should i learn Prog Rock?

PDA

View Full Version : should i learn Prog Rock?

aL13
12-14-2006, 11:31 AM
well...two very good guitarists have told me to listen and practice songs under the genre of Progressive Rock for me to get better faster...

is this true?,,,if so what bands or songs can you suggest for me?

La Qotsa
12-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Usually, yes, it's all about Speed. Why not learn some?

sTx
12-14-2006, 11:46 AM
If you want speed, yet class, I recommend thrash metal.

Listen to Slayer's Angel of Death. Pure buttsecks.

i cant play
12-14-2006, 01:24 PM
yes, most progressive rock is way harder to play than basic rock or metal so it will make you better faster. especially if you practice songs without tabs. these are some of the more known prog bands. you can listen to songs at www.progarchives.com

easier stuff

genesis (70s, not the 80s stuff)
king crimson
camel
jethro tull
porcupine tree
gentle giant

harder stuff

yes
dream theater
flower kings
spock's beard
symphony x

sTx
12-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Porcupine Tree. Butt-secks. :sexsmile:
shesmovedon :headbang:.

garden of grey
12-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Prog is more about odd time signatures and is close to jazz in some ways. Not sure where this whole idea of constant 16th notes comes from....

Prog will make you a great guitarist if you can understand and play it, but it is not mindless 16th notes in 4/4.

psychodelia
12-14-2006, 02:13 PM
^Agreed. If speed is just what you're after, I wouldn't recommend classic prog, although I do enjoy it quite a bit.

flamencogod
12-14-2006, 03:09 PM
spock's beard! ownage

for the record, just playing and listening progrock won't make you a better player. A lot of prog stuff is on a harder and advances level but it's not just prog rock that teaches you to be a better player, it mostly is yourself

VaiSatchLaiho
12-14-2006, 07:46 PM
It seems to me that the truly demanding aspect of Progressive Rock is that you have to learn how to play in unusual time signatures with other musicians.

I'm not sure where the whole speed thing came from. That isn't what prog is about.

Yespleasevicar
12-15-2006, 08:13 AM
If you get into prog i found it helps you adapt to new styles very quickly. Im learning some latin rhythm patterns at the moment and im convinced that prog has made this 10 times easier for me. I recomend learning some Dream Theater and King Crimson stuff maybe some Atonal Zappa stuff?

xxdarrenxx
12-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Doesn't he mean get better faster as in. Learn to play better guitar faster and more advanced as opposed when you play punk music all day. If he means that then he's completely right.

FASt as in progressing not PLAYING

Paper Snowman
12-16-2006, 12:07 AM
I was first intoduced to Pink Floyd. Floyd led me to Dream Theater. Once there, John Petrucci's amazing guitar skills motivated me to play more often and dabble in many genres, from jazz to shred.

PooKoo
12-16-2006, 12:51 AM
And I enjoy the finer aspects of good italian meat.

There, now we've both contributed equally.
Nah, I kid. Prog can help I guess, most of the stuff doesn't appeal to me to learn so much, al lthe syncopation and odd stuff, but I do enjoy learning all the odd chords, and great progressions, stuff like that. Porcupine tree = love.

aL13
12-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Doesn't he mean get better faster as in. Learn to play better guitar faster and more advanced as opposed when you play punk music all day. If he means that then he's completely right.

that's exactly what I mean..

psychodelia
12-16-2006, 01:50 AM

Ha. The non-english speaker comprehended it better than I did. Well, good job Darren :haha :bonk:

xxdarrenxx
12-16-2006, 05:25 AM
haha the problem lies in that i'm not taking the time for my posts to write so i used grammar from my own language and words from english so it's a bit weird.

You should have seen me type in my own language that's far worse :p: