Classical inspired piece

PDA

View Full Version : Classical inspired piece

RPotts
12-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Ok, so my friend came up with this semi cool arpeggio and I ran with it, and added some lead and a "verse." I'm just not sure where to go with it now. Into like a "chorus" or maybe a bridge. But I have no idea. Any ideas/crit?

EDIT: Newer version is in post 3

aprescott_27
12-11-2006, 02:44 AM
Hey, a fellow Kansan! I grew up in Wichita.
I like what you have so far. Going to the refrain next is the next logical step, and I think maybe what you ought to do for the verse is the acoustic guitar at measure 9 without the lead and then add it in for the refrain. And maybe stick an arpeggio based off the intro in the refrain as well.

So it would go like
Intro m1-8 Acoustic Arpeggio (4/4)
Verse m9-? Acoustic Chords (3/4)
Refrain m?-? Acoustic Chords, Electric Lead (3/4)
Verse again
Refrain again, this time add an arpeggio like the intro.

Care to crit my latest? Link is in my sig.

RPotts
12-11-2006, 04:49 AM
OK, so i added a refrain and changed up the verse a little.

aprescott_27
12-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Yeah, I like that. Something you might want to think about is taking the volume on the string ensemble down a notch and taking the volume on the acoustic up a notch in the refrain. It sounded like the strings were drowning out everything a bit too much. But yeah, that sounds good.

Something else you might want to think about is resolutions and cadences. When you do the B-C with the lead over the G-C chords, that is a very strong cadence, and one that belongs at the end of a phrase. I think you would be better suited changing the C note to something else in the C major chord, like E or something that doesn't give as strong a cadence. Now, at the end of the phrase you want to do that with the Em-Am change. You'd want G-A notes over those Em-Am chords. And for added effect, make the Em an E7 and make it a G#-A note change. Does that makes sense? If it does, try it out and see how you like it. If it doesn't, I'll see if I can explain it better.

mattvl
12-15-2006, 09:37 PM
I just gotta say that I listened to this without trying to be too critical, put it on behind everything else I was doing on the computer at the time just to let it flow without really examining it...and I gotta say I love it. Reminds me of a Final Fantasy style ballad but focused into a solo piece rather than a backing score. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one comes along.

rkay
12-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey, a fellow Kansan! I grew up in Wichita.
I like what you have so far. Going to the refrain next is the next logical step, and I think maybe what you ought to do for the verse is the acoustic guitar at measure 9 without the lead and then add it in for the refrain. And maybe stick an arpeggio based off the intro in the refrain as well.

So it would go like
Intro m1-8 Acoustic Arpeggio (4/4)
Verse m9-? Acoustic Chords (3/4)
Refrain m?-? Acoustic Chords, Electric Lead (3/4)
Verse again
Refrain again, this time add an arpeggio like the intro.

Care to crit my latest? Link is in my sig.
im from kansas too, live in wichita right now