Small hands = Bad guitar player??

PDA

View Full Version : Small hands = Bad guitar player??

AngryGuitarist
12-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Yeah i was wondering what the dis-advantages are and the advantages..

my hands are about 8-9 inches tall from wrist bone to tip of finger. but i can stretch them out a ways...can this be a problem?!

aixelsydevahi
12-05-2006, 09:48 PM
You'll just have to hold the neck in a manner which will let you reach all the strings. It shouldn't stop you.

I_Pwn
12-05-2006, 09:50 PM
I guess it could make things harder, but it doesn't count you out for being a great guitarist.

Draken
12-05-2006, 09:51 PM
My hands are 6", i can play my bass just fine.

Martyr's Prayer
12-05-2006, 09:52 PM
No, no individuality = bad guitar player.

$Guitarist$
12-05-2006, 09:52 PM
My uncle has shorter fingers than me and im 13, and the guy is amazing and he can play fsater/cleaner and can stretch his fingers further than mine.

KickOutTheJamsX
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
are you kidding..? my hands are only 7-8 inches..

you shouldnt have a problem

AngryGuitarist
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah, i would think that its the stretch that matters..

archangels
12-05-2006, 09:55 PM
I've been to a wax museum in Vegas where they have an imprint of Clapton's hand. My hands are bigger than his are.

Trust me, I'm not better than Clapton.

AngryGuitarist
12-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Would you guys consider a "stretch" being on the low E string, The pointer finger placed on the 3rd fret, then the middle finger placed on the 5th and the ring finger on the 6th?

DeSean
12-05-2006, 10:04 PM
My hands are the same size as my previous girlfriends :( My mum bought me some gloves, size small - medium, and they were to big :sad:

I wouldn;t say I'm a bad guitarist though.

I_Pwn
12-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Would you guys consider a "stretch" being on the low E string, The pointer finger placed on the 3rd fret, then the middle finger placed on the 5th and the ring finger on the 6th?

Not too bad, I can only get my middle finger to the 6th from that position.

Nikki Sixx
12-05-2006, 10:11 PM
what about those people with no hands? If they can do it without hands, you can do it with small hands.

I have small hands too, about 6 in. , but I can still play with no problems

Hangar18
12-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't think you can correlate the two. My left hand, from your definition, is 9.5 inches long. I know a few guitarists who have smaller hands one of whom I would consider a better player than me. But then again, a lot of famous guitar players have huge hands like Hendrix, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai etc. Technique, practice, "soul", and humbleness make a great guitar player, not hand size. To prove my point, Tony Iommi played with a handicap (mutilated finger tips)

jeff00
12-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Hand size does matter at all. You are good if you practice and take guitar seriously.
My hands are the same size as yours wich is very average and not small at all. I have cero problems playing with them. My teacher has incredibly small hands llittle less than 6" inches and he plays like god

thundrstruk891
12-05-2006, 10:37 PM
my hands are 7 1/2 to the middle finger, and i get by

thundrstruk891
12-05-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't think you can correlate the two. My left hand, from your definition, is 9.5 inches long. I know a few guitarists who have smaller hands one of whom I would consider a better player than me. But then again, a lot of famous guitar players have huge hands like Hendrix, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai etc. Technique, practice, "soul", and humbleness make a great guitar player, not hand size. To prove my point, Tony Iommi played with a handicap (mutilated finger tips)

humbleness.
nobody ever seems to acknowledge this, but it is very important not only in music but in life in general. kudos to you my friend.

RyanInChains9
12-05-2006, 10:51 PM
8-9 inches isn't very small hands, actually they are quite large.

Constantine
12-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Do small hands matter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHM4A4orIvE

No.

andrew12398
12-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah, they're actually pretty big, I have 6 1/2 inch from my wrist to the top of my fingers and I'm pretty decent.

Smokey Amp
12-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Yngwie has small, fat hands and look at him. I honestly don't think hand size is an issue with guitar playing. I don't have huge hands and I'm a proficient guitarist.

That's not exactly a stretch, just a normal scale pattern. Even:

E|-3-5-7-|

Shouldn't be a "stretch" as it's just another normal scale pattern. I'd say 3-8 would be a "stretch".

Dreadnought
12-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Small hands are no excuse; Joe Satriani has small hands.

Actually, so does John Williams, and his technique is renowned to be perfect, and he plays some pretty ridiculous pieces.

Smokey Amp
12-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Small hands are no excuse; Joe Satriani has small hands.

Satch has just average sized hands. They're neither big nor small.

Zar Mulix
12-05-2006, 11:43 PM
what exactly is an average sized hand?

Dreadnought
12-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Satch has just average sized hands. They're neither big nor small.
Ok, thank you captain pedantic-smartass.

How exactly you are defining average-sized hands, btw, is completely beyond me, and my capability to care.

Smokey Amp
12-05-2006, 11:45 PM
what exactly is an average sized hand?

A hand the size of an average male's hand? Someone either has small hands, large hands or just normal (average) hands. Don't tell me you can't tell?

Ok, thank you captain pedantic-smartass.

How exactly you are defining average-sized hands, btw, is completely beyond me, and my capability to care.

I was just stating that you were incorrect, there's no need to get defensive. As I said above, it should be obvious who has small, normal or large hands.

Dreadnought
12-05-2006, 11:48 PM
^ Uh huh.

Alright then, understood. But my point stands; I myself have small hands, or at least they used to be small for my height, and I'm a fairly proficient guitar player both on the modern guitar and in the classical style.

Smokey Amp
12-05-2006, 11:51 PM
^ Uh huh.

Alright then, understood. But my point stands; I myself have small hands, or at least they used to be small for my height, and I'm a fairly proficient guitar player both on the modern guitar and in the classical style.

I agree with your point. I have small hands also, and I still think of myself as a proficient guitarist. As I said earlier, I don't think hand size is an issue with guitar playing. I just wanted to point out that Satch doesn't really have small hands.

So, yes, you probably would be right in calling me a pedantic smartarse. :)

search49
12-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I heard somewhere that George Harrison used a guitar with a 3/4 size neck, and he turned out okay...

Anyway, it's not the size, it's the coordination that's important.

Liam Alan
12-06-2006, 02:57 PM
are you kidding..? my hands are only 7-8 inches..

you shouldnt have a problem

Yeah, same here. You are fine. Wrist to middle finger on me is about 7.5 and I can barre and fret with my thumb while playing.

im_hungry
12-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Hand size doesnt matter , big hands could even be a problem. If you gave buckethead a normal size guitar chances are it'd be a pain in the arse for him because of little frets and such.