Wolf Parade(Not Wolfmother)

PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Parade(Not Wolfmother)

Room On Fire
12-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Anybody ever hear of them? I just bought their cd and its ****ing fantastic. We have no tabs of them on here though. For you guys who haven't heard of them but like indie pop/garage rock you will be extremely pleased because they kick ass. http://myspace.com/wolfparade
Theres their myspace page, my personal favorite song is Shine A Light.

SupImJimmy
12-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah, they're great. Anything Spencer Krug (sp?) touches is gold, it seems.

ledzep1023
12-07-2006, 07:41 PM
i perfer steppenwolf out of all the wolf bands

Godzilla1969
12-07-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone here has at least heard of them. They were a huge buzz band around last year or so. Personally, I think they are brilliant, but I prefer Sunset Rubdown (Spencer's other band, for those who don't know). "I'll Believe in Anything" is a beautiful song.

Doolittle
12-07-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone here has at least heard of them. They were a huge buzz band around last year or so. Personally, I think they are brilliant, but I prefer Sunset Rubdown (Spencer's other band, for those who don't know). "I'll Believe in Anything" is a beautiful song.
that's the song i heard and i just fell in love with it, i'm looking to buy one of their albums, any suggestions?

Godzilla1969
12-07-2006, 11:04 PM
^Well, they only have on full length album out, so you should definately pick that one up. They also have a few EP's floating around somewhere; one of them is quite easily available, the others not so much anymore.

starsnostars
12-07-2006, 11:16 PM
i saw them a few months ago. i don't really like their album and thought i might like it more after seeing them live, but i probably dislike them even more now.

Godzilla1969
12-07-2006, 11:18 PM
^Really? I was going to see them live in August but couldn't at the last minute. I've heard they were great though... What didn't you like?

Tsunoyukami
12-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I love these guys! I bought their album a few months ago after looking for a while to find it cheap.

In the end I got Apologies to the Queen Mary (Wolf Parade) and Pablo Honey (Radiohead0 for $25 (Canadian) when I could only ever find them 20$ each previously! I recommend erveryone here to check it out.

peanut head
12-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Ive only heard "modern world", but its great.

starsnostars
12-08-2006, 12:04 AM
^Really? I was going to see them live in August but couldn't at the last minute. I've heard they were great though... What didn't you like?
i don't think i was in the right mood that night, and their songs just seemed off. and not in the raw way i would have expected. they played their songs like a cover band with no talent. i did get the setlist though, and a few photos and videos that i never uploaded to youtube because the sound was pretty bad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/vonbrigdum/wolf2.jpg

Godzilla1969
12-08-2006, 12:06 AM
^That's a great pic. Did you take it?

starsnostars
12-08-2006, 12:13 AM
yeah

Godzilla1969
12-08-2006, 12:15 AM
That's really cool. It's a good photo.

starsnostars
12-08-2006, 12:16 AM
if i can find the disc i put them on, i'll try uploading a video from the show that night so you can see what i mean

Godzilla1969
12-08-2006, 12:17 AM
^That'd be great; I'm curious as to what they sounded like.

lo fi nights
12-08-2006, 02:55 PM
yes we've heard of them...

lukkrazy
12-08-2006, 03:40 PM
so many Wolf names...GuitarWOlf, Wolfmother, Wolfparade...
oh wait, is this band that noise-rock duo??
from Montreal?

I've heard alot about them

----------
help me win the MARIANAS TRENCH contest! clickage belowwww!
http://m30.ca/contest/.marianastrench.lukkrazy.imbanner.jpg (http://m30.ca/contest/?marianastrench?lukkrazy)

bobjewell87
12-08-2006, 04:05 PM
really love that 'ill believe in anything' song ,should get their album

pumpkins_rule
12-08-2006, 06:15 PM
oh wait, is this band that noise-rock duo??
from Montreal?

I've heard alot about them

----------
help me win the MARIANAS TRENCH contest! clickage belowwww!
http://m30.ca/contest/.marianastrench.lukkrazy.imbanner.jpg (http://m30.ca/contest/?marianastrench?lukkrazy)

No that's Death From Above 1979 (I think.)

Godzilla1969
12-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Dont' forget Wolf Eyes... weird band, but pretty good if you're in the mood. Also, no Wolf Parade is not a noise rock duo.

#1 synth
12-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I <3 Sunset Rubdown. Shut Up I am Dreaming of a Place Where Lovers Have Wings is so beautiful...

As far as Wolf parade goes, uh, I would use the search :)

Godzilla1969
12-08-2006, 10:55 PM
^Yes, I actually prefer Sunset Rubdown. They are more original and experimental, plus I like Spencer's voice better than Dan's. Empty Threats of Little Lord, They Took a Vote and Said No, and Shut Up I'm Dreaming of Places Where Lovers Have Wings are all brilliant.

astonmartin
12-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Im listening to sunset rubdown right now haha i also prefer spencers voice because it sounds like mine haha but dan does some really cool howling sorta backing vocals that sound soooo cool.

i_strum_i_drum
12-09-2006, 11:41 AM
I'll believe in anything.

Shine On...
12-09-2006, 08:53 PM
^Yes, I actually prefer Sunset Rubdown. They are more original and experimental, plus I like Spencer's voice better than Dan's. Empty Threats of Little Lord, They Took a Vote and Said No, and Shut Up I'm Dreaming of Places Where Lovers Have Wings are all brilliant.

I also like Sunset Rubdown better. All those songs you listed are gold from that CD.

Krug's other project though (Atlas Strategic) is not my favorite. Although, aparrently he is in another band called Swan Lake, with the girl from Frog Eyes, and a guy from Destroyer. I heard that they are great, has anyone heard them?

Oh, and Wolf Parade are fantastic, I was humming "I'll believe in anything" all throughout work today. :)

Doolittle
12-09-2006, 09:21 PM
i just got the "Apologies to the Queen Mary" and i'm very happy i got it, it's execellent

#1 synth
12-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Swan Lake is pretty damn good in my opinion but out of the three I think they are the worst (which means they are still good). So the order goes:
1. Sunset Rubdown
2. Wolf Parade
3. Swan Lake

if you wanna check out swan lake look for the song 'Are You Swimming in Her Pools' it should give you a taste of what they are like.

bobjewell87
12-10-2006, 01:57 AM
dear god, just heard some sunset rubdown today. amazing

Godzilla1969
12-11-2006, 10:40 PM
^I know. They are just terrific.

pumpkins_rule
05-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Wolf Parade is by far the besy wolf band. And I also finally downloaded a Sunset Rubdown song (I love ATTQM) and wow, it is great. For some reason I fall in love with every canadian indie band I hear, probably because I live in Canada but man. Over the past three days I've downloaded a song each from Destroyer, Frog Eyes, The Besnard Lakes and SR and they're all amazing.

Monkeygone2hvn
05-19-2007, 07:30 PM
anyone listen to handsome furs(dans other band)? i saw them last fall open for modest mouse and i really like them. i just got the album recently and i really like it.

Shine On...
05-19-2007, 09:07 PM
I was wondering about buying the album. How does it compare with Wolf Parade's Album?

RHCP94
06-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Wolf Parade is by far the best wolf band.
I'm pretty sure this should be etched in stone some where. They're a great band. Apologies To The Queen Mary is great.

Shine On...
06-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know when their new one is out?

uhh_me?
06-07-2008, 03:55 PM
very soon. the 17th in fact.

not huge on Wolf Parade, but everything else this gang is involved with is great.

Shine On...
06-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I can't wait for the new one actually. I want it baaaaaad!

European Son
06-07-2008, 06:53 PM
It's that band with the guy who has a enourmous 'fro. They sound like Led Zeppelin.

(it was a lousy attempt at being funny.)

Monkeygone2hvn
06-07-2008, 08:13 PM
the new albums is really good, I reccomend it to fans. favorite track I think is maybe fine young cannibals, but really they're all good.

#1 synth
06-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm seeing them soon.

Dragon Master
06-09-2008, 05:19 PM
They have an interesting sound. I think that personally, their vocalist does conjure David Bowie to mind, but their sound is very unique.

Oguchi Onyewu
06-12-2008, 09:47 PM
yes. new album kicks ass

Oguchi Onyewu
06-12-2008, 11:16 PM
shine a light is one of the best songs ever. found the through some skating vids on youtube actually haha
haha ironically, shine a light is the only song i skip on that album

jallas
06-20-2008, 01:01 PM
yes. new album kicks ass
i'm so confused with their new album, is it out already? someone told me it was out last monday (i've been out of the country for like 2 motnhs), but i couldn't find it, then amazon said it's out THIS monday 23rd? maybe that's jsut UK that it's out next week, and it was last week in the US, or itunes or something?

anyway i preordered it off amazon for next week, so hopefully will come soon. i can't wait, i loved the first album so so much. shine a light is my favourite song too!

Shine On...
06-20-2008, 04:41 PM
haha ironically, shine a light is the only song i skip on that album
WHAAAA!? Thats one of my favourite songs on the album.

Quab
06-20-2008, 05:08 PM
yea ive heard of them, they sound..........alright, i mean i know not every bands gonna be the next nirvana and just break out with a new sound and be all amazing, but they seem kinda like every other band out there, they are still good, not too original

pumpkins_rule
06-20-2008, 08:56 PM
yea ive heard of them, they sound..........alright, i mean i know not every bands gonna be the next nirvana and just break out with a new sound and be all amazing, but they seem kinda like every other band out there, they are still good, not too original

Wolf Parade is way better than Nirvana.

DayTripper1967
06-20-2008, 09:04 PM
^ ha, not. i like wolf parade too, so you can't call me an elitest nirvana fan boy.

anyway, i haven't got the new album yet, but i have apologies and i really like modern world, shine a light, and i'll believe in anything.

Shine On...
06-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Wolf Parade is way better than Nirvana.
So true. Way better.

#1 synth
06-21-2008, 04:07 AM
i'm so confused with their new album, is it out already? someone told me it was out last monday (i've been out of the country for like 2 motnhs), but i couldn't find it, then amazon said it's out THIS monday 23rd? maybe that's jsut UK that it's out next week, and it was last week in the US, or itunes or something?

anyway i preordered it off amazon for next week, so hopefully will come soon. i can't wait, i loved the first album so so much. shine a light is my favourite song too!

Hi Alice! :)

New album is excellent. Kissing the Beehive is my new favorite song I think, doesnt feel like an eleven minute song at all.

And I know it's stupid to compare bands by saying one is better than another but I would pick Wolf Parade over Nirvana any day of the week.

jallas
06-21-2008, 05:14 AM
, i mean i know not every bands gonna be the next nirvana
yeah, thank goodness

Hi Alice! :)

New album is excellent. Kissing the Beehive is my new favorite song I think, doesnt feel like an eleven minute song at all.

And I know it's stupid to compare bands by saying one is better than another but I would pick Wolf Parade over Nirvana any day of the week.
hallo! ooh i am looking forward to getting my hands on it now. and then i hope they tour the UK sometime soon :)

uhh_me?
06-22-2008, 10:33 PM
the new album didn't strike me upon first listen. it just made me wish that Sunset Rubdown and Handsome Furs had released separate albums...

i'll give it another shot tomorrow.

madefortvmovie
06-23-2008, 03:15 AM
wolf parade is great. my favorite songs would have to be lousy pictures and shine a light (from their ep). i'll believe in anything is a fantastic song as well though. i also really like frog eyes (the band spencer was in prior to forming wolf parade).

daniel741
06-23-2008, 06:52 PM
i love the song ill believe in anything. I tried looking for the new album but its not in any of the record stores i go to. Or in walmart... Ill just buy it off of Itunes

Oguchi Onyewu
06-24-2008, 12:30 AM
dear sons and daughters of hungry ghosts is my favorite.

Shine On...
06-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Totally snagged the new album today. I ripped it and put it on my mp3 player but haven't listened to it yet. I'm going to listen to it on my plane ride tomorrow all at once so I can see what I think of it. :)

masterdeveice
07-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Wolf Parade is a great band. Rocking... but with a calming flow

Tsunoyukami
07-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Alright, so on Friday I went out to apply for jobs and I was in both Best Buy and HMV and neither store had any copies of At Mount Zoomer so I was upset. Hopefully I will find it soon.

RHCP94
07-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Finally picked up the new album. It's pretty great. I like Apologies... better, but it's still very listenable and not at all a letdown.

Monkeygone2hvn
07-07-2008, 04:18 AM
i like it quite a bit, i find it takes a few listens to really sink in and now i think i like it better than apologies.

#1 synth
07-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Saw them last night here in Portland. probably going to be my last concert here for at least a year (going to college and all). i had tremendous expectations for them. they exceeded all of them.

they didn't try to be showmen and they didn't try to win us over, they just played they're hearts out and we (a group, people who all loved where they were at the moment, and therefore, a community) absorbed and felt it.

just a great time. and for once it actually was made better by the fact that i was 100% sober.

best concert i've been to, and that's beating out both the flaming lips and dj shadow, both of which were amazing and tied in first until last night.

:cheers:

07-18-2008, 04:26 AM
oh man, i was at the portland show the other night as well, it was one of the best shows ive been to recently (those shows including blue scholars and yacht)

i totally called the encore songs right before they came on also

TommUK
07-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I love the new album, some songs still haven't grown on me yet but give it time..
Wish they'd play a couple of shows in england too

jallas
07-19-2008, 07:13 PM
finally got my hands on the new album. i like it. it's not as immediate as the first one, and it's taken me a few listens to really get into, but i do really like it.

right, uk shows please.

#1 synth
07-28-2008, 03:37 AM
(those shows including blue scholars and yacht)

i totally called the encore songs right before they came on also

I wish they played Dinner Bells as part of their encore though, my only real complaint.

And the Blue Scholars were great.

:cheers:

TommUK
08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Good news UK fans, just read they're playing Manchester, Dublin and London later this year..actual dates and venues are on the subpop site..

jamie h
10-28-2009, 04:10 AM
check out sunset rubdown
the singer out of wolf prades other band
its even better
idiot heart
trumpet trumpet toot toot II
the mending of the gown
they are some good songs

Alex1422
11-14-2009, 06:31 PM
No that's Death From Above 1979 (I think.)
Actually, its probably Handsome Furs, Dan Boeckner is in them.

uhh_me?
11-14-2009, 07:43 PM
you realize you are responding to a post that would be able to speak in short sentences if it were a person?

in the past couple months, i really came around on Apologies... that run of the first 9 songs, just wow.

thucydides
11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
wolf parade is fantastic- I saw them live two years ago high off my ass and it was transcendent. sunset rubdown and handsome furs are great, too.

if you get the chance, see handsome furs live. they played for free in Detroit over the summer and they really know how to perform with energy and charisma.

best song is kissing the beehive, btw. :)

katphish
11-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Apologies To The Queen Mary is totally awesome! Haven't listened to their new one at all.

I'd take you where nooooooobody knows you and nobody gives a damn either way!

It is imperative that I'll Believe in Anything gets played at maximum volume any time it comes on. The Sunset Rubdown version of it is effing crazy, I like it, though.

EvanPepper
11-18-2009, 03:59 PM
They really are great. Ive seen them twice in portland; great high energy shows. Their first cd is miles ahead of the newer one. I think they are about you put out a new record, so who knows. and yes, Ill believe in anything is their greatest song.

What are peoples thoughts of handsome furs?

Sguit
11-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey, another Wolf Parade lover here, at first I found them quite weird but they grew up on me, Apologies is second in my favorite albums list after Bloc Party's Silent Alarm. And they are from my city! Geez there is so much good local bands around here, and Wolff Parade is one of them. I hope their upcoming cd will be better than their second, and maybe even better than Apologies if that's even possible (who knows?!)

lkngro
11-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I recently listened to their earlier EP's and their different versions of the songs on Apologies are pretty cool.

However, Kissing the Beehive still remains my favorite Wolf Parade song.