active bass vs passive bass

PDA

View Full Version : active bass vs passive bass

monster_of_rock
12-03-2006, 05:25 AM
what is the differance between an active bass and a passive bass? :confused:

is it true that passive basses don't slap?

how can i learn to slap in a short period (techniques)? PS: i don't play notes

henza_x
12-03-2006, 05:45 AM
how can i learn to slap in a short period (techniques)? PS: i don't play notes

really? are you serious?

how do i learn how to be a marathon runner,
p.s. i dont like sweating

FunkMaster
12-03-2006, 08:04 AM
I think he means he can't read music notation?

Active basses are said to be easier to use for slap, to get a better sound... But I've used both for it and it just depends on the tone you dial in.
Active basses have an active pe-amp in them so you can cut and boost your tone. They require a battery. Passive basses don't so you can only cut tones away.
Another big difference: passive basses hum, actives don't...

jazz_rock_feel
12-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Overall actives are considered better I think. They are usually more expensive and/or are a specialty model (fender deluxe active P-bass etc.). They use a battery and have more.... control, I guess would be the word, you can really tweak it more... I don't know it's hard to explain Funk explained it better

John Swift
12-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Go to a music store and ask for a passive and an active Fender and then try them you'll soon see the difference which is quite considerable, one important thing, you must try them through a full range setup to see the true benefits of active basses, by this I mean have a least a horn/tweeter in the cab.

FbSa
12-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Actives are alot better with controlling the sound through the bass itself, while passives, not so much. Also actives will usually be alot louder when you play them, hence the Active/Passive inputs on most bass amps.

maggotblood16
12-03-2006, 08:20 PM
passive r great if you can use it right. i haeva bass trainer and i can chose whether i want active/passive and i like passive. most pro bassist use passive it sounds fuller if u know what i mean.

ai4281
12-03-2006, 08:56 PM
I find that passives are more responsive to your playing where as actives shape the tone too much sometimes...
and batteries suck... when batteries start running out, EQs don't work, bass sounds like shit, sometimes it distorts... (pukes)... its ugly

John Swift
12-04-2006, 01:15 PM
I find that passives are more responsive to your playing where as actives shape the tone too much sometimes...
and batteries suck... when batteries start running out, EQs don't work, bass sounds like shit, sometimes it distorts... (pukes)... its uglyAre you trying to be helpful or just chipping in?
Your first paragraph assumes active Basses have a brain, they don't!
Your second paragraph about batteries is well left alone and ignored.

Funkmaster summed things up very well, what I advise is people who don't really know read what he has written.

crazypeanutman
12-04-2006, 02:52 PM
i can switch my bass from active to passive, comes in handy if the battery goes.

not sure if its truely active, but it does give it a considerable boost and it sounds like other active basses.

Applehead
12-04-2006, 03:04 PM
^ can you boost your bass and treble? if so it is active. my marcus miller has a switch too, very handy indeed and i have actually had to use it once too.

crazypeanutman
12-04-2006, 05:14 PM
well, it has treble and bass knobs, but when i switch it on i get a better trble and bass range, so i guess that is active.

chocolateman900
12-04-2006, 05:25 PM
well, it has treble and bass knobs, but when i switch it on i get a better trble and bass range, so i guess that is active.

What bass do you play?

crazypeanutman
12-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Hohner V bass. they pop up on ebay a lot.

hatebreed219
12-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread, BUT, my bass is the Fender Deluxe Active P. It has passive pickups but active electronics, so should I plug into the active or passive input?

I feel kind of dumb asking this to be perfectly honest.

crazypeanutman
12-04-2006, 08:23 PM
active, it'll be fine. that means that the pre amp is still active, but the pick up set up is still wound like a passive. it has to do with how the poles of the magnets are wrapped.

TGM
12-05-2006, 12:16 AM
^ That depends, alot of active basses aren't hot enough to need to go into the active input. Unless you're getting distortion or excess noise from using that passive input, it's fine and using the active input will only lower your volume for no good reason.

hatebreed219
12-05-2006, 11:23 PM
I plugged into the active jack and it was a little, but not much louder, and the overall tone sounded hotter and meaner. I'll stick with that one from now on.

Kobrakai
12-06-2006, 01:01 PM
I have both an active and a passive. I prefer the active bass as it has a far greater range of tones.

Sly Taco
12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I have both also, kinda torn between the two