7 Riffs [PTB, MIDI] C4C

PDA

View Full Version : 7 Riffs [PTB, MIDI] C4C

Hallows_Eve
12-13-2006, 10:37 PM
These are a bunch of unrelated riffs I wrote over the past year. I wrote the first 2 a WHILE ago, but didn't used em yet. My favorites are probably the last two (especially the second half of the 6th riff).

Just listen to them and rate your 3 favorite ones (want to see which are worth adding to and turning into a new song).

psychotim
12-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Riff1: Was pretty cool, but can you actualy play that at that speed?
Riff2: Was ok but i didnt like that where you used triplets on only one of the measures.
Riff3: Put a backing track to it and it would be good.
Riff4: Didnt like this one, especialy the ending.
Riff5: Didnt like this eigther.
Riff6: Yeah this was pretty good. but i think the first riff (measure) could be better if you end it on another note.
Riff7: Didnt like the begining, but when it was harmonised and the bass was going fast it was all good. The things after that was also good.

Hallows_Eve
12-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Riff1: Was pretty cool, but can you actualy play that at that speed?
Riff2: Was ok but i didnt like that where you used triplets on only one of the measures.
Riff3: Put a backing track to it and it would be good.
Riff4: Didnt like this one, especialy the ending.
Riff5: Didnt like this eigther.
Riff6: Yeah this was pretty good. but i think the first riff (measure) could be better if you end it on another note.
Riff7: Didnt like the begining, but when it was harmonised and the bass was going fast it was all good. The things after that was also good.

About Riff 1: It's just some simple sweeps played fast, not as hard as it looks.

Tried to go for a Nevermore-y kinda sound with riff 4/5, but failed at that =S

The last three notes of the harmony part in riff 6 should each be one string lower, that's why it sounds ****ed up.

I think I might change the intro to riff 7 into a cover of the part of "Flight of the Bumblebee" with the harmonics and string skipping, then move into the 2nd part of the riff.

Btw, which one is worth expanding into a full song?

magvol
12-14-2006, 12:37 PM
nr 1, is a good intro.. i would use that for a song.. and work on something new instead of the others :P

Mathamology
12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Riff 1 - I like it, it feels like an interlude between two parts rather than perhaps an intro riff. It's cool.
Riff 2 - Hmmm... I'm not sure I like this one, it feels kind of... I don't know. It feels like the legato part is crammed in, but that could just be the feel of the MIDI
Riff 3 - This has a kind of... saxaphone feel to it, in my mind, maybe its the slide up to the tremolo notes and the whole tone of the MIDI. It feels kinda 'shifty', I don't know how it could be used in a song, but it's still pretty good, I like it.
Riff 4 - I'm getting a bit of a "Powerslave" driven riff here, if used correctly I think it could make a decent intro... Although I think something needs to go before it as part of an intro
Riff 5 - Okay, I'm not really a fan of this one... it feels like it wants to be an intro, but I don't think it works as an intro, maybe a bridge/interlude between parts again, like I mention with riff 1
Riff 6 - I don't know what to think about this one... I liked it, until the end :p:
Riff 7 - This one felt kind off messy... I think it would sound a lot better played on a real guitar with some drums!

Spark1284
12-14-2006, 06:56 PM
2, 5 and the first half of six were the only ones i didnt like, the end of 6 was really good i love the prog feel to it but, 2 sounded pretty average and 5 just wasnt that good. its an awesome collection of thrash riffs honestly and most if not all of them were around the same scale together it could be one awesome song

Hallows_Eve
12-14-2006, 08:16 PM
2, 5 and the first half of six were the only ones i didnt like, the end of 6 was really good i love the prog feel to it but, 2 sounded pretty average and 5 just wasnt that good. its an awesome collection of thrash riffs honestly and most if not all of them were around the same scale together it could be one awesome song

All different intervals of the Harmonic Minor (except the first one, which is a Diatonic scale.. Locrian, I think...?), so I might use the better ones to make a new song. Might use the 3rd riff as a sax intro, or on guitar as verse riff, not sure which'd be better.