Installing my new Wilkinson bridge

PDA

View Full Version : Installing my new Wilkinson bridge

Kris_man
12-14-2006, 01:58 AM
It came with a claw for the spring cavity which is about a centimetre less width than the stock one on my Mexican strat - is there any disadvantage in leaving the stock one in there and just replacing the rest of the bridge?

In other words, replace spring cavity claw - yay or nay?

forsaknazrael
12-14-2006, 02:42 AM
It's just a spring claw. Don't worry about it.

Kris_man
12-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Cool, thanks. Bigger problem: I go to "drop in" the new bridge, and the screw holes are slightly out. Shit. What do I do? Force the screws in there at an angle?

Will_Minus
12-15-2006, 12:23 AM
How off are they? Try putting it on. If it doesn't fit, you could pay someone to file away some metal on the bridge around the little crannie for the post. Or you could plug the holes for the old posts, and then re-drill the posts.

forsaknazrael
12-15-2006, 01:53 AM
You could stick toothpicks and wood glue in there and redrill it a bit, like Will Minus said.
I had a similiar problem, when installing one, and just stuck a bit of wood glue in there to tighten the holes a bit. Mounted fine.

tongue untied
12-15-2006, 02:09 AM
^ i wouldnt use toothpicks- id use a dowel- if were talking bout pivot post- if there jsut screw holes, then toothpicks wouold work fine

forsaknazrael
12-15-2006, 02:17 AM
Yeah, it sounded to me it was the mounting screws. The 6 ones on the front.
Pivot post? Heh?

tongue untied
12-15-2006, 02:22 AM
^ im not very knowledgeable on wilkinson trems- but i thought they all used pivot post like American strat? maybe not- idk

forsaknazrael
12-15-2006, 02:24 AM
Oh, I see. A two-point tremolo. No, no. There's different models. There's the two point trem, and there's the 5+1. I have the 5+1 style, and I'm guessing this guy does too.

tongue untied
12-15-2006, 02:27 AM
^ ahhh- ok.

then toothpicks should work fin..though i think that it would be smarter to sand some of the body away than try to redrill the wholes

forsaknazrael
12-15-2006, 02:35 AM
Honestly, i think putting some wood glue in there is enough. Don't even need to fill the holes.
That stuff hardens pretty good, and fills in any gap without a problem.
I've been dive bombing since I did mine, and it's been great.

tongue untied
12-15-2006, 02:37 AM
^ yea- but if you move the holes, will the strings still line up correctly? idk- ive yet to use one of those bridges

forsaknazrael
12-15-2006, 02:39 AM
Oh, I didn't move them at all.
Just placed a bit of glue inside, on the walls of the screw hole, so the screws wouldn't be loose.

Kris_man
12-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, but I don't know jack about drilling, so I think I'm gonna send this thing back. The post spacing measurement they gave on Ebay, 2 1/16", was different to the actual width, 2 1/8". The same goes for the string spacing too, so even if I did drill new holes, the strings would still be slightly out and at an angle.

Ebay - **** it can be a pain.

forsaknazrael
12-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, they're measuring from the center of the hole, I'm pretty sure man. So they might not take backa refund, ya know? In their eyes, they're right.