Joe Satriani / Pat Metheny

PDA

View Full Version : Joe Satriani / Pat Metheny

LosMentos
12-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi!

I'm about to write a music project, so I chose to kind of analyse the music and style of Satch and Metheny, and from there to find differences and similarities in their music and technique (like metheny doin a lot of horn-like phrasing and joe is more into shredding and tapping).

So far I've found Third Wind from Pat and Surfing With the Alien from Joe! Both songs are from 1987.. so that's a similarity.. and they also have a lot of tones and scales in common.

But the reason why I'm writing in here, is to hear if any of you guys could propose som other songs from these two artist that would be good to compare? I know most of their music, but I cannot really think of anything that could match up!

Maybe if the songs are in the same key, rythm or anything?

Please help me out here...

Evil_Empire24-7
12-06-2006, 08:06 PM
no common thing between these guitarists.

PooKoo
12-06-2006, 10:41 PM
everyone uses the same scales, rhythms, for the most part.

In fact, everyone bases everything off the same notes.

You're going to have to come up with something a lot better than that, such as influences, since lyrical themes and thel ike would be hard to work with.

bbqBBking
12-06-2006, 11:38 PM
no common thing between these guitarists.

I like to lick my own balls even though it doesn't always work.

LosMentos
12-07-2006, 04:37 AM
I like to lick my own balls even though it doesn't always work.

yeah.. I'd say that too ;)

@PooKoo

Of course I know that they use the same notes.. but still their phrasing is a lot different.

And Satch also uses pitch axis so he's got a totally different approach on his solos than Metheny. So yeah they use different scales and changes ;)

But I'm still looking for another two songs!!

Stratwizard
12-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Go buy their albums and listen yourself. It's your project.

Resiliance
12-07-2006, 12:40 PM
And Satch also uses pitch axis so he's got a totally different approach on his solos than Metheny. So yeah they use different scales and changes ;)

Dude... Not really. Pitch axis theory is used a LOT in jazz, only there it's just called modal jazz. Same thing. Listen to So What... Two chords, 124908982358235 scales.

Kris_man
12-07-2006, 06:49 PM
What the hell is pitch axis?

SilentDeftone
12-07-2006, 10:22 PM
The basic idea is playing different modes over a common tonality, if I remember correctly.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187159

-SD :dance:

Godly Moose
12-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Dude... Not really. Pitch axis theory is used a LOT in jazz, only there it's just called modal jazz. Same thing. Listen to So What... Two chords, 124908982358235 scales.

Made me lol.