Question about Mr. Steve Vai

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Mr. Steve Vai

Paper Snowman
12-10-2006, 08:48 PM
:confused: What kind of Boss Ds-1 is Vai using these days? I heard that he stopped using the Keeley modded ones and went back to stock. Is this true?

Prophet of Page
12-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Analogman modded, I believe. He was using the stock for a little while though I think.

bucky_2300
12-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah, it's Analogman now. Vai is ridiculously particular about his sound though - there's a certain section of the G3 2005 DVD on the soundcheck where if you turn up the volume high and listen in, you can hear Steve and Joe discussing OD pedals to put in front of their amps. (Yes, I actually pay attention to these things.) Vai was talking about using a Tube Screamer for some songs (Because it isn't as fat sounding) but using mostly his DS-1.

garden of grey
12-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Yeah he uses an old DS-1. It is modded a ton and buying one of the new pedals wont sound a think like his without modding

Prophet of Page
12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah, it's Analogman now. Vai is ridiculously particular about his sound though - there's a certain section of the G3 2005 DVD on the soundcheck where if you turn up the volume high and listen in, you can hear Steve and Joe discussing OD pedals to put in front of their amps. (Yes, I actually pay attention to these things.) Vai was talking about using a Tube Screamer for some songs (Because it isn't as fat sounding) but using mostly his DS-1.

If you think he's particular, check out Eric Johnson.

bucky_2300
12-11-2006, 08:05 PM
I'll one up you and submit Robert Fripp's rig. http://guitargeek.com/rigview/396/

This isn't even at its height... Vai described it as being like three refrigerators tied together during the G3 tour. :eek:

Resiliance
12-12-2006, 07:46 AM
I'll one up you and submit Robert Fripp's rig. http://guitargeek.com/rigview/396/

This isn't even at its height... Vai described it as being like three refrigerators tied together during the G3 tour. :eek:

It's not about SIZE... It's about how perfectionist they are - what batteries, cable direction, all that nitpicking.