So apparently Indie music is only for people pretending to be cool

PDA

View Full Version : So apparently Indie music is only for people pretending to be cool

pumpkins_rule
12-12-2006, 08:55 PM
:haha

Maybe the drug czar teamed up with some major labels?

http://dld34.streamos.com/e663c7b4608b9a69fa10d0ad988fba65-452d3fdb/1165971146/300/34/mov/0/0/0/568da485ffc1ecd7f7c59731756b17cd/ondcp100606_jenny.mov

Discuss this disgustingness.

the_astronaut
12-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Page not found..?

deluxity
12-13-2006, 02:26 AM
i have to download a quictime movie, i'll pass

DorkusMalorkus
12-13-2006, 10:34 AM

Maybe the drug czar teamed up with some major labels?

http://dld34.streamos.com/e663c7b4608b9a69fa10d0ad988fba65-452d3fdb/1165971146/300/34/mov/0/0/0/568da485ffc1ecd7f7c59731756b17cd/ondcp100606_jenny.mov

Discuss this disgustingness.
The video didn't work, but based on the title of the thread, I will construct a post.

I was telling a friend of mine about Joanna Newsom on myspace, and this is what I said:

She is folk-ish, and folk is making a big comeback in an indie way. It'll earn you indie points if you love her or hate her. It doesn't matter which. There are two ways to play it off:

"I love Joanna Newsome's voice, it is so fresh and original. Her simple songs are great, the album Ys (pronounced ees) is wonderful. Who knew Steve Albini* would help record it?"

OR

"I ****ing hate Joanna Newsom. Anyone who likes her is a pretentious beasy who puts up with that shit voice just to look good."

You really can't go wrong unless you, God forbid, find a middle ground. You just need an extreme opinion.

forsaknazrael
12-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Damn you pretentious hipsters...
I know people like this, liking a band based on whther or not they're indie. Disgusting.
Music is Music.

raise_the_dead
12-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Link doesnt work for me. Isnt there a YouTube link or something?

JDawg4098
12-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Thats retarded...

alternative is slowly becoming the mainstream...its odd

bobjewell87
12-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Thats retarded...

alternative is slowly becoming the mainstream...its odd

its also not true

*Truly Ninja*
12-13-2006, 07:18 PM
God knows I started getting into indie rock just as I started hitting the crack pipe really hard.

paintITblack39
12-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Some Indie is slowly becoming mainstream. I don't know whether I should call it 'indie' anymore.

starsnostars
12-13-2006, 07:43 PM
You really can't go wrong unless you, God forbid, find a middle ground. You just need an extreme opinion.

damn, i'm on the middle on that one. i like her enough to go see her live, but i'm not going to call her amazing, or say ys was a great album

tezhall
12-13-2006, 09:27 PM
^ well then clearly you're just not indie then are you ;)

DorkusMalorkus
12-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Damn you pretentious hipsters...
I know people like this, liking a band based on whther or not they're indie. Disgusting.
Music is Music.
Nope, I'm pretty sure it all comes down to how much cooler it makes you look.

starsnostars
12-13-2006, 09:52 PM
^ well then clearly you're just not indie then are you ;)

and with what indie has become, i'm ok with that

STRAT811
12-13-2006, 10:04 PM
its also not true
+1

If we were all emo scene fags, we'd be doing it to look cool. If we were all listening to a genre full of fresh and original sounds, which we do, then it's because we're smart.

uhh_me?
12-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Is that the antidrug vid that has the girl like "i was doing things i didn't like, like listening to indie rock"

that is quite humorous if it is

STRAT811
12-13-2006, 10:56 PM
^:haha Haven't seen it, but it sounds hilarious!

forsaknazrael
12-14-2006, 02:21 AM
Nope, I'm pretty sure it all comes down to how much cooler it makes you look.
With the "indie-ness" factor being the factor of coolness. Which is what I was saying.

jackbutt
12-14-2006, 02:33 AM
Honestly, its not about the music at all. I really only buy CDs to see what they're wearing.

I work at an independent bookstore.

I get my hair cut like twice a week AND I'm a vegetarian.

I knitted my own scarf.

I ride a Schwinn cruiser to work.

I have a phonograph tattoo.

Eat it bitches.

sydbarrettsaves
12-14-2006, 03:56 AM
yay jackbutt i havent seen you in a long time

TeenBite
12-14-2006, 05:03 AM
I agree that indie is for people pretending to be cool. Not all indies mind, some of them do enjoy the music (somehow :P).

I mean, it's got the whole "Topshop" look to it, with the scarves and earthy colours. Girls are gonna prefer it over boys who like any other type of music.

DorkusMalorkus
12-14-2006, 10:17 AM
It is too hot to wear scarves out here. I'm so lame!

bobjewell87
12-14-2006, 11:01 AM
It is too hot to wear scarves out here. I'm so lame!

Score! british winter = scarf city, population me

jagstang270
12-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Meh, seriously, all I can say is- who gives a shit?

I have my own crowd of people and I know exactly who i'm hanging out with.

tezhall
12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
I have no scarf :sad: But I do have a genuine buffalo skin jacket thats older than me, and a deeply cool cobalt blue knitted cardigan from a shop called Electric Gypsy.

If that's not indie, I don't know what is.

I don't know what is. :sad: ;)

greedo88
12-14-2006, 03:19 PM
i love scarves! i wore one today, with a jumper and i felt so cool! apart from my neck, which was rather warm.

adm.uk
12-14-2006, 03:55 PM
I agree that indie is for people pretending to be cool. Not all indies mind, some of them do enjoy the music (somehow :P).

I mean, it's got the whole "Topshop" look to it, with the scarves and earthy colours. Girls are gonna prefer it over boys who like any other type of music.

You can blame the NME for that. The British 'indie' scene is terrible. I see groups of kids running around at college in their Topman clothes raving about the Frattellis or Larrikin Love. It's disappointing. They're musical opinion is based soley on who wass on last weeks cover of the NME.

bobjewell87
12-14-2006, 04:19 PM
i'd say its unfair of you lump larrikin love in with that shit 'indie' scene, kooks are much worse.

'american indie' seems to be a lot different to the uk equivelant, probably because you didnt have Oasis

TeenBite
12-14-2006, 04:20 PM
There are sadly way too many people like that in my area, which has in turn, driven me from the genre and further into other genres (namely country and metal). I'm sure there'd be some indie songs I'd enjoy, but I'll never know...

STRAT811
12-14-2006, 07:23 PM
I knitted my own scarf.

Scarves ooze the very heart and soul of indie.

sponj
12-14-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm more fond of the punkier side of indie so i have a DENIM JACKET. so punxxx.
it's what all the big rockstars are wearing

STRAT811
12-14-2006, 07:43 PM
^As for indie-wear, I have an old suit jacket and a vest that doesn't match, both from a thrift store. Thrift stores are soo indie.

jackbutt
12-14-2006, 08:21 PM
My jacket was my boyfriends mother's when she was in highschool in the 70s.

70s is so in right now.

I've had the same Saucony Jazz shoes for five years now. They go so well with my skinny jeans.

sponj
12-14-2006, 08:25 PM
I look like a druggie so +1000 style points to me!

back on topic, some people only listen to some shit because of the scene or indie cred, it's true, i know some people who are like that. that's why i now listen to panic! at the disco, cause every indie mother****er hates them and that makes me indie

STRAT811
12-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah. Emo and Screamo and all genres rhyning with them are soo huge right now, becuase looking like a douche is in for some reason. So is being depressed, which counts in all of the sick ****ers who pretend to have a serious illness because crappy bands make it cool. Indie is always against what's popular. That's why it's constantly changing and so broad to begin with.

Godzilla1969
12-14-2006, 09:03 PM
I don't make a concious decision to dress "indie"; I usually wear V-Neck American Apparel t-shirts, tight-ish black jeans, old, Ben Sherman dress shoes, and a white belt.

starsnostars
12-14-2006, 09:12 PM
american apparel has the worst shirts ever. for the quality of their shirts, they should charge $2.

i'm sorry, but i work for a shirt printing company, and things like that get to me

Godzilla1969
12-15-2006, 12:06 AM
^I've heard that before, but for some reason I really like them. They fit well. And they make the coolest v-necks in the biz. Plus, they're sweat shop free.

uhh_me?
12-15-2006, 01:36 PM
I look like a druggie so +1000 style points to me!

back on topic, some people only listen to some shit because of the scene or indie cred, it's true, i know some people who are like that. that's why i now listen to panic! at the disco, cause every indie mother****er hates them and that makes me indie
that was the most funny ever

tezhall
12-16-2006, 06:14 AM
I liked Panic! anyway, now I feel better for doing so knowing that it must piss of some whiny little teen wannebe somewhere.

Safe.

sponj
12-16-2006, 08:27 AM
the truth is, i haven't enjoyed a mainstreem band like them in a looong time :o

tezhall
12-16-2006, 01:08 PM
The thing that's indie about that is, that most people would immediately not like them based on the fact that they're mainstream, rather than whether they like them or not.

Either that, or wait for their friends to express an opinion and then have that one, just to be certain.

jackbutt
12-16-2006, 01:13 PM
They're always on the cover of Twist, a tween magazine we've been trying to stop carrying at my bookstore for ages, but they just keep sending it.

starsnostars
12-16-2006, 02:53 PM
i hated them before they were mainstream

safe

AWA
12-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Liking Indie music is just about the most un-"cool" thing you could do at my school.

culex-knight
12-18-2006, 04:11 AM
So, like, I wear an Opeth hoodie and a black scarf.

Is that like wearing an oxymoron?

bobjewell87
12-18-2006, 12:40 PM
that's wearing a bad bands merchandise

tezhall
12-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Out of interest I just had a quick look to see which of the B&A forums had the most posts in...A/I used to be regularly battling it out with "other" and "blues/jazz" for which was the least well "attended" forum...now, it's right up there with Modern Rock, Punk and Hardcore challenging for 3rd place.

I guess that's an indication of how much more well know alternative/independent music has become lately.

It also reminded me of all those many, many sigs saying "UG needz a pop-punk forum! PM Blink182sk8rgrrrl to join". *sigh*, ah, nostalgia...

alliwant
12-18-2006, 05:37 PM
I hate Indie. What do I win?

Godzilla1969
12-18-2006, 05:58 PM
I hate Indie. What do I win?
:confused: May I ask you why you're in this forum then?

bobjewell87
12-18-2006, 06:24 PM
hating indie and liking creed = you are deaf

Something_Vague
12-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Hating Indie and Liking Creed, in this day and age gets you a person of the year award. I'm a douchebag when it comes to music, and a hypocrite and I acknowledge this, it's a problem.

I bought the P!ATD cd, when it came out, was excited for what could be a good version of Fall Out Boy. Sad truth was, so was every teen girl in America that wasn't flashing their FUBU sneakers. So, truth be told, I let other people ruin music for me.

I can't enjoy The Misfits, or Danzig anymore knowing that mostly douchebags and idiots listen to it. I can't enjoy the greatness that was ATD-I anymore. I can't enjoy it.

The difference between music lovers is this:

people who listen for the best part in the song
and
people who listen for the worst part in the song.

MOST indie songs, have a lot of really bad parts,
but when they have a good part, it really shines, and I appreciate and enjoy that, and will listen to a song, even if it is only for a mere 15 seconds of awesome-ness [see: Bloc Party]

It's just the way the cookie crumbles. I love literally all music, just today I was listening to A Tribe Called Quest, and then it shuffled my itunes into The Decemberists, and then into Circle Takes The Square.

Only true indie kids listen to A Tribe Called Quest.

robbie
12-18-2006, 07:11 PM
The video didn't work, but based on the title of the thread, I will construct a post.

I was telling a friend of mine about Joanna Newsom on myspace, and this is what I said:

She is folk-ish, and folk is making a big comeback in an indie way. It'll earn you indie points if you love her or hate her. It doesn't matter which. There are two ways to play it off:

"I love Joanna Newsome's voice, it is so fresh and original. Her simple songs are great, the album Ys (pronounced ees) is wonderful. Who knew Steve Albini* would help record it?"

OR

"I ****ing hate Joanna Newsom. Anyone who likes her is a pretentious beasy who puts up with that shit voice just to look good."

w00t for indie points! Joanna is fantastic! I'm seeing her in January. :D

As for indie being for people pretending to be cool... Well, many think its cool to dislike people who everyone thinks are cool. I know that some people hate some bands solely because they are popular. I think thats a stupid attitude to take. You should judge each band on its merits alone, totally ignoring other people's opinions and whats cool or whats not cool.

pumpkins_rule
12-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Hating Indie and Liking Creed, in this day and age gets you a person of the year award. I'm a douchebag when it comes to music, and a hypocrite and I acknowledge this, it's a problem.

I bought the P!ATD cd, when it came out, was excited for what could be a good version of Fall Out Boy. Sad truth was, so was every teen girl in America that wasn't flashing their FUBU sneakers. So, truth be told, I let other people ruin music for me.

I can't enjoy The Misfits, or Danzig anymore knowing that mostly douchebags and idiots listen to it. I can't enjoy the greatness that was ATD-I anymore. I can't enjoy it.

The difference between music lovers is this:

people who listen for the best part in the song
and
people who listen for the worst part in the song.

MOST indie songs, have a lot of really bad parts,
but when they have a good part, it really shines, and I appreciate and enjoy that, and will listen to a song, even if it is only for a mere 15 seconds of awesome-ness [see: Bloc Party]

It's just the way the cookie crumbles. I love literally all music, just today I was listening to A Tribe Called Quest, and then it shuffled my itunes into The Decemberists, and then into Circle Takes The Square.

I'm sorry but you sound like the biggest douchebag. Most indie has bad parts? Examples?

starsnostars
12-18-2006, 07:39 PM
MOST indie songs, have a lot of really bad parts...[see: Bloc Party]

and there's your problem

Something_Vague
12-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Wtf has happened to this forum. Bloc Party isn't a good band, anyone who says anything else, has:

A.)Never listened to Gang of Four
B.)Never listened to Bloc Party.

Here's a good example, Positive Tension, by Bloc Party, the song is awful up until the last 30 - 45 seconds, that's the only redeeming part of that song, and I love it because of that last part.

They're boring as shit, and the most term, I was speaking about was generally, the reason why most indie aren't main stream, is because most of it IS shit.

Jesus Christ.

Go listen to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, tools.

Godzilla1969
12-18-2006, 09:21 PM
:mad: I think I just might go do that.

starsnostars
12-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Wtf has happened to this forum. Bloc Party isn't a good band, anyone who says anything else, has:

A.)Never listened to Gang of Four
B.)Never listened to Bloc Party.

the only good thing bloc party has ever done was let m83 remix them

Something_Vague
12-18-2006, 10:30 PM
God, M83 is so good.

culex-knight
12-19-2006, 04:01 AM

To each his own.

And thank God for that, I don't want yours.

robbie
12-19-2006, 06:11 PM
the only good thing bloc party has ever done was let m83 remix them

NO! They also let (or at least haven't stopped) Final Fantasy covering 'This Modern Love'. It is amazing. Far better than the original.

What a brilliant idea!

bobjewell87
12-19-2006, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=Something_Vague]
QUOTE]

that's not very varied at all

Godzilla1969
12-19-2006, 09:14 PM
To each his own.

And thank God for that, I don't want yours.
For the record, I think Opeth is pretty badass. :cool:

AWA
12-19-2006, 09:37 PM
For the record, I think Opeth is pretty badass. :cool:
Seconded.

Something_Vague, there's a little thing called "opinion". Bloc Party isn't a "bad band", it's just your opinion that they are. I personally think they're boring, but I don't go around stating my opinion as fact.

jackbutt
12-19-2006, 11:12 PM
#1 Rule of Being Indie:
State your opinion as fact.

Something_Vague
12-20-2006, 12:36 AM
If people still need to point out the difference between opinion and fact, they need to reassure themselves that they're not invalid/retarded.

Just because I don't begin every thought process with, "I think" doesn't mean I am stating fact. It's a fucking given that it is an opinion, if you have to reassure yourself that the reason I am a jackass is because your reaffirmation of the deffinition of what is and isn't an opinion. you can straight up, stone-cold blow me.

I remember when this forum wasn't filled with people who were ready to go for the throat of the person's opinion they disagree with. If you can't give me a valid reason why you disagree, then you are wrong, because your opinion is vuh, vuh, vuh, void.

Thank you, blow me.

amd then add me on myspace.

www.myspace.com/mattisstatic

#1 synth
12-20-2006, 12:39 AM
Matt, you should really be a stand up comedian, your posts always seem to make me laugh :haha

though I may be the only one :p:

Something_Vague
12-20-2006, 12:41 AM
:heart:

AWA
12-20-2006, 01:08 AM
Jesus Christ, Matt, I didn't want to get in a beef with you.

And I already added you on myspace, babe.

Barrett346
12-20-2006, 01:41 AM

ftw.

grunge geek al
01-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Liking Indie music is just about the most un-"cool" thing you could do at my school.

same, but i listen to it anyway

DorkusMalorkus
01-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I :heart: Something_Vague

You guys need to stop getting so worked up over him. Giving out 'radical' opinions like they are facts is fun, and really not supposed to be taken seriously.

Mack56
01-01-2007, 04:33 PM
#1 Rule of Being Indie:
State your opinion as fact.

That made me 'lol'

Knife2aGunFight
01-01-2007, 05:03 PM
If people still need to point out the difference between opinion and fact, they need to reassure themselves that they're not invalid/retarded.

Just because I don't begin every thought process with, "I think" doesn't mean I am stating fact. It's a fucking given that it is an opinion, if you have to reassure yourself that the reason I am a jackass is because your reaffirmation of the deffinition of what is and isn't an opinion. you can straight up, stone-cold blow me.

I remember when this forum wasn't filled with people who were ready to go for the throat of the person's opinion they disagree with. If you can't give me a valid reason why you disagree, then you are wrong, because your opinion is vuh, vuh, vuh, void.

Thank you, blow me.

amd then add me on myspace.

www.myspace.com/mattisstatic
The Locust sucks.

sponj
01-02-2007, 08:24 AM
The Locust sucks.

The Locust rule.

Fact

dougiecrystals
01-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Wf, I want to get all up in this but the movie didn't work, and I just re-installed quicktime which took forever, tried again, still didn't work, read every post hoping someone would put a new link but didn't, so now I'm sad.

Fact.

Whatever.
You know..I use to think I was reallly...well, open to all music.
Like, that I actually had a varied taste.
But..

I was thinking about it the other day, and..I don't.

I mean, I use to be like, "man, I love Shakira, Fall of Troy, Oberst annnnnd Gwen Stefani"

(Btw, I thought Gwen Stefani's new album was gonna totally suck, but....it doens't.)

But...it's never ever like that.
For example, if someone said "Cursive and Bright Eyes make totally the same music."

I'd be all "Wf, Domestica does not equal I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"

Yet while they might be widely different bands, for whatever reason, almost every Cursive fan loves/likes Bright Eyes and vice versa.

Okay, not almost every, but the well majority.

Knife2aGunFight
01-02-2007, 04:04 PM
^^ I hated Bright Eyes at first, could not stand his voice, but i kind of like Bright Eyes now, it took a long while to grow on me.

However Cursive is superior in every way shape and form.
Fact.

STRAT811
01-02-2007, 07:59 PM
^All I have is "Happy Hollow" and I love it, but Bright Eyes is the best band on Saddle Creek. 9 out of 10 dentists say so.

Barrett346
01-03-2007, 04:38 AM
Rap and Hip-Hop is for people pretending to be cool, not Indie

Screw you!

CrossBack7
01-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Honestly, its not about the music at all. I really only buy CDs to see what they're wearing.

I work at an independent bookstore.

I get my hair cut like twice a week AND I'm a vegetarian.

I knitted my own scarf.

I ride a Schwinn cruiser to work.

I have a phonograph tattoo.

Eat it bitches.

Odd a bit anyone? I'm just going to assume this dude is kidding.

STRAT811
01-03-2007, 06:33 PM
I can relate to everything on there. Youre the man, Something Vague.

sponj
01-03-2007, 06:38 PM
I eat, breath, and shit. Indie.

I am the hot, red moped that you ride to work.

I am the warm cup of java [you say java, because coffee is cliche] sitting on your limp, art-fag, cock, keeping you from freezing from the barely freezing weather, because you're a vegan.

I am the mousse you use to make your hair look like you just woke up, always.

I am the overly excessive use of cordoroy in your wardrobe, the 5 coat jackets, all of them a shade of brown or tan, and I am the comfy scarf your girlfriend, who didn't even know who Snow Patrol were until you brought it up in a conversation about "overrated" bands, knitted in winter, because it's "the prettiest month."

I am your band t-shirts that no one else wears, and you stop when someone else does.

I am your brown, checkered vans, your reeboks, or your low top converse.

I am your jeans that are cut and hemmed at the bottom, by you of course, because you "won't pay for that shit."

I am god.
I am indie.

-matt erman-

:down: :down: :down:

Im so glad that portugal is culturally retarted! that way I'm true to my indieness...

starsnostars
01-03-2007, 07:41 PM

I am the warm cup of java [you say java, because coffee is cliche] sitting on your limp, art-fag, cock, keeping you from freezing from the barely freezing weather, because you're a vegan.

I am the overly excessive use of cordoroy in your wardrobe, the 5 coat jackets, all of them a shade of brown or tan, and I am the comfy scarf your girlfriend, who didn't even know who Snow Patrol were until you brought it up in a conversation about "overrated" bands, knitted in winter, because it's "the prettiest month."

I am your band t-shirts that no one else wears, and you stop when someone else does.

I am your jeans that are cut and hemmed at the bottom, by you of course, because you "won't pay for that shit."

I am god.
I am indie.

-matt erman-

the only part of that i can relate to is the brown shoes, except mine are from american eagle. oh how pitchfork would be ashamed of me.

and i'm going to go with the person that said the locust suck, because that's probably the only thing to come out of this thread that doesn't make me think you are all a bunch of fuck-tards

Barrett346
01-03-2007, 08:47 PM

I am god.
I am indie.

-matt erman-

That was beautiful.

We are such assholes.

jackbutt
01-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm so indie even my mom called me a snob.

Something_Vague
01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
the only part of that i can relate to is the brown shoes, except mine are from american eagle. oh how pitchfork would be ashamed of me.

and i'm going to go with the person that said the locust suck, because that's probably the only thing to come out of this thread that doesn't make me think you are all a bunch of fuck-tards

the locust are amazing, and if anything else comes out of your mouth that isn't my cock or cum, then you can go to FYE, buy the new Killers Album, enjoy it, read on Pitchfork that they didn't like, then turn against The Killers and claim they imitate Bruce {the boss} Springstein on their new album and it's mediocre.

blow me hard, young one, you've got a lot to learn.

Knife2aGunFight
01-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Where on Earth did you get all of those conclusions from haha?
Just his dislike of The Locust?

The whole The Locust not being good thing,
They make a catagorically sucky type of music so they can't help it.
They might be good at what they do but what they do isn't good.
Plus they take themselves WAY too seriously.

Plus the Blood Brothers do the whole noisegrind thing better.
so go get banned?

Something_Vague
01-03-2007, 10:09 PM
they do take themselves way too seriously, which does piss me off.

and anal **** is a superior version of the locust anyway, because they're actually hilarious.

starsnostars
01-03-2007, 10:12 PM
please please please don't go provoking verbal blows with me. i know you have a lot of free time in between taking out your sexual frustrations on an internet message board, but use your time more constructively, or gee golly at the very least come up with something more than mass amounts of stereotypes that only apply to you.

but here, and write this one down on your calendar, i do apologize for i thought, because of your devotion for the locust, that you were only 13. but now i can clearly see you're 17. -i'm on my way right now to see if they give out medals for that level of retardation.

and can someone delete the last three pages of this thread? please?

Knife2aGunFight
01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
bwhahaha low blow.

also this sums it up
I can't enjoy the greatness that was ATD-I anymore. I can't enjoy it.
pwned himself. and that's letting the "I bought Panic!'s CD" slide.

Something_Vague
01-03-2007, 11:38 PM
please please please don't go provoking verbal blows with me. i know you have a lot of free time in between taking out your sexual frustrations on an internet message board, but use your time more constructively, or gee golly at the very least come up with something more than mass amounts of stereotypes that only apply to you.

but here, and write this one down on your calendar, i do apologize for i thought, because of your devotion for the locust, that you were only 13. but now i can clearly see you're 17. -i'm on my way right now to see if they give out medals for that level of retardation.

Are you joking me? I'm the one, who is writing up a quick, needless to say joke of an analysis on the stereotypical indie kid. You're a tool if you can't poke fun at your own generic formulaic archetypical highschool clique. If you took anything I've said seriously, then you're a tool.

You need to ch-ch-ch-check yourself fool, because you're the tool taking what I said on a "internet message board" seriously, so go listen to Husker Du and beat off to Ian Mckaye you T-O-O-L.

starsnostars
01-04-2007, 12:00 AM
did you show that one to your mom and dad, are they proud of their boy?

here you go, i've got a challenge for you:

go find a quote of mine that shows i respect you enough to take anything you said seriously- or that i'm a stereotypical indie kid- or that i'm even in high school.

and please stop name dropping bands, i mean it's really not that hard to do some research if you really want to try to hurt my little feelings.

now please, someone delete this thread or something close to it

Something_Vague
01-04-2007, 12:18 AM
cute. you've somehow managed to bring my mom and dad into this.

There's your challenge btw, I'm pretty sure I just won, but what? What did I win, your respect? Oh wait, no, I don't deserve that because looking at your myspace, which, you so boldly promote in your signature.

I see you do wear brown.
Your hair does look like you just woke up.
Hey, you've got a beard!
Argyle?!
Collar-shirts?!
Dropping the words hipster?!?!

Jesus Christ! I don't know what I'm seeing, but an exact replica of what I described?!

Stereotypes my ass, you fit them just as well as I do.

http://myspace-490.vo.llnwd.net/01427/09/42/1427062490_l.jpg

Knife2aGunFight
01-04-2007, 12:34 AM
beard is awesome duder.

starsnostars
01-04-2007, 12:48 AM
this is where i ask for your sources on your argument?

and whats wrong with letting people on here add me to myspace if they want? how are you trying to show that as something negative?

but i do give you kudos on the research, though i would throw this in

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/vonbrigdum/Untitled-1.jpg

sort or sounds like a joke, eh?

please just give up on trying to fight with me, really. as the person above stated, the beard wins out.

Something_Vague
01-04-2007, 12:56 AM
No no, I got the joke.

http://myspace-456.vo.llnwd.net/01259/65/46/1259076456_l.jpg

I gots me one too though, without the stache, I find it kind of tacky. Excuss my lack of brown in that picture.

http://myspace-240.vo.llnwd.net/01213/04/29/1213969240_l.jpg

There we go.

pumpkins_rule
01-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Lol Tolhurst @ this thread.

Oh wait...

I think I might have started it.

starsnostars
01-04-2007, 01:06 AM
^yeah, all the blame is going your way

back to the subject at hand-

it seems we have bitterly ended our dispute. i don't know if we can be friends, but we can always be myspace friends, and i believe you know where to find me.

and yeah, no one should ever rock the beard without the stache

Something_Vague
01-04-2007, 01:08 AM
the girls, they complained when I had it, because it's stuble and hard to kiss. so i lopped it off and i've been doing better ever since.

starsnostars
01-04-2007, 01:14 AM
i've never had that problem, or at least never told of it. but i keep that shit trimmed

garden of grey
01-04-2007, 01:36 AM

Quit being an elitist. On topic though, I am really confused by the whole indie trend right now. Independent music is not really independent if you are signed to a major label.

and anal **** is a superior version of the locust anyway, because they're actually hilarious.

Lol, anything Seth Putnam touches is painfully bad, but the names of their songs are godly.

A concept album about a guy being bald :
album: "Howard Is Bald" (1995 EP)

Howard Is Bald
Bald To The Bone
A Conversation With Howard Wulkan
Ballad Of Baldness
Howard Wulkan Is Bald (Acoustic & Jazz Versions)
Night On Bald Moutain
You Should Be Balding
If I Can't Have Hair

Each album has like 40 retarded songs like this:
I Like Drugs And Child Abuse
Laughing When Leonard Peltier Gets Raped In Jail
I Convinced You To Beat Your Wife On A Daily Basis
I Sent Concentration Camp Footage To Americas Funniest Home Videos
Rancid Sucks (And The Clash Sucked Too)
I Paid J. Howell To Rape You
I Pushed Your Wife In Front Of The Subway
Extreme Noise Terror Is Afraid Of Us
You Rollerblading Faggot
I Sent A Thankyou Card To The Guy That Raped You
I Lit Your Baby On Fire
Body By Auschvitz
I Intentionally Ran Over Your Dog
Sweatshops Are Cool
Woman, Nature's Punching Bag
I Snuck A Retard In To A Sperm Bank
Your Kid Committed Suicide Because You Suck
I Ate Your Horse
Hitler Was A Sensitive Man
You Robbed A Sperm Bank Because You're A Cum Guzzling Fag
I Made You're Kid Get AIDS, So You Could Watch It Die
I ****ed Your Wife
Into The Oven
I Gave Nambla Pictures Of You Kid
The Only Reason Men Talk To You Is Because They Want To Get Laid, You Stupid ****ing ****
I Made Fun Of You Because Your Kid Just Died
Domestic Violence Is Really Really Really Funny
Dictators Are Cool
Deadbeat Dads Are Cool
I'm Really Excited About The Upcoming David Buskin Concert
Being Ignorant Is Awesome
You're Pregnant, So I Kicked You In The Stomach
Chris Barnes Is A Pussy
Tim Is Gay
B.T./A.C.
I Sold Your Dog To A Chinese Restaurant
I Got An Office Job For The Sole Purpose Of Sexually Harassing Women

(Bolded are the best ones)

DorkusMalorkus
01-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Independent music is not really independent if you are signed to a major label.10 years ago maybe...

garden of grey
01-04-2007, 01:46 AM
^ well I mean the literal meaning of the word. I think tis time for a name change or some sub genre of it.

DorkusMalorkus
01-04-2007, 01:47 AM
We're too stubborn. It won't happen.

garden of grey
01-04-2007, 01:55 AM
Oh ok

DorkusMalorkus
01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm gay. INDIE.

Oh, and I still haven't been able to watch the video that was posted. It won't work for me. Is it on YouTube?

starsnostars
01-04-2007, 11:18 PM
everyone has seen this one, right? i hope so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD6bI7ziGPk

AWA
01-05-2007, 01:44 AM
go listen to Husker Du and beat off to Ian Mckaye
That sounds like something I would do..

I'm gay. INDIE.
What does that have to do with anything?

DorkusMalorkus
01-05-2007, 01:59 AM
What does that have to do with anything?
It has everything to do with indie. Just like haircuts, corduroy, blazers, scarves, and starbucks.

AWA
01-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Nah, I think you just love to flaunt it. Alot.

DorkusMalorkus
01-05-2007, 02:35 AM
Nah, I think you just love to flaunt it. Alot.
Nah. This is really the only thread where I've brought it up when it was completely unnecessary.

Also (this next bit was brought up in another thread), the way I act on here hardly reflects the way I am in real life. I can't "flaunt it" in real life. It is a bit of an outlet here.

Edit:

And let's not continue this either. It was a joke that was meant to show how stupid it is to talk about certain things we do and then say that it's indie.

jackbutt
01-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Well, I don't have a beard, but I wouldn't expect anything less from my dark and handsome boyfriend.

I do have a tweed skirt that I wear with whatever the **** I want.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/deluvilli/Danceparty.jpg

tezhall
01-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Tthats an indie requirement right there - Be Blurry At All Times ;)

Plus for those looking for tweed, check out www.theelectricgypsy.com, harris tweed jackets, 12. Poifect.

edit - corrected the linky :)

jackbutt
01-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Also indie:
Dance parties.
Listening to Chinese Stars on vinyl.
Dancing to the Chinese Stars in your downtown pad.

Kyle Gass
01-05-2007, 01:44 PM
It has everything to do with indie. Just like haircuts, corduroy, blazers, scarves, and starbucks.

HOLY SH*T..... Corduroy, blazers, and man scarves.... I'm indie and didnt even know it :( I'm living a lie......

STRAT811
01-05-2007, 04:34 PM
everyone has seen this one, right? i hope so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD6bI7ziGPk

Hahaha, brilliant.

Kyle Gass
01-05-2007, 04:48 PM
^It made me giggle

jackbutt
01-05-2007, 04:54 PM
On that note, Aziz Ansari is ****ing hilarious. The best I've seen of him is the mix tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp_wIZ1kVVg

uhh_me?
01-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Oh man...I had no idea that Devendra's beard was fake

tezhall
01-05-2007, 05:25 PM
lmao

dougiecrystals
01-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Oh my god, is that what they fucking use?

I've been trying to get that look like forever....

But now, I'm just going for Oberst hair, which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have effing curly hair!

Knife2aGunFight
01-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Oberst just doesn't wash his hair.

Kyle Gass
01-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Use Syrup :)... MMMmmm MMmmm