Lynyrd Skynyrd

PDA

View Full Version : Lynyrd Skynyrd

facesofhope
12-13-2006, 04:33 AM
What are some of the essential songs/albums of theirs?

slashnmash
12-13-2006, 05:07 AM
Freebird :headbang:

jskinnirvana
12-13-2006, 01:30 PM
lol joe dirt has alot of good songs that smell, other good songs not in the movie that i recall gimme three steps, dont ask me no questions, mr saturday night, and freebird of course

Zar Mulix
12-13-2006, 01:35 PM
sweet home alabama......du nu nu nunu nu nu........

hamett91
12-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
Freebird
Simple Man

fireman464
12-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Gimme Three Steps
The Ballad of Curtis Loew
Tuesday's Gone

In addition to those above

BrainDamage
12-13-2006, 04:49 PM
What are some of the essential songs/albums of theirs? WOAH. You stole wilty's avatar. NOT. COOL. :mad:

:p:

Get Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd and Second Helping. Both are great albums.

bubbleboy_619
12-13-2006, 07:57 PM
here are my personal favorites:

That Smell
Free Bird
Simple Man
Sweet Home Alabama
Gimme Three Steps
Saturday Night Special
Tuesday's Gone
I Ain't The One
Working For MCA
Double Trouble
Gimme Back My Bullets

jac_murphy
12-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Honestly, in terms of albums, they're all stellar. To start, though (as BrainDamage said... HOLY CRAP you're a mod!!!) I would get Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd or Second Helping.

-Jacques

The Casualty
12-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Tuesday's Gone is only one of the greatest, if not THE greatest rock song of all time, check that song out.

Get Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd, and All-time Greatest Hits.

BrainDamage
12-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Honestly, in terms of albums, they're all stellar. To start, though (as BrainDamage said... HOLY CRAP you're a mod!!!) I would get Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd or Second Helping.

-Jacques yeah, from what I've heard of their other albums, they are all very good. Pronounced and Second Helping are my favorites though.

and your damn right I'm a mod :p:

mtardif1
12-14-2006, 02:07 AM
Freebird is probably one of the most amazing pieces of music ever written.

Cooper1983
12-14-2006, 06:02 AM
I love a live album i have of them "One for the road" or something

drunk_rocker89
12-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Wow....these are AWESOME songs but very unoriginal.Check out On The Hunt,Am I Losin,Roll Gypsy Roll,Needle and the Spoon,Cry for the Bad Man,I'm a Country Boy,I need You,all i can do is write about it,need all my friends,basically ANYTHING!

Freebird759
12-14-2006, 07:15 PM
For Lynyrd Skynyrd, theres not really any essential albums or songs. Eery song they wrote was unbealivable, they were the only band iv ever listened to that doesnt have a sorta alright-ish album, they are all amazing. Thats why thier my favorite band.

jwn2112
01-04-2007, 08:01 PM
tuesdays gone
freebird
sweet home alabama
simple man
o.r.r.
home is where the heart is
gimme three steps
mississippi queen
travelin man
that smell
red white and blue

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Their debut album, "Pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd", is amazing. It contains a lot of their better-known songs, and would be a great album to start with just for some familiar ground, but to also allow you to hear some of their lesser-known songs.

Another personal favorite album of mine is "Nuthin' Fancy". My favorite song from this album would be "On the Hunt".

Their second album, "Second Helping", and fourth album, "Gimme Back My Bullets", are great, too.

Those are the four studio albums I have. They also had one more studio album released before the deadly plane crash called "Street Survivors". I have only heard a few songs from this album, but I hear it is good.

I haven't really listened to much of the post-plane crash Lynyrd Skynyrd, but I saw them live a couple of years ago, and I'm assuming that if the band can write music as well as it plays music, those albums must not be too bad.

I'd also highly recommend checking out the live album "One More From the Road".

jim morrison714
01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
i suggest pre-crash skynyrd music if you're just getting into them. it's also their most famous stuff. although some of the post-crash stuff is good i, personally, don't think it's the same. i saw them in concert a few years ago and they played some newer stuff and it was good but i couldn't tell you the names of the songs

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Same here.

I thought that this new line-up was great in playing the original songs, but to tell you the truth, even though I wasn't born until many years after the plane crash, I knew that it was an entirely different atmosphere.

I listen to One More From the Road from time to time, and I always feel as though I'm actually in the theater seeing them live.

jim morrison714
01-04-2007, 08:47 PM
they used to be my favorite band and i would ritually watch this dvd, freebird the movie and tribute tour, and it had their classic lineup playing songs and it would switch between them playing and a documentary of the band. pretty cool

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Awesome.

2112swartz
01-04-2007, 09:26 PM
sweet home alabama
gimme 3 steps
simple man
saturday night special
tuesdays gone
free bird :down:
dont ask me no questions
gimme back my bullets
they call me the breeze
Whats your name
etc.

these are all really great songs

jazza1234
01-04-2007, 09:59 PM
you cant **** with freebird

masterpiece

jac_murphy
01-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Their debut album, "Pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd", is amazing.

:eek:

You're the first person I've seen (apart from myself) who spells it out using all the accents! :golfclap:

I know I didn't do it earlier in this thread, but I use them on my iTunes.

-Jacques

ubernooblet06
01-05-2007, 06:26 AM
check out "I know a little" from street survivors. has a good intro done by steve gaines.

and "Comin' Home" is a real good one too.

UK Rebel
01-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Personally i like travlin man and double trouble.
Freebird and alabama are obvious good ones.
You should get hold of a recent live album from them. But do not get the tribute tour one!!

BrainDamage
01-05-2007, 05:13 PM
:eek:

You're the first person I've seen (apart from myself) who spells it out using all the accents! :golfclap:

I know I didn't do it earlier in this thread, but I use them on my iTunes.

-Jacques haha yeah, when I saw that I thought "why the hell did he go through that much trouble to use the symbols?" :p:

TheHeartbreaker
01-05-2007, 06:27 PM
It's called "Copy and Paste" my friends. ;)

Freebird759
01-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Haha i dont have enough patience to do that, I normally just refer to it as 'Pronounced' as alot of prople do.

TheHeartbreaker
01-06-2007, 01:33 AM
But I'm one who prefers putting in full titles. :)

Perthexpo2
01-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Freebird and tuseday's gone is there bests two songs. there all great actually!

ironcity684
01-07-2007, 12:48 AM
FREEBIRD and SWEET HOME ALABAMA are my fav.

Page&HammettFan
01-31-2007, 11:52 PM
Ok, SGstriker made a thread about them that got closed because it wasn't the first. So here is the new one. Enjoy SGstriker :cheers:

SGstriker
02-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Ok, SGstriker made a thread about them that got closed because it wasn't the first. So here is the new one. Enjoy SGstriker :cheers:

I guess I should have searched better lol

I really like Gimme Three Steps. I don't know why, it just sounds so cool.

Page&HammettFan
02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
The songs okay. I prefer That Smell. It's a fun song. My dad told me what the lyrical inspiration was one time in the car with the rest of the family (just our house), but I had no idea of who the hell Lynyrd Skynyrd even were at the time. Still don't know much about them though :p:

Here's one for the sig...

OMG SGstriker have ya got enough lemons?! Or should I go get some more for ya?!

TheHeartbreaker
02-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah, what's up with the lemons?!

SGstriker
02-01-2007, 08:33 PM
The songs okay. I prefer That Smell. It's a fun song. My dad told me what the lyrical inspiration was one time in the car with the rest of the family (just our house), but I had no idea of who the hell Lynyrd Skynyrd even were at the time. Still don't know much about them though :p:

Here's one for the sig...

OMG SGstriker have ya got enough lemons?! Or should I go get some more for ya?!

I am getting some more soon. Lemons of all shapes and sizes.

Im gonna learn to play Simple Man soon.

TheHeartbreaker
02-01-2007, 08:55 PM
That's probably a song I should learn sometime soon, but I'm currently learning The Trees by Rush.

So, out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite song by Lynyrd Skynyrd? Personally, I love On the Hunt.

SGstriker
02-01-2007, 08:58 PM
That's probably a song I should learn sometime soon, but I'm currently learning The Trees by Rush.

So, out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite song by Lynyrd Skynyrd? Personally, I love On the Hunt.

O gosh, let me find the list.
I don't have a favorite. I like all of them equally, but here are my favorites.

1. Gimme 3 steps
2. Simple Man
3. Saturday Night Special
4. Ballad of Curtis Lowe
5. Tuesdays Gone
6. Sweet Home Alabama
7. Freebird
Im sure there is more, I just can't think of them right now.

TheHeartbreaker
02-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but based upon your list I'm assuming you've only been exposed to their more popular songs?

And a Lime, eh? You're nuts, man...

Tenacious Me
02-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Get the CD One More from the Road. It is just three nights of live preformances with all theirs hits simply amazing.

side note:I was obsessed with this cd for a summer.

TheHeartbreaker
02-01-2007, 09:10 PM
I love that album. They do an amazing cover of Crossroads on it.

SGstriker
02-01-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but based upon your list I'm assuming you've only been exposed to their more popular songs?

And a Lime, eh? You're nuts, man...

100% correct....I only have there greatest hits CD, because thats all I can afford. O and Im not nuts, Im just hyper lol.

TheHeartbreaker
02-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Okay. Well, just for when you have some money saved up, I recommend you buy their debut album first.

It has a lot of their well-known songs, but will also reveal what will likely be some new songs to you.

SGstriker
02-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Okay. Well, just for when you have some money saved up, I recommend you buy their debut album first.

It has a lot of their well-known songs, but will also reveal what will likely be some new songs to you.

Will do, right after I get Zeppelin Remasters, a new mini amp, and get money for my trip to Canada.

TheHeartbreaker
02-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Aye, I need to save up for a better amp myself... However, I've spent $50 over the past two weeks. :(

Sloopy
02-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Will do, right after I get Zeppelin Remasters, a new mini amp, and get money for my trip to Canada.

Yeah Canada ftw!

Anyone else find "That Smell" quite entertaining?

SGstriker
02-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Yeah Canada ftw!

Anyone else find "That Smell" quite entertaining?

lol, everytime they play That Smell on the local radio station, they sometimes put fart sound fx into it......
Yeah, it is pretty entertaining
And Yes Canada FTW!

TheHeartbreaker
02-02-2007, 11:24 AM
:haha

-Rock-N'-Roll-
02-02-2007, 08:18 PM
So many but if i had to only pick 1 and only 1 song it would have to be the almighty Free Bird :P you gotta love em

TheHeartbreaker
02-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Of course... Free Bird. :rolleyes:

Just kidding. :p:

It's definitely a great song, but it can easily get boring after being listened to too many times.

Freebird759
02-03-2007, 08:40 PM
no, i love freebird but the best song by skynyrd, hands down is Simple Man, you can't beat it, i love that song,

and what does everyone else think of skynyrds cover of crossroads, i thought it was awesome

any other input?

EL Conquestidor
02-04-2007, 10:31 AM
"One More from the Road" is IMO THE Skynyrd album. The "Crossroads" cover was good, but I like "T for Texas" better. It's just an incredable example of how TIGHT those guys were!

TheHeartbreaker
02-04-2007, 12:35 PM
"T for Texas" is awesome on that album.

I remember my father was the one who picked up the album, and after hearing the opening to "Crossroads" in the next room, I bolted into where he was playing the music and was like, "Holy shit!". :eek:

Definitely an amazing album. I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd a few years ago (obviously not the same line-up), and while it was an incredible show, there was no comparison between the two shows.

The Ronnie Van Zant-era Lynyrd Skynyrd was a great band.

distilledspirit
02-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah obviously :p:

Just kidding, I gotta pick up One More From the Road.

LustGardenBlues
02-04-2007, 12:42 PM
i actually like the newer guys better. Vicious Cycle is a good album. and i know what im talking about, i used to be obsessed with skynyrd. i was in a skynyrd cover band, learned how to play all the old songs...man that seems like another life...

TheHeartbreaker
02-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Well, I'm not saying their bad, and to be honest I've never really listened to much of the new line-up apart from when I saw them live (which was actually more of an "add-on" to The Allman Brothers band concert).

EL Conquestidor
02-04-2007, 01:56 PM
I've seen both the original lineup (1976 in Houston w/The Outlaws) and the newer band (2000 I believe). IMO there's no comparison. The original band was better. Tight, More energy, HUNGRY. Those guys came to rock you out of your shoes. Not just go thru the motions. (It's understandable that 30 years of playing largely the same tunes could produce a less than enthusiastic performance)
I've also met some of the band members.

TheHeartbreaker
02-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Wow, EL Conquestidor, I didn't realize you were that old. :p:

Only joking. That's awesome, though, that you got to see the original band.

Which members have you met, and what are they like?

EL Conquestidor
02-04-2007, 04:55 PM
I met Leon, Billy and Ricky. Leon and Billy were very friendly. Ricky was OK,but had some distant family members present and was preoccupied.
I was very dissapointed that Gary wasn't interested in meeting his fans.

TheHeartbreaker
02-04-2007, 06:13 PM
That is dissapointing. If I was in such a high position, and worshipped by so many people, I'd love to meet them.

SGstriker
02-04-2007, 06:47 PM
That is dissapointing. If I was in such a high position, and worshipped by so many people, I'd love to meet them.

Yep, same here