David Gilmour solo albums?

PDA

View Full Version : David Gilmour solo albums?

GUNZI
12-14-2006, 02:24 AM
i listen toa fairbit of pink floyd and love davids guitar work.... imo his the most expesive guitarist ive ever heard. anyway what do u think of his solo ablums? i havent heard any of his solo work but im interested to andf woundering if its any good. my favurite floyd albums would be the obviuse ones (darkside, wish you were hear and the wall). so if you can help that would be rad

wooda
12-14-2006, 11:12 AM
I love his work with Pink Floyd, its just great, its a perfect example that you don't need to play a million notes per second to be a good soloist.
As for his solo work, his On an Island album is great, very laid back, and I personally like every single song on it, and if you're in the mood it is truly great, even if you aren't its still very good.
His album About face is also great, although it can get occasionally poppy, I don't mind that, and although it isn't as consistent as On an Island I like it more than On an Island, it just feels more energetic, and its songs are more memorable as individual pieces rather than mood setters.
His first album (Appropriately called David Gilmour) isn't all that good, its nice, but nothing really interesting, theres only one song really worth the purchase of it, 'There's no way out of here'.

DeSean
12-14-2006, 02:24 PM
I've heard On An Island. I thought it was quite good. Not as good as any of his Pink Floyd work though.

BrainDamage
12-14-2006, 07:47 PM
I like all three of them. On an Island is very relaxed and mellow. Both of his other solo albums have some great guitar work on them.

Gin_Rummy
12-14-2006, 09:42 PM
His first album (Appropriately called David Gilmour) isn't all that good, its nice, but nothing really interesting, theres only one song really worth the purchase of it, 'There's no way out of here'.

There's No Way Out of Here is definitely the best piece of work on that CD, but Raise my Rent and Short and Sweet aren't bad either, the latter of which I think is probably the second best song on the album.

EJ NL
12-15-2006, 09:08 AM
To me, the album 'David Gilmour' is better than About Face...more focused, I like his guitarsolo's more. and it's more balanced...

About Face has some nice tunes also, Let's Get Metapsychical, Murder, and the live version of Near The End is fantastic! Like 7 minutes guitarsolo's haha...crazy. But most songs of About Face are to poppy to me. I really like On An Island, it's definatly Gilmour's best album so far... all songs are pretty nice, well written...

My favorite Gilmour songs are On An Island and... So Far Away :) I consider the last song as his best!