squier strat agathis vs alder

PDA

View Full Version : squier strat agathis vs alder

heavybloozer
12-07-2006, 07:39 AM
i found two squier strats at my local guitar shop that are cheap as dirt and both play and sound great .
one of em is a squier affinity made of alder and the other one is a standard strat mad of agathis..-...noq my question which is better or what the heck is the difference between alder and agathis--which of em is cheaper made??????
thanks for any replies

ps no a original fender is not an option

High_o
12-07-2006, 07:43 AM
alder is better, but i'm not sure how agathis sounds
Real Fender Strats are mostly made of alder, so you'll prob;ly want the alder one

Mwoit
12-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Agathis is a low quality sounding wood, inferior to Mahogany. Often used in low budget guitars. People often describe the sound as dull.

Alder is a good quality sounding wood, quite bright. Obviously the wood in the Squier won't be as amazing as the MIA ones, but it's still better than agathis.

Go for the alder :)

Fender_tele=sex
12-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Well the affinity series is the budget guitar from squire but I have one and it plays asgood as any Fender product its just its a bit heavier and cheaper, but I feel tht agathis wood feels brittle.
But good guitars either way=]

Mwoit
12-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Well the affinity series is the budget guitar from squire but I have one and it plays asgood as any Fender product its just its a bit heavier and cheaper, but I feel tht agathis wood feels brittle.
But good guitars either way=]

Affinity series is actually alder. Got one downstairs which my bro modded :)

joshua029
12-07-2006, 07:52 AM
alder body dude, sounds great and is light in weight...

Weybl Himself
12-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Agathis just doesn't have any character, it's quite playable but needs some fancy EQ to sound really good.

I bought a Squier Affinity Fat Strat about a year ago as a backup guitar. The thing that hit me was how little it sounded like a cheap guitar, with a little look on the Squier website I found it was the alder body, I dropped an old ESP LH-100 pickup into the bridge to get a little more output and see how it'd go and I gotta say, for a backup guitar, it sounds bloody good. From what I've found the only thing that lets down the Alder bodies Squiers is the pickups, apart from that, they're actually not half bad.

johnos
12-07-2006, 08:14 AM
One thing that has been niggling at me brain for the last few weeks is. Why on earth, does the standard series, which cost more than the affinity series, have an agathis body while the affinity series have alder?

From the whole Squier Strat line up, there is the affinity series which has an alder body, and the deluxe series which has the H-H and the H-S-S models with mahogany bodies and the S-S-S model with a basswood body.

The deluxe series you would want to hope they had decent bodies.
But why do the standard series have shitty bodies and the affinity series have good ones.
Or is it higher quality agathis in the standard, and lower quality alder in the affinity series?

Weybl Himself
12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
One thing that has been niggling at me brain for the last few weeks is. Why on earth, does the standard series, which cost more than the affinity series, have an agathis body while the affinity series have alder?

From the whole Squier Strat line up, there is the affinity series which has an alder body, and the deluxe series which has the H-H and the H-S-S models with mahogany bodies and the S-S-S model with a basswood body.

But why do the standard series have shitty bodies and the affinity series have good ones.
Or is it higher quality agathis in the standard, and lower quality alder in the affinity series?

From what I found, the fat strat was the only Affinity with an alder body, but I may be wrong. Other than that I have no idea, even crappy alder has more character than "good" agathis. It really is a puzzle.

heavybloozer
12-07-2006, 10:17 AM
thanks

quote:
Originally Posted by johnos

But why do the standard series have shitty bodies and the affinity series have good ones????????????

strange isnt it

i mean the standards are more expensive
maybe its the pickups

untitled039
12-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Squier Strats are shit, get a Tele

johnos
12-08-2006, 01:11 AM
From what I found, the fat strat was the only Affinity with an alder body, but I may be wrong. Other than that I have no idea, even crappy alder has more character than "good" agathis. It really is a puzzle.

Nup, according to the website the whole affinity series have alder bodies.

But hmmm.......bit of a mystery eh. I'd rather a guitar with an alder body seeing as you can upgrade pickups, but you can't upgrade the woods in your guitar

Strato Various
06-14-2009, 09:47 AM
There's a very good reason why the Affinity series guitars have Alder bodies, they are widely considered garbage by anyone who knows anything at all about guitars, and are the absolute lowest quality, bottom of the heap of the Squier line, which is a low budget line to begin with.... Alder, being a somewhat heavier and denser wood offers better sustain for the tight budget zit faced teen buyers who only want to play screaming distorted metal and three string power chords.... :D Alder delivers better sustain but at a cost of authentic strat tone, and thats why the better quality more expensive Squier guitars use either Agathis or Basswood in the bodies, because it delivers better pure Strat tone, ie. the fabled "strat quack". Lets face it, a Strat style guitar is not the best choice for the "Metal" sound anyway.... for that you are far better off with a Les Paul style guitar with a thick Mahogany body, set neck, and humbucker pickups. Rock on kiddies. ;)

Blompcube
06-14-2009, 10:37 AM
I would've thought that it was basic knowledge to understand that organic materials such as pieces of wood will vary even though they are the same species. It's like the difference between the guy who has a balanced diet and regularly exercises Vs the nerd who sits in his bedroom in front of his computer eating nothing but big macs. Both are human, but one is stronger and more healthy than the other. The same goes for pieces of wood such as alder. There's good alder and there's bad alder. Basically the stuff they use in squiers is the lower grade stuff, and is not necessarily any better than the agathis they use - just different. Unfortunately i don't think a lot of people take this into account.

stratdud39
06-14-2009, 10:51 AM
just because alder in general is the better wood, it doesn't mean its the better wood in the squier...
;)

JELIFISH19
06-14-2009, 10:51 AM
I would take a good agathis body over a poor alder body any day. The wood species really doesn't matter as much as people think. It will have a different tone, but since when is different bad? The quality is more important. Just look at basswood. Basswood is usually reserved for the lowest end of guitars, about one step up from agathis. But good basswood is great. Look at all the good basswood guitar players: Satch, Vai, Gilbert, Van Halen, Petrucci. Squire doesn't have great quality control, so you could get a good or bad piece of agathis since they're not used in any other guitars. If you go with alder, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a bad piece since the good stuff will go to Fender. If they feel and sound great, just play them more (through a good amp) and see which sounds better to you.

Tackleberry
06-14-2009, 12:53 PM
The big difference is an alder MIA guitar is gonna be 2 or 3 large pieces of alder, vs the squire alder which is gonna be many smaller scrap pieces. I have the agathis body on my standard squire stripped down for painting its really hard to count how many pieces of wood are used for the body. Some are little strips only 1" wide. With another thin veneer piece on the front and back faces for what ever reason. Im tempted to put a set of EMGs I have in it as they dont seem to be so sensative to the wood used. I wish the pickguard on my 83 strat would just drop in the squire so I could see if there was a huge dif in the tone.

Blind In 1 Ear
06-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Agathis just doesn't have any character, it's quite playable but needs some fancy EQ to sound really good.

I bought a Squier Affinity Fat Strat about a year ago as a backup guitar. The thing that hit me was how little it sounded like a cheap guitar, with a little look on the Squier website I found it was the alder body, I dropped an old ESP LH-100 pickup into the bridge to get a little more output and see how it'd go and I gotta say, for a backup guitar, it sounds bloody good. From what I've found the only thing that lets down the Alder bodies Squiers is the pickups, apart from that, they're actually not half bad.
word. i bought a used affinity strat and was surprised it didnt sound too bad. im in the middle of modding it. im putting a new neck on and new pickups. so TS, go for the alder. better wood first of all and it will be a decent guitar to mod later on. new pickups will help a bunch and a lot of people do that.

Dawnwalker
06-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Affinity series is actually alder. Got one downstairs which my bro modded :)
its glued alder
->not so muchsustain due to glue=cheaper
unlike the 1-piece alder bodys which the fenders have

Thomme
06-14-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of agathis. Agathis sounds dull, listless and boring to me. When Squier started producing all those P-basses with agathis bodies, instead of Alder, I gave 'em a twirl and was very disapointed in the bass' tones. Same goes for guitars. There's a certain sweetness that alder (even cheap alder and poplar) and ash give you that basswood and agathis just can't match, or even come close.

I'd personally prefer a cheaper alder guitar than a more expensive agathis guitar.

Oh, also: I'm gonna pop this is.
Squire Affinity Strats = 2-5 piece alder bodies
MIM Standards = 2-5 piece poplar bodies
MIA standards = 2-3 piece alder bodies
MIA ash bodies = 1-3 pieces of ash

The agathis bodies... I have no idea how many peices they are, but it makes little difference because of how dull agathis is to begin with. Even if a guitar is 5 pieces of wood glued together, if it's a good wood, it'll sound better than a solid slab or worse wood.

JELIFISH19
06-14-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm not a big fan of agathis. Agathis sounds dull, listless and boring to me. When Squier started producing all those P-basses with agathis bodies, instead of Alder, I gave 'em a twirl and was very disapointed in the bass' tones. Same goes for guitars. There's a certain sweetness that alder (even cheap alder and poplar) and ash give you that basswood and agathis just can't match, or even come close.

I'd personally prefer a cheaper alder guitar than a more expensive agathis guitar.
And I suppose that's why Petrucci, Vai, Gilbert, Satch, and Van Halen all play basswood guitars.

Thomme
06-14-2009, 01:32 PM
And I suppose that's why Petrucci, Vai, Gilbert, Satch, and Van Halen all play basswood guitars.
The tone they go for and achieve is very different from that which I like. Basswood is very devoid of a good "woody" tone or brightening the tone like Ash would. Because of this, they get very cutting electric tones that don't get "woodied" up. It's just a different type of sound.

But guys like SRV, Mayer, Collins and Guy all use alder and ash bodied strats...

Why you gotta be confrontational about the fact that alder and ash brighten up the tone and get you a more "woody" sound than basswood and agathis do? It's the truth.

Strato Various
06-14-2009, 01:41 PM
.... I have the agathis body on my standard squire stripped down for painting its really hard to count how many pieces of wood are used for the body. Some are little strips only 1" wide. With another thin veneer piece on the front and back faces for what ever reason.....
It just goes to show the wide variation to be found in the Squier guitars. My Agathis bodied Special Edition Cherry Sunburst consists of 3 pieces, the grain of which match up very nicely, but if you look closely you can clearly see the joints. The Affinity guitars are overwhelmingly crap, and even if you upgrade everything on them they are still crap. If you want a Squier, then spend a few more coins and get a standard or deluxe model, then you can still upgrade it if you want, and your money will be far more effective and wisely spent.

The tone they go for and achieve is very different from that which I like.
Yes, well that pretty well sums it up doesn't it... :D

When Squier started producing all those P-basses with agathis bodies, instead of Alder, I gave 'em a twirl and was very disapointed in the bass' tones. Same goes for guitars.
This an apples versus oranges comparison.... the tonal requirements for a Bass guitar are quite different from a 6 string guitar, but you already knew that, didn't you...?? LOL :D

demilieu
06-14-2009, 05:25 PM
fenders were ash, alder or poplar i think. which is the best? i think leo fender chose those woods over say maple or even mahogony is because they were inexpensive woods. agathis seems a bit denser than basswood. basswood is pretty soft, but some like it's lightweight because it's not hard on the back when you're on stage for a long time. early mosrites had basswood bodies. i think the first squires in the 1980's had plywood bodies, so basswood or agathis is, i'd say, an upgrade from that. most japanese fenders have basswood bodies. so, on and on we go...baseball bats are usually ash...where is this leading??? leo fender made guitars in anaheim using minimum-wage (mostly mexican) laborers. the prototype broadcaster/esquire-to become the tele-had a solid pine body. i think he'd think it's pretty funny that people are spending $2000 and more for a new made in merica strat or tele-thy were both designed to be very low cost guitars, in contrast to what gibson and epiphone were mking. in the mid 1970's, a new cbs strat or telecst about $225 with case....any wood can sound great if the electronics are good and the guitar is set up well and played through a good amp. both agathis and basswood take a sunburst finish nicely. lightly sand the 'squire' decal off, buy some amber neck toner, re-laquer the neck...add a fender waterslide decal...drop in a set of fender american or duncan pickups if you want...

reo1togo
08-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Don't listen to Strat Various. I've never heard a snob that sounded more stupid. Agathis sucks! Do me a favor Strat Various and go to Musician's Friend and type in Custom Shop Fenders. You know the ones that cost aroung $8,000 bucks. Tell me how many of those guitars you see that has an Agathis body. If you've ever owned one that Strat Various tells you how much more superior that Agathis is versus Alder tell me if you have gotten any type of tone out of that worthless wood that sounds anything close to a Fender with an Alder body. There is nothing you can do to make that dull sounding lifeless piece of wood sound better. Then tell youself how stupid you were to buy an Agathis body and wait till winter so you can start you're fireplace and throw that Agathis body into it. At least you will get some heat from it. I can't believe they let these idiots post these statements. The next thing he will tell you that it's normal to hear buzzing when you're not touching the strings on a Fender. A well setup shielded Fender will sound like you're playing humbuckers with absolutely no noise.

monwobobbo
08-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Don't listen to Strat Various. I've never heard a snob that sounded more stupid. Agathis sucks! Do me a favor Strat Various and go to Musician's Friend and type in Custom Shop Fenders. You know the ones that cost aroung $8,000 bucks. Tell me how many of those guitars you see that has an Agathis body. If you've ever owned one that Strat Various tells you how much more superior that Agathis is versus Alder tell me if you have gotten any type of tone out of that worthless wood that sounds anything close to a Fender with an Alder body. There is nothing you can do to make that dull sounding lifeless piece of wood sound better. Then tell youself how stupid you were to buy an Agathis body and wait till winter so you can start you're fireplace and throw that Agathis body into it. At least you will get some heat from it. I can't believe they let these idiots post these statements. The next thing he will tell you that it's normal to hear buzzing when you're not touching the strings on a Fender. A well setup shielded Fender will sound like you're playing humbuckers with absolutely no noise.

agree. Strat Various you shame all strat players with your nonsense. as mentioned high end strats are alder or ash (or a combination of both). this is where the strat sound is found. look it up sometime.

now i personally don't find agathis to be all that bad and it makes a reasonable substitute for mahogany on cheaper guitars. don't see it as a good strat wood though. keep in mind that low end guitars usually have crap pickups and that is more to blame for poor sound than the wood. agathis with decent pups sounds fairly decent. all woods are graded so i'd expect that the squier's alder is much lower grade than the fender ones.

tonello
08-28-2011, 12:35 AM
In the end, doesn't really matter. The wood actually has very little (at that) to do with the final sound on the guitar. The wood is not what's making a sound to the amp, it's the electronics. The reason why Squires sound so cheap, is because they use cheap electronics, cheap wire, and cheap pickups. So the only time wood should ever be a big issue, is when the finish is transparent, and you can see the grain. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

gregs1020
08-28-2011, 01:01 AM
thread was started in 2006...