here's how I would run it. (although I might completely change it or add more details)
-2 captains, one for each team
-each captain picks 4 team members, giving a total of 5 for each team
-There will be 5 1vs1, team with best three out of five gets 1 point, first team to get 2 points wins.

Dæmönika
01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
While sitting here waiting for Spring so I can get that season's comp started, I thought of something else in the meantime; a Colours Competition, where the main theme is colour, or excessive use of colours as descriptions.

Jammydude44
01-18-2007, 01:58 PM
I have another idea, how about a N. America vs Europe comp, because most of the writers I see on here are from one or the other.

Here's how I would run it. (although I might completely change it or add more details)
-2 captains, one for each team
-each captain picks 4 team members, giving a total of 5 for each team
-There will be 5 1vs1, team with best three out of five gets 1 point, first team to get 2 points wins.

A S+L Ryder Cup?

Loving it. Give it a few weeks and one of us can run it. I will if you feel your too busy?

stratkat
01-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks, if something comes up and I can't run the comp I'll let you know. Oh and I call team captain of N. America, captains can start recruiting team members when I make a thread for it, probably around January 26th.

EDIT: I have another idea that I really like. You'd have to write a song or poem only using lines from old pieces you've posted on S&L. You must have 25 lines, and you can only use up to 5 lines from a single piece, that make it a minimum of five pieces. I'll get more detailed rules in 2 or 3 weeks, or at least sometime after the other comp I'm gonna run is over.

bassbeat77
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM
i have an idea for a comp... and would like some feedback.

it would be based on the game Clue.

each writer would be assigned one of the characters, one of the weapons, and one of the rooms. they would have to compose a piece consisting of at least 4 stanzas describing the murder. the challenge would be that they have to make the who, what, and where obvious to the reader without actually saying the characters name, the name of the weapon, or the name of the room.

there would be a few more details involved i'm sure, but that's the basics of it.... any ideas are welcome.

Dæmönika
01-28-2007, 08:37 PM
May I suggest a quicky comp (once the ones still going are all but finished) revolving around landmarks in various countries? What I have in mind is sending entrants each a picture of a famous landmark and they have to write a pong either about it, or mentioning it.

Forgot about this. Shall I start this when the new season kicks off?

The Hurt Within
01-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes to all those comps. When Season 3 kicks off. Start the quicky comps and the clue/cluedo (eng) comps along with Cliche's inspiration comp. Then once those polls go up, then Kyle get your (old pieces comp) up, I left it later cause its an easy comp to write for and we would benefit from it after the initial comps have began. Then put the N. America/Europe comp up. Since thats a big comp it might be better off going up when the comp section is up and running.

sound alright?

Jammydude44
01-29-2007, 01:07 PM
What I'm suggesting is that this Season, SIII, 1vs1 are kind of different. You can only fight for points if you are in the same tier of the tabel (seperated by people with +pts and people with - pts, those with 0 are in the -pts half). Members fighting for points for the first time are only allowed to play those from the lower tier. This should stop alot of mismatched 1vs1s. Of course, everyone can play whoever for their first match but once your in the table, you can only play people who are in the same tier as yourself.

Competitions I want to have the same number of points going on- 5 for a win, 3 for second place, and 2 for 3/4 placed competitors. This should hopefully people wanting to win more= better quality peices. I would like all comps to be placed to those points.

1vs1s would have to be song-song, poem-poem, short sotry-short story, no mismatches. This again should give each piece a more equal chance.

No-one can stop newbies from appearing, playing for points once and going, so whilst I make a record of every score, I will only write up those who actually hang around the contests forum, unless there is any objection. This just makes the table look that bit better.

The points for not getting in a piece will be to -2, in the hope people will actually get in their pieces.

If you start a sign up thread for a comp, but the polls aren't up within a month, I want at least -4 points taken off, because its a waste of peoples time if they write pieces for it and it never happens. I know a few who were annoyed with this last season, and I would like to see it not happen again in the future.

Me and Steve have done all we can to try and liven up this contests Forum so you can all stop bitching about public polls and newbies voting, points deducted even if your net was down, moaning about comp rules and trying to get them changed, losing interest in your own comps and not starting them, or taking a space in a comp then not getting your piece in. This is a community thing and we need everyone to help out.

Thanks for your time, feedback would be appreciated before I get Season 3 up and running.

stratkat
01-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Yes to all those comps. When Season 3 kicks off. Start the quicky comps and the clue/cluedo (eng) comps along with Cliche's inspiration comp. Then once those polls go up, then Kyle get your (old pieces comp) up, I left it later cause its an easy comp to write for and we would benefit from it after the initial comps have began. Then put the N. America/Europe comp up. Since thats a big comp it might be better off going up when the comp section is up and running.

sound alright?
Yeah, it sounds alright.

The Hurt Within
01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Gd ideas Jamie, I agree with the 1v1 points idea. top tier/bottom tier stuff. Thats cool.

I'm not too keen on the 5pts for every comp, the distinction was between your everyday comp, and then the larger ones. Every day comps being 4/3/2 large comps being 5/3(without a third place score) I dunno, I kinda like that extra point for the larger comps it promotes people to try harder on their pieces for those...ideas anyone?

As for the match-ups poem-poem etc...Thats hard to regulate mainly cause most here have "a style" and cant easily deviate, so again I think it has to be down to the participants. All we can do Jamie, is ask they make them more even.

Every score should be recorded imo, or at least somewhere, if it be on your computer, although some might question that, not that I'm knocking your integrity, this is an internet forum afterall, trust isn't high. Some competitors will play a 1v1 go away then come back, they should be able to check their score.

-2 deduction :D great.

The non-running of a comp is a tough one, sometimes its down to personal issues, while I agree its annoying, and I'm one of them, I take over any comps that seem to be failing, isn't -2 slightly more fair? That and if pieces dont get submitted, or the idea seems like a complete flop, loosing no points?

As Jamie said we're both trying to keep this forum running. But we need your input, we need more comps going up. I ran 5 comps last season just to keep things ticking over. So please understand it cant all be perfectly smooth, this is a wip.

peACE all

circular.parade
01-29-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't see why everything's such a big deal as of late.

Isn't the contest forum there just so people have fun and be in friendly competition with each other? Was the forum going THIS bad during season II? I would have run a comp but there were always like 27897412 ones running at the same time.

Things are starting to be a little too complicated for my taste. I'm afraid this will be seen as "bit.ching" but you asked for feedback.

The Hurt Within
01-29-2007, 05:12 PM
^ well most of those rules/suggestions are already in operation, the only 2 new ideas are the deduction for non-running of comps, which I see as a benefit. And then the issue over recording all the scores, the rest are already rules we're just refining. So its not bitching its your pov, and at least you're taking the effort to put it forwards.

Jammydude44
01-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah I'll record all scores then.

And your points for comps is much better.

circ.parade, you don't need to play for points. I think our main aim here is to bring everyone together, and the season of points does that as it feels like veryone takes part. I think it benefits from being like that.

:)

Stevie, I'm on the ball. Stop being away on MSN :)