Babyshambles and Pete Doherty

PDA

View Full Version : Babyshambles and Pete Doherty

robbie
12-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Has anyone heard the new(ish) EP 'The Blinding', or some of Pete's new solo stuff like 'Unstookietitled' or 'Delivery'? If you have, what do you think of it?

Just to keep the thread sensible, please no comments about him being a junkie, because we all know he is but this thread is solely about the music. Secondly, if you disliked The Libertines, and hate Babyshambles anyway, say so. It'll keep things easier to judge.

mulletman500
12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
The Libertines only had a very few good songs, Babyshambles are shit, Doherty was completely crap at Live8 and I hate everything he says and everything he does. I can't wait till he ODs.

shifto
12-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I reviewed the Blinding EP for my college's radio station a few weeks ago. While I'm not a big fan of Babyshambles, or anything much post-Up The Bracket, I thought it was pretty decent. Showed a range of styles too, I'm sure one of the songs was almost ska-ish, and The Blinding itself is catchy.

StuartR
12-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Up the Bracket is amazing. Anything after is mostly kinda boring, heard good things about this new one though.

untitled039
12-07-2006, 11:05 AM
I only heard the title track of 'The Blinding', but it was really good

Encore_God
12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
It's hard to discuss his music, because he clearly doesn't care that much about it. What I've heard of his music is a long way from brilliant with only a few basic insights into modern life. The man patently is not a genius, he is average.

Abe
12-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Yeah, thought Up the Bracket was good, there were a few decent tunes on the Libertines, and I hate Babyshambles.

It's all going downhill for me, and I imagine the trend may well be continuing - though I haven't heard anything new, so can't really judge. I won't really be listening out for it, either.

Abe
12-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Yeah, thought Up the Bracket was good, there were a few decent tunes on the Libertines, and I hate Babyshambles.

It's all going downhill for me, and I imagine the trend may well be continuing - though I haven't heard anything new, so can't really judge. I won't really be listening out for it, either.

VoodooChild15
12-12-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm curious about Babyshambles myself. I've recently been obsessed with the Libertines, and I dig Dirty Pretty Things as well. What's so different about Babyshambles that inspires such hatred? I haven't really explored any of it yet, but I want to know if its worthwhile at all before I blow any money.

Godzilla1969
12-12-2006, 09:58 PM
The Libertines= Pretty good
Babyshambles= Boring/Unoriginal
Pete Doherty= Horrible, horrible person

sirpsycho85
12-13-2006, 01:37 AM
he writes good songs, but needs people to help him put it together. a solo acoustic CD would have been far better than babyshambles because its just a ragged disc. a lot of songs like "the whole world is our playground", "beg steal and borrow" would have made a much more interesting disc. libertines are my favorite band in years, and i love the self titled almost as much as UtB. while its not as consistent, its best songs are just as good as UtB. He still has the songwriting gift i think, i just hope the production and people around him on whatever he chooses to do next can steer him to making good music, not just good songs.

is there a free place to hear the new stuff? im very interested, but in the US id probably need to buy an import and that costs a lot.

Ricky90
12-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Listen, If NME are still producing Libertines calendars 2 years after they broke up. That demonstrates what an impact they made on music. Pete Doherty might be a twat but his music still inspires loads of people.

skoll 11
12-13-2006, 08:39 AM
I listened to "The Blinding" and it is great.
Really hard to play. Not as easy as Mando Diao and not as melodical but more artful.
Pete is a poet.
Only few parts of great melos. Everytime you think: "What´s that? Boring crap!" there comes such a great part and it all starts to make sense.

onlyonehere
12-13-2006, 10:32 AM
From an objective point of view if you ignore the whole Doherty is a junkie thing I can see why people like him. However I don't think he's done anything original for music and he's certainly not as ground-breaking as people claim.

robbie
12-13-2006, 02:23 PM
is there a free place to hear the new stuff? im very interested, but in the US id probably need to buy an import and that costs a lot.

Well if you search around for (I'm not kidding) 'Stookie + Jim - Bumfest demo's' then you'll get a whole bunch of solo tracks, mostly new; there are torrents avaliable on babshambles.net; there is pretty much everything free that exists on albionarks.com; there is some stuff at andrewkendall.com somewhere; 'The Blinding EP' is a proper release, however, so you can't (legally) get it free.

From an objective point of view if you ignore the whole Doherty is a junkie thing I can see why people like him. However I don't think he's done anything original for music and he's certainly not as ground-breaking as people claim.

I think The Libertines really helped popularise their style of music over here (UK) when they followed the sort of example The Strokes set. They have certainly influenced many many bands that are around now. It is impossible to imagine a lot of what you see around these days without The Libertines. That's what I think anyway.

onlyonehere
12-14-2006, 12:15 PM
I think The Libertines really helped popularise their style of music over here (UK) when they followed the sort of example The Strokes set. They have certainly influenced many many bands that are around now. It is impossible to imagine a lot of what you see around these days without The Libertines. That's what I think anyway.

Essentially what the Libertines have done is spawned a load of rip-off bands. Thankfully they're dying out although the Fratelli's and The View still exist.

I still stand by my original point that the Libertines are very devoid of originality.

robbie
12-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Essentially what the Libertines have done is spawned a load of rip-off bands. Thankfully they're dying out although the Fratelli's and The View still exist.

I still stand by my original point that the Libertines are very devoid of originality.

Well they were partly responsible for the whole genre in Britain. Maybe not the first, but certainly influential in the whole genre. Its all opinion really, but I see them as the pinacle of the indie genre in Britain.

DeSean
12-16-2006, 09:44 PM
I thought the EP was pretty good. Theres one song on there (I can't rememebr its name), but it really stood out, it was great. Sounded like The Specials at first, or maybe something Larakin Love would do.