Shred in 20 years?

PDA

View Full Version : Shred in 20 years?

Cheesepuff
12-01-2006, 08:04 PM
In 20 years... what do you think would happen to shred? Steve Vai getting white hair to match his JEM? Paul Gilbert actually telling kids to get out of his yard? John Petrucci becoming jazz? (I'm so bored I could hump a couch.....)

duncang
12-01-2006, 08:05 PM
I think it would still be just as boring, bar a couple of artists.

Metal_sky
12-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Its hardly shred, but Angus Young wear pants?

liledman_76
12-01-2006, 08:13 PM
i think it will comeback with a vengence and explode like its some old school thing to do...there will always be artists that replace the 'gurus'...although they might suck ass too...
:S

Godly Moose
12-01-2006, 08:26 PM
In 20 years... what do you think would happen to shred? Steve Vai getting white hair to match his JEM? Paul Gilbert actually telling kids to get out of his yard? John Petrucci becoming jazz? (I'm so bored I could hump a couch.....)

And what's wrong with Jazz?

Cheesepuff
12-01-2006, 08:39 PM
And what's wrong with Jazz?
Nothing, it's just that I predict that when he gets kinda bored of Dream Theater, he will want more complex music.

TooLateForRoses
12-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen won't be butt ugly!

Ha! Like that'll ever happen!

Godly Moose
12-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Nothing, it's just that I predict that when he gets kinda bored of Dream Theater, he will want more complex music.

Ah, oh. :p:

PooKoo
12-02-2006, 01:17 AM
shred will have come and gone again in mainstream music, will be ever popular in some underground styles of music, and will still be looked down upon, whereas any violinist/saxophonist, or other musician of sorts, will be looked at as a virtuouso in the public eye for playing a million notes a second.

Also, G3 will probably include herman li at some point.

Night_Lights
12-02-2006, 01:45 AM
^nah there will probably be a metal-shred version of G3 with the likes of Trivium, dragonforce, and other so called 'shredders'. Ugh!

i think some shredders will infiltrate the mainstream somehow by being in bands that appeal to the mainstream but with obvious virtuosity thrown in. e.g The Mars Volta or something similar.

duncang
12-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Yoshi, I'M Member 9 of the Teabagger's Cult!

:mad:

kirkisking
12-02-2006, 05:12 AM
Definitely gonna suck.

Evil_Empire24-7
12-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Allan Holdsworth would sell more records than Elvis Presley :p:

Cheesepuff
12-02-2006, 08:04 AM
G3 with Herman Li
Well, lets hope he gets a bit more variety in his sound by then.... for it is a scary thought.....

^nah there will probably be a metal-shred version of G3 with the likes of Trivium, dragonforce, and other so called 'shredders'. Ugh!

What's wrong with Trivium?

Resiliance
12-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Even less emotion.

What's wrong with Trivium?

... Shred? No?

Cheesepuff
12-02-2006, 08:20 AM
^Well of course they're not shred but they are a good metal band IMO.

Resiliance
12-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Metal? :p:

Cheesepuff
12-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Metal? :p:
Well scratch that, their songs are cool to me lets leave it at that :D

flamencogod
12-02-2006, 10:23 AM
of course trivium is metal... ascendendy is a bad version of the first metallica albums so that really is metal.

RandallFlagg
12-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Steve Vai will go into the mountains with his JEMs, UVs, and Carvins to live a life of musical solitude, and look much like an older version of himself in the For The Love Of God video.

Kirk Hammett will learn a different scale and techniques other than hammerons and pulloffs and become a shredder.

And SnakeDawg will be renowned :D

garden of grey
12-02-2006, 12:17 PM
shred will have come and gone again in mainstream music, will be ever popular in some underground styles of music, and will still be looked down upon, whereas any violinist/saxophonist, or other musician of sorts, will be looked at as a virtuouso in the public eye for playing a million notes a second.

Also, G3 will probably include herman li at some point.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RandallFlagg
12-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Oh, and Buckethead will turn out to be Chris Farley.

Joey_67
12-02-2006, 01:41 PM
I had a dream with themn relating ...i give that about a 70% chance

Joey_67
12-02-2006, 01:43 PM
this is not really for shred but in 20 years guns and rose will coem out with chines demorcracy...mabe

Godly Moose
12-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Oh, and Buckethead will turn out to be Chris Farley.

:wtf:

Freepower
12-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Rusty Cooley will get better. :eek:
Paul Gilber will get better. :eek:

But in return, old age will get its claws into McLaughlin and Holdsworth, and will kill them within our lifetimes.

Lets hope someone comes worthy to replace them.

Resiliance
12-02-2006, 04:13 PM
On my way.

Godly Moose
12-02-2006, 04:16 PM
I'd say Guthrie, Mattias, and Thal(And of course others, but they'll be the new Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Malmsteen, etc) are probably going to be leading this generation of shred for a while. Because they're still in their mid to late thirties, so they sill have lots of years left, unless something unfortunate happens. This is of course all theory. :p:

mr_clapton
12-02-2006, 09:09 PM
^ I am with the moose man

Cheesepuff
12-02-2006, 09:15 PM
I'd say Guthrie, Mattias, and Thal(And of course others, but they'll be the new Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Malmsteen, etc) are probably going to be leading this generation of shred for a while. Because they're still in their mid to late thirties, so they sill have lots of years left, unless something unfortunate happens. This is of course all theory. :p:
Right, I call dibs on next Petrucci!

chase09
12-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Right, I call dibs on next Petrucci!

:livid:

zebrahead234
12-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Paul Gilbert will give Herman Li lessons on phrasing and note selection, while Sam Totman will give up the beer and look to John McLaughlin for inspiration, and then Dragonforce will reach their full potential.

I wish.

Erich yeung
12-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Well I honestly think the great shredders will die, only to be replaced by half assed semi mainstream ones, such as the before mentioned. But the souls of the dead shredders will be encapsulated (is it a word?) within a soul-sphere. They'll die off one by one via rank. Until the original circle of shredders is complete within the soul-sphere, then it return to the astral plane to remain there for 100 years before the soul of each original shredder will be reincarnated each on a different continent. To begin an underground shred revolution once again, so that people will realized shred within DF and Trivium is not really shred.

yea..........thats exactly how it would go down.........

Neon Knight
12-03-2006, 01:24 PM
The people on this forum would have grown in age and skill, then WE will take command.

kurosawa
12-03-2006, 01:29 PM
shred will die due to the second golden age of nu-metal and be come back again with a young band doing trivium covers and trying to sing just like matt hefty but during the course of the 20 years the words will become blurred like chinese whispers and we'll enjoy the cover of the cover called master of muppets

Andrew Zara
12-03-2006, 01:56 PM
shred will die due to the second golden age of nu-metal and be come back again with a young band doing trivium covers and trying to sing just like matt hefty but during the course of the 20 years the words will become blurred like chinese whispers and we'll enjoy the cover of the cover called master of muppets

I'm pretty sure Nu-Metal will not come back any time soon, it's on it's last leg right now.

Neon Knight
12-03-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm pretty sure Nu-Metal will not come back any time soon, it's on it's last leg right now.

Hopefully it will never come back, it seems that every 10 or so years some new bastardized form of metal gains commercial sucess.

80's: Hair Metal
90's: Nu-Metal
2000's: Metalcore

flamencogod
12-03-2006, 04:13 PM
shred in 20 years?

world domination... you know, the shizzle!

Dean ML Tribute
12-05-2006, 01:31 AM
Players who can shred w/ feeling and not just technique impress me and always will. I was fortunate to grow up listening to Yngwie and unfortunate to hear the many clones thereafter. Joe Stump has the potential and a handful of other guitarists do so also

I am 42 and have played since 1977 so I may look at things differently then the younger crowd. Just like metal, it will never go completely away. The real question is who will be next to take it to the next level. I cannot understand how people can look down on another player who is more technically proficient, usually that is because of jealousy or lack of skill.

Playing guitar is about enjoying yourself and having the right to express and share it. You don't have to like it but respect it for what it is

I listen to Baroque organ right through to the most brutal music and find good things in them all to learn from. A guitar has only so many possible notes, the truly creative can utilize those notes in ways most of us may never approach but still inside makes you shake...

I have seen and met Yngwie in person many times over the years and arrogant or not (he was actually a great person to talk with and was quite willing to discuss technique), there is very few who can match his prowess and none that I know of that capture his style and intensity fully. He had the same burning desire to play just like all of us so in that we can all relate

The best guitar player is an innovator, everyone else is just a copycat

Look at it that way and a greater appreciation of playing styles comes into focus

Freepower
12-05-2006, 03:45 PM
The best guitar player is an innovator, everyone else is just a copycat.

Look at it that way and a greater appreciation of playing styles comes into focus

Gotta disagree. Firstly with the statement, then with the logic.

Shurely you'd only end up with a greater appreciation with the originators of the playing styles? And perhaps less appreciation of the others?

Personally, i think yngwie's a better player than his clones, and thats why he's the best. But some other playing styles have players that far exceed the originator in every respect - i mean, Hammet or Cooley? ;)

Resiliance
12-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I don't give a shit who started what - I only care about who I like more.

bbqBBking
12-05-2006, 05:41 PM
I can see Guthrie Govan becoming a major name in shred.

hepzibahbaptist
12-05-2006, 07:00 PM
I think we will find a cure for ALS and Jason will come back and then shred will become mainstream then it will get lots of wannabees and die out.

Godly Moose
12-05-2006, 07:18 PM
I can see Guthrie Govan becoming a major name in shred.

Govan, Mattias, and Thal are probably going to be more then likely be the next big things.

paddyo
12-05-2006, 07:19 PM
I think the wannabe arguement is shit tbh. There's been tons of Maria Carey/Whitney/M.J Blige wannabe's over the years. None of them last. Sure they'll get the 15 minutes of fame but that's the case in any field,as it would be if instrumentalists became more accesible or mainstream...

EDIT: Has shit been taken off the swears block??

mr_clapton
12-05-2006, 07:46 PM
i dont know....i didnt used to be able to say shit.....shit it feels good to be able to say shit

hepzibahbaptist
12-05-2006, 07:55 PM
yall are def. spamming this great subject. jk :peace: But I think wannabes will kill shred.

subzero3009
12-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Shred prolly will die. Think about it....

All of this new music sucks IMO. I mean some of the stuff that is underground is good, but the mainstream today is total emotionless crap. I wish they could bring back shred and real guitar playing like EVH, Paul Gilbert (When he was in Racer X), Yngwie Malmsteen, Jimmy Page, and all of the great guitar players. But based on how the mainstream is and how its all about the money and very little talent now. Like rap and new music on MTV. Looks like real music is going to die, or its just going to not barely be around nemore. I doubt you can bring back fully the original great gurus of guitar.

Freepower
12-06-2006, 03:04 PM
^ You're basing your opinions on whether SHRED will die on whats happening to the MAINSTREAM?

Thal, Guthrie, Paul Gilbert, EVH, Yngwie and Greg Howe, Holdsworth and Rusty might take umbrage with what you have just said, good sir!

subzero3009
12-06-2006, 04:02 PM
The thing is that shred is dying. Based on alot of the field of rock and shred as it used to be it has gone to h***. I am basically saying that there cant be a rebirth of the great shredders from the 80's. Basically anybody that doesnt play guitar doesnt give a flying f*** bout shredding. I know from my end of the woods anyway. People in my area and basically everywhere around could care less. Its all about some damn rap and all tht stupid bulls*** that shouldnt even be on the radios and stuff. But i mean the influences of todays music seems quite limiting. Unless you want to venture into death metal and things of that sort like i had to, to find people that are worth a f*** in music.

Scorzerci
12-06-2006, 04:04 PM
well Shred hasn't been in the mainstream for a good 10- 15 years now and I think it's as good as it ever was. I think that it can still go strong for quite a while without mainstream attention.

Resiliance
12-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Shut up. "Real music"... Please.

Godly Moose
12-06-2006, 07:08 PM
The thing is that shred is dying. Based on alot of the field of rock and shred as it used to be it has gone to h***. I am basically saying that there cant be a rebirth of the great shredders from the 80's. Basically anybody that doesnt play guitar doesnt give a flying f*** bout shredding. I know from my end of the woods anyway. People in my area and basically everywhere around could care less. Its all about some damn rap and all tht stupid bulls*** that shouldnt even be on the radios and stuff. But i mean the influences of todays music seems quite limiting. Unless you want to venture into death metal and things of that sort like i had to, to find people that are worth a f*** in music.

Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions Opinions

Cheesepuff
12-07-2006, 06:45 AM
You know what, that dude's got a point. Most the new music takes almost absolutely no talent to be played (except for a few really good bands). And with most guitar tab sites shutting down, and less people uploading shred to the internet, and cd stores putting mainstream cds in their shelves to sell, in 20 years, shred would become a myth. We would be like the jedi in Starwars episode 4.

Dear God, let me be wrong....

But if I am right, then after we find the cure for ALS, Jason Becker will rise and become Obi-Wan and some lucky bastard gets to be Luke (let it be me plzzz)....

...and Tony McAlpine would be Mace Windu :D

subzero3009
12-07-2006, 08:21 AM
The main reason i say shred is going to die because of mainstream is if you think about it. How many cd stores that are not online really have any good shred albums? Very few from what i have seen and i have been to alot of them. Mostly all they have is mainstream bulls*** and rap. I do agree with cheesepuff though about the some good new bands can shred. But as it comes to the mainstream.... its just crap. They cant play, they fake it, if they dont its just really repetitive and they would know a D minor from an F sharp. And that is a large difference. Anyway, i just am saying that basically anything you see that most people like simple plan, good charolotte, new hoobastank, and all of that is just garbage now. They all sound the same in guitar and vocals. And the lyrics dont mean anything. All they do is b**** now.

paddyo
12-07-2006, 09:48 AM
^Eh, "shred" music is being sold in all the big stores I go to now. Ok so most of them just have Vai and Satch and maybe Petrucci with DT in the metal section but more of them are stocking Gilbert, Yngwie, Friedman etc....

But as it comes to the mainstream.... its just crap.
Saying all mainstream is crap is like saying everyone in America is crap at life.

And wtf is all this about Simple Plan and Pop Punk bands like that!? I mean, stuff like that comes with every wave of music. I'm sure people were bitching about ripp off Django's with no talent or "E"(you know the word) in the 50's. They're not threatening the future of ****ing music, jesus. What, are instrumental Guitarists and fusion players and even their fans just going to drop off the face of the earth? Think.

They all sound the same in guitar and vocals
Yeah so does Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert. :rolleyes:

subzero3009
12-07-2006, 03:45 PM
^ At least paul gilbert and steve vai are worth a flying f***. All this new band bull*** is just a bunch of worthless, talentless (along with hip hop and rap), and 100 percent stupid sh** that takes nothing more then looks and stupid chicks to follow it. If you look at a simple plan conert or nething. Most likely, once again MOST LIKELY, not all.... If you see a guy at a mainstream concert like simple plan or ne of that trash on MTV he is a friggin faggot. Plain and simple.

psychodelia
12-07-2006, 04:28 PM
along with hip hop and rap

Ahh yes, because you certainly have the lyrical ability to equal the best of what rap has to offer. Listening to a few hits on the radio doesn't make you an expert on an entire genre.

If you see a guy at a mainstream concert like simple plan or ne of that trash on MTV he is a friggin faggot. Plain and simple.

Homophobic too. Then again, I didn't really expect anything better after reading your posts.

metal_man12
12-07-2006, 04:45 PM
^ At least paul gilbert and steve vai are worth a flying f***. All this new band bull*** is just a bunch of worthless, talentless (along with hip hop and rap), and 100 percent stupid sh** that takes nothing more then looks and stupid chicks to follow it. If you look at a simple plan conert or nething. Most likely, once again MOST LIKELY, not all.... If you see a guy at a mainstream concert like simple plan or ne of that trash on MTV he is a friggin faggot. Plain and simple.

paul gilbert and steve vai are worth a flying fuck because they appreciate all the "100 percent stupid shit".

paddyo
12-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Do us all a favour and stop speaking rubbish. What has your ignorant opinion got to do with this topic?

Godly Moose
12-07-2006, 09:26 PM
The main reason i say shred is going to die because of mainstream is if you think about it. How many cd stores that are not online really have any good shred albums? Very few from what i have seen and i have been to alot of them. Mostly all they have is mainstream bulls*** and rap. I do agree with cheesepuff though about the some good new bands can shred. But as it comes to the mainstream.... its just crap. They cant play, they fake it, if they dont its just really repetitive and they would know a D minor from an F sharp. And that is a large difference. Anyway, i just am saying that basically anything you see that most people like simple plan, good charolotte, new hoobastank, and all of that is just garbage now. They all sound the same in guitar and vocals. And the lyrics dont mean anything. All they do is b**** now.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7529687&postcount=53

garden of grey
12-07-2006, 09:36 PM

Nay, gilbert just made my favorite album of his EVER. And Ron thal is awesome too.

And shred has never been THAT popular, i mean they had new wave in the 80s to kill talent as so on.

aeginotu
12-07-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't think shred will die out, it's way too difficult to just kill a brand of music.
I honestly can't think of any brand of music actually completely dying out, it just hangs by threads.

mesa_92
12-10-2006, 06:26 AM
this is my opinion
i dont think any music genre really comes big its just at a certain age you start liking different genres of music
e.g. me (btw im 15 now)

10 - i liked rap and RnB
12 - i stated listening 2 nu metal bands like linkin park, system of a down
14 - i realised there was a thing called guitar solos and stated listening 2 thrash metal eg Metallica, Pantera
after thrash metal it was more onto metalcore bands like trivium, Bullet for my valentine
and just recently ive been listening 2 more shred music like dream theater, Vai, and Satch

"Tele" Steve
12-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Shred is dead.

mr_clapton
12-10-2006, 06:29 AM
do you mean shred as in fast or shred as in virtuoistic playing?

Resiliance
12-10-2006, 06:39 AM
do you mean shred as in fast or shred as in virtuoistic playing?

The latter - ofcourse.

mr_clapton
12-10-2006, 06:43 AM
Then I would choose to disagree with that, although its not going to make you a massive start to be unbelievably good on your chosen instrument as long as someing is attempting to reach that level I would feel that "shred" is not dead.

Stratwizard
12-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Actually, shred is getting more popular and I think it will peak somewhere around in 10 to 20 years.

PooKoo
12-10-2006, 10:14 AM
this is my opinion
i dont think any music genre really comes big its just at a certain age you start liking different genres of music
e.g. me (btw im 15 now)

10 - i liked rap and RnB
12 - i stated listening 2 nu metal bands like linkin park, system of a down
14 - i realised there was a thing called guitar solos and stated listening 2 thrash metal eg Metallica, Pantera
after thrash metal it was more onto metalcore bands like trivium, Bullet for my valentine
and just recently ive been listening 2 more shred music like dream theater, Vai, and Satch

maybe at age 15 you'll realize that 2 is not a word.

plus182
12-10-2006, 10:19 AM
is the music industry so corrupt as to have trends, of shred being in the 80, so then it must come back to popularity in 2010?! whats up wit dat?

PooKoo
12-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I think everyone should go appreciate the genuis of rap music.

subzero3009
12-10-2006, 11:14 AM
My opinon has to do with what is true. New music ****in sucks man. Especially rap, it has no real instruments and the singers ****in suck. End of story, shut the **** up.

PooKoo
12-10-2006, 12:36 PM
You're wrong.
Leave.

TheUltimateSin
12-10-2006, 12:52 PM
My opinon has to do with what is true. New music ****in sucks man. Especially rap, it has no real instruments and the singers ****in suck. End of story, shut the **** up.

*cough*arrogant asshat*cough*

And by the way, rappers don't sing. They rap. Dumbass :rolleyes:

Resiliance
12-10-2006, 12:54 PM

I love how you generalise "new music". Listen to the Esbjörn Svensson Trio or something. Then YOU shut the **** up, or continue demonstrating your incredible ignorance. Up to you.

Oh no, wait, you can't. You've just gotten your second warning... = Ban.

Bye bye, idiot.

jagstang270
12-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Shred in 20 years? I expect it to go to weird places, and I expect Matt Bellamy of Muse to start the revolution.

TheUltimateSin
12-10-2006, 12:58 PM

Bye bye, idiot.

Roflskates.

Anyways....I don't really know where shred will be in 20 years. But I've noticed that Paul Gilbert has been getting more noticed, at least around where I live, and being recognized for what he does. And with Thal getting the attention he did.....who knows where else this could go..

Godly Moose
12-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I love how you generalise "new music". Listen to the Esbjörn Svensson Trio or something. Then YOU shut the **** up, or continue demonstrating your incredible ignorance. Up to you.

Bye bye, idiot.

:cheers:

bucky_2300
12-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Next 20 years?

Some people will die.
Some cool new people will come about.
Some people will retire.
Some people will switch paradigms completely.

Same thing that happens no matter what.

Dyer's Eve
12-15-2006, 09:36 PM
I think shredders will disintegrate paper rather than turn them into thin vertical strips.